PDA

View Full Version : tom tom (gps) anyone?

cb13
11-01-2005, 06:26 PM
anyone have a tom tom unit? considering one to help me get around in a new section of my sales territory.

anyone have any general advice one the best/easiest to use/easiest to update/best supported gps units (portable type) that are out there?

tia.

Petrograde
11-02-2005, 04:10 AM
I've been looking at these,.. but, I'm not sure if they have real-time traffic and weather. Until they have this nifty real-time stuff worked out I won't dump the cash into it.

I'm currently using a Garmin Street Pilot III. It's slightly dated, but it works just fine.

Mikeenh
11-02-2005, 09:48 AM
I had a Tom Tom 700. Piece of crap. I sent it back and took the restocking hit it was so bad. I have a Garmin 2720 now. Love it. It does text to speech, meaning it will tell you the name of each street or route number, not just say turn right or left. Has great re-routing features too.

grampaws
11-02-2005, 10:28 AM
I've read reviews on the garmin it seems to have some very

good features..For traffic updates You will require A sirius or X/M
Satelite subcription and I've heard the traffic updates can be spotty
and work in Major city centers only..could be wrong-there are some
with the Pioneer stereo/nav systems which work really well but
they are to rich for my blood...

fastblackmerc
11-02-2005, 11:34 AM
I've read reviews on the garmin it seems to have some very

good features..For traffic updates You will require A sirius or X/M
Satelite subcription and I've heard the traffic updates can be spotty
and work in Major city centers only..could be wrong-there are some
with the Pioneer stereo/nav systems which work really well but
they are to rich for my blood...
I have a NavMate 2.0. Not the best unit out there but adequate considering the price ($200.00 or less on eBay). PM me if you need more 411.

Festus
11-02-2005, 01:09 PM
anyone have a tom tom unit? considering one to help me get around in a new section of my sales territory.

anyone have any general advice one the best/easiest to use/easiest to update/best supported gps units (portable type) that are out there?

tia.

I have a Compaq Ipaq 3650 with a wired GPS that I've been looking to sell. It works fine, all you would need is the GPS software to go with it.

Basically, it is an Ipaq PDA and a GPS receiver about the size of a hockey puck that plugs into the Ipaq. Both can run off of their own batteries, or off of DC.

Let me know if you are interested. I can send some pictures as well.

Eric Steel

grampaws
11-02-2005, 05:06 PM
The Microsoft steets and trips has GPS

capabilty--haven't tried it!! but if you already have
a laptop this could be another alternative...
still have to buy(borrow) software and GPS unit..

1stMerc
11-02-2005, 06:28 PM
I have a Garmin GPS V. Works pretty good but does not have voice capability and only has 19mb memory. Portable and durable enough to be mounted on a bike or motorcycle. Not as fancy as the Tom Tom, but gets the job done.

Festus
11-03-2005, 02:59 PM
The Microsoft steets and trips has GPS

capabilty--haven't tried it!! but if you already have
a laptop this could be another alternative...
still have to buy(borrow) software and GPS unit..

I have MS Streets and Trips on my laptop and it does have GPS support, but it's not that great. It doesn't provide turn by turn instructions. That's the nice thing about getting the software for a palm sized device.