PDA

View Full Version : I hit a deer

rookie1
10-06-2005, 06:04 AM
Yep, I was going around 75mph down I94 westbound between Battle Creek and Paw Paw, MI. It was 11:30 PM or so and I was driving back from a fantastic golf trip in Northern MI.
I didn't even see the little bastage. I felt the bang and vaguely saw some 4 legged creature sailing through the air end over end to my right toward the grass several yards from the highway.
IT SCARED THE CRAP OUT OF ME. I was a little shook up so I kept an eye on my gauges and stopped about 15 minutes later in Paw Paw to survey the damage and grab a cup of coffee. I didn't stop immediately because 1: I was a little shook up, 2: I really didn't want to know if my beautiful MM was severely mangled.
Turns out it was only the front bumper cover that was damaged way down low by the passenger side fog lamp...WHEW! I thought to myself with a great sigh of relief. As I resumed my journey home I began to feel a little sorry that I didn't stop and finish killing the deer if he wasn't dead already both to relieve the little f***ers suffering and make me feel better by putting a bullet in something that scared me so badly.

The good news is that the insurance company put it under my comprehensive policy where I have a smaller deductible than my collision. More good news, the body shop owner is a big MM fan and is sanding and buffing all my swirl marks out for free.

sorry for the long post.

Mike Poore
10-06-2005, 06:14 AM
[QUOTE=rookie1]Yep, I was going around 75mph down I94 westbound between Battle Creek and Paw Paw, MI. It was 11:30 PM or so and I was driving back from a fantastic golf trip in Northern MI.
I didn't even see the little bastage. QUOTE]

Just wondering; do you have those Deer whistles installed? Glad there was so little damage, and that no one was hurt.

fastblackmerc
10-06-2005, 06:16 AM
Yep, I was going around 75mph down I94 westbound between Battle Creek and Paw Paw, MI. It was 11:30 PM or so and I was driving back from a fantastic golf trip in Northern MI.
I didn't even see the little bastage. I felt the bang and vaguely saw some 4 legged creature sailing through the air end over end to my right toward the grass several yards from the highway.
IT SCARED THE CRAP OUT OF ME. I was a little shook up so I kept an eye on my gauges and stopped about 15 minutes later in Paw Paw to survey the damage and grab a cup of coffee. I didn't stop immediately because 1: I was a little shook up, 2: I really didn't want to know if my beautiful MM was severely mangled.
Turns out it was only the front bumper cover that was damaged way down low by the passenger side fog lamp...WHEW! I thought to myself with a great sigh of relief. As I resumed my journey home I began to feel a little sorry that I didn't stop and finish killing the deer if he wasn't dead already both to relieve the little f***ers suffering and make me feel better by putting a bullet in something that scared me so badly.

The good news is that the insurance company put it under my comprehensive policy where I have a smaller deductible than my collision. More good news, the body shop owner is a big MM fan and is sanding and buffing all my swirl marks out for free.

sorry for the long post.
Sorry to hear about your MM, but glad no one was hurt. There was a deer accident in these parts a few years ago.... deer vs pickup truck, deer went thru the windshield broke the drivers neck, he died instantly.... so did the deer. Because of the development around here deer accidents happen at least once a week.

djv5150
10-06-2005, 06:17 AM
glad to see you were not hurt,and the damage to your marauder was minimal.

jgc61sr2002
10-06-2005, 02:22 PM
Glad that the damage was minor and no one was injured..

Eric91Z
10-06-2005, 03:36 PM
Glad to hear you are OK and the Marauder will come out OK. This is something I worry about every day on my daily commute to work. Especially those days at 5:00am to work and 10:00pm on the way home. And especially at 3:30am on the way home from work at the bar!! Stay safe out there everyone.

Fastronald
10-06-2005, 05:48 PM
Deer population in the Chicagoland Suburbs is very high and deer are hit very often. My Dad left me his old 88' Crown Vicki wagon................my oldest Son was drivning it and kicked Bambi's ass with it. Station wagon 1, Bambi 0.

SilverStreak
10-07-2005, 03:25 AM
Glad you weren't hurt Brian. I think the little buggers are starting rutting season now and will be out to get us. Your msge is a warning for the rest of us. As you know, we often hear the thud before we even see the deer. I hit one about a year ago in your town but luckily escaped any damage.

Darrell

sorry for the long post.

dwasson
10-08-2005, 09:53 PM
I hit a dog once and it scared me. Hitting a deer will definately do it. Good to hear that you are OK.

DEFYANT
10-08-2005, 10:01 PM
DefyantWife wacked a 200 lbs buck in a 95 Windstar. The van barely won. I hat them animals. I call them woods rodents.

rayjay
10-09-2005, 09:08 AM
Yep, its the rut time, they will be running all over the place. Saw two cars along the side of ST RT 20 last night, both from deer hits, 1/2 mile apart. Wife hit yearling doe last fall with her Contour. over $2000 damage. The deer whistles that NAPA sells for $10 or so seem to actually work. Be careful out there!