PDA

View Full Version : Fraud Alert Please Read!!

DEFYANT
11-05-2005, 10:21 AM
This thread (http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=22368)has a link to a web site that asks you to put you birthday in for info on you and the day you were born.

A link at the bottom of the page offers to tell you what your name means.

If you put your info into this site, you just gave them your full name and date of birth!! Often that is all a person intent of defrauding you needs.

Proceed with caution.

SergntMac
11-05-2005, 10:51 AM
I agree, good call Defyant.

Mike Poore
11-05-2005, 12:42 PM
This thread (http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=22368)has a link to a web site that asks you to put you birthday in for info on you and the day you were born.

A link at the bottom of the page offers to tell you what your name means.

If you put your info into this site, you just gave them your full name and date of birth!! Often that is all a person intent of defrauding you needs.

Proceed with caution.
Are you guys sure about that? mean, can't anyone who asks for your driver's license for ID. get the same info, and a lot more?

twolow
11-05-2005, 01:06 PM
Should I not hold any future birthday parties? Everyone would know my details then :P

I'm gonna start looking closer at the 'famous birthdays' section in the paper. I'm gonna get paid!!

BruteForce
11-05-2005, 03:29 PM
Your full name & birth date are public records (birth certs). Without a critical other piece like your SSN, its pretty unlikely they'll get very far.

DEFYANT
11-05-2005, 03:41 PM
Take it from a guy who has taken the reports for internet fraud and identity theft. I have seen the finantial ruin people go through to clear their name.

Yes name and DOB are limited info, but why give them ANYTHING!

I am an LEO and this situation doesn't sound right. Thats just me guys, carry on.

TooManyFords
11-05-2005, 04:19 PM
That's why I used Marty's name instead of mine!

Cheers!

John

CRUZTAKER
11-05-2005, 05:16 PM
That's why I used Marty's name instead of mine!

Cheers!

John
NICE!:coolman:

I used Tads.
:baaa:

Mike Poore
11-05-2005, 05:28 PM

I used Tads.
:thinker: Hey! We can use Marty's name! Nobody's gonna mess with him, right?:revenge:

Donny Carlson
11-05-2005, 07:12 PM

I used Tads.
I used Nads.