PDA

View Full Version : LCD Screens

STLR FN
10-10-2005, 11:22 AM
Well my comp went kaput Sat. So I'm at the library right now. Any way, does/is anyone having/have trouble with animated pics/movies/etc with an LCD screen? I'm looking to get a 17" one and was just wondering.

Thanks

fastblackmerc
10-10-2005, 11:49 AM
Well my comp went kaput Sat. So I'm at the library right now. Any way, does/is anyone having/have trouble with animated pics/movies/etc with an LCD screen? I'm looking to get a 17" one and was just wondering.

Thanks
I've had LCD screens for over 8 years now, have 3 in my office right now (1 hooked to the laptop, 1 on a "test" system and 1 on a system w/ a TV tuner), plus the wife has one on her system. These don't include the LCD's on all the laptops I've used. Have never had any problems. I watch movies on my laptop when traveling and the TV is playing right now on one......

Two Hawks
10-10-2005, 08:31 PM

ThanksNo problems here. Go for it, you'll wonder why you didn't get one sooner. :D

STLR FN
10-11-2005, 07:46 AM
Thanks for the replies. I'm looking into a NEC 17" LCD. I know NEC been around since the "dawn of time", so I shouldn't have any problems.

Breadfan
10-11-2005, 07:51 AM
NEC's are good quality. If you are a gamer you can look at the response time, the lower the better. This is how quickly the pixels can change. A low response time can cause blurring in fast games. For the most part even a basic LCD will look OK with movies and animation.

I believe NEC's have very respectable response times.

I'm still a CRT guy myself, but LCD's are nice for the ease of movement, heh. I have a pair of 21" CRT's, they are bright, sharp, and get some mad resolution if I so demand, but they're also about 100lbs each and take up plenty of room. But, then again, I got them used for $129 each...that's worth a hurt back in my book. :)

You'll enjoy the LCD though. :) The NEC would be high on my list.

STLR FN
10-11-2005, 07:58 AM
Not a gamer "junkie"(and I use that lightly). Guess you can say I'm moving outta the stone age and into the digital age. :)

STLR FN
10-15-2005, 09:36 PM
What should I be looking for in regards to "response time?"
NEC's are good quality. If you are a gamer you can look at the response time, the lower the better. This is how quickly the pixels can change. A low response time can cause blurring in fast games. For the most part even a basic LCD will look OK with movies and animation.

I believe NEC's have very respectable response times.

I'm still a CRT guy myself, but LCD's are nice for the ease of movement, heh. I have a pair of 21" CRT's, they are bright, sharp, and get some mad resolution if I so demand, but they're also about 100lbs each and take up plenty of room. But, then again, I got them used for $129 each...that's worth a hurt back in my book. :)

You'll enjoy the LCD though. :) The NEC would be high on my list.

Breadfan
10-16-2005, 01:43 PM
Nowadays 16ms is good is pretty standard, anything more than that is a sign of a cheaper unit.

These Acer units are getting good reviews and have very good specs for the price:

17" - $216: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E168240090 54

19" - $255: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E168240090 43

There may be cheaper stuff, but that's all it will be - cheaper.

Of course, there is plenty of more expensive units out there, but these appear to be quality peices.

QWK SVT
10-16-2005, 03:02 PM
Thanks for the replies. I'm looking into a NEC 17" LCD. I know NEC been around since the "dawn of time", so I shouldn't have any problems.
Not sure which model you're looking at, but I've been using a NEC LCD1712, for a while now. I have no complaints... The response rate (16ms) is pretty good, and images look really nice on screen. No problems with gaming, either.

It is very relaxing on the eyes, though it took a little while for my eyes to get used to it. The CRT I Had before this had my eyes naturally expecting flicker, and crappy images...

The only major drawback is that it doesn't support DVI, which is becoming more standard for higher end video cards...

If you spend a fair bit of time in front of the monitor, your eyes will thank you :)