PDA

View Full Version : I need to borrow PARTITION MAGIC

CRUZTAKER
10-16-2005, 09:26 AM
Does anyone have a copy of partition magic I may borrow?

Here's my story, and why I want to borrow rather than buy. I will only use it once, to correct a problem the morons at HP/COMPAQ repair did to me.

I had the HD replaced under warranty in my laptop. I ended up losing ALL my data and got a new hard drive preformatted to Windows 98 FAT32 system.

WTF!!!

I didn't notice, and proceded to spend 5 hours reloading ALLLLL my XP O/S and other stuff.

Now I realize my file system is running FAT32 and running slow to boot. :mad:

I need a program that will repartition my drive to NTSF and NOT lose my data.

PARTITION MAGIC is apparently the one to do it.

Agent M79
10-16-2005, 10:08 AM
Cruztaker,

I have used the WinXP included utility to go from FAT32 to NTFS without file loss. I have not heard anyone else say they have lost data using it but any operation like this has risks.

Go to a command prompt and type: CONVERT C: /FS:NTFS

The system will reboot (I think it prompts you) and begin converting. Don't mess with it while it does this.

You can get a little more background on it HERE (http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/convertfat.mspx)but it is pretty straight forward.

fastblackmerc
10-16-2005, 12:05 PM
Cruztaker,

I have used the WinXP included utility to go from FAT32 to NTFS without file loss. I have not heard anyone else say they have lost data using it but any operation like this has risks.

Go to a command prompt and type: CONVERT C: /FS:NTFS

The system will reboot (I think it prompts you) and begin converting. Don't mess with it while it does this.

You can get a little more background on it HERE (http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/convertfat.mspx)but it is pretty straight forward.
What ^^^^^^^^^^ he ^^^^^^^^^^ said.

CRUZTAKER
10-16-2005, 12:43 PM
Hey thanks Dave!!!

I started a loooong download from a site offering PMAGIC v7.0 before we left this morning.
I think it's a full program, I haven't looked at it yet. Just got back from the pumpkin patch.

I think I'd rather use what YOU suggested however.

Agent M79
10-16-2005, 01:16 PM
With ever decreasing storage costs, rising storage capacities, multiple storage methods, and OS and file system features in XP and Server, I can say I have used Partition Magic one time on these operating systems. Even then I think it was more to see if it would still work and became more of an exercise in nostalgia.

So many things have changed, have become simpler, have more options but this advice has remained compellingly relevant: Save often and backup frequently.

Mad4Macs
10-16-2005, 03:24 PM
In defence of those "morons", data backup is always, has always, and will always be the end users responsibility.
Moreover, Compaq/HP machines come with either a full set of recovery cd's, or you're provided with a utility that will create a set.
In either case, these cd's will recreate the partitions the machine was originally shipped with, be it FAT or NTFS.
So, by either losing the recovery set, or failing to read the directions and creating the cd's as is strongly suggested by the user manuals, your venting on the tech's stupidity rings as accurate to me as the guy that brings his car to the shop with a blown engine, because he never changed his oil.
It's all in the manual :D

CRUZTAKER
10-16-2005, 06:55 PM
In defence of those "morons", data backup is always, has always, and will always be the end users responsibility.
Moreover, Compaq/HP machines come with either a full set of recovery cd's, or you're provided with a utility that will create a set.
In either case, these cd's will recreate the partitions the machine was originally shipped with, be it FAT or NTFS.
So, by either losing the recovery set, or failing to read the directions and creating the cd's as is strongly suggested by the user manuals, your venting on the tech's stupidity rings as accurate to me as the guy that brings his car to the shop with a blown engine, because he never changed his oil.
It's all in the manual :D

OK...fair enough...but allow me to REITERATE and add a little info as well.

I knew the disk was failing. I backed up EVERYTHING that was important. I still have my restore and driver disks that came with the computer.

When the computer was returned to the vendor, it still booted up, but was very unstable. The PRODUCT KEY CODE sticker is as clear as a bell stuck on the underside of the laptop as required by the final builder (vendor).

The sticker says:
WINDOWS XP HOME EDITION

It doesn't say WINDOWS 98. Yet the repair people at the VENDOR chose to replace the drive with one preformatted for WINDOWS 98 and a FAT32 file system.

I admire your standing up for the vendor, but this repairman didn't pay attention to detail. It's obvious from the manufacture date that I wasn't running 98. And there's a big HOLOGRAPHIC PRODUCT KEY CODE O/S REGISTRATION STICKER pasted on the underside next to the missing battery that clearly states what O/S I was using.....

THE GUY WAS A MORON. PERIOD. AND THE FOLKS AT BEST BUY ARE MORONS AS WELL.

Don't ASSUME I don't know what I am talking about.;)

Anyway...back on topic...
Thanks again Dave, the XP DOS 'convert' command worked fine, and was done in no time at all.

Case closed.

CRUZTAKER
10-16-2005, 07:00 PM
I apologize MAD...that reply was a little rough.

I meant every word. :P