PDA

View Full Version : World's Top 100 Beers

dwasson
10-23-2005, 10:28 PM
I'm tired of the supercharger and oil arguments. Lets discuss what's really important.

clicky clicky (http://beeradvocate.com/top_beers.php)

Vortex
10-24-2005, 09:57 AM
"Rasberry Tart" my ass. Lets put down some real beers:

1. Schlitz (yep)
2. Pearl
3. Pabst
4. Coors
5. Bud (and no, not the Czech one, the real one)
6. Miller High Life
7-100. Any American (or maybe Mexican) beer that isnt either nasty tasting over-rated euro trash or some artsy-fartsy micro brew that tastes like you're drinking a loaf of bread.

MERCMAN
10-24-2005, 10:31 AM
"Rasberry Tart" my ass. Lets put down some real beers:

1. Schlitz (yep)
2. Pearl
3. Pabst
4. Coors
5. Bud (and no, not the Czech one, the real one)
6. Miller High Life
7-100. Any American (or maybe Mexican) beer that isnt either nasty tasting over-rated euro trash or some artsy-fartsy micro brew that tastes like you're drinking a loaf of bread.

And lets not forget Strohs, the only beer that after consuming a goodly number will allow you the distinct pleasure of being able to shat through a keyhole a block away and never touch the sides :rofl:

Mike Poore
10-24-2005, 10:46 AM
I'm tired of the supercharger and oil arguments. Lets discuss what's really important.

clicky clicky (http://beeradvocate.com/top_beers.php)Thanks Dan. I've had several, actually more, of these fine brews; although there are a few I'd add to the list; Dogfish Head's 120min IPA, for instance, or Victory Brewing's HopDevel and Troeg's Hop Back. I'd say there are about 20 on the list I need to try, and will make that task my life's ambition.
OH, and Carrol Stoudt's wonderful Heffe Weissen.:beer:

Cheeseheadbob
10-24-2005, 11:11 AM
Not to be picky Mike, but they use rice in the mash, which in turn winds up in the wort. The big brewers do things remarkably well and produce incrediably consistant beer. Unfortunatly they use quite a few chemical additives to achieve this. If you had to list all of the ingredients of the macro beers, there would not be any room for the brand. Budweiser alone has 93 or so chemical additives. Anything from foam stabilizers to preservatives. I'll take my "bread in a glass" with no preservatives and avoid the chemical hangover anyday!
since they use Rice in their wort. :puke:

STLR FN
10-24-2005, 11:20 AM
I don't care where my Rolling Rock falls, just give me some and I'll be happy. :beer:

Breadfan
10-24-2005, 11:29 AM
I didn't see "Mountain Brew" on there???

It's my personal brew, made with about 30% Mt. Dew!!!

Cool list, I've had some. I know some make fun of "Rasberry Tart" sorts of beers, but you know, if that's not manly enough there are plenty of brews out there that will put some hair on your chest. ;)

I like many of the micro brews, very interesting flavors and characteristics. At the same time, I can be happy with a Coors or Red Dog or a Mickeys. ;)

fastblackmerc
10-24-2005, 01:28 PM
I didn't see "Mountain Brew" on there???

It's my personal brew, made with about 30% Mt. Dew!!!

Cool list, I've had some. I know some make fun of "Rasberry Tart" sorts of beers, but you know, if that's not manly enough there are plenty of brews out there that will put some hair on your chest. ;)

I like many of the micro brews, very interesting flavors and characteristics. At the same time, I can be happy with a Coors or Red Dog or a Mickeys. ;)
But there are alot out there that will take the hair off your chest :D

Petrograde
10-24-2005, 02:33 PM
If you've ever been to Germany,.. and didn't go here (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/11253/) then you really missed out!

Kloster Kreuzberg is a monastary near Wildflicken. Quite simply it is the best damn beir on this planet! hands down. :bows: :beer:

2003 MIB
10-24-2005, 02:33 PM
Shiner Bock.

QWK SVT
10-24-2005, 05:57 PM
Alexander Keiths and Moosehead are some of favorite 'big name' Canadian brands.

I found a great little micro, that has, among other things, a hickory smoke flavored lager... Not the best to drink, but man does it ever make a mean marinade for the BBQ!

hdwrench
10-24-2005, 06:02 PM
all time #1 beer = FREE BEER in mass quantities

:beer:

Cheeseheadbob
10-24-2005, 06:29 PM
It's hard to believe that it did not make the list!

younga1
10-24-2005, 07:04 PM
Lone Star "The National Beer of Texas"
It's hard to believe that it did not make the list!

Joe Walsh
10-24-2005, 07:56 PM
WHAT?????

They left out Bal'mor's own Natty Bo'...!!!! :eek: :nono:

(National Bohemian)

You can't have steamed crabs WITHOUT a cold Natty Bo' Hon!

teamrope
10-24-2005, 09:21 PM

That about sums it up for me too. :stupid:

Dark_Knight7096
10-24-2005, 09:34 PM
What about some OE???? How about RAMROD ale, that stuff is pretty good. Heck anything friends give me when i go over their house is good, and anything i think to stock in my house i consider good as well. Question, can SAKE be considered beer? I know it is called "Rice Wine" but the way it is produced, it is brewed not fermented like traditional wines, this means it would have more in common with beers correct. Ahhhhhhhhhh screw it, here's my spur of the moment not enough time to think about it list:
1. Miller Light/RAMROD
2. Sam Adams: winter brew
3. Sam Adams: OKTOBERFEST/Lowenbrau
4. Kilians/Yeungling

and i absolutely HATE guiness...UNLESS i'm doin a carbomb, strange how that works out huh?

dwasson
10-24-2005, 09:42 PM
Y'all can whine about the raspberry beers but Cave Creek Brewery makes a chili beer. You'd beg for a raspberry beer after that one.

jobrien8
10-25-2005, 01:31 AM
Does anybody remember "Leaping Deer" :beer: from their tour to Southeast Asia 30+ years ago.
Another from Germany is Bitburger Pils. Was brewed in a town called Bitburg (suprise). Near both Bitburg and Spangdahlem Air Bases.

Bluerauder
10-25-2005, 06:53 AM
Another from Germany is Bitburger Pils. Was brewed in a town called Bitburg (suprise). Near both Bitburg and Spangdahlem Air Bases.
I remember Bitburger Pils. :rolleyes: But, the local beer in my area was Kirn Pils (Kaiserslautern-Baumholder-Birkenfeld vicinity). :D

There's a local German restaurant near me that is "the real deal" and as close to the food that I remember as you can get without making the long trip. Their menu has a "smoked beer" that I can't ever pass up when I visit. :up: If I can get my memory to cooperate ... I'll post a link for the beer. ;)

Schlenkerla Rauchbier (http://www.schlenkerla.de/indexe.htm )

Mike Poore
10-25-2005, 07:13 AM
I remember Bitburger Pils. :rolleyes: But, the local beer in my area was Kirn Pils (Kaiserslautern-Baumholder-Birkenfeld vicinity). :D

There's a local German restaurant near me that is "the real deal" and as close to the food that I remember as you can get without making the long trip. Their menu has a "smoked beer" that I can't ever pass up when I visit. :up: If I can get my memory to cooperate ... I'll post a link for the beer. ;)
Most of us beer lovers understand there's no best beer, and all selections, like wines, depend upon the occation and the food it's consumed with. I have a fondness for the double bocks, such as Spaten's Optimator, but as far as the Pils style goes, Pilsner Urquell, when it's on tap, fairly jumps from the glass at you. Then, there's those special occations, when it's McEwan's Wee Heavy. :beer:

Petrograde
10-25-2005, 02:37 PM
I have a fondness for the double bocks, such as Spaten's Optimator :beer:

you mean this? (http://www.liquidsolutions.ws/main/) just click on the side and scroll down to Spaten. :beer:

They also sell Mead... anyone ever have it? I was thinking about ordering some just to try it.

CRUZTAKER
10-25-2005, 02:54 PM
you mean this? (http://www.liquidsolutions.ws/main/) just click on the side and scroll down to Spaten. :beer:

They also sell Mead... anyone ever have it? I was thinking about ordering some just to try it.
In Disney's EPCOT. The German city display has ice cold, from the keg SPATEN poured by officially dressed wenches.

Are they called wenches in Germany...:dunno:

Nice!:beer:

Best beer in Korea. OB.

Mike Poore
10-25-2005, 03:59 PM

You'll notice all the double bocks end in "ator" Optimator, Celebrator etc. I made a batch for one of our Ham Radio get-togethers we named Radiator, and my all time favorate was one we called Masterbator ...it was trow dropping good.;)

Mead is very special. I have one bottle remaining of the batch from December 1994, and am saving it for a very special occation. It takes a LOT of honey to brew a batch, and I can't recall pouring any that was less than 5 years old. I think it's fairly difficult to find the genuine article.

Tallboy
10-25-2005, 04:12 PM
Alexander Keiths and Moosehead are some of favorite 'big name' Canadian brands.

I found a great little micro, that has, among other things, a hickory smoke flavored lager... Not the best to drink, but man does it ever make a mean marinade for the BBQ!

Mike, I still think of that Moosehead we were drinking in the parking lot at MVIII! Thanks again!!! :beer:

QWK SVT
10-25-2005, 06:17 PM
Mike, I still think of that Moosehead we were drinking in the parking lot at MVIII! Thanks again!!! :beer:
If I had known it would be so easy to get across the border with it, I would have brought more! Guaranteed, I'll have a care package for the next time, too :beer:

Bluerauder
10-26-2005, 07:21 AM
Are they called wenches in Germany...:dunno:
Only once :bop: :rofl: Most of them preferred "fraulein". :D

Mike Poore
10-26-2005, 01:16 PM
Hey! Parking lot beer. That's one time when "run whut you brung" fits just fine, exceing those gawdawful lite beers.

Bud Light, he said, that's not beer, ...it's marketing

... And the defination of redundant? Miller Light, of course. :banned:

duhtroll
10-26-2005, 01:44 PM
Billy Beer!

or Blatz light.

Wha? He shed besht beer? Naw, Eyezsh shure he shed worsht beer.

WhaddaYOUknow anywaysh ya lousy drunk bashted?

*urp*

awcrap

mcb26
10-26-2005, 01:57 PM
I'll have what the gentleman on the floor had. :drink:

Ross
10-27-2005, 10:56 AM
I wish I had a nickle for every Pearl and/or Lone Star that I've ever drunk. The past 10 or 15 years, though, Shiner Bock has been my old standby. With all of the German and Czech communities in Texas, there is one heck of a brewing tradition here, for which I am eternally grateful! :beer:

2003 MIB
10-27-2005, 10:59 AM
The past 10 or 15 years, though, Shiner Bock has been my old standby.
Did I mention Ross was a genius?

Ross
10-27-2005, 11:24 AM
Did I mention Ross was a genius?

Flattery will get you free beer! But you already knew that.

2003 MIB
10-27-2005, 11:35 AM
Flattery will get you free beer! But you already knew that.
Just to clue the rest of you in...at MVI- I was awestruck by seeing more Marauders in one place than I had ever seen before. I was standing in the parking lot grinning like an idiot when this cowboy came up to me and said, "Pretty cool, huh?"- I replied, "The only way this could get better is with beer!"
He walked me to the ice chest filled trunk of his 300A and handed me a cold Shiner Bock. We toasted and watched the burnout parade.:beer:
That cowboy was Ross.
Good times...

Ross
10-27-2005, 11:46 AM
Great memories, pardner! I have really missed not being at subsequent MV's, but timing just hasn't worked out. Hopefully I will see more of my MM buddies in the future.

Dragcity
10-27-2005, 12:52 PM
A thread about beer and I just discovered it? It so happens I am a Homebrewer and a National Beer Judge. I have won 8 Gold, 9 Silver and 6 Bronze medals in local competition.

I had no idea you guys were beer snobs as well. This site just keeps getting cooler and cooler.

Try to get your hands on Southern Tier IPA out of NY. About the best I've had...