PDA

View Full Version : OOPS! Got an Engine Problem...

FordNut
10-24-2005, 10:51 AM
This morning I went to pickup my car after leaving it with my tuner for the weekend. First words out of his mouth were "you need to build an engine". I'm thinking he broke a rod or piston on the dyno and it's broke. Nope, he's trying to prepare me for the eventual breakage.

Background: After getting the supercharger on and getting the initial tune I was having a problem with the Check Engine Light (CEL) coming on. Turns out the left bank was running lean, mostly at idle. It also had a few drivability issues with shift points. Aric (my tuner) was going to work on the fuel trim and shifting a little.

He put it on the dyno with the fuel trim balanced better and he couldn't get it to make less than 471 RWHP. That's with only 10 degrees of timing advance. He's afraid to retard it any more because of the high EGT that comes with excessive retarding. He increased the AFR to 10:1 but at higher RPMs the fuel pumps can't maintain enough pressure and it drops to about 11:1 so adding a BAP may help reduce the power a little bit. He doesn't like to have a stock bottom end running more than 450 RWHP but he can't get mine down that low. He says it's a ticking time bomb.

What a problem to have, TOO MUCH POWER !

fastblackmerc
10-24-2005, 11:01 AM
This morning I went to pickup my car after leaving it with my tuner for the weekend. First words out of his mouth were "you need to build an engine". I'm thinking he broke a rod or piston on the dyno and it's broke. Nope, he's trying to prepare me for the eventual breakage.

Background: After getting the supercharger on and getting the initial tune I was having a problem with the Check Engine Light (CEL) coming on. Turns out the left bank was running lean, mostly at idle. It also had a few drivability issues with shift points. Aric (my tuner) was going to work on the fuel trim and shifting a little.

He put it on the dyno with the fuel trim balanced better and he couldn't get it to make less than 471 RWHP. That's with only 10 degrees of timing advance. He's afraid to retard it any more because of the high EGT that comes with excessive retarding. He increased the AFR to 10:1 but at higher RPMs the fuel pumps can't maintain enough pressure and it drops to about 11:1 so adding a BAP may help reduce the power a little bit. He doesn't like to have a stock bottom end running more than 450 RWHP but he can't get mine down that low. He says it's a ticking time bomb.

What a problem to have, TOO MUCH POWER !
TOO MUCH POWER! We should all have that problem!

Breadfan
10-24-2005, 11:17 AM
Sounds like you first need a BAP and/or a higher volume pump.

Second, could you just put a larger pulley on the S/C to lower boost?

FordNut
10-24-2005, 11:51 AM
Sounds like you first need a BAP and/or a higher volume pump.

Second, could you just put a larger pulley on the S/C to lower boost?
Already have the twin cobra pumps, BAP will be added this week.

The blower has a 3.90" pulley, I could go up a little but it's only making 9 psi peak boost.