PDA

View Full Version : Marauderville IV

Donny Carlson
11-06-2005, 09:53 PM
I see nobody called SSHS-5 Marauderville III.b:)

I like the idea of MV-IV for the Atlanta area, so let me throw out a suggestion to those who may want to run with this.

MV-IV in association with SSHS-6 may be a little late in the season for some of the brethern to attend, though Marauders would certainly probably rule at the event.

Consider the weekend of Fun Ford Weekend at Atlanta Dragway that the next week is The Year 1 Experience. Not only does the Y1 Experience also have drag racing, they have autocross, the ability to parade lap and hot lop Road Atlanta, and a massive car show. PLUS it draws in national press, car shows like Rides film there, lots of car bidness celebrities will be there. Y1 Experience also happens at Atlanta Dragway, as well as the Year One location in Braselton just down the road from Commerce, and Road Atlanta.

The event could start the Friday of FFW, and end the Sunday after Y1 experience, all within 7-8 days of intense car stuff.

This would be the third week of April.

FordNut
11-06-2005, 10:08 PM
I see nobody called SSHS-5 Marauderville III.b:)

I like the idea of MV-IV for the Atlanta area, so let me throw out a suggestion to those who may want to run with this.

MV-IV in association with SSHS-6 may be a little late in the season for some of the brethern to attend, though Marauders would certainly probably rule at the event.

Consider the weekend of Fun Ford Weekend at Atlanta Dragway that the next week is The Year 1 Experience. Not only does the Y1 Experience also have drag racing, they have autocross, the ability to parade lap and hot lop Road Atlanta, and a massive car show. PLUS it draws in national press, car shows like Rides film there, lots of car bidness celebrities will be there. Y1 Experience also happens at Atlanta Dragway, as well as the Year One location in Braselton just down the road from Commerce, and Road Atlanta.

The event could start the Friday of FFW, and end the Sunday after Y1 experience, all within 7-8 days of intense car stuff.

This would be the third week of April.
Only problem is getting enough organizers interested. The full week idea sounds good though, with one weekend of FFW and another weekend of Y1 experience. I had kind of suggested joining up with one or the other in a thread on that other site but the idea of doing both is great. Just need enough interested parties to pull it together. Then again, the SSM group was gonna make some kind of proposal too.

DEFYANT
11-06-2005, 10:33 PM
There seems to be several suggestions regarding the location of MV4 in several threads on three different websites. I suggest PMing one "coordinator" (Logan?) with your suggestion. The coordinator can then post an Official MV4 thread with a poll that everyone can vote on.

Just my .02

DEFYANT
11-06-2005, 10:34 PM
BTW, I happen to like Atlanta for MV4..

hdwrench
11-06-2005, 11:32 PM
There seems to be several suggestions regarding the location of MV4 in several threads on three different websites. I suggest PMing one "coordinator" (Logan?) with your suggestion. The coordinator can then post an Official MV4 thread with a poll that everyone can vote on.

Just my .02

wow there are atleast 3 websites that even know what a MM is?

martyo
11-07-2005, 03:43 AM
I like Donny's ideas but a week may actually be too long. I know I would not be able to swing a whole week. If others also can't make the full week it might spread the crowd out too much.

I do plan on attending FFW in April though.

DEFYANT
11-07-2005, 07:38 AM
A long weekend is good. Thrusday thru Sunday.

MarauderTJA
11-07-2005, 08:27 AM
Atlanta is indeed a great track and location for a MV IV. Easier location for more people to attend. Combining two events would bring more participants.

MI2QWK4U
11-07-2005, 09:45 AM
What any group is going to have to do is put together an itinerary and proposal for Logan to go over. This is what happened for MVIII, it was presented as a nice neat tight package. Dont get ahead of yourself, dont open it for public votes before you have that itinerary set up. And dont wait to get your whole local group together to do it, pick one or two coordinators to get things rolling. Ask Logan what he wants, I did, He laid it out and thats what I did. If anyone wants help setting up MVIV, pm me and I will help out where I can. Its huge, dont think it will be easy either. Then get prepared for members reactions, both good and bad, some will love it, others will pout and take their marbles home. Good luck!

MM03MOK
11-07-2005, 09:50 AM
Good advice, Dave.

the_pack_rat
11-07-2005, 01:08 PM

I fully agree.

1) Some may not be able to get off from work as easy as others, as well as have limited vacation or leave time at their disposal. Only doing this for a long weekend, might help some save up a few vacation days for another long weekend doing something else, such as a more family oriented mini-vacation for those with children. Or whatever your heart desires.

2) Lodging co$t .... an entire week long event will chump up($$$) everyones hotel tab ... which could end up being a deciding factor as to whether or not someone would attend, if they're trying to keep within a certain budget.

FordNut
11-07-2005, 01:54 PM
I fully agree.

1) Some may not be able to get off from work as easy as others, as well as have limited vacation or leave time at their disposal. Only doing this for a long weekend, might help some save up a few vacation days for another long weekend doing something else, such as a more family oriented mini-vacation for those with children. Or whatever your heart desires.

2) Lodging co$t .... an entire week long event will chump up($$$) everyones hotel tab ... which could end up being a deciding factor as to whether or not someone would attend, if they're trying to keep within a certain budget.
I agree with the whole week discussions. But OTOH, if it were to go from FFW Friday until the following YearOne Saturday, it would give folks that could get away one weekend or the other but not both an opportunity to participate. For example, MVIII happened to be on a weekend I couldn't get away but either of the adjacent weekends I would have been able to be there.

I doubt that many would stay for the whole 10 days or so, but if they did the week in between events could be nice for visiting Six Flags or Stone Mountain Park or the Smokey Mountains or one of the many lakes in the area. Or maybe we could get a special session of Drag Racing School at Atlanta Dragway?

All this is just for discussion at this point, I personally don't have a lot of time to devote to organizing an event so unless some of the other members in the 'hood step up we're just wasting bandwidth.

Pat
11-07-2005, 03:08 PM
I like the idea of MM-IV in an Atlanta venue in conjunction with some large auto event. Due to my wife and I being care givers, a Saturday and Sunday is about all we can swing with Friday and Monday being travel days.
It's only a day's journey from Arklatex to Atlanta. Hope it works, or somewhere south of the Mason-Dixon line. These's places will take Confederate money.

MI2QWK4U
11-07-2005, 03:51 PM
All this is just for discussion at this point, I personally don't have a lot of time to devote to organizing an event so unless some of the other members in the 'hood step up we're just wasting bandwidth.

Thats exactly right, whoever steps up should plan on a LOT of time being spent. The problem with a drawn out event is travel time to and from, logistical problems, coordiation, etc. Keep it to 4 days if possible, go over that and folks will have issues with hotel stays.

mpearce
11-07-2005, 04:52 PM

Every day my wife and I work. :D

-Mat

mpearce
11-07-2005, 04:57 PM
If MV4 is in Atlanta, will you have the Drag Race day associated with FFW? I am very familiar with FFW at Norwalk, and it's usually a madhouse. Rediculous amount of cars, lines, waiting, traffic etc. Haven't most MV's had their own private rental? This would be nice, and preferred by most I think. I could be wrong, you never know anymore. I would not be interested in having a drag day associated with FFW. MV is usually our relaxing vacation of the year. FFW isn't usually relaxing IMO.

-Mat

MI2QWK4U
11-07-2005, 05:30 PM
Every day my wife and I work. :D

-Mat

Mat, does Heather know you are married?!?!:eek:

mpearce
11-07-2005, 05:37 PM
Mat, does Heather know you are married?!?!:eek:

Ever since the honeymoon, it's been nothing but making up swap days, and overtime. We both work the same schedule, at the same company, so it's not too bad.

-Mat

FordNut
11-07-2005, 05:42 PM
These's places will take Confederate money.
It's worth more than that other kind down here!

Donny Carlson
11-07-2005, 06:01 PM
Again, it's just an idea. But, consider what Fordnut said --- a Marauderville that's book-ended on the front and back with a major car oriented event. Those that want to attend FFW Atlanta can arrive, run with Marauder buddies and the usual fun of FFW, and if time and budget doesn't allow further, head on back home. Those who would prefer to run autocross, or be in the Year 1 auto show, or run hotlaps around Road Atlanta, or run in the drags associated with Year 1 can come up that weekend, see their marauder buddies, etc. Those that can take off the entire period can do it all. It's a unique alignment of two events, especially the Year 1 event which draws a lot of media attention.

The alternative, which is to have the weekend of SSHS is fine as well, assuming GASSIT puts on SSHS-6. Test and tune is sponsored by Year 1 on Friday night, and the more the merrier on Saturday. With 80 or so Marauders, they would dominate the event. And it's a lot less hectic, more runs, etc, at SSHS.

The main problem with either is there is no existing organization like the MCM (and ringmaster a la Dave P) to take on the chore of setting up a proposal, then shepherding it through. Toddster is real busy with his business, I dunno who else would step and take the job.

MI2QWK4U
11-07-2005, 06:44 PM
Donny,
Something to consider when selecting events for Marauderville. If at all possible, try to come up with events that manage themselves, preferably run by someone else! For example, the dyno day at Lidios, we just told Lid how many people and he took it from there, my responsibility, just getting people there. I mean everything wont be that easy, but you can make it easier on yourselves.
It is imperitive to come up with a home rum of an itinerary, from start to finish. That is what pretty much sold Logan on the fact that we were organized enough to pull it off.

This is what I came up with as the the original offering:

Would the Membership be interested in this Event? Possibly as MVIII...

The Motor City Marauders had a very productive meeting today. We are in the process of solidifying plans for a HUGE event here in the Motor City, and would like to invite all to attend. I have discussed this idea with Steve Babcock at great length the last couple of months since our Event at Woodward this year. From the start, Steve has made it clear that he both wanted and supported the plan to host a National Marauder Meet in the Motor City, and felt the publicity would do the Marauder cause a world of good to deliver such an event here in Detroit, and make the Ford/Mercury folks take note. We got their attention last year with the 25+ Marauders we had on Woodward, media coverage by radio and television as well. Please read this carefully and objectively before passing judgement and voting.
Here is what we are planning:

Wednesday, August 17, 2005.
Marauder Dyno Day at Alternative Auto hosted by Lidio. This would include Dyno runs, Dyno tuning, and possibly minor Marauder mods set up in advance. This dyno day resulted in great results and the desire to hold at least two Marauder Dyno Days a year. Here is some info on what we did this year.

Thursday, August 18, 2005.
We rent the 1/4 mile track at Milan Michigan for some test and tune, and do some Marauder only Bracket Racing. This would be very simular to what was done in Indy at MVII this year. Cost will be nominal, and may be picked up by sponsors.

Friday, August 19, 2005.
Ned Nuss expressed the desire to host Marauders at the Ford Proving Ground again this year. This included some tours, rides with Ford Test drivers on the test track, displays of Ford cars, included the 05 Mustang, Ford GT, supercharged Lap of America Lincoln LS, etc. This year they also offered tours of the new Rouge factory. This was one of the highest rated events the Motor City Marauders hosted this summer. Check out the links for info:

Saturday, August 20, 2005.
This is the big event, the big day, the Woodward Dream Cruise. I really cant say more about it than that. You either understand what its all about, the BIGGEST one day car event in the WORLD. And you will have a front row seat for you and your Marauder. We will own a restraunt's entire parking lot, and it will be ours alone, no squatters. You will be able to come and go cruising whenever you like and not loose your spot. We are trying to get Mercury or Ford to sponsor here to help out. This is where Steve Babcock says sheer numbers of people attending will help in that area. I have arranged in advance more television coverage, including the possiblity of one of the local stations broadcasting live from our display!

Sunday, August 21, 2005.
The possibility of having a nice breakfast in the morning is easy to put together if there is interest. But I have been working on hooking up with the Michigan Chapter of the Shelby American Club (SAAC), and the Motor City Terminators (Mustang Cobra Club), and doing the open track Sessions at Michigan International Speedway again on this day. This is only in the planning stages and depends on interest.

This is the tentative events lineup for the Week of the 2005 Woodward Dream Cruise, Steve Babcock thinks this is a great idea and has thrown his support behind it. I met with him a while ago and he thought this would make for a great Marauder Event for the Detroit area.

And eventually became the final product:

Wednesday, August 17, 2005.

-9:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m.
Dyno Tune Day at Alternative Auto

-5:30 p.m. until 7:30 p.m.
Dinner at Caper's, The Motor City Marauders Favorite Steak Place!

-All evening.
Cruising Woodward-THERE WILL BE A LOT TO SEE, EVEN ON WEDNESDAY!....

Thursday, August 18, 2005.

Times are being worked out, choice of:

-Rouge Factory Tour

-Greenfield Village/Henry Ford Museum

-All Evening
Cruising Woodward-IT WILL BE HEATING UP ON WOODWARD....

Friday, August 19, 2005.

-9:00 a.m. until 2:00 p.m.
Marauder Track Day at Milan Dragway.

-3:00 p.m. until 5:00 p.m.
Car Washing/Detailing Service Available at Host Hotel.

-All Evening
Cruising Woodward-IT WILL BE PACKED...

Saturday, August 20, 2005.

The big event...Woodward Dream Cruise.
From Dawn till Dusk, all day long.

Sunday, August 21, 2005.

-9:00 a.m. Breakfast, Raffle Drawing & Goodbye's (Location to be chosen, most likely Host Hotel).

johnfain
11-07-2005, 07:08 PM
Only problem is getting enough organizers interested. The full week idea sounds good though, with one weekend of FFW and another weekend of Y1 experience. I had kind of suggested joining up with one or the other in a thread on that other site but the idea of doing both is great. Just need enough interested parties to pull it together. Then again, the SSM group was gonna make some kind of proposal too.

I have already inquired for a Sunday Track Rental at ATL Dragway. Anyone interested in helping me prepare the proposal for LOGAN please PM me. I have talked with the ATL Dragway people and priced it out, and am also trying to get info from PANOZ racing school for the cost and details of renting Atlanta Roadway for an afternoon HOT LAP session. It would be nice to try and run it in conjunction with YEAR ONE. I think with some luck, persuasion and a little good old graft I may have a chance of getting the Year One guys to let us time it with the YEAR ONE CUP. Although we could always try to go in with GASSIT on a different weekend.

I would like to propose an 8 hour day rental of ATL DRAGWAY on a Sunday and on the Saturday a three hour HOT LAP session at ROAD ATLANTA with PANOZ, this would totally maximize track time for us and GASSIT across the weekend but could not be done coinciding with YEAR ONE CUP. The alternative is to do it in timing with YEAR ONE CUP but track time would be minimized although we probably could book the afternoon HOT LAP session on Sunday (Y1 always does two HOT LAPS Session on the Sunday of the Cup) for ourselves. As for the drag racing it would be non exclusive just mixed in with the other Y1 participants, although it would be taking a chance we might be able to get 2nd booking on ATL Dragway that same Sunday if there is no rain day.

PM if you are serious about helping. I would like to have a formal proposal ready by the end of December including Funding, Location, Dates, Corporate Organization, Financial Plan and Budget Narrative and Assumptions, Schedule of Events, etc…

woaface
11-07-2005, 08:15 PM
I'd like to chime in on that too, can we please have an MV somewhere down south?

BK_GrandMarquis
11-07-2005, 08:34 PM
A chance to run at Road Atlanta would be real nice. I'd come down for that. :banana2: :burnout:

johnfain
11-08-2005, 06:55 PM
A chance to run at Road Atlanta would be real nice. I'd come down for that. :banana2: :burnout:

I ran Road Atlanta in April this year, about 35 laps or so. Absolutely :banana: :banana: :banana:

That is why I want to get it down here we can do autocross and drag racing. :burnout: