PDA

View Full Version : Cool engine Vid:

BillyGman
10-15-2005, 12:22 AM
This video has me thinking...... watch the 572 engine vid(just click on the word "GO" inside the "572" window)..... (not for Chevy haters).....

http://www.gmgoodwrench.com/perfpartsjsp/home.jsp

marauderboi
10-15-2005, 05:37 AM
My uncle just put that engine in his award winning Chevel I will post a link to his web site in a minute.

marauderboi
10-15-2005, 05:41 AM
This is my uncles web site http://eastcoastcrib.com

BillyGman
10-15-2005, 05:41 AM
My uncle just put that engine in his award winning Chevel I will post a link to his web site in a minute.That's funny, because I've been thinking about droping it in a Chevelle also. Now you have me on the edge of my seat!!!!

Shora
10-15-2005, 05:46 AM
Looks good enough to eat. Yummmy.

BillyGman
10-15-2005, 05:53 AM
This is my uncles web site http://eastcoastcrib.comI can't believe it!! That's my favorite year Chevelle!!! What a beautiful car!!! I was wondering how that 572 engine would fit under the stock hood of a Chevelle, and if it would have to be altered in any way, but those pics just answered my question. Thanks very much!!!! ;)

marauderboi
10-15-2005, 06:02 AM
I can't believe it!! That's my favorite year Chevelle!!! What a beautiful car!!! I was wondering how that 572 engine would fit under the stock hood of a Chevelle, and if it would have to be altered in any way, but those pics just answered my question. Thanks very much!!!! ;)Your welcome he also has a 57 chevy nomad and hes restoring a 57 bel air

He got the bel air right here in tarpon springs florida from a classic car museum his wife said that the nomad is one of the most beautiful cars Ive ever seen and when she walked away he talked to the owner and whiped out his check book and told them to ship it to his house and now he has a mint 57 nomad in his huge garage

BillyGman
10-15-2005, 06:04 AM
Your welcome he also has a 57 chevy nomad and hes restoring a 57 bel air

He got the bel air right here in tarpon springs florida from a classic car museum his wife said that the nomad is one of the most beautiful cars Ive ever seen and when she walked away he talked to the owner and whiped out his check book and told them to ship it to his house and now he has a mint 57 nomad in his huge garage Must be nice....... BTW, I just sent you a PM....

marauderboi
10-15-2005, 06:10 AM
I got the pm

Blackened300a
10-15-2005, 02:28 PM
Awesome Engine!!

As for Chevelle's 1970 was my Favorite year

http://www.brandonclassics.com/www/images/1970_chevelle/46801248_1_med.jpg

BillyGman
10-15-2005, 04:49 PM
Awesome Engine!!

As for Chevelle's 1970 was my Favorite year

http://www.brandonclassics.com/www/images/1970_chevelle/46801248_1_med.jpgNot my favorite year, but 70 is also one of the years that I like. pretty car^. I like em from 66-70.

Joe Walsh
10-15-2005, 09:07 PM
This video has me thinking...... watch the 572 engine vid(just click on the word "GO" inside the "572" window)..... (not for Chevy haters).....

http://www.gmgoodwrench.com/perfpartsjsp/home.jsp

I may not be a Chevy Fan...but I do appreciate and respect a really well built engine that thumps out HORSEPOWER!...especially 720 HP! :up:

In a few years, when I get tired of modifying my DOHC I'll be real tempted to drop in a Ford 514 CID Big Block with a custom FAST fuel injection system.
BTW, You can 'punch and poke' the Ford 385 series engines out to 600+ CID!!! ....Then I'd hang ' 10.0 ' badges on the fenders and go lookin' for trouble!

BillyGman
10-15-2005, 10:28 PM
Yeah, the possibilities are almost endless. It's all about money though. How much you're preppared to spend dictates where you can go with such ideas. The World Products company has one of their "Merlin" Chevy blocks that has an 11.625" deck height, and can be punched out to a whopping 750 cubic inches! They also sell a ready to go fully assembled and dynoed 632 cubic inch motor that churns out 800 FT/LBS of torque, and 775 HP on 92 octane pump gas!

The only thing about that 632 C.I. engine is that it comes with a mechanical roller camshaft, and it's my understanding that the valve spring pressures required for the use of mechanical roller cams are so high (in the 500 PSI range) that the cam lifters have to be checked and possibly rebuilt every 3,000 miles. So that wouldn't be ideal for a car that's used often on the street (which is what I'd be interested in).

That's what's nice about that 572 Chevy engine. It has a hydraulic roller cam which doesn't require extreme valve spring pressures like mechanical roller cams do. But that's a slightly downgraded version of the 572 engine. it only has 650 FT/LBS of torque, and a mere 620 HP. :D But it also has merely 9.6:1 compression ratio which is just fine for 92 octane gasoline. Whereas the 720 HP version of the 572 engine has a 12:1 compression ratio, and therefore requires race fuel. Not feasable for frequent street use.

Mike M
10-15-2005, 11:31 PM
Jegs has that motor for about 13K which is a great deal. I built my 548 Big Block 2 years ago (dynoed at 748HP) and it ended up costing about 15K. Go to my gallery for pics. It is in my 68 Camaro and is a street car.
Check it out...
http://www.mercurymarauder.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=9828&cat=500&page=1

Joe Walsh
10-16-2005, 05:59 AM
Jegs has that motor for about 13K which is a great deal. I built my 548 Big Block 2 years ago (dynoed at 748HP) and it ended up costing about 15K. Go to my gallery for pics. It is in my 68 Camaro and is a street car.
Check it out...
http://www.mercurymarauder.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=9828&cat=500&page=1

Sweet lookin' Camaro Mike!!!

I love the '548' badges where I'm used to seeing '327' or '350'.... :bows:

and the way you tucked in the tubbed rear wheels...they fit under the rear fenders perfect. (some cars have them set IN way too far.)

BTW: What does that beast run in the 1/4?

BillyGman
10-16-2005, 01:28 PM
Check it out...
http://www.mercurymarauder.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=9828&cat=500&page=1 WOW!!!! That's one of the sweetest looking Camaros I've ever seen, and now you're killin me too, because 68 was also my favorite year of the Camaro!!! And that hood scoop is perfect. I see alot of them that are too big to be pleasing to the eye, but that one looks fine. I see that you have a roll cage in there, so you must take it to the track, right? Let me echo Joe's question....what are the ET's? BTW, you have a PM. ;) I found a place that has the 572 Chevy motor for $12K...not a bad deal considering that's about the same price as what an 03/04 Cobra engine costs, which has 230 HP less (I'm talking about the street version of the 572 with 620 HP/650 TQ, and 9.6:1 compression ratio).

Agent M79
10-16-2005, 01:50 PM
Ok. Goofy question here. These aftermarket big blocks... are they bolting right in? Using the same mounting points, etc.?

Someday I'd love to get one of the cars I love from the early 70's that were emissions controlled to death and replace the powertrain with something high-powered and modern.

When I read the '5.4 in the MM' threads I read that tons of fabrication is needed. This thread is talking about putting some modern HUGE engines in cars and I am just curious how much shoe-horning is really needed.

BillyGman
10-16-2005, 02:33 PM
Ok. Goofy question here. These aftermarket big blocks... are they bolting right in? Using the same mounting points, etc.?

Someday I'd love to get one of the cars I love from the early 70's that were emissions controlled to death and replace the powertrain with something high-powered and modern.

When I read the '5.4 in the MM' threads I read that tons of fabrication is needed. This thread is talking about putting some modern HUGE engines in cars and I am just curious how much shoe-horning is really needed.I'm sure that guys like Mike Mielnicki can answer your question better than I can, and hopefully he will be back here in this thread to chime in. Until he does though, I can tell you that the the Chevy mountian motor (the 572) has a Bowtie "tall deck" block, which has a 10.200" deck height as opposed to the standard Chevy big block deck height of 9.800". However, as far as I know, the only other things different about it are that the cylinder walls are thicker for increased durability, and it has a one piece rear main seal instead of the two piece that the old blocks did. Eveything else is the same to my knowledge including the accessory mounting points, and the engine mount boss locations. same with the Merlin blocks by World products which are basically based on the Chevy Big Block.

The big problem with the DOHC motors such as the 5.4L one, is that the cylinder heads just take up so much room due to the camshafts being inside them. Which IMO offsets any alleged advantage to the DOHC design in the first place, because it severely limits the size of the engine block that can be fit under the hood of a car, and therefore less displacement becomes mandatory. As far as I can tell, the challenging part of installing one of these low-tech mountain motors in older cars is that because they use single plane intake manifolds that are of the high rise design, the hood of the car in question might have to be altered (like Mike has done with his Camaro).

This has me leaning towards that 70 Chevelle SS, since it came from the factory with the cowl induction hood that's about 2.5" taller than the standard Chevelle hood was.