PDA

View Full Version : mouse control in stored cars

Geo
11-08-2005, 09:53 PM
I am planning on throwing fleece/bounce clothers dryer sheets in some old cars that I have in storage. I don't want any mice in the interiors or trunk/hood. I heard this stuff works. I may put mothballs in the trunk and hood as well. I don't want the mothballs in the interior as that stuff can be cancerous to breathe in the future. I may even put some decicant in the cabin as well.

There are many chemicals out there on the market I know but I also want to keep the costs down.

fastblackmerc
11-08-2005, 09:54 PM
I've heard that the bounce dry sheets work well.

PhastPhil
11-08-2005, 10:04 PM
I have used bars of Irish Spring soap with success. I cut the bars in half and put one in the floor in the front seat and one on the floor in the back seat, one in the trunk and one under the hood. The garage where I store my car has mice for sure as other cars there have been homes to several.

dwasson
11-08-2005, 11:23 PM
Where are you parking the car? Outside or in the garage? If it is in the garage get a CarCapsule. I love mine and it keeps the critters out, keeps the battery charged and there no musty smell.

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=20 72&d=1073310040

Badger
11-09-2005, 04:03 AM
I need one of those CarCapules for next Halloween! :D

Mike Poore
11-09-2005, 05:43 AM
I've heard that the bounce dry sheets work well.

Never heard about that; hope it works.:)

ckadiddle
11-09-2005, 06:55 AM
I don't know if you'd mind the smell or not, but I use "toilet cakes" from the dollar store to keep critters out of my ceiling crawlspace. You know, the thingies you usually use to make your turlet have pretty colored water and smell fresh and clean. Cheap and effective, not as smelly as mothballs.

Mike Poore
11-09-2005, 07:43 AM
I don't know if you'd mind the smell or not, ...your turlet have pretty colored water and smell fresh and clean. Cheap and effective, not as smelly as mothballs.

Ah, yes! Just what every MM owner wants ....a car that smells like the men's room at the Trailways bus depot.
:laugh:

I think I'll go with the dryer sheets.;)

Dragcity
11-09-2005, 07:51 AM
Irish Spring Works

SteveS
11-09-2005, 08:21 AM
I've heard good things about the dryer sheets. I didn't know if there was a particular brand or not.

Dessicant is probably a good idea, too.

We're storing seven box Vics this winter, and one of the buildings is questionable, at best. I hope the sheets work. I'm NOT using the toilet things, and I thought mice liked soap - is it just Irish Spring that works?.

gpfarrell
11-09-2005, 08:54 AM
We've used shredded Irish Spring to keep deer away from our plants... it does seem to work on those big rodents... never tried it on mice.

I go with Decon... usually outside the car. In theory it dehydrates the little critters so, in search of water, they go outside to die. Been doing it for probably 10 years now and never found a dead one in the car yet.

I also religously disconnect the battery. If mice chew threw live wires you'll end up grilling everything, and I'm usually not around the garage to put the fire out.

Disconnect the battery and I think your slim chances of a fire go to Zero.

hitchhiker
11-09-2005, 09:18 AM
Ah, yes! Just what every MM owner wants ....a car that smells like the men's room at the Trailways bus depot.
:laugh:

I think I'll go with the dryer sheets.;)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

MENINBLK
11-09-2005, 09:34 AM
I am planning on throwing fleece/bounce clothers dryer sheets in some old cars that I have in storage. I don't want any mice in the interiors or trunk/hood. I heard this stuff works. I may put mothballs in the trunk and hood as well. I don't want the mothballs in the interior as that stuff can be cancerous to breathe in the future. I may even put some decicant in the cabin as well.

There are many chemicals out there on the market I know but I also want to keep the costs down.

Moth balls are useless.
The mice will actually carry them out of the car and deposit them elsewhere.

Geo
11-09-2005, 11:37 AM
Meninblk: I suppose they could carry them out, they are little balls and easy to put in the mouth.

dwasson: They are outside.

gpfarrell: What's that decon... you mention? I've heard of this method before but I could never figure out who makes it or what it is called.

CBT
11-09-2005, 12:01 PM
Throw a couple cats in there. What?

gpfarrell
11-10-2005, 09:23 AM
gpfarrell: What's that decon... you mention? I've heard of this method before but I could never figure out who makes it or what it is called.

Decon? Usually in bright yellow package... other companies make a similar product... I think it all works the same, but I've never conducted a taste test!

Go to a Home Depot / Lowes and look for traditional mouse traps. Once you find them, take a giant step backwards and look around. Decon usually comes in a 6-pack i think; each pack is about the size of a deck of cards. Leave an open pack wherever the mice might be (but keep it away from kiddies and dogs!) and you're done until they eat it all and you need more.

Its often next to rat poison.

MarauderMarc
11-10-2005, 11:07 AM
I don't know if you'd mind the smell or not, but I use "toilet cakes" from the dollar store to keep critters out of my ceiling crawlspace. You know, the thingies you usually use to make your turlet have pretty colored water and smell fresh and clean. Cheap and effective, not as smelly as mothballs.

I believe they are called "2000 parkings", they are located in your local auto shops detailing section. Coming in 2006, Wal Mart wil have them for 3% the price!!!!!

Mike Poore
11-10-2005, 11:33 AM
Moth balls are useless.
The mice will actually carry them out of the car and deposit them elsewhere.

Never mind they're almost impossible to extract from the moth. :rofl:

fastblackmerc
11-10-2005, 12:25 PM
I may regret this but here goes......

You can also try mixing peanut butter and --- don't laugh ----- cement. Mice like the peanut butter but the cement makes them ------ no laughing again ----- hard. OK, get your minds out of the gutter....

Mad1
11-10-2005, 12:37 PM
You can also try mixing peanut butter and --- don't laugh ----- cement.

Does this make little mouse statues or just leave rock-hard mouse droppings?

fastblackmerc
11-10-2005, 01:01 PM
Does this make little mouse statues or just leave rock-hard mouse droppings?
rock-hard dropping until the mouse turns in to a little statue.

dwasson
11-10-2005, 05:16 PM
Never mind they're almost impossible to extract from the moth. :rofl:

It just takes a magnifying glass and tweezers.

dwasson
11-10-2005, 05:18 PM

I think the generic name for it is Mouse or Rat bait.

DeepSea117
11-10-2005, 07:11 PM
Throw a couple cats in there. What?

hahahahaha

PhastPhil
11-10-2005, 11:53 PM
Dan mentioned the car capsule. The one in his pic is the indoor version. I have the outdoor version. It is not clear like the indoor one.
I can vouch for these capsules because I have the longest continually running capsule in existence, running nonstop since 1987. It protects your car better than a heated garage !!! I wii be buying a new one in the near future.

Ross
11-11-2005, 08:43 AM
Threads like this make me soooo glad that I live in a place where I don't have to store a car for the winter!

Geo
11-13-2005, 07:07 PM
PhastPhill: Are the outside ones easy to find?

I'll be looking out for those Decon and 2000 Parkings

PhastPhil
11-13-2005, 07:59 PM
You can buy one from California Car Cover. But I met a guy at the Hershey swap meet who sells them a little cheaper. He is really into these things. He knows alot of the history behind them and has lots of the original paperwork from when they first were sold to the public. He is from Fla. You can call him at Jim's Car & Bike Capsules toll free 1 877 227-8957.
They come in diiferent sizes from 8'x32" up to 22'x90"x80" and can be custom order to any size for maybe a motor home or a helicopter!

My friend's father invented the capsule which he named the Enclos-a-car, that is how I've come to have the oldest continually running unit. My friend and his parents built and sewed the thing in their living room because there wasn't enough room in the garage or basement.