PDA

View Full Version : Pink Floyd to release PULSE DVD

DEFYANT
10-05-2005, 07:07 AM
Well it took long enough, but it seems to have been worth the wait.

Read it for yourselves:

Pink Floyd to release PULSE DVD

On 5 December 2005, Pink Floyd will release their much anticipated DVD, PULSE, on EMI Records. This landmark release captures the last ever Pink Floyd tour in 1994, and was filmed at London's Earls Court, on one of the recordbreaking 14 nights there. The two disc release contains a full concert performance from Pink Floyd's 80 date global Division Bell tour, with rare backstage footage and previously unseen extras.

Pink Floyd are a band whose innovative and groundbreaking music is matched by the startling imagery created by longtime design collaborator, Storm Thorgerson. The Pulse DVD looks as good as it sounds, mixed in mind expanding 5.1 surround sound and digitally remastered by James Guthrie, it includes a magical collection of exclusive extras, new artwork and menu graphics designed by Thorgerson.

The concert is in two parts, the first half sees seminal performances by David Gilmour, Nick Mason and Richard Wright of tracks such as Shine on You Crazy Diamond, Another Brick in the Wall (Part 2), One of These Days and Keep Talking, while disc two features the classic album The Dark Side of the Moon performed in its entirety. Never before seen rarities include Bootlegging the Bootleggers, behind the scenes footage showing a snapshot of life on the road with one of the world's biggest rock bands and a screen film of Speak to Me. The Pulse DVD captures Pink Floyd's final concert tour, although no-one knew it to be at the time. It was the last concert they played together live, and their show-stopping appearance at this year's Live 8, confirmed their legendary status.

Running Time Over 3 hours

Technical Details Speaker ID, Pink Noise inc 'Audio Setup' Dolby Digital 5.1 448 kbps, Dolby Digital 5.1 640 kbps. Stereo

Tracklisting Disc 1

Concert Part 1:

Shine On
Learning To Fly
High Hopes
Take It Back
Coming Back To Life
Sorrow
Keep Talking
Another Brick In The Wall Pt 2
One of These Days

Screen Films:

Shine On
High Hopes
Learning to Fly

Bootlegging the Bootleggers:

What Do You Want From Me
On The Turning Way
Poles Apart
Marooned

Shorts:

Time (Eames)
Money (Alien)
Speak To Me 1987
Pulse TV Advert

Videos:

Learning To Fly
Take It Back

Tracklisting Disc 2

Concert Part 2:

Speak To Me
Breathe
On The Run
Time
The Great Gig In The Sky
Money
Us And Them
Brain Damage
Eclipse
Wish You Were Here
Comfortably Numb
Run Like Hell

Screen Films:

Speak To Me (graphic)
On The Run
Time 1994
The Great Gig in the Sky (wave)
Money
Us And Them 1987
Brain Damage
Eclipse

Alternate Screen Films:

The Great Gig In The Sky (animation)
Us And Them 1994

Behind the Scenes Footage:

Goodbye to Life As We Know It
Wish You Were Here:

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony

Photo Gallery

GarageMahal
10-05-2005, 07:19 AM
Great news!

hitchhiker
10-05-2005, 08:50 AM
..... Cool! .....

Thanks for the info.

Dave

:D

mtnh
10-05-2005, 10:22 AM
I bought the VHS version of that in 1995, and that tape absolutely brings the house down. On DVD, with the added features, it will be worth every penny it sells for. I remember running my 100-watt Onkyo receiver at 100% and having the sound be perfectly clear, but when the plane crashes (literally) onto the stage in the sequence of "on the run" going into "time" (from the dark side of the moon) my receiver went dead silent and displayed "overload" in the matrix display. Wow. This is probably the best reason yet for december to get here! Thanks for sharing the news.

DEFYANT
10-05-2005, 10:31 AM
I bought the VHS version of that in 1995, and that tape absolutely brings the house down. On DVD, with the added features, it will be worth every penny it sells for. I remember running my 100-watt Onkyo receiver at 100% and having the sound be perfectly clear, but when the plane crashes (literally) onto the stage in the sequence of "on the run" going into "time" (from the dark side of the moon) my receiver went dead silent and displayed "overload" in the matrix display. Wow. This is probably the best reason yet for december to get here! Thanks for sharing the news.

You would have loved the Laser Disk version. Audiophile (sp?) performance, if you can tollerate the disk flipping and having to deal with two discs.

GreekGod
10-05-2005, 07:08 PM
Being a Pink Floyd fan as I am, I feel compelled to recommend the DVD "Pink Floyd Live At Pompeii". I think I payed about $20 for mine at Best Buy earlier this year. If you've never seen it and you are a fan, it's a must have. It is a timeless gem that loses little from the original which I saw on the big screen. It has added footage from the original release.

DEFYANT
10-05-2005, 10:11 PM
Being a Pink Floyd fan as I am, I feel compelled to recommend the DVD "Pink Floyd Live At Pompeii". I think I payed about $20 for mine at Best Buy earlier this year. If you've never seen it and you are a fan, it's a must have. It is a timeless gem that loses little from the original which I saw on the big screen. It has added footage from the original release.
I'll second that.

They really functioned as a single unit during that concert!

GreekGod
10-06-2005, 04:23 AM
As a teaser, I should mention the concert is at the actual Pompeii amphitheater in Italy and there are no concertgoers! Proper listening requires an amp that goes to 11. One scene that should be replayed is when the drummer loses a drumstick, grabs another, and never loses a beat. Pliny the Elder would have loved it. That darned Mt. Vesuvius just ruined everything.

python357
10-06-2005, 04:42 PM
I saw them at the old stadium the New England Patriots used to play at for the Division Bell Tour it was Awsome, was in the wrong place at the wrong time when the Wall tour went thru. I will be purchaseing that DVD. Thanks for the info.

MERCMAN
12-12-2005, 12:12 PM
the release of Pulse has been delayed until Jan. 17th. :(

Rider90
12-12-2005, 12:28 PM
How did I miss this thread?? Awesome!

http://www.midwestpanthers.net/garage/gallery/8large.jpg

jimlam56
12-12-2005, 05:24 PM
Great news!
To this day, every time I hear Dark Side of the Moon, I remember where the tracks change on my old Muntz 8 track in the 66 Mustang fastback with the shackles on the rear end... Ah, those were the days...

TripleTransAm
12-12-2005, 06:43 PM
I'm just waiting for Wizard of Oz to play on TV sometime this Christmas so I can DVR it... I've been wanting to try to check out that myth I heard for years of the movie sync'ing up perfectly with the Dark Side of the Moon album.

GreekGod
12-12-2005, 07:34 PM
It's not a myth, it is one of the most strange coincidences in the history of man. The video is available cheap everywhere.

DEFYANT
12-12-2005, 07:36 PM
I'm just waiting for Wizard of Oz to play on TV sometime this Christmas so I can DVR it... I've been wanting to try to check out that myth I heard for years of the movie sync'ing up perfectly with the Dark Side of the Moon album.

It is no myth. The down side is you have to listen to DSOTM three times to get throught the movie. But it is a valid sync.

Thanks fot the update on this thread. I completely forgot to post on this.

Marauder386
12-12-2005, 09:46 PM
Ohhhhh yeah ... :bandit: :rasta: .... Gonna git me a present of my own now...

:cool:

DEFYANT
12-12-2005, 09:57 PM
Here are the details on Pink Floyd synchronicities (http://www.pinkfloydfan.net/pink_floyd_synchronicities.php ). Enjoy.:D

GarageMahal
12-12-2005, 10:20 PM
It is no myth. The down side is you have to listen to DSOTM three times to get throught the movie. But it is a valid sync.

Thanks fot the update on this thread. I completely forgot to post on this.

The first time I played DSotM to the Wizzard, I queued the CD up in its permanant home in the changer. I didn't realize it until later, but WYWH was in the changer and started right after DSotM ended. It syned up fabulously from there. It was a bit spooky when Welcome to the Machine came on when Dorthy meets the wizzard.

jta

*the author of this post assumes no responsibily for its accuracy as any memories used in making the post may have been altered before, during, or after the event being recalled, if said event even occurred at all *

TripleTransAm
12-13-2005, 09:32 AM
In my younger days, I used to revel in the 'overall experience', the marriage between light and sound to create something larger than the sum of the parts. Interestingly enough, while the above statement might imply something else, I must firmly maintain that any 'mind altering' that went on was solely due to alcohol and nothing else... one of the side effects of being born with bum lungs (or at the very least, having them go bad by the age of 18 months... thanks for smoking in the bedroom by my crib, dad!).

My 2 year stint in college radio (part-time DJ, full time technical supervisor) opened my mind to genres of music I had never been open to before. Thanks to lacking a pre-defined format, I was exposed to everything from the hard-core House music (of the late 80s) to speed/thrash/death metal, everything in between. One of those was progressive rock music, which began by mistake by leaving a Marillion album playing on the turntable beyond the released 'single' track. After a few listens, WOW. What musicianship. And from there, I branched to Yes, Genesis, etc. but always sticking to the 'safe stuff' (ie. post '76 Genesis, the common Yes stuff like Roundabout, etc.).

In 1993 that all changed. A coworker who was big into the pre-75 Genesis took me to a small venue to see a local band recreate the Spring 1974 "Selling England by the Pound" concert. I was quite intrigued by the accurately-reproduced props and lighting effects (and slide projections) and the next day I had a listen to the actual album (which I was not really familiar with). OH MY GOD! It was then that I realized how FAITHFULLY they recreated the album sound yet played live, with all the live effects exactly as it was in 1973-1974! From 1993 to 2003, I went on to see them perform this act (and a "Nursery Crime/Foxtrot" circa-1972 act as well) about 35-40 times, even getting to visit the keyboardist at his home and checking out his stash of Mellotrons.

And from there, of course I branched out to the early King Crimson stuff, the other Yes albums, even going as far as the bands from Italy and (surprisingly enough) Sweden is a hotbed of old-style 70s prog as if it never went out of style! Nowadays I've had the pleasure of familiarizing myself with Uriah Heap, the more obscure Kansas, all the way to the semi-present with neo-prog like Clepsydra (from Switzerland).

And all these years I NEVER had the opportunity to try this Pink Floyd/ Wizard sync experiment. I suspect I was simply afraid it would turn out to be a bust.

Looking forward to trying it out this christmas break...

SergntMac
12-13-2005, 10:02 AM
Thanks, Charlie, this will be a keeper in my center console. I'm also pleased to see they included "Learn to Fly", really like that a lot.

X369
12-13-2005, 10:11 AM
Great news!
To this day, every time I hear Dark Side of the Moon, I remember where the tracks change on my old Muntz 8 track in the 66 Mustang fastback with the shackles on the rear end... Ah, those were the days...

Yeah, I still cringe in anticipation of those track changes! Check out Dark Side of the Moon on super audio cd (SACD) 5.1 !!!
:rasta:

ncmm
02-21-2006, 11:27 PM
did anyone ever get their Pulse DVD? my order was cancelled and they say no release date is available, however. . .there is a new David Gilmour solo album due in March!

jimlam56
02-22-2006, 03:59 AM
did anyone ever get their Pulse DVD? my order was cancelled and they say no release date is available, however. . .there is a new David Gilmour solo album due in March!
Mine's been on order since last year...now they're saying September of this year...
The David Gilmour album is great, I had an opportunity to hear most of it a few months back, can't wait till March 7th!

Rider90
02-22-2006, 08:46 AM
I just got the On an Island single from Gilmour (6:47) sounds very nice. I can hardly wait for his CD.

Rider90
02-22-2006, 09:45 AM
According to Amazon.com, the Pulse DVD will be released September 12th, 2006.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BTC5LW/qid=1140626641/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/104-8237303-1159152?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=130

Rider90
02-22-2006, 09:48 AM
Home/Garage Decor... http://www.art.com/asp/search/ProductSearch-asp/_/search_String--pink+floyd/posters.htm?filteroptions=0&isSearch=Y&ui=E15A11503FEE403FA45CC0B8A00 8B901

DEFYANT
02-22-2006, 04:24 PM
Is anyone going to see Gilmour in concert? I got one ticket for the NY 4/5 show. It was very expensive!!! But I got a good seat. I can't wait!

GreekGod
02-22-2006, 05:42 PM
The Gray Floyd