PDA

View Full Version : Dyno Sheet or Timeslip?

Tallboy
10-09-2005, 11:31 AM
Which you would rather have-a Dyno Sheet with your magical RWHP/RWTQ numbers or a timeslip with your desired E.T.? No wrong choice here, just me being curious... :beatnik:

HwyCruiser
10-09-2005, 12:20 PM
I say put dyno charts and timeslips together, learn from both of them and use them to put improvements to the test. One without the other isn't very telling and without iterations of each your ability to prove usefulness is questionable - unless you have someone else to compare to - but then the question comes up if it really a fair comparison.

As an example: the results of my dyno test of the base tune provided with the s/c in comparison to the dyno tuning I had done later on proved what my $300 for the tuner's time and effort got me in additional rwhp and safety margin. Also, a 13.8 sec timeslip with street tires in comparison to a 12.6 sec timeslip with drag radials proved what my $800 for wheels and tires got me in decent traction.

Just showing up at Milan without going through the "test and tune" iterations probably would have yielded the very non-impressive result of 13.8 sec, although on paper 400 rwhp (old tune) should have done better than that. But the dyno alone didn't take traction into consideration. Of course, you have to start somewhere and expect to find areas of improvement. I'm no where close to having my setup perfectly dialed in, but I'm glad I did some of my homework before one of the big tests.

Dark_Knight7096
10-09-2005, 01:40 PM
I mean yea, i'd be impressed if you walked up to me with a dyno sheet showing you had 500 rwhp, but i'd be more impressed if you walked up to me with a timesheet showing you just ran a low 11 in the .25

Smokie
10-09-2005, 02:10 PM
I would prefer the timeslip over the dyno sheet if the choice is one or the other.

The timeslips that impressed me the most personally are the ones achieved when you drive to the track, race and drive home.....I feel there is something special about that ....race it like you drive it.:drive:

jgc61sr2002
10-09-2005, 03:30 PM
I would prefer the timeslip over the dyno sheet if the choice is one or the other.

The timeslips that impressed me the most personally are the ones achieved when you drive to the track, race and drive home.....I feel there is something special about that ....race it like you drive it.:drive:

Javier - I agree. :D

Cobra25
10-09-2005, 04:34 PM

The timeslips that impressed me the most personally are the ones achieved when you drive to the track, race and drive home.....I feel there is something special about that ....race it like you drive it.:drive: I already have a Dyno sheet but if I didn't and had to choose one it would be a Time slip.

MikesMerc
10-09-2005, 05:11 PM
Dyno is verifiable power production. But time slip is the power being put to its intended use.

Time slip all the way.

BillyGman
10-10-2005, 12:42 AM
Dyno is verifiable power production. But time slip is the power being put to its intended use.

Time slip all the way. Ditto....I think Mike has said it best. I have both, but if I had to make a choice between the two......timeslip all the way. Just look at Jet's car making 60 RWHP more than mine with the same S/Cer, but more boost. If the both of us showed you our dyno numbers only, then most people would assume that his car is going to be a lot faster than mine is. But when we both ran on the track, he only beat me by 5/100ths of a second in one race, and one tenth of a second in another. And I had the best run of the day (which was done against another car that was there ). The difference in gear ratios helped me out, and that would never be reflected in a dyno chart.