PDA

View Full Version : Want shaved door handles, but without the hassle?

Donny Carlson
11-06-2005, 09:43 AM
This is a new product just released at SEMA - Magic Touch door handles. You order them in the color of your car (they paint match the OEM's) and they bolt right in the existing door handle opening. They can also be molded in to disappear with a little body work.

http://www.lafranceautoworks.com/

<SCRIPT language=JavaScript><!--var SymRealOnLoad;var SymRealOnUnload;function SymOnUnload(){ window.open = SymWinOpen; if(SymRealOnUnload != null) SymRealOnUnload();}function SymOnLoad(){ if(SymRealOnLoad != null) SymRealOnLoad(); window.open = SymRealWinOpen; SymRealOnUnload = window.onunload; window.onunload = SymOnUnload;}SymRealOnLoad = window.onload;window.onload = SymOnLoad;//--></SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=JavaScript><!--var SymRealOnLoad;var SymRealOnUnload;function SymOnUnload(){ window.open = SymWinOpen; if(SymRealOnUnload != null) SymRealOnUnload();}function SymOnLoad(){ if(SymRealOnLoad != null) SymRealOnLoad(); window.open = SymRealWinOpen; SymRealOnUnload = window.onunload; window.onunload = SymOnUnload;}SymRealOnLoad = window.onload;window.onload = SymOnLoad;//--></SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=JavaScript><!--var SymRealOnLoad;var SymRealOnUnload;function SymOnUnload(){ window.open = SymWinOpen; if(SymRealOnUnload != null) SymRealOnUnload();}function SymOnLoad(){ if(SymRealOnLoad != null) SymRealOnLoad(); window.open = SymRealWinOpen; SymRealOnUnload = window.onunload; window.onunload = SymOnUnload;}SymRealOnLoad = window.onload;window.onload = SymOnLoad;//--></SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=JavaScript><!--var SymRealOnLoad;var SymRealOnUnload;function SymOnUnload(){ window.open = SymWinOpen; if(SymRealOnUnload != null) SymRealOnUnload();}function SymOnLoad(){ if(SymRealOnLoad != null) SymRealOnLoad(); window.open = SymRealWinOpen; SymRealOnUnload = window.onunload; window.onunload = SymOnUnload;}SymRealOnLoad = window.onload;window.onload = SymOnLoad;//--></SCRIPT>

TAF
11-06-2005, 09:47 AM
Those are cool Donny. They were featured on this weeks OVERHAULIN', when Chip did the '05 Magnum (owned by a rather scrumptious, "Aussie or Brit-Mommy"...I might add)

They work like the new C6 Corvettes system...if you have the key fob in your pocket...you just touch the door to open. Of course the C6 also has the push-button start with no key needed as well...

DEFYANT
11-06-2005, 09:49 AM
Nice. I like the shaved look.

fastblackmerc
11-06-2005, 09:51 AM
Me too... door handles also.... I saw the show... they look cool, nothing on their website for Mercs tho....:(

Donny Carlson
11-06-2005, 10:03 AM
Nice. I like the shaved look.

Door handles... yeah...

but other things, I tend to agree with Cheech Wizard http://setiathome2.ssl.berkeley.edu/images/user_profile/3014678.gif

jgc61sr2002
11-06-2005, 10:05 AM
I also agree, the shaved door handles look good.:D

Logan
11-06-2005, 10:09 AM
Yeah, too bad they don't have a single ford kit... :rolleyes:

Donny Carlson
11-06-2005, 10:15 AM
Me too... door handles also.... I saw the show... they look cool, nothing on their website for Mercs tho....:(

Thier website says:

Be the first to have Magic Touch on your model of car! If your car model is not currently available we will make it special for you with an advance order and four to eight weeks lead time.

rocknrod
11-06-2005, 10:24 AM
Their in Plano, TX. Right down the street.

X369
11-06-2005, 10:44 AM
I just washed my car and was thinking how cool it would look with shaved door handles!

Ron

twolow
11-06-2005, 12:55 PM
I just washed my car and was thinking how cool it would look with shaved door handles!

Ron

I just took a shower and was thinking how cool I would look with shaved love handles!

BruteForce
11-06-2005, 01:04 PM
I just took a shower and was thinking how cool I would look with shaved love handles!

too much information :mad:

fastblackmerc
11-06-2005, 01:21 PM
:eek: LALALALALALALALALALALALALALALA LA

twolow
11-06-2005, 01:29 PM
Oh like you guys haven't dabbled in shaving before! :baaa:

fastblackmerc
11-06-2005, 01:31 PM
Face yes... other parts NO!

BruteForce
11-06-2005, 04:20 PM
Face, yeah. Points in a game, maybe. Upper body... not in this lifetime.

Todd
11-15-2005, 03:46 PM
Below is a copy of the email they returned to me from my request for more info.

I for one will NOT be spending almost $1000 per door to be the first.

Any takers?????? lol

Subject: Magic Touch Model Request

Thank you for your interest in Magic Touch products from LaFrance
Autoworks.
The model that you requested is not currently available.

As you know from reading our website, we make replacement handles which
are
precision manufactured to fit each and every car as accurately as
possible.
Therefore there is a time and cost associated with releasing each new
model.
We will be releasing new models monthly, so visit our web site
regularly.

Here are some options to consider:

1) Install a "Glass Sensor", part number 3601-xx-00, initially and wait
until the factory replacement is available. We will replace your glass
sensor when the handle replacement is available for a nominal fee.

2) Facilitate a buy-in of 20 or more vehicles of a specific model and
we
will move that model to the top of the development cycle and it will be
available within 30 to 60 days.

3) Be the first to have Magic Touch on your vehicle by paying a fee of
$995
per door and it will be available in approximately 30 to 60 days.

4) If you plan on painting the car, you can use our "blank", part
number
3602-xx-00 and mold it into any car.

Please have your local installer/dealer contact us to become an
authorized
reseller of the product.

Let us know if you have any more questions and how you would like to
proceed.

Sales
LaFrance Autoworks
sales@lafranceautoworks.com (http://us.f503.mail.yahoo.com/ym/Compose?To=sales@lafranceautow orks.com&YY=42704&order=down&sort=date&pos=0&view=a&head=b)
www.lafranceautoworks.com
888-754-9371 Phone/FAX

MarauderMarc
11-15-2005, 03:53 PM
Oh like you guys haven't dabbled in shaving before! :baaa:

Yup, theres 2 kinds of people....the ones that have done it, and the ones that lie about it!!!

jimlam56
11-15-2005, 04:15 PM
It is amazing to me that you guys can take a perfectly serious discussion and mutate into this!
I love it!!!
Keep it up!!!
Jim:lol:

Donny Carlson
11-15-2005, 11:56 PM
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y226/Lickalotopus/growingtits.gif

And they are good for yah, too!

Donny Carlson
11-16-2005, 12:02 AM
Those are cool Donny. They were featured on this weeks OVERHAULIN', when Chip did the '05 Magnum (owned by a rather scrumptious, "Aussie or Brit-Mommy"...I might add)

They work like the new C6 Corvettes system...if you have the key fob in your pocket...you just touch the door to open. Of course the C6 also has the push-button start with no key needed as well...

Yah, the **** in that episode was especially choice. Loved the accent, and her bringing a bottle of scotch along to the service manager to show her appreciation.

I almost crapped myself when the front clip they needed off a 300c came from "a good customer of ours" that turned out to be 16 years old. I hope his daddy who owned the 300c said it was cool to swap the clip for a Magnum.

The starter system on my SSR is similar to the C6 system... no it doesn't have PKE or push-button start, but you don't have to turn and hold the key to the start position to start the car, just make contact and release. It works like the button, only the switch is rotated instead of pushed. I'll have to show it to you, it's pretty cool.

TripleTransAm
11-16-2005, 12:06 AM
What exactly IS the idea behind push-button starting? Are they trying to reach out to that untapped market of drivers lacking the motor skillz to twist a key?

Seriously, though... what's the big deal?

Donny Carlson
11-16-2005, 12:18 AM
What exactly IS the idea behind push-button starting? Are they trying to reach out to that untapped market of drivers lacking the motor skillz to twist a key?

Seriously, though... what's the big deal?

It's computerised. The keyfob provides secuirty that the key itself once provided, and there's no need to mechanically turn a switch to close contacts, or judge how long to hold the switch closed for starting. The buttion sends the "start" command, everything else is done by the PCM. This has bee available on high end Mercs, BMW's, and Caddies, now in the C6. As I was explaining, my SSR has this system, but not as a button, You insert and turn a key, but only to make a contact. You can release it immediately and the engine will continue to crank and start just as if you held the key on.

TripleTransAm
11-16-2005, 12:41 AM
Got it. Thanks.

Donny Carlson
11-16-2005, 05:30 AM
Got it. Thanks.

Sorry Steve. Your post went right by me. I dig. It must have something to do with taking the startup cycle away from the owner and handing it to the computer for some efficiency/wear and tear (warranty) issue. Plus a coolness factor. Can't think of any other reason, and generally the engineers put it in there for some logical reason else the accountants veto it.

TripleTransAm
11-16-2005, 08:45 AM
I know that during initial LS1 design, a BIG criteria was the speed of startup for emissions reasons. Makes sense, the longer the cranking the more rich fuel mixture being drawn into the cylinders and subsequently expelled until things fire up and the PCM backs down to runnable mixtures. And that's going to pollute...

So maybe PCMs are being obliged to more strongly oversee the whole cranking operation, including "if it doesn't start within 4 seconds, cease and desist" or something like that? If that's the case, I wonder what'll happen as these cars age or perhaps something happens that will require abusive cranking?