PDA

View Full Version : First Hands On Look at a Solstice

Donny Carlson
11-16-2005, 12:13 AM
I had my beast over at my perferred dealer for some warranty items, and when they opened up this morning sitting on the service drive was a red Solstice with Michigan MFG plates. There for service, my guess, it had a tag in the window. The Pontiac/Nissan house is a couple blocks up the road, so I guess they preferred to get the little roadster worked on here than the place with all the japanese iron sitting out front.

http://photos1.blogger.com/img/16/3930/640/2006-Pontiac-Solstice-Prom.jpg

It's small, but looks like a lot of fun to drive. Fit and finish was excellent. I wish my SSR had as good a paint job. I read the demand is so high a third shift is starting at the assembly plant.

RoyLPita
11-16-2005, 04:50 AM
I was at my local dealer last friday and they had a black one on the showroom floor. It looked nice.

Mike Poore
11-16-2005, 07:44 AM
It's small, but looks like a lot of fun to drive. Fit and finish was excellent. I wish my SSR had as good a paint job. I read the demand is so high a third shift is starting at the assembly plant.

We got our first look at 'em at MMVlll in Detroit last August. I must admit to being Blue through & through, but that Solstice is a sweet little car, and after reading the comparisons in the various auto mags, would choose it over the Miata, or the Z4, for that matter. Perhaps that little cutie will start the road to recovery that saves GM's a$$. :)

CRUZTAKER
11-16-2005, 08:00 AM
Phew.

I had good feelings when I first saw them as well. I felt guilty.:D

If I were still 20 and single...who knows.

I like 'em.

dwasson
11-16-2005, 10:00 AM
When the supercharged models come out it will be even more attractive.

Mike Poore
11-16-2005, 02:26 PM
When the supercharged models come out it will be even more attractive.

:eek: Did you say supercharged?

But, Dan, how the hell are you and I ever gonna get in one of 'em, never mind getting back out. ;)

dwasson
11-16-2005, 06:38 PM
But, Dan, how the hell are you and I ever gonna get in one of 'em, never mind getting back out. ;)

I've been giving this some thought. I figure that we place a spring catapult sorta thing on the seat and grease up and slide in.

Mike Poore
11-17-2005, 04:42 AM
I've been giving this some thought. I figure that we place a spring catapult sorta thing on the seat and grease up and slide in.

James Bond had one of those in the passenger seat of his Aston Martin.

Um, is it OK if I drive? Darryl can take pictures of us going down Woodward Ave, and capture the "event".:eek:

ADE 1000
11-17-2005, 06:00 AM
I drove one last month. The chassis/steering/shifter was excellent, the Solistice compares favorably to the new Miata (and looks better). For the price, its a hell of a package. The Saturn Sky looks even nicer, the interior is especially well done.

Little 4cyl roadsters are not my cup of tea, but I enjoyed driving it. Should GM decide to drop an LS2 under the hood, I could be swayed.

dwasson
11-17-2005, 08:15 AM
The Saturn Sky looks even nicer

Except Saturns are girlie cars.