PDA

View Full Version : Dusted By A Chrysler 300

423REED
10-28-2005, 07:05 AM
I was out for lunch yesterday on the way to McDonalds, and a new 2005 Chrysler 300C pulled alongside me at a stop light. It was black and it all happened to fast to see any model markings. I had my OD and TC both turned off. My 2004 Marauder DTR is a bone stock car with no mods. The light changed to green and I pushed the pedal into the floor, but the Chrysler dusted me off like I had a four cylinder under my hood. It had to be a SRT/8 because it looked like it wasn't even trying hard. I was really disappointed. I guess I have to figure out a way to afford to get the Trilogy S/C installed in my Marauder, or, I won't stand a chance against the new Mustang GT, Shelby GT500, Charger SRT/8 and Chrysler 300C SRT/8.

Despite this experience, my car is generally fast and I dust other cars all the time. But it sure doesn't feel good to be the 'dustee'.
Jim

Eric91Z
10-28-2005, 07:39 AM
Well, I am kind of hoping to find out tonight what mine will do with a 300C. Hoping to get together with a couple friends for dinner tonight, one of which has a 300C. We have talked about getting them out to play together since I got the Marauder, but we haven't had the chance. I know for sure that with both cars having stock exhaust that the Marauder sounds MUCH better!!!

bigslim
10-28-2005, 08:06 AM
A 300C will beat a stock MM. If you have some mods such as tune and 410 you will give a 300C a good run. If you run a SRT-8 300C you better have a supercharger to compete.

Eric91Z
10-28-2005, 08:47 AM
A 300C will beat a stock MM. If you have some mods such as tune and 410 you will give a 300C a good run. If you run a SRT-8 300C you better have a supercharger to compete.

I wouldn't even try to think I could run with a SRT-8 in any of the 3 body styles. I just have the XCal2 and CAI, no gears. And I have driven my buddies 300C. Maybe it is just deceiving or it is the way it delivers the power, but it doesn't seem any faster than my Marauder. And the night I drove it a Grand Prix GTP (previous body style) got a slight jump off a light on me (didn't think he would want to race) and held it for just a little bit...

Guess we will see.

Big House
10-28-2005, 10:45 AM
Honestly you should have been…and I will tell you why. It is simply the power to weight ratio differences between the two cars. Let me show you this: the 300C has a curb weight of 3700 lbs with the average driver add 200lbs and you have 3900lbs. Our Marauders have a curb weight of about 4200 lbs. Add in the same driver and that weight goes to 4400 lbs.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p> </o:p>

Now the 300C is listed at 340 horses while our Marauders a smaller 302. That yields a Power to Weight ratio of .0871 for the 300C while the Marauder’s is .0686. Winner…300C.

Bluerauder
10-28-2005, 11:48 AM
Let me show you this: the 300C has a curb weight of 3700 lbs with the average driver add 200lbs and you have 3900lbs. Our Marauders have a curb weight of about 4200 lbs. Add in the same driver and that weight goes to 4400 lbs.
The 300C only weighs in at 3700 pounds??? :confused: Where did they save the weight?? The darn thing looks at least as large and heavy as a Marauder not including the 100 pounds of sheer ugly front end that it carries. :rolleyes:

<update> Checked the stats and as I suspected, the base 300C with autotrans weighs in at 4251 lbs. The other models are listed at 4041 pounds.

The Marauder is 4164 pounds as I recall.

So, the 300C only carries about 87 pounds of front end ugly. :rofl: I stand corrected.

Big House
10-28-2005, 12:21 PM
Blue,

Motor Trend listed it at 3700, but that was it curb weight not gross.

Eric91Z
10-28-2005, 12:37 PM
As for "real world" weights, mine weighed in at 4180 with half a tank of gas, spare tire, etc in it. I weigh about 240. Total normal weight is then about 4420 with me driving. I would not be too suprised if the 300C were a little lighter than that. And it definitely has more horsepower and more importantly torque than our Marauders. Then again they have a 2.?? gear to our 3.55 and they seem to be extremely govererned by the computer, even with the TC turned off on them.

I think it would come down to driver and situation with a lightly modified Marauder vs. stock 300C. Just my opinion, though, and we know about those...

mpearce
10-28-2005, 01:38 PM
It had to be a SRT/8 because it looked like it wasn't even trying hard.
Doubt it. Ive seen stock 300C's run 14.0's at the dragstrip. I also got pulled on like I was standing still by a 300C on the highway. I had the same list of mods in my sig...he was behind me riding my a$$, we're both doing 65. I slam the gas and take off. He follows suit, and runs right up behind me, and passes me doing about 110 without even trying. Sorry to say, but a stock 300C will even beat a lightly modded MM.

-Mat

RCSignals
10-28-2005, 03:27 PM
Doubt it. Ive seen stock 300C's run 14.0's at the dragstrip. I also got pulled on like I was standing still by a 300C on the highway. I had the same list of mods in my sig...he was behind me riding my a$$, we're both doing 65. I slam the gas and take off. He follows suit, and runs right up behind me, and passes me doing about 110 without even trying. Sorry to say, but a stock 300C will even beat a lightly modded MM.

-Mat

How do you know he was stock?

jgc61sr2002
10-28-2005, 04:01 PM
The 300C only weighs in at 3700 pounds??? :confused: Where did they save the weight?? The darn thing looks at least as large and heavy as a Marauder not including the 100 pounds of sheer ugly front end that it carries. :rolleyes:

<update> Checked the stats and as I suspected, the base 300C with autotrans weighs in at 4251 lbs. The other models are listed at 4041 pounds.

The Marauder is 4164 pounds as I recall.

So, the 300C only carries about 87 pounds of front end ugly. :rofl: I stand corrected.

The 300C has a unibody where the Marauder has a full frame.

bugsys03
10-28-2005, 06:06 PM

For the most part there are no effective mods for the mopar. Slight gains with the exhaust mod, which cant be fully effective because no one can tune them.

mpearce
10-28-2005, 06:16 PM
You are right. I can't actually confirm that he was stock, but I'd definitely bet on it. As for 300C's whipping up on totally stock MM's, it'll happen all day on the street, and the track unfortunately.

Ive seen numerous 300C's run 14.0's all day, bone stock. My best modded time ever is 14.2's. The car was black, chrome trim everywhere, dirty as hell, and the guy driving didn't really look like he was "into" his car like he was racing me. He was pissed because I wasn't going fast enough for his liking, so he passed me out of nuissance more than anything. I had everything I could into it. Oh well. All the losing well end eventually. No big deal to me.

-Mat

bigslim
10-28-2005, 09:43 PM

-Mat
Top end on the 300C will beat our cars. They have a smaller gear ratio for top end. I ran a Magnum on the freeway before I got supercharged and I held with him up to about 100-110 and then he started to pull on me.

RCSignals
10-28-2005, 10:13 PM
For the most part there are no effective mods for the mopar. Slight gains with the exhaust mod, which cant be fully effective because no one can tune them.

Interesting. I read somewhere a little while ago, can't remember now if it was a magazine or at a web site, that there is custom tuning available for the new hemis. The number of places that can do it is limited, and I had the impression the tuners were operating in cooperation with DCX. (which surprised me as they are usually very close to the vest.) It certainly isn't as widely available as tuning for a Ford or even a GM product, and may never be.

jstevens
10-29-2005, 06:05 AM
Mat,
You just need to add a little Nos. Thats what I'm thinking of.

mpearce
10-29-2005, 07:56 AM
Mat,
You just need to add a little Nos. Thats what I'm thinking of.
John...a good idea indeed. Lidio's install looks sweet, very clean, and is definitely on my list. All in due time...

-Mat

Eric91Z
10-29-2005, 09:46 AM
Just my input here again. Did get to meet up with my buddies for dinner last night and did a little playing with my one friend with the 300C. All I can say is my 14.7 car was getting pulled by his stock 300C from rolling punches. Now, granted he kept jumping first, but even once I would get on it, the car would downshift, and he was still pulling.

One more reason I need the Trilogy!!!!

Glenn
10-29-2005, 05:51 PM
I have gone with two 300Cs and pulled on both of them with my modest mods. But, you have got to have mods to run with a 300C. The 4:10s and PI TC will take them off the line. I did not go over the century mark because the frame of reference here is 1/4 mile and 100 is about all a 300C or modest moded N/A MM will do in the 1/4.

Glenn

Big House
10-30-2005, 09:09 AM
IMO it is not always:rolleyes: who can beat who. Throw in the other factors and the Marauder wins hands down. The 300 is a Magnum without the wagon tail and both have the fronts of trucks. Yes they have the egde in the power catagory, but eye for eye...the Marauder looks better. So while we can't run low 14's stock, we can stop all in their tracks with one beautiful car...see what I mean (look below).

Big House

Eric91Z
10-30-2005, 12:30 PM
IMO it is not always:rolleyes: who can beat who. Throw in the other factors and the Marauder wins hands down. The 300 is a Magnum without the wagon tail and both have the fronts of trucks. Yes they have the egde in the power catagory, but eye for eye...the Marauder looks better. So while we can't run low 14's stock, we can stop all in their tracks with one beautiful car...see what I mean (look below).

Big House

I would have to agree with this. My Buddy with the 300C still is impressed with something on the Marauder everytime he sees it. He likes the interior better, loves the way it sounds better, likes the trunk access better, and even the wheels better.

Needless to say, though, he still likes his 300C a lot and would not have gone with something else. Then again, he got the very first 300C in the area when they first came out.

BlackHole
10-30-2005, 03:51 PM
I would have to agree with this. My Buddy with the 300C still is impressed with something on the Marauder everytime he sees it. He likes the interior better, loves the way it sounds better, likes the trunk access better, and even the wheels better.

Needless to say, though, he still likes his 300C a lot and would not have gone with something else. Then again, he got the very first 300C in the area when they first came out.

I think it has to do with the cookie cutter all look the same no matter if its a base 300 Touring or C plus how many Rauders are even used in the rent a car fleets none that I know of but my local Enterprise has 3 Touring and a 300C though

Rkammer
11-01-2005, 05:42 PM
then it was even and I stayed about a length ahead. My mods are the 4.10 and SCT and CAI. I've never seen a bone stock 300c run 14 flat. They usually go in the mid to high 14s at our local strip in Orlando. But again, the old saying goes, TNSFCU! THERE'S NO SUBSTITUTE FOR CUBIC INCHES. Our 4.6s just have to be underdogs to their 5.7s. :banana2:

Badger
11-02-2005, 10:53 AM
Considering they have a full 1.1 liter of displacement on us it's amazing just how good our cars do run.

Run the calulator with a 3.5 liter engine in a car with our weight and see if it can do the same times?

Dragcity
11-02-2005, 11:12 AM
I used to drive a '90 Lincoln Town Car, Cartier edition. By all counts' the Marauder is laid out the same way, body style, framework, interior and trunk. To me, my Marauder truely is a Hot Rod Lincoln. We totally cruise in style vs all other cars out there. I've driven faster cars and more luxurious cars, but my Marauder takes the cake. A perfect balance in my humble opinion.

Next time any of us comes up against a 300, just pit them and drive on by....

Tom Kuznicki
11-02-2005, 08:11 PM
I used to drive a '90 Lincoln Town Car, Cartier edition. By all counts' the Marauder is laid out the same way, body style, framework, interior and trunk. To me, my Marauder truely is a Hot Rod Lincoln. We totally cruise in style vs all other cars out there. I've driven faster cars and more luxurious cars, but my Marauder takes the cake. A perfect balance in my humble opinion.

Next time any of us comes up against a 300, just pit them and drive on by....
I hate to say this but, Quit whining. Chrysler done their homework on these cars so give them credit where credit is due. Everyone it seems thinks that a supercharger is the answer for the Marauder but think about this for a minute. WHAT IF, the 300C opts for a supercharger, we will still be in 2nd place. and as far as the weight issue goes, you can deduct 12/100 of a second off your ET for every 100 pounds of vehicle weight you remove, so, even if you equalize the weights of the 2 cars, on HP alone, the 300C will still beat out cars. So my bottom line is, Lets enjoy our Marauders but still tip our hats to other makes of American Muscle. :cool4: