PDA

View Full Version : Math in 2005

DefyantExWife
10-12-2005, 05:09 PM
Last week I purchased a burger at Burger King for $1.58. The counter girl took my $2 and I was digging for my change when I pulled 8 cents from my pocket and gave it to her. She stood there, holding the nickel and 3 pennies, while looking at the screen on her register. I sensed her discomfort and tried to tell her to just give me two quarters, but she hailed the manager for help. While he tried to explain the transaction to her, she stood there and cried.

Why do I tell you this?

Because of the evolution in teaching math since the 1950's:

Teaching Math In 1950

A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is 4/5 of the price. What is his profit?

Teaching Math In 1960

A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is 4/5 of the price, or $80. What is his profit?

Teaching Math In 1970

A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is $80. Did he make a profit?

Teaching Math In 1980

A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is $80 and his profit is $20. Your assignment: Underline the number 20.

Teaching Math In the 1990s

A logger cuts down a beautiful forest because he is selfish and inconsiderate and cares nothing for the habitat of animals or the preservation of our woodlands. He does this so he can make a profit of $20. What do you think of this way of making a living? Topic for class participation after answering the question: How did the birds and squirrels feel as the logger cut down their homes? (There are no wrong answers.)

Teaching Math in 2005

Un hachero vende una carretada de <st1:city><st1:place>madera</st1:place></st1:city> para $100. El costo de la producci�n es $80 ....

Petrograde
10-12-2005, 05:43 PM
¿Qué trata de decir usted?

Mike Poore
10-12-2005, 06:05 PM
¿Qué trata de decir usted?
Yeh, what Tom said! :D

Bluerauder
10-12-2005, 06:09 PM
[color=black][font='Comic Sans MS']I sensed her discomfort and tried to tell her to just give me two quarters, but she hailed the manager for help. While he tried to explain the transaction to her, she stood there and cried
Very sad; but true !!! If the register doesn't tell them how much change to give back ... they can't figure it out. :o

Sure glad I learned under the 1950's system !! :D

wchain
10-12-2005, 06:34 PM
I missed all of math because I never made it to school on time. I was cookin brefas or somethin....

Rob1559
10-12-2005, 06:48 PM
It's Bush's fault.

teamrope
10-12-2005, 06:53 PM
But did the logger REALLY cut down the trees?

Leadfoot281
10-12-2005, 07:34 PM
I wodnt be to kwik to blam techers. They done taught me reel good. I hav morr to sey, but i'm needed at the honda blinker switch factery erly tomorow.

DeepSea117
10-12-2005, 07:39 PM
Last week ...
That is HILARIOUS!

StevenJ
10-13-2005, 06:01 AM
That's because you went to Burger King. People there don't get paid enough to care. Probably didn't get enough sleep to properly do the job and they were probably out back smoking joints while on break. Come on this Burger King, what do you expect?

juno
10-13-2005, 07:44 AM
Yeah, it's unfortunate that some people are having math problems. a few months ago at the check out counter the bag bay asked the cashier what time it was and she told him "quarter past 5". The poor kid did not know what that meant. Too many digital watches/clocks I guess.

I haven't seen too much of the change issues latley, as I think the cashiers are just correcting the tendered amount and letting the machine do the work.

You have to feel for the kids, unfortunately some of it is really not their fault as the collective we allow it.

I don't even know, do they even try to explain practical applications to kids today?

Yeah, the "no wrong answers", 12 valedictorians, no competition stuff is going too far.

DEFYANT
10-13-2005, 07:54 AM
If the tree falls in the forest and there is nobody around, did it make a sound?

Sorry guys, she must have figures out the password to the network here again! I change it so we dont have to be subjected to such threads...:P :D

MAD-3R
10-13-2005, 07:57 AM
If a tree falls on a hippie, does anyone care?

grampaws
10-13-2005, 08:07 AM
Forgot my calculator!

funny had to teach the son inlaw how to do fractions...
It also depends on the courses they choose...Just pass
math and Shop was more fun..

duhtroll
10-13-2005, 08:17 AM
I have had this "math in 2005" thing up in my classroom for a few weeks now. the kids think it's hilarious, and not too far from the truth.

Padded grades are everywhere, and it happens even in some colleges now. Kids are so accustomed to something for nothing it's no wonder the result is lower skill levels. Colleges require a GPA of x to get in and high schools figured out that it's better PR for more of their kids to get into college, so they pad the grades.

The other half of this problem is caused by demand for so many non-educational things to be included in the curriculum, like family planning, character education, etc. all because many kids have no access to these things where they should come from -- the parents.

-A

duhtroll
10-13-2005, 08:18 AM
The answer is "no."

In order to be classified as a sound, it must be received. With no receiver, there's no sound. Assuming of course, "nobody" means no life forms around with ears.

If the tree falls in the forest and there is nobody around, did it make a sound?

Sorry guys, she must have figures out the password to the network here again! I change it so we dont have to be subjected to such threads...:P :D

DEFYANT
10-13-2005, 08:21 AM
The other half of this problem is caused by demand for so many non-educational things to be included in the curriculum, like family planning, character education, etc. all because many kids have no access to these things where they should come from -- the parents.

-A

This is soooooo true!

I love it when I get a call to someones house because their kid is running amuck and they expect me to fix it. My signature line: I can not fix in 15 minutes what you created in 15 (or other age) years.