PDA

View Full Version : Are you too young to own a MM?

Ozz
10-05-2005, 10:07 AM
I am 'only' 34 and have had my MM since 8-1 and I am already getting sick of:
A) Getting hit on at gas stations by significantly 'older' ladies who like my car.
and
B) Being made fun of by my soccer-mom van driving neighbors for driving an 'old mans car'.

My neighbor lady (who is ~37) commented that it looked like I has skipped middle age and went straight to being a senior citizen. WTF?

I think the problem is that people see our cars in one of two ways:
1. Marauder - as a unique vehicle
2. Modified Grand Marquis

Since the average Grand Marquis buyer is 70+, it is those people in category 2 above that irritate me.
I am tempted to go S/C'd just so I can spread a couple patches of smoky burnout brake torque joy in my neighbors driveways.

What do you think?

torinodan
10-05-2005, 10:10 AM
Do they like the smell of burning rubber? Let them try a little!:burnout:

Big House
10-05-2005, 10:13 AM
Ozz,

I use to feel like that espically when I go to the track and I am the only 4 door family car out there amongst the 2 door sports cars. But when you lay down 14.3s and 14.5 consistantly, it makes me feel a little better. But trust me, that are nor worried about your age, but rather what you do for a living...ergo Law enforcement or something. Don't sweat the looks just ride on. Just to let you know I am younger than you.

Big House

Ozz
10-05-2005, 10:15 AM
Is there any way to make the rear tires spin on a stock MM aside from brake torquing it (or doing something else that may cause great mechanical harm such as reverse drops, etc)?

My neighbor has a modified WRX (in addition to the Honda van) so they already know what tire smoke smells like... Her husband inplied that his van was faster than my MM...
:lol:

BruteForce
10-05-2005, 10:16 AM
More burnouts... best done at odd hours for full effect. :D

twolow
10-05-2005, 10:21 AM
It looks like a Marquis and non-car people don't notice chrome tips or fancy wheels. I get it to and just have to ignore it.

They see the car for what it is, a Marquis. Laying rubber/supercharger won't prove them wrong as my mom or grandma would think that any car can go fast or burn out if the gas is floored, something neither of them have ever done to their own car.

To most, a Civic Si is still a Civic. A Frontier SC is still a Frontier. A Cobra is still a Mustang. A Marauder is still a Marquis. Hell, my title even tells me I have a Grand Marquis.

Bluerauder
10-05-2005, 10:22 AM
My neighbor lady (who is ~37) commented that it looked like I has skipped middle age and went straight to being a senior citizen. WTF?

What do you think?
I think that you need to offer to take the "neighbor lady" for a little ride !! :rolleyes: You probably also need to stop gassing up on AARP discount day !! :rofl:

Big House
10-05-2005, 10:24 AM
A Honda Oddesey Van? Race him....and destroy him. and not there really isn't anyother way of accomplishing that feat. You could drop about a grand and get yourself a PI stallion Torque converter...that will allow you to light'em up on a whim.

HwyCruiser
10-05-2005, 10:28 AM
A) Getting hit on at gas stations by significantly 'older' ladies who like my car.
and
...What do you think?

How much 'older' are we talking about here? :D

Seriously, tint the windows, get SS Inserts and a badgeless grill and your Marauder will change personality real quick. Supercharger is optional.

Breadfan
10-05-2005, 10:34 AM
I'm 24, most people my age are into sport compacts...but I tend to go against the grain. :)

My uncle asked me why I bought the Marauder, he said "your way to young for that car." It didn't phase me really, I've heard it from a few others. But it's a sweet car still. :)

Maybe he said that because he was jealous and wanted to trade me his Acura...no way in h**l. :)

the_pack_rat
10-05-2005, 10:37 AM
So your car is attracting OLDER women .... I fail to see the problem here.

:D

Anywhoo ...

We have two female friends(50+) that can't tell the difference between the 97 TC & the MM. The TC being "Cordovan" red which is a just a pinch or two lighter than DTR.

When I asked the one how she could possibly think one looked like the other ..... she responded "well they are both the same color & old mans cars - they look the same to me".

:eek:

I forsee a scene similar to the begining of the Blues Brothers ..... next time she's in the MM :P.

When push really comes to shove tho .....

I could care less if people think I'm driving an old mans car. My tastes in automobiles are more traditional anyway & I take pride in that.

You could give me 10 million dollar$ tomorrow ... & thoughts of something like a Ferrari or Lamborghini would NEVER even cross my mind. I'd still own the same kinds of cars ... just WAY more of them with each & every one getting a nice "performance" drivetrain rebuild sooner or later ... with money being NO object. I do however have a sweetspot for the 2005+ Mustang convertibles ..... first Mustang I really ever had a MAJOR CRAVING for in my life.

BTW ...

When the hell did a MINIVAN become a cooler thing to have than a sedan ? ..... those soocer moms sound like the really need some ALONE time.

Must have missed that memo.

Cheeseheadbob
10-05-2005, 10:47 AM
My title states the same along with my insurance. I probably have the cheapest insurance for a 450+ HP car in America. I'm not complaining. Oh and to those unenlightened people who think you drive an old man's car, get S/C'd and lay a nice long patch in front of their house...:D
Hell, my title even tells me I have a Grand Marquis.

chicago_cop
10-05-2005, 10:55 AM
and
B) Being made fun of by my soccer-mom van driving neighbors for driving an 'old mans car'.

Since the average Grand Marquis buyer is 70+, it is those people in category 2 above that irritate me.
I am tempted to go S/C'd just so I can spread a couple patches of smoky burnout brake torque joy in my neighbors driveways.

What do you think?

You must live arround a lot of re tards. I have had just the opposite. I am 63 and have had the opposite coments. I have had maybe 50 people of all ages who have lusted after my car, and not one have refered it to an old mans car. My 32yr old daughter is the one who talked me into buying it because she did not want me driving an old mans car. She is a soccer mom. My wife named my car "Rocky" Aggressive, and in your face. Maybe their stuck on stupid (about cars that is)

Smokie
10-05-2005, 10:59 AM
Older ladies are wiser;) Don't waste a perfectly good opportunity.

On a more serious note, as already suggested, tint, SS bumper inserts and Marauder door sills add class.
A custom tune can put your car at mid 14's, add a CAI and either 4:10's or exhaust work (my choice was exhaust) and you have a car not to be trifled with.:D

Sully008
I get the "old man's car" schtick from my friends, but I know they're only joking. I used to get it a lot when I had my CVLX. I never found small cars to be appealing. I grew up and learned to drive in my parents' 1977 Mercury Colony Park wagon. It had a 460. Wouldn't worry about it too much. They're just jealous.

BillyGman

What do you think?Time to produce a burnout DVD and hand a copy to everyone who says that to you. :D Not very many people hit me w/that "old man's car" routine, although it has happened a couple times when my car was bone stock. The couple times that I was hit with that type of comment, I simply said that there aren't any small "sporty" 2 door cars for under $60K made these days that have body styles that are as good looking as that of the Marauder, and that shut them right up. I think that most people know that's true. Maybe people don't give me that "old man's car" comment anymore because of the hi-perf sound of the Kooks headers and magnaflow mufflers. it might also have something to do with me being a litle bit older than you too, I dunno.

The real cool thing is, that people who don't know me, who pull up along side my car at a red traffic light, must be thinking that "old man's car" theory too, but it often turns out that when the light turns green, and they try to pass me and they can't even keep up with me, they're shocked at how my car moves, and all of a sudden, they LUV the car and look at it in a whole new light. I've had so many people in the summer months roll down their window at the next traffic light stop, and say...."What did you do to that thing??!!".....and "That thing is BAD".... It's become the ultimate "sleeper" for me. It's also become the most enjoyable car that I've ever driven. I think that the biggest challenge for me has been trying to avoid having too much fun if you know what I mean. :D

RoyLPita
10-05-2005, 11:09 AM
I don't care what people think. I'm happy with what I have.

Leadfoot281
10-05-2005, 11:17 AM
Shortly after I bought my Marauder, I heard my ex-girlfriend was telling people that I went out and bought another cop car. Her new boyfriend came up behind the Marauder a week after I bought it and tried to pass it with his "salvage title" 96 Mustang GT.

That cleared things up real fast!!!!!

People will always respect "fast". Doesn't matter what it is. If you drive a Fairmont wagon, and you just totally humiliated some a-hole in a (fast car here) you've proved your point.

I test drove a 96 Firebird (LT-1, 6spd) and it was only fun when the gas peddle was on the floor. It sucked the rest of the time. The Marauder is fun ALL the time. Even at 30 mph.

Send those ladies my way! The Marauder is fun even when it's NOT moving!!!:D

mrjones
10-05-2005, 11:21 AM
When I had my MM for its first oil change at the Ford dealer, a couple of 70somethings in a Town Car came up and asked me about my car and told me how pretty it was. I'm only 44, but I enjoy the attention of the ladies at any age! :D

BillyGman
10-05-2005, 11:25 AM
Shortly after I bought my Marauder, I heard my ex-girlfriend was telling people that I went out and bought another cop car. Her new boyfriend came up behind the Marauder a week after I bought it and tried to pass it with his "salvage title" 96 Mustang GT.

That cleared things up real fast!!!!!

People will always respect "fast". Doesn't matter what it is. If you drive a Fairmont wagon, and you just totally humiliated some a-hole in a (fast car here) you've proved your point.

I test drove a 96 Firebird (LT-1, 6spd) and it was only fun when the gas peddle was on the floor. It sucked the rest of the time. The Marauder is fun ALL the time. Even at 30 mph.

Send those ladies my way! The Marauder is fun even when it's NOT moving!!!:D Great post! I agree 100%

94_302
10-05-2005, 11:28 AM
Are you too young to own a MM?
No, because you can never be too young to have fun. :party:

ridinclean
10-05-2005, 12:03 PM
First of all we do not own Grand Marquis's, we own a Marauder! Theres a difference, a big difference. For those who think otherwise are ignorant. Let them think what they want. I love my Marauder, it has style and class and best of all its not something that you see on the road very often. Its special, better than the rest.

You arent too old to drive a Marauder, I'm 22 and have plenty of girls my age who love my car. :cool: I say we all get S/Ced and call it a day, then pull up on those **** talkers and see whats up...

wchain
10-05-2005, 12:18 PM
and

What do you think?

Just start wearing dark suits, slicking your hair back, and referring to people as 'friends of ours' and tell them you need the car because it has a nice big trunk for 'doing business'.

And if that doesnt work, get some whistle tips and leave for work, VERY early, like before they get up for brefas!
http://images15.fotki.com/v226/photos/4/41821/141880/BubbBush-vi.jpg

Oh yeah, I love paying Grand Marquis insurance rates on my Marauder! :lol:

oldekid
10-05-2005, 12:24 PM
You arent too old to drive a Marauder, I'm 22 and have plenty of girls my age who love my car. :cool: I say we all get S/Ced and call it a day, then pull up on those **** talkers and see whats up...22. . ? Now that really is too young to drive a Marauder. . . . Just kidding!
Go get 'em Scooter. . . . :beer:

LordVader
10-05-2005, 12:38 PM
:coolman: I agree with gang. You're never too young to enjoy a good thing. Down deep you know you don't care about the comments...when you bought it, you did it because it made you smile!! I love my car and they only way they will get it, is to pry it from my cold "dead" hands! Besides, you know that with the bling wheels you're the neighborhood pimp!

RF Overlord
10-05-2005, 12:45 PM
Ozz, the short answer is "no".

When I was growing up, my family usually had a LeSabre or an Electrolux 225 or some other boat. When I got my license in '72, all I could afford was a big ol' 1960 Biscayne (remember THOSE?), which I loved. I've just never felt comfortable (or even safe) in some of those econo-boxes...big "old peoples" cars rule!

Bluerauder
10-05-2005, 01:27 PM
... Lesabre or an Electrolux 225.
Man, that really sucks !!! :rofl:

When I got my license in '72, all I could afford was a big ol' 1960 Biscayne (remember THOSE?), which I loved. I've just never felt comfortable (or even safe) in some of those econo-boxes...big "old peoples" cars rule!
Ah yes the Biscayne, the poor man's Impala and the working man's Bel Air. :rolleyes:

DeepSea117
10-05-2005, 01:53 PM
For me, there's two types of people who make statements about my Marauder.

You have the "that's an old man's car" person, who obviously isn't a car person, and you have the "wow, that's a Marauder!" person. The latter half of people surprise me. In a recent BBQ cruise, one of the millions of Audi A4 owners out there walked over to me during a stop for some oysters and said, "nice Marauder". this was the guy I was driving BEHIND for about an hour. On the other hand, you have my adolescent gawky freshman in high school cousin, who says "only old people" drive that car--till I revved the engine. He dropped his jaw, and all the other cousins started clowning him..you gotta love juvenile in-your-faces like that! :)

A fraternity brother who I hadn't seen in ages knew a lot more about the Marauder than I expected the average person, rattling off production numbers and details, and he too was a car guy. A strange guy on a bicycle in front of the police station says loudly to himself as we walks by, "Niiiice!" Then he looks up from the shiny wheels and says even louder, "NIIICE CAR!"

My Marauder gets looks from all walks of life, partially cuz of the cop car look, and partially cuz it looks so damn good! Although the fact that a Marauder is known around here, in the state with probably the least amount of Marauders to car owners, it kinda worries me that people know what to look for. I only say this because my other car (93 Honda Civic) was just stolen and recovered, hence being in front of the police station. It doesn't help to have TWO cars that appear Top-10 lists for stolen vehicles.

I f-ckin hate car thieves!!!

I loooooove my Marauder :bandit:

Mad4Macs
10-05-2005, 02:06 PM
Old people's car? Only someone utterly clueless about cars can say that, and I don't care about their opinions anyway. Heck, I've been followed into a car wash by a brand new 'Vette and complimented on my Marauder, and have had people offer to buy it while at the gas station.
Now that's, what I care about!

LVMarauder
10-05-2005, 02:15 PM
Is there any way to make the rear tires spin on a stock MM aside from brake torquing it (or doing something else that may cause great mechanical harm such as reverse drops, etc)?

A 3000 stall Torque conveter . Punch it from a dead stop and you will light them up

ckadiddle
10-05-2005, 02:57 PM
Old people's car? Only someone utterly clueless about cars can say that, and I don't care about their opinions anyway. Heck, I've been followed into a car wash by a brand new 'Vette and complimented on my Marauder, and have had people offer to buy it while at the gas station.
Now that's, what I care about!The car wash guys love firing up the Marauder since I had the exhaust opened up.

johnfain
10-05-2005, 03:20 PM

My neighbor has a modified WRX (in addition to the Honda van) so they already know what tire smoke smells like... Her husband inplied that his van was faster than my MM...

HURST Line - Lock. About 100 bucks. Lock up the fronts and spin the backs all day.

johnfain
10-05-2005, 03:22 PM
Oh yeah, I love paying Grand Marquis insurance rates on my Marauder! :lol:

True that.

Blackened300a
10-05-2005, 03:27 PM

Hold your foot on the Brake, Bring the Revs up to About 1800, At the Same time you Release the Brake, Slam the Gas Pedal Down, In the Cold, Ill Get almost 20' Of Spin, In the Heat, More like 5' and thats If Im Lucky!

Bigdogjim
10-05-2005, 03:33 PM
and
I think the problem is in your head?

Did you buy this car to make the neighbors happy or yourself?

Tell the guy with the Honda van that his eye are starting to slant:rofl:
(at night throw rice under his van)

Last option is move!

Marauder2005
10-05-2005, 03:43 PM
and

What do you think?
Well my first car was a 96 Lincoln Town Car, then a '99 Crown Vic. Now its the Marauder, I feel like Im getting younger, :lol:

Agent M79
10-05-2005, 04:06 PM
I live in a fairly quiet subdivision right on a 4-way corner where my boy and all his hoodrat friends like to loiter. They made the mistake one day of telling me about my old man car.

I waved them back up off the street and onto the side walk with a snarled "Stand back boys an' let me show ya what an ol' man can do..."

With that I did a smokey donut right in the four-way, twice around to make the point, and then pulled to the middle and lit them up again straight down the road about 40 feet.

"There's your lollipop boys... suck on that!"

Now they call me sir and offer to wash and wax my car every weekend.

**Substantial parts of this post are ficticious, like everything after the first paragraph, and in no way resemble anything that has actually transpired.

RedMerc04
10-05-2005, 04:29 PM
Too young for a marauder? No way. Im 17 and my father is 55 and we fight over it all the time. Even my mother who is still apparently 29 loves it. So there you have it... it appeals to all age groups. It really just depends on a persons taste. We have good taste.

CBT
10-05-2005, 05:34 PM
I get comments from one end of the spectrum to the other. When someone asks why I drive an old man's car I just ask this: "Do you believe you are only as old as you feel?" When they say "Yes" , I grab my crotch and say "Then feel me and tell me how old you think I am." So far so good.

RR|Suki
10-05-2005, 05:42 PM
I get comments from one end of the spectrum to the other. When someone asks why I drive an old man's car I just ask this: "Do you believe you are only as old as you feel?" When they say "Yes" , I grab my crotch and say "Then feel me and tell me how old you think I am." So far so good.
AAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHA that's brilliant

jgc61sr2002
10-05-2005, 05:56 PM
Ozz - It's your ride, disregard what others say. IMO they are jealous.
And NO your not too young to own a Marauder. :D

Hotrauder
10-05-2005, 06:03 PM
My wife sent pics of my new Marauder to our son in Seattle. He emailed back,"Dad, that's an old mans car". I sent him pics from DR's Sept Fest at Gainesville and Orange Park. I also sent the video from Mosport..He wants to drive it when they visit...By then the S/C will be in...he may discover it when he hits the loud pedal...:beer: I love the stealth nature of our cars and the fact that "in the know" folks really appreciate them.

Tom Doan
10-05-2005, 06:34 PM
WIFE: Oh God not another preacher old mans car, honeyyyyyyy!
WIFE 5 minutes later: Pale, shaking, "mmm I think thats faster than The Roadrunner"

de minimus
10-05-2005, 07:12 PM
Ignore car talk from anyone driving a minivan. To that ilk, they regard cars as just another appliance. Even better go into their house and disparage their dishwasher..."wow, you don't have a stainless steel front?"

I get lots of positive comments..mostly from younger guys who appreciate style, horsepower and rarity.

BillyGman
10-05-2005, 10:16 PM
(at night throw rice under his van)

LOL!! That's a good one....I've never heard of that before....

RCSignals
10-05-2005, 10:36 PM
..................... Her husband inplied that his van was faster than my MM...

He's delusional. A Walter Mitty who thinks he owns a racing van.

Agent M79
10-05-2005, 11:06 PM
We own a 2002 H***a Odyssey. 240HP V-6. Most powerful production mini-van made at that time.

When we line up and the light, I murdlize the van by multiple car lengths.

But there was THIS (http://www.mercurymarauder.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10538).

Mike Poore
10-06-2005, 03:32 AM
Ozz, Just to let you know I am younger than you. Big HouseOZZ: .....Me too. :bricks:

Honestly, I never thought of it as an old man's car. I always had the impression that L/M was pushing the rebel without a cause image. Have you seen Mercury's advertizing poster with the scowling, dark jacketed guys at the drag strip? Start wearing your black leather MM jacket, keep a 1 3/4 day's beard and practice scowling.

Um, you're not driving one of them pu$$y color ones, like Silver Birch, are you? ;)

PS: if you don't have one, I'll send it. (the poster, not the jacket):)

seans
10-06-2005, 05:58 AM
I've only had positive comments about my marauder. The 17 and 18yrs olds at the garage where I bring my car drool over it and the mechanics have all offered either to buy it or trade it for their mustang cobra. So I'm very happy.

My car is also the only one that they will store inside if I have to leave it over nite.

Mad1
10-06-2005, 05:58 AM
I've had this car two years and I'm 33 now, but my experience is that people are "instantly" jealous when they see you pull up in a Marauder.

I've had toll takers, cops, random strangers at fast food joints, and gas station clerks all start chatting me up about the marauder. It always starts the same way, "Is that a Marauder? Those are awesome ..."

The last one was a clerk at a Shell station on Sunday ... who tells me he loves the marauder and he's going to buy one in a few years when he can get a used one cheap. I told him "good luck with that cause I don't think you'll find anyone willing to sell it 'cheap'" and then gave him the MMnet Web site to find out why.

Maybe you need to start doing some of the obvious "obsessive" car owner stuff in public to show them it's more than a marquis ... wiping off imaginary dust specks, detailing the car twice a week, measuring your burnouts for distance or posting track time slips on a bulletin board in the front yard?

Jeremy
Mad1

Mike Poore
10-06-2005, 06:19 AM
Jeremy
Mad1

"measuring your burnouts for distance or posting track time slips on a bulletin board in the front yard?"

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Now, that there's funny, I don't care who you are.:laugh:

Ozz
10-06-2005, 06:45 AM
Thanks for all the replies...

As far as 'older' ladies go, the ones that have talked to me at gas stations were more mother-like than ****. :rolleyes:

Here's one big reason we got the MM. We have been doing holiday travel in my wife's Nissan Sentra with two dogs (80 and 40 lbs) for several years and she said last year that by this fall I had to get something 'practical' that would haul the dogs and all our stuff... I looked at what would fit the bill and the MM rose to the top. I like the styling, power, etc. I just didn't see myself getting a Taurus or similar...

No, I didn't buy it for the neighbors but since my wife and I don't have any kids or other 'adult' restraints, I still feel closer to high school than retirement.
Like many men, I have resisted 'maturing' as long as possible. I don't think most people will disagree that this car generally apeals to a more 'mature' crowd. Noting wrong with that though... I just have to get used to it in my head. Kind of like a mini mid life crisis...

I love the rice idea! They usually park in the garage but I'll keep it in mind.

So where would I look for all these add on goodies (SS Inserts, something to replace the hockey stick badges, etc.)? I also plan to get a tune from Lidio in the spring so that will help I am sure.

04funmerc
10-06-2005, 07:41 AM
Isn't age a state of MIND??:D

Tell the ladies you bought the car for the full size leather couch in the back, you might get some eye glow;)

JIM

Haggis
10-06-2005, 08:36 AM
So where would I look for all these add on goodies (SS Inserts, something to replace the hockey stick badges, etc.)? I also plan to get a tune from Lidio in the spring so that will help I am sure.
Do a search here in the Threads or attend a local meet and talk to fellow Marauder owners. :up:

DefyantExWife
10-07-2005, 05:46 AM

It iz what it iz :lol:

Ozz
10-07-2005, 08:23 AM
No, it's not silver, I have a black MM (although I do like the silver ones).

The PO had the windows tinted and I put in bumper inserts (chrome). I still would like to change out the hockey stick emblems on the front and back but have found nothing.

I live in the Detroit area so I am close to Lidio and the Motor City Marauders club...

Hotrauder
10-07-2005, 08:56 AM
No, it's not silver, I have a black MM (although I do like the silver ones).

The PO had the windows tinted and I put in bumper inserts (chrome). I still would like to change out the hockey stick emblems on the front and back but have found nothing.

I live in the Detroit area so I am close to Lidio and the Motor City Marauders club...
Talk with them (MCM)..they know how to deal with older women. I tried the hockey sticks..Older women still wanted to talk to me!:beer:

ts-pa
10-07-2005, 09:23 AM
I say that you add a hitch, get a 16ft boat, load up the familiy and then race them. This would show them the power and the multi-task capability of the car that you have.:)

GodOSpeed
10-07-2005, 09:36 AM
A real raunchy exhaust note will provide ample separation. ;)

DeepSea117
10-07-2005, 07:07 PM
He's delusional. A Walter Mitty who thinks he owns a racing van.
Haha Walter Mitty...I never expected to read that!

RCSignals
10-07-2005, 11:18 PM

It iz what it iz :lol:

The 'older' ladies ?
:P