PDA

View Full Version : A new Marauder cousin?

mrjones
10-11-2005, 01:43 PM
I just got my Oct 10 copy of "Automotive News" and it says that Ford is considering Mercury and Lincoln versions of the new Mustang, and that the Lincoln version is "more serious".

What do you think about a new Cougar or Mark IX?

Dragcity
10-11-2005, 01:50 PM
Can't wait to see the rebirth of the Granada Look-a-like. What was that Lincoln, a Zypher or something like that???? I can't stand what they did with the Cougar. Is Edsel Ford back to designing ????

wsmylie
10-11-2005, 02:26 PM
Granada clone???I think you're talking about the Lincoln Versailles. Eh? I believe the Merc version was called a Monarch.

Big House
10-11-2005, 02:50 PM
We can only hope the next generation Mark.

Hotrauder
10-11-2005, 03:12 PM
They did it once...why not again? I know gas prices are high but look at Chrysler and GM. They have some serious performance engines right now.. How about the Roush Mark?:beer:

RCSignals
10-11-2005, 08:21 PM
Can't wait to see the rebirth of the Granada Look-a-like. What was that Lincoln, a Zypher or something like that???? I can't stand what they did with the Cougar. Is Edsel Ford back to designing ????

It was called a Versailles, not a Zephyr.

Edsel Ford the man was a great designer. He designed the Lincolns of the early 20s, the Model A ford, the 32 Ford, had influence on many of the later Fords, designed the 40 Lincoln continentals, and the first Mercurys.

RCSignals
10-11-2005, 08:24 PM
At MV2, it was mentioned by a reliable source, that a new Cougar design was spied, which had strong influence from the first Cougars. Whether that is what is in mind now, who knows. The concept Mercury messenger might also fit a new 'mustnag family' category as the new Cougar. I guess we'll see.

teamrope
10-11-2005, 08:40 PM
At MV2, it was mentioned by a reliable source, that a new Cougar design was spied, which had strong influence from the first Cougars. Whether that is what is in mind now, who knows. The concept Mercury messenger might also fit a new 'mustnag family' category as the new Cougar. I guess we'll see.

Wasn't the original Cougar on the mustang platform? Sounds like a retro merc in the makings. :)

Mad4Macs
10-12-2005, 03:49 AM
Wasn't the original Cougar on the mustang platform? Sounds like a retro merc in the makings. :)

I owned a '68 Cougar for a while, and somewhere around here, I've got a book on the Cougar.
In the book, there's a photo showing a Cougar and a Mustang running down the same assembly line. Yeah, back then, they shared a lot!

Dragcity
10-12-2005, 04:24 AM
Oh yeah, the Versailles. Thanks, I had put that car so far in my past for a good reason. I remember working on a friends Granada and realizing what a crapwagon it was. The next week my Dad was helping someone with his Verailles and said he couldn't believe Lincoln put their badge on that car.

Dad was a machinist at the Ford Stamping Plant from 1950 - 1980...

juno
10-12-2005, 05:06 AM
The 500 and the Little Jag (s-type?) are a similar platform to the mustang. I like the looks of the little Jag and with a 300 hp 4.6 it would be quite the car, possibly world class, plus it is available in AWD. I think it should displace the LS.

watts428
10-12-2005, 05:22 AM
I worked for a F/L/M dealer during that time. We had a Granada on the showroom floor that had a Granada emblem on one side and a Monarch emblem on the other straight from the factory.

Dragcity
10-12-2005, 05:24 AM
I think that one was a 'Special Edition Custom Deluxe'

wsmylie
10-12-2005, 09:50 AM
:D I guess FoMoCo knew that they were a dual Franchise dealer.:D The Lincoln Versialles badged Granadas were a relatively low production model as I recall; believe I read somewhere over the last few years about the decent ones that survive becoming somewhat collectible. Sooooo.... anybody think that will ever happen with the G.M. "J" platform, grotesque (:puke: ) cavalier clone Cadillac Cimmeron??
I worked for a F/L/M dealer during that time. We had a Granada on the showroom floor that had a Granada emblem on one side and a Monarch emblem on the other straight from the factory.

DEFYANT
10-12-2005, 09:54 AM
I thought the yahoos at Mercury "...didnt want to go in that direction" regarding the performance market?

Logan is a Couger guy..... any news boss?

A bling bling Mustang from Mercury.....hmmm

Mike Poore
10-12-2005, 09:57 AM
This may start a "that's nothing" hijack of the thread, but I recall a '67 Mustang with a "C" stripe on one side, and not the other. The guy who bought it never noticed until several weeks later.:eek:

RCSignals
10-12-2005, 01:35 PM
Oh yeah, the Versailles. Thanks, I had put that car so far in my past for a good reason. I remember working on a friends Granada and realizing what a crapwagon it was. The next week my Dad was helping someone with his Verailles and said he couldn't believe Lincoln put their badge on that car.

Dad was a machinist at the Ford Stamping Plant from 1950 - 1980...

The Versaille had four wheel disc brakes and a narrow 9" rear. it also has hydra boost. It's a great parts source.
The rear can be used in many Ford hot rods without needing to be narrowed, and the front spindles and brakes can easily be adapted to convert 1957 and later Fords.

wsmylie
10-12-2005, 01:43 PM
Geeeze Mike...the guy didn't notice when he picked up the car??? Musta not been a REAL car guy. Recall Miami (FL) P.D. getting in a fleet of several hundred new Plymouth Gran Fury police sedans, 1976 or 77 models I think, where a number of them had Dodge Monaco labled dash boards.:shake: Also remember that a few had rub-rail side moldings on one side and none on the other. This was about the time Mopar was really starting to hit bottom financially.
This may start a "that's nothing" hijack of the thread, but I recall a '67 Mustang with a "C" stripe on one side, and not the other. The guy who bought it never noticed until several weeks later.:eek:

teamrope
10-12-2005, 06:13 PM
:D I guess FoMoCo knew that they were a dual Franchise dealer.:D The Lincoln Versialles badged Granadas were a relatively low production model as I recall; believe I read somewhere over the last few years about the decent ones that survive becoming somewhat collectible.

I know where there is one on a used car lot for $975. Even has rear disk brakes.

teamrope
10-12-2005, 06:15 PM
The Versaille had four wheel disc brakes and a narrow 9" rear. it also has hydra boost. It's a great parts source.
The rear can be used in many Ford hot rods without needing to be narrowed, and the front spindles and brakes can easily be adapted to convert 1957 and later Fords.

STOP IT! You're giving me to many ideas for the 67 Galaxie. :)