"We didn't have fast food when I was growing up," I informed him. "All the
food was slow."

"C'mon, seriously. Where did you eat?"

"It was a place called 'at home,'" I explained. "Grandma cooked every day
and when Grandpa got home from work, we sat down together at the dining
room table, and if I didn't like what she put on my plate I was allowed to sit
there until I did like it."

By this time, the kid was laughing so hard I was afraid he was going to
suffer serious internal damage, so I didn't tell him the part about how I had to
have permission to leave the table. But here are some other things I would
have told him about my childhood if I figured his system could have handled
it:

Some parents NEVER... owned their own house, wore Levis, set foot on a
golf course, traveled out of the country or had a credit card. In their later
years they had something called a revolving charge card. The card was good
only at Sears Roebuck. Or maybe it was Sears AND Roebuck. Either way,
there is no Roebuck anymore. Maybe he died.

My parents never drove me to soccer practice. This was mostly because we
never had heard of soccer. I had a bicycle that weighed probably 50 pounds,
and only had one speed, (slow). We didn't have a television in our house until
I was 11, but my grandparents had one before that. It was, of course, black
and white, but they bought a piece of colored plastic to cover the screen. The
top third was blue, like the sky, and the bottom third was green, like grass.
The middle third was red. It was perfect for programs that had scenes of fire
trucks riding across someone's lawn on a sunny day. Some people had a lens
taped to the front of the TV to make the picture look larger.

I was 13 before I tasted my first pizza,! it was called "pizza pie." When I
bit into it, I burned the roof of my mouth and the cheese slid off, swung
down, plastered itself against my chin and burned that, too. It's still the
best pizza I ever had.

I never had a telephone in my room. The only phone in the house was in the
living room and it was on a party line. Before you could dial, you had to
listen and make sure some people you didn't know weren't already using the
line.

Pizzas were not delivered to our home. But milk was.

Movie stars kissed with their mouths shut. At least, they did in the
movies.
Touching someone else's tongue with yours was called French kissing and
they
didn't do that in movies. I don't know what they did in French movies.
French movies were dirty and we weren't allowed to see them.

If you grew up in a generation before there was fast food, you may want to
share some of these memories with your children or grandchildren. Just
don't
blame me if they bust a gut laughing.

Growing up isn't what it used to be, is it?

MEMORIES from a friend:

My Dad is cleaning out my grandmother's house (she died in December) and he
brought me an old Royal Crown Cola bottle. In the bottle top was a stopper
with a bunch of holes in it. I knew immediately what it was, but my
daughter
had no idea. She thought they had tried to make it a salt shaker or
something.
I knew it as the bottle that! sat on the end of the ironing board to
"sprinkle" clothes with because we didn't have steam irons. Man, I am old.

How many do you remember?

Head lights dimmer switches on the floor.
Ignition switches on the dashboard.
Heaters mounted on the inside of the fire wall.
Real ice boxes.
Pant leg clips for bicycles without chain guards.
Soldering irons you heat on a gas burner.
Using hand signals for cars without turn signals.

Older Than Dirt Quiz: Count all the ones that you remember not the ones
you
were told about Ratings at the bottom.

1. Blackjack chewing gum
2. Wax Coke-shaped bottles with colored sugar water
3. Candy cigarettes
4. Soda pop machines that dispensed glass bottles
5. Coffee shops or diners with tableside juke boxes
6. Home milk delivery in glass bottles with cardboard stoppers
7. Party lines
8. Newsreels before the movie
9. P.F. Flyers
10. Butch wax
11. Telephone numbers with a word prefix (OLive-6933)
12. Peashooters
13. Howdy Doody
14. 45 RPM records
15. S&H Green Stamps
16 Hi-fi's
17. Metal ice trays with lever
18. Mimeograph paper
19 Blue flashbulb
20. Packards
21. Roller skate keys
22. Cork popguns
23. Drive-ins
24. Studebakers
25. Wash tub wringers

If you remembered 0-5 = You're still young
If you remembered 6-10 = You are g! etting older
If you remembered 11-15 = Don't tell your age,
If you remembered 16-25 = You're older than dirt!

Don't forget to pass this along!!
Especially to all your really OLD friends....
=====

"Senility Prayer"...God grant me...
The senility to forget the people I never liked
The good fortune to run into the ones that I do
And the eyesight to tell the difference."

MM2004
10-20-2005, 05:02 PM
OMG!

I am 42 years old and suddenly feel like 70. :eek:

Where did I leave that glass of Buttermilk :confused:

Mike. :D

jgc61sr2002
10-20-2005, 05:10 PM
Now I do feel older than dirt. :D Remembered too many. :lol:

Bigdogjim
10-20-2005, 05:18 PM
Now I do feel older than dirt. :D Remembered too many. :lol:
John did your first car have a hand crank....:laugh:

Bluerauder
10-20-2005, 05:20 PM
I SCORED 22 :(

Older 'n Dirt!!

... In their later years they had something called a revolving charge card. The card was good only at Sears Roebuck. Or maybe it was Sears AND Roebuck. Either way, there is no Roebuck anymore. Maybe he died.
I scored a 24. :o Only one that I can't remember was Black Jack Gum. But I do remember Sen-Sens. :D

It is amazing how much of that story rings true with me. My folks also had a revolving credit account at "Monkey Wards" (Montgomery Wards).

I heard a story on the radio once about Sears & Roebuck. Maybe it was Paul Harvey. :dunno: As I recall this one, Roebuck split very early in the partnership and Sears bought him out for something like $50.00 but kept the name the same. I guess poor old Roebuck's decision to bail out goes down in history as one of those ... "Maybe you should reconsider this temporary setback decisions". :rolleyes:

jgc61sr2002
10-20-2005, 05:22 PM
John did your first car have a hand crank....:laugh:

:lol: :rofl: :laugh:

Haggis
10-20-2005, 06:42 PM
I scored a 16. Where's the Geritol... :geezer:

QWK SVT
10-20-2005, 08:04 PM
4... I've got some time to go, yet ;)

mrjones
10-20-2005, 08:08 PM
1. Blackjack chewing gum No Idea

2. Wax Coke-shaped bottles Didn't like'em. Later learned to NOT eat the bottles!

3. Candy cigarettes Loved em. Sure by now they cause cancer

4. Soda pop machines that dispensed glass bottles For 10cents. Of course, you were expected to leave a 5 cent deposit with SOMEBODY if you left the store with the bottle.

5. Coffee shops or diners with tableside juke boxes Pal's in Irving

6. Home milk delivery in glass bottles with cardboard stoppers Missed it, but I did ride to the store on my Schwinn Apple Crate and buy the gallon of milk for a dollar, and bring it home in the basket on my handlebars! Do I get to count this one if I remember home delivery diaper service instead?

7. Party lines An 8 party! line First old lady: "How many eggs did you get today Bernice?" Second old lady: "I don't know, but if you'll hold on for a few minutes, I'll go get them, and then I can tell you." TRUE STORY!!! You could listen in on the other persons conversations, just like picking up an extension phone in your own home. Oops, I'm sorry. An extension phone is what you had when you had multiple phones on one line, before each child had their OWN line.

8. Newsreels before the movie Not quite there, but I remember the cartoons.
I also remember the fancy theatres in Dallas having a guy playing the piano before the films started. He was on a platform that dropped out of the ceiling. When he started going back up, you knew the movie was about to start. That's when it was time to turn your cell phone ringer off. Oh, wait. That STILL doesn't happen!!

9. P.F. Flyers Had those and Keds, but the real hot items were the crepe soled black track shoes with three (3!) racing stripes on the side!

10. Butch wax Never had a butch to wax

11. Telephone numbers with a word prefix (OLive-6933) Blackburn5-4025 That was mine.

12. Peashooters Had'em and the other non-pc item to boot. No peas were harmed during the operation of the pea shooters. Lots of other stuff, though.

13. Howdy Doody He's still around ain't he?

14. 45 RPM records Lot's of em!

15. S&H Green Stamps Even my wife remember's those.

16 Hi-fi's With the fold-up turntable and detachable speakers? Sterophonic?

17. Metal ice trays with lever Parts of my tongue are still stuck to one, somewhere.

18. Mimeograph paper Don't they smell good?

19 Blue flashbulb In the sixpack row?

20. Packards Never owned one

21. Roller skate keys As in, "I've got a brand new pair of roller skates, You've got the brand new....?"

22. Cork popguns You can still find those.

23. Drive-ins A new one is opening south of Dallas now.

24. Studebakers How about a body kit for your Chevy PU?

25. Wash tub wringers One of my supervisory employees was telling the story yesterday (he's the same age as me) about his brother getting his arm caught in one when they were kids. This one was one of them newfangled Lectric ones, and it broke his collarbone!

Well thanks, I'm officially older than dirt!

torinodan
10-20-2005, 08:13 PM
well, growing up on the shady side of a mountain in TN I remember 15!

Hotrauder
10-20-2005, 08:24 PM
I grew up in Maine where thank God they still have all those things. At least as best I remember. What was the question? :beer:

RCSignals
10-20-2005, 10:34 PM
I SCORED 22 :(

.................... The card was good
only at Sears Roebuck. Or maybe it was Sears AND Roebuck. ...........

or Simpson Sears.....you can gues maybe what the slang rhyming nick name was....

1. Blackjack chewing gum
2. Wax Coke-shaped bottles with colored sugar water
3. Candy cigarettes
4. Soda pop machines that dispensed glass bottles
5. Coffee shops or diners with tableside juke boxes
6. Home milk delivery in glass bottles with cardboard stoppers
7. Party lines
11. Telephone numbers with a word prefix (OLive-6933)
12. Peashooters
13. Howdy Doody
14. 45 RPM records
15. S&H Green Stamps
16 Hi-fi's
17. Metal ice trays with lever
18. Mimeograph paper
19 Blue flashbulb
20. Packards
21. Roller skate keys
22. Cork popguns
23. Drive-ins
24. Studebakers
25. Wash tub wringers

That makes 22. Hmmm

What about:
Bread delivery to your door
Dry Cleaning to your door
Ramblers
Full size Plymouth vans
Garbage trucks without compactors
Police cars without a 'cage'
Hersheys and Greasers
truant officers

marauder307
10-21-2005, 12:31 AM
Man, this has got me thinking.

I don't know that I'm old enough to remember all those things, but here's a few little goodies I do recall...

---Seeing first-run episodes of "Black Sheep Squadron"
---the euphoria of seeing Space Shuttle Columbia touch down for the first time
---the 50th anniversary celebration of the DC-3/C-47 "Gooney Bird"
---Where I was when Reagan was shot (in fourth grade that year, at Ft. Leavenworth, KS)
---Living in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, when the Tehran hostages were taken
---seeing the Bicentennial celebration of our country (my younger brother was born that year)
---where I was when Space Shuttle Challenger exploded (not a real great memory to have, but the event is still held up as something to remember...was in ninth grade that year, in Seoul American High School, Yongsan, ROK)
---thinking that "Knight Rider" was cool
---the ORIGINAL "Battlestar Galactica" series
---going to work with my dad at Ft. Leavenworth, and seeing my first Apple IIE computer, and how it was held up as the computing standard....
---....until my dad brought home our first home PC: A factory "Fat Mac", with a whole 512k in it and a single 3.5 drive in the front. (How old does that make YOU feel, Logan, oh Great Computing One? :) )
---taking classes in BASIC and LOGO in eight grade, and thinking I was soooo smart because I was doing so well in 'em. I can't begin to hold a candle to the kids in SIXTH grade nowadays...Lord, that REALLY makes me feel old.
---how there used to be only 3 channels to watch on TV...4 if you counted PBS, which never had anything good on...5 if you counted the local independent station (all of those later became Fox affiliates).
---playing records on my dad's stereo system, and how tape cassettes were brand new and hailed as the wave of the future.
---oh, lots 'a other stuff....dang, now I REALLY feel old...kids like Woaface probably have never heard an actual ringing phone...I have. But only for the first 10-12 years of my life. What else is there? Oh yeah...living in old officer's quarters that did NOT have central ac; had to watch my folks cuss each other out trying to mount/dismount the window units every fall/spring at Ft. Leavenworth. Too young to remember the old "party line" telephone systems, but I DO vaguely remember my folks talking about the "new" 7 digit phone numbers and how dialing long-distance was becoming a problem.

I remember being young enough to actually ENJOY snow...won't have anything to do with it anymore; the cold hurts me in ways and places I didn't think I could be hurt, and it's become a dratted nuisance.

I remember how there didn't used to be a complete interstate road system in the state of Alabama; when we drove from my grandparents' place in Montgomery to the other set of grandparents in Birmingham (Rocky Ridge), we always had to detour through Alabaster. AND Alabaster was the state's most notorious speedtrap.

I'm going to hobble off and find some geritol; I'm feeling abruptly old....good thread. :up:

rayjay
10-21-2005, 01:09 AM
24 of 25, oh well...

RCSignals
10-21-2005, 01:49 AM
Man, this has got me thinking.

I don't know that I'm old enough to remember all those things, but here's a few little goodies I do recall...

---Seeing first-run episodes of "Black Sheep Squadron"
---the euphoria of seeing Space Shuttle Columbia touch down for the first time
---the 50th anniversary celebration of the DC-3/C-47 "Gooney Bird"
---Where I was when Reagan was shot (in fourth grade that year, at Ft. Leavenworth, KS)
---Living in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, when the Tehran hostages were taken
---seeing the Bicentennial celebration of our country (my younger brother was born that year)
---where I was when Space Shuttle Challenger exploded (not a real great memory to have, but the event is still held up as something to remember...was in ninth grade that year, in Seoul American High School, Yongsan, ROK)
---thinking that "Knight Rider" was cool
---the ORIGINAL "Battlestar Galactica" series
---going to work with my dad at Ft. Leavenworth, and seeing my first Apple IIE computer, and how it was held up as the computing standard....
---....until my dad brought home our first home PC: A factory "Fat Mac", with a whole 512k in it and a single 3.5 drive in the front. (How old does that make YOU feel, Logan, oh Great Computing One? :) )
---taking classes in BASIC and LOGO in eight grade, and thinking I was soooo smart because I was doing so well in 'em. I can't begin to hold a candle to the kids in SIXTH grade nowadays...Lord, that REALLY makes me feel old.
---how there used to be only 3 channels to watch on TV...4 if you counted PBS, which never had anything good on...5 if you counted the local independent station (all of those later became Fox affiliates).
---playing records on my dad's stereo system, and how tape cassettes were brand new and hailed as the wave of the future.
---oh, lots 'a other stuff....dang, now I REALLY feel old...kids like Woaface probably have never heard an actual ringing phone...I have. But only for the first 10-12 years of my life. What else is there? Oh yeah...living in old officer's quarters that did NOT have central ac; had to watch my folks cuss each other out trying to mount/dismount the window units every fall/spring at Ft. Leavenworth. Too young to remember the old "party line" telephone systems, but I DO vaguely remember my folks talking about the "new" 7 digit phone numbers and how dialing long-distance was becoming a problem.

I remember being young enough to actually ENJOY snow...won't have anything to do with it anymore; the cold hurts me in ways and places I didn't think I could be hurt, and it's become a dratted nuisance.

I remember how there didn't used to be a complete interstate road system in the state of Alabama; when we drove from my grandparents' place in Montgomery to the other set of grandparents in Birmingham (Rocky Ridge), we always had to detour through Alabaster. AND Alabaster was the state's most notorious speedtrap.

I'm going to hobble off and find some geritol; I'm feeling abruptly old....good thread. :up:

You don't remember the Moon landing?
Modems you place the handset of your telephone on?
Computer punch cards?
Argentina invading the Falklands?
Cellular telephones the size of a small valise, with a touch pad and corded handset attached?

:eek: :eek:

Krytin
10-21-2005, 04:47 AM
The only one I didn't have any first hand experience with was "News Reels" before the feature - but I did go to double features & remember the cartoons before the main feature!

Yeah, I know...

....I got underwear older than some of you guys!

Hack Goby
10-21-2005, 05:01 AM
God damn,I know all of them.But theres more remember when you could get a box of "Caps" with five rolls in them for your "Cap gun" Today you would in up in jail or court.Real gunpowder.Or the naked lady ink pens.when you held them up she got naked.By the way,My avatar thats me around 1955 sitting in my "First"Marauder" along with `ole Blue.

MERCMAN
10-21-2005, 06:21 AM
Computer punch cards?
Cellular telephones the size of a small valise, with a touch pad and corded handset attached?

Damn Duncan,, were you a busboy at the Last Supper??? :rofl:

Bradley G
10-21-2005, 06:42 AM
You had a Bike?:bows: :D

Thanks for the way back lesson.

Bluerauder
10-21-2005, 07:03 AM
... remember when you could get a box of "Caps" with five rolls in them for your "Cap gun"
Used to set off a whole roll at a time with a hammer ... much better than the "one cap at a time" routine. :D

Mike Poore
10-21-2005, 07:43 AM
I scored a 24. :o Only one that I can't remember was Black Jack Gum. But I do remember Sen-Sens. :D

It is amazing how much of that story rings true with me. My folks also had a revolving credit account at "Monkey Wards" (Montgomery Wards).
:rolleyes:
Charlie, I think I know where there's a pack of Blackjack; also, there was Clark's Teaberry gum. I still have a Montgomery Ward Credit card, and a pack of Marlboro's with a tax stamp on it..

Anyway, I scored 100% on the test, and could have added a few more. ....and, y'know what? I don't feel old at all, and feel fortunate that I'm lucky enough to have experienced all those wonderful things you guys have missed. I still remember the guy in his Navy uniform doing back flips down Main Street in Waynesboro, on VJ Day. :)

marauder307
10-21-2005, 02:13 PM
Computer punch cards?

Moon landing...two years before my time.

Modems...oh geez, yes. Forgot about that...you're right though.

Punch cards...before me, I think, but not by much.

Argentina invading the Falklands...yup. Last time the Argentines tried anything...at all.

Cellular telephones...my mom spent a ton of money on a bag phone back in 1989, and put some strict rules on it: Only in the car, only on long trips, only for emergencies. We dug it out of a pile of junk in my grandmother's basement last year, still intact but quite useless given the current state of technology.

What else? Oh yeah...old enough to remember the "Icky Shuffle" for the Chicago Bears (1985 team)...old enough to remember when McMahon actually had a football career...old enough to remember why Joe Theismann is a commentator and not actually playing the game anymore...should be old enough to remember the "Miracle Team" from the 1980 Olympics, but we were transiting back from Riyadh to Ft. Leavenworth that year and I was only 9 years old at the time, so that one escapes me...

Old enough to remember when the Atari 2600 was the premier home video game system...and if you had a Coleco, you were "living large"...

A few automotive ones: Old enough to remember how slick the 1977 Firebirds looked brand new (the '77 TA was the first musclecar I ever saw). Old enough to remember Dad bringing home a 1980 Chevy Citation and how front-wheel drive was supposed to be a great thing. The Citation---and the other GM X-bodies---almost sank the company. Ours had 14 recalls in the 5 years we owned it...we sold it off to an Irish military exchange officer at FLV when we left. Old enough to remember seeing "Smokey and the Bandit" for the first time....

RCSignals
10-21-2005, 02:15 PM
Damn Duncan,, were you a busboy at the Last Supper??? :rofl:

Yes, I still remember setting your place :)

CRUZTAKER
10-21-2005, 02:30 PM
I scored a 16. Where's the Geritol... :geezer:
16 as well.

Shaijack
10-21-2005, 02:33 PM
You can still get Black Jack Gum and Sen Sen's at Stupid.com

It's an old time candy store and has all kinds of old and wierd stuff.

Barry (shaijack) New Orleans LA. well whats left of it.

Mike Poore
10-21-2005, 03:22 PM
You can still get Black Jack Gum and Sen Sen's at Stupid.com

It's an old time candy store and has all kinds of old and wierd stuff.

Barry (shaijack) New Orleans LA. well whats left of it.Hey! How about MOXIE? It was the world's nastiest tasting soda.

I remember the AD: How about a MOXIE? I'M buying! ........uh, no thanks :puke:

Here's a link.. you can still buy the stuff. http://www.moxie.info/findmox.htm

Here's more:

Before Coca-Cola and Pepsi, there was Moxie soda. Known for its strong, rich flavor, Moxie soda is the oldest continuously produced soft drink in the United States. Since 1884 Moxie has been a favorite of many and has over time cultivated a devoted following of fans loyal to the truly unique taste of Moxie soda. Although readily available in a number of New England areas, the distribution area of the once widely popular Moxie soda has greatly dwindled, making it very difficult for most to enjoy the great taste of Moxie soda.

Petrograde
10-21-2005, 03:44 PM
I scored a 7. I guess I'm just damp behind the ears?

MERCMAN
10-21-2005, 06:18 PM
What else? Oh yeah...old enough to remember the "Icky Shuffle" for the Chicago Bears (1985 team)...

Ahem, I believe it was the Super Bowl Shuffle. The Icky Shuffle was at Cincinatti and it was only one player who did it. This was after the bears debut :up:

RCSignals
10-21-2005, 09:48 PM

Cellular telephones...my mom spent a ton of money on a bag phone back in 1989, and put some strict rules on it: Only in the car, only on long trips, only for emergencies. We dug it out of a pile of junk in my grandmother's basement last year, still intact but quite useless given the current state of technology.

.............................. .

Not so useless, people buy historic stuff like that
:D

MENINBLK
10-21-2005, 10:50 PM
Before I had my first tricycle, I had a pedal car.
It was a GREEN ARMY JEEP...
It was ALL METAL.
Plastic had not been invented yet !!!

Oh...wait...
Yes it was.
It covered all of the furniture in the living room...

David Morton
10-22-2005, 02:20 AM
My uncle had a Chevy panel van that had a starter pedal next to the gas pedal that mechanically engaged the starter gear with the flywheel. You stepped on the gas and it and then turned the key. This is the one Chrysler copied the design of for the PT Cruiser.

Cigarrette coupons.

All-Star Voting cards at every store that sold baseball card chewing gum. Some even inside the gum packs.

Samples of "Virginia Slims" cigarrettes delivered to your mailbox by the US Postal service. I was 7 and me and Zack stole them from everybodys box in the neighborhood. I still smoke.

Public emergency sirens that went off every day at noon.

Every TV station signed off with something patriotic, like Kate singing "God Bless America" or the one with the man reading a poem with the Air Force F-4 Phantom Drill Team doing their air show stuff, then the flag flying for a full minute, and then...

A test pattern with an Indian Chiefs head on it for ten minutes.

The record TV viewing show (Was it 20 million viewers?) was the one where they caught the one-armed man.

The Superbowl was interrupted by a showing of the film Heidi.

Every boy in America was pulling for Johnny Unitas to pull out a victory for the Baltimore Colts, but our dads all knew that Joe Namath and the Jets would win.

Jack Nicholas was a fat rich kid from Cincinnatti that nobody liked. Arnold Palmers' wife kissed his balls before every tournament.

Zha Zha Gabor let Johnny Carson pet her pu$$y on national TV.

*sigh* I miss Johnny.

Hack Goby
10-22-2005, 04:31 AM
Before I had my first tricycle, I had a pedal car.
It was a GREEN ARMY JEEP...
It was ALL METAL.
Plastic had not been invented yet !!!

Oh...wait...
Yes it was.
It covered all of the furniture in the living room...
Like I said look at my avatar,Thats an all metal spaceship and thats in 1955 remember how they used to vision space travel berore it really happened.

woaface
12-08-2005, 05:36 AM
Wait wait wait...I HAVE heard an actual ringing phone.

On the movies and and old one my grandma had:D

Fastronald
12-08-2005, 08:57 AM
I'll be 55 in March 2006................I remember ALL of that stuff.

spiders
12-08-2005, 12:46 PM
I'm still wondering why Gino's sold oiut to McDonalds and soft serve became a southern thing. Or why they stopped delivering milk... and for whoever said it, the wax bottles were fun to chew, just don't swallow...
Other notable items would include: HeathKit Computers (you remember, the club that built them from chips) and metal die-cast cars (not like my grandkids have today) and we were too early for atari, but pong came out when I was in my teens (you remember, that stupid blip moving ever so slowly from one side of the tv screen to the other). We got a tv in 1969, no not color. I remember saturday morning cartoons and after school specials. I recall the good old gas lines when you could only get gas if your plates were even/odd depending on the day, and those lines wound all over the place in PA! Our phone was a CH-, then went to 3 digit prefix in about 74. I remember the bicentennial parade in Philly, then the flash of our belived river on fire from chemicals being dumped....
our phones rang, not beeped, and we went outside after school, not sit inside on the computer or playing games on the tv.

juno
12-08-2005, 01:06 PM
How 'bout "Duck and Cover".
Where is your nearest Fall-out shelter?
Hard to believe we lived in a time like that.

For a while there with Reagan and the First Bush, I thought the world had become a better place, but now I 'd take my chances with Kruschev.

Bluerauder
12-08-2005, 02:06 PM
I'm still wondering why Gino's sold oiut to McDonalds and soft serve became a southern thing.
Wasn't Gino's fairly localized? Was named after Gino Marchetti who played for the "Baltimore Colts" long before the move to Indianapolis. :D

Anyone else remember "Ameche's" ? That was a drive-in hamburger joint in the late '50's and early 60's on the order of Checker's or Mel's Diner. That one was owned by Alan Ameche, also of the Baltimore Colts. :rolleyes:

prchrman
12-08-2005, 02:20 PM
I remember,
Helping momma make soap.
Grinding sausage after killing and scraping a hog.
Cutting the head off a chicken on Saturday for dumplings on Sunday.
Walking to my neighbors with my 3 sisters and 1 brother to watch Outer Limits (no TV) and then walking home in the dark scared to death.
Shelling corn for the chickens.
My first drink of a Pepsi and it spewing out my nose.
Laying on my bed listening to the radio on JFK being shot.
Making snow creme and popcorn balls.
Milking the cow every morning and every night.
Pulling weeds to feed the hog.
Going coon hunting with my dad and standing on his foot and holding on around his leg while he ran through the woods with a lantern.
Eating grandmothers home made biscuits and apple sauce off a wood stove.
Scratching the ice off the inside of the window in the house to see outside.
Peeing off the porch because my 3 sisters hogged the bathroom without mercy.
Sweeping the yard and pulling grass because anyone with sticks and grass in their yard was lazy.
Going and getting the coon dogs for dad and snapping 4 big hunting dogs together, falling and getting drug all the way to the IH Scout he hunted with.
Going to Pittsburg in 61 and seeing the steel mills glowing red and orange at night. I loved that and am a foundry man today.
Seeing families with more than 2 kids up to 19 kids in fact, (my great aunt).
Every service station had a horse shoe pit.
Coal yards and coal burning stoves.
19 cent gas.
Dipper at kitchen sink to drink water.
Broke buttons on my shirts because of the washer wringer.
Later a console stereo (6' long) with 8 track, AM FM and record changer, which I still have, it records 8 tracks, cool.
Real mac and cheese.
The good ole days, willie

Petrograde
12-08-2005, 04:07 PM
Arnold Palmers' wife kissed his balls before every tournament.

..did they televise this?! :eek:

spiders
12-08-2005, 04:37 PM
mind out of the gutter man, different balls

Pat
12-08-2005, 07:31 PM
Does anyone remember the "rumble seat"? That's were the kids sat (like a trunk) while mom and dad sat inside the coupe.

How about the Hudson Hornet car, a unique fast back design with a straight 6 or 8, I forget which.

Or, the first TV with the round screen not rectangular.

Or the Saturday Morning movies, with seven serial's(Lash LaRue), four movies and bunches of cartoons for twenty five cents.

And the list goes on.

jerrym3
12-20-2005, 07:18 AM
I'm going on 63, so here's a few more to think about.

Nashes and Hudsons with seats that folded down flat for "sleeping". Window screens were an option. On a similar note, drive-in movies. (First drive-in movie was opened in NJ.)

Kaiser-Frazer cars; separate car models.

Flash Gordon serial on TV with Buster Crabbe, as Flash, getting into a pickle at the end of every show that he miraculously got out of at the start on the next show.

The Navy ships moored in the middle of the Hudson River (NY/NJ area) at holidays. Watching the ships slowly turn around as the tide changed was amazing to watch.

Watching them hoist up the lower layer of the George Washington bridge, piece by piece.

Ice man deliveries (before everyone could afford a refrig with a (gasp!) freezer!)

Real Flag Day parades.

Tom McHahill (sp?) writing auto road tests in Popular Science magazines. (According to PS mag. "the 1955 0-60 champion, the 1955 Olds at 10.8 seconds!")

Car stuff: 55 Chrysler Corp trans shifting levers off the dash; 56 trans buttons on the left of the dash; 55 Packard push button trans off a box where the normal column shifter used to be; 49 Studebaker "hill holder" on standard shift models; late 40s/early 50s Chrysler "fluid drive" auto trans (put the clutch in, put the column gear selector into third gear position, let the clutch out at a stand still, apply gas, upshift by taking foot off the gas each time; want quick acceleration? at a standing start, depress clutch, put gear shift into second gear position which was a lower gear, and nail it; tri-tone outside paint schemes; reversible upholstry and torsion bar electronic load leveler suspension (Packard); starter buttons off an extension bar on the clutch (Studebaker) or engaged by flooring the gas pedal (Buick)

First muscle car? 1964 GTO? Maybe, but how about the late 50's (57?) Studebaker Golden Hawk (light Stude coupe body with Packard motor).