PDA

View Full Version : Question for you old Chevy guys:

BillyGman
11-04-2005, 01:55 AM
Has anyone here ever run a 4L80E transmission in there hi-perf street car? if so, how did you like it, and how did it hold up? There's a place that makes them w/out any electronics so that a computer is NOT needed. These transmisions are supposed to be able to take a beaten according to the claims. But I haven't any experience with them. this has nothing to do with my Marauder BTW, but with another car that I will soon have.

Brutus
11-04-2005, 02:09 AM
Did you find a '55 Billy? I found another if not.

BillyGman
11-04-2005, 02:14 AM
Did you find a '55 Billy? I found another if not.No, but I have to look at a Camaro over the weekend, and another board member will be inspecting a 71 Monte carlo for me on Monday. So the verdict is still out. What have you found?

Brutus
11-04-2005, 07:18 AM
Billy,

PM sent

Brutus

qkjuicedpony
11-04-2005, 07:42 AM
the transmission you are speaking of has to be a 4L80 instead of a 4L80E.the 4L80E has an electronically controlled valve body and requires a computer to control the shifts.The 4L80 can work without any electronics.the 4L80 is basically a 400 transmisson with an overdrive...it is a strong transmission.

this is Brian@ Grand Mufflers....we look forward to inspecting that Monte Carlo for you on moday.

Ross
11-04-2005, 08:41 AM
Hey, Brian-- since you are a transmission guy, can I call you to ask a few questions about some of my recent experiences? If so, please give me your number. Thanks

qkjuicedpony
11-04-2005, 09:13 AM
Well....Todd said to feel free to call me at the shop anytime....Grand Mufflers: 770.426.0763....BUT......you better call before 11:45 am Eastern this morning....'cause we're closin early and GONE RACIN'!!!!!!!!!!!

BillyGman
11-04-2005, 10:45 AM
Billy,

PM sent

BrutusThanks very much Brutus!!!

BillyGman
11-04-2005, 10:52 AM
the transmission you are speaking of has to be a 4L80 instead of a 4L80E.the 4L80E has an electronically controlled valve body and requires a computer to control the shifts.The 4L80 can work without any electronics.the 4L80 is basically a 400 transmisson with an overdrive...it is a strong transmission.

this is Brian@ Grand Mufflers....we look forward to inspecting that Monte Carlo for you on moday.Thanks for that info Brian, and I really appreciate what both you and Todd Fischer will be doing for me next week!!! BTW, I didn't know that there is such a thing as an "4L80" transmission (I mean one w/out the electronics). I thought that this place here is the only place that converts the 4L80E's into a non-electronic transmission........

http://www.the-transmission-center.com/ are you familiar with this place that the link brings you to? And if so, are they good or bad? If you know of other places that build-up the 4L80 transmissions, then please let me know.

grzellmer
11-04-2005, 11:58 AM
Billy

I had a 4L80E in a '97 K2500 Suburban that I used to own. Used it to tow a 7,000 lb Travel Trailer. It is a very good transmission. Are you planning to put one in a car? Have you sized one for the application. Curious because a 4L80 is BIG!

Good Luck

Z

01 Interceptor
11-04-2005, 01:59 PM
I have heard of at least one Impala SS owner who had a built 4L80E installed behind a monster engine. They're made for the trucks, and can hold up much better than their 4L60E brothers.

wchain
11-04-2005, 08:42 PM
4L80E is a electronic version of the 400 trans with Overdrive and electronics.

4L60E is the 700R4 with Overdirve and Electronics. You may be better off going with something not electronically controlled.

LiLWrink
11-04-2005, 09:15 PM
The 4L80E Is a heavy transmission, and the workhorse that is currently holding the light truck market.
There is a stand alone (ECM) module that can be bought seperatly and installed allowing the transmission to operate independantly of any other programs. Jeg's and Summit both have them listed in the catalogs.

I was reluctant to respond thinking this was a trick to expose chevy owners.

BillyGman
11-05-2005, 12:27 AM
Wes, & Shane, I think perhaps you guys might have missed what I stated in my first post, as well as the link in post #9. I'm considering the purchase of a NON-ELECTRONIC 4L80E transmission (I guess you would call that a "4L80") from a place that rebuilds them to race specs, and does away with all the electronics in them by using a manual valvebody.

Yes, they are primarily truck transmissions and atre pretty big, however, there ARE cars that come with them from the factory such as the Rolls Royce, as well as two different Jaguar models (one of them being the Supercharged V8 model). And if the 4L80 doesn't fit in the car I'm going to buy for this project, then I'll simply cut a 3'x3' hole in the floor where the driveshaft/transmission/bell housing tunnel begins, and get some sheet metal, and bring it over to a buddy of mine who has a roller as well as other sheet medal fabricating tools, and he will make a piece for me that will be adequate, that will then be welded into the car. Problem solved.;)

TripleTransAm
11-05-2005, 08:36 AM
4L60E is the 700R4 with Overdirve and Electronics. You may be better off going with something not electronically controlled.

The 700R4 is a 4 speed overdrive already.

Sometime in the early early early 1990s GM changed its designation to 4L60 (I don't think there were any mechanical changes) and then in 1994 the 'E' was added to the name to denote the electronically-controlled version. The first digit denotes the number of forward speeds, L for longitudinally-mounted (the FWD ones are 'T' for transverse), and the last 2 digits are used for torque capacity (no idea what the numbers translate to).

Recently, the 4L60E was upgraded (torque-wise) and is now denoted as 4L65E.

BillyGman
11-05-2005, 11:56 AM
The 700R4 is a 4 speed overdrive already.

Sometime in the early early early 1990s GM changed its designation to 4L60 (I don't think there were any mechanical changes) and then in 1994 the 'E' was added to the name to denote the electronically-controlled version. The first digit denotes the number of forward speeds, L for longitudinally-mounted (the FWD ones are 'T' for transverse), and the last 2 digits are used for torque capacity (no idea what the numbers translate to).

Recently, the 4L60E was upgraded (torque-wise) and is now denoted as 4L65E.Thanks for that info Steve. If the "65" denotes the torque capacity in some way like you've stated, then I guess that the 4L80 would still be a better transmission to start with as far as durability and longevity in high HP applications.

BillyGman
11-06-2005, 12:46 AM
Brian, I just sent you a PM