PDA

View Full Version : ? about T-birds

Dark_Knight7096
11-17-2005, 07:14 PM
Well, i'm preparing for the worst, that my Marauder will be a total loss. If this is the case i need to find a way to procure another car ASAP. My sister has 2 cars so i will probably be able to borrow one of hers for a short time but I'm stating to look now. I have always been interested in T-birds and now that my Marauder might be totalled out, but since all the mechanical parts are in good working shape, it's got me thinking. What would be involved in transplanting the heart and soul of the Marauder into an 89-97 Thunderbird? Like since i have all the electronics and everything would it be a pretty simple swap, or would it be really long and involved and way too much for me and a few people with formal mechanic trainnig to undertake. Would it require a lot of custom fabrication or what guys? Any input would be greatly apprecaited. I'm just tryin to turn a frown upside down here.

Blackened300a
11-17-2005, 07:36 PM
They fit the Intech into the Mustang without a prob, Im sure you can fit it into a T-bird without a prob either. You'll need the entire harness and it may be plug and play. I dont think there would be a mount difference since the 4.6L SOHC was placed in the t-bird. Unless you are making a 3.8L or Super Coupe transplant then it may get complicated.
If you are looking for a Super Coupe Body, with the independant rear Suspension. I have a Friend that is very into T-birds and he has a 94 thats very clean with a blown tranny hes trying to get rid of pretty cheap

DEFYANT
11-17-2005, 07:41 PM
Why not find a MM with a bad heart and do a transplant?

Marauderman
11-17-2005, 07:47 PM
I am sure of one thing-- cause I did it and they both have the same rear...8.8--The stock rear gears, 3:55's will fit in the '97 Bird----I put the stock MM gears (355) in my wifes which came out of my MM when I upgraded--and plan on doing it again to 410 again--it's cheaper than a S/C'er for her Bird--

Mike Poore
11-17-2005, 08:00 PM
Ours was a '93 Tbird 5.0. They had a hood clearance problem, and needed to re-design the intake to fit, but there seems to be enough room for just about anything you'd want to do. (hood scoop anyone):D

I thought it was a terrific car, with a ***** box for a transmission.;)

RR|Suki
11-17-2005, 08:19 PM
I have a 96 cougar (same as T-Bird if you didn't know) and had a fresh motor put in in 2001... and unless the bolt up is that different between the 2v and the 4v it should work fine

Dark_Knight7096
11-17-2005, 08:26 PM
Sweet guys, thanks. I'm doing a little more research and this seems more than feasable for a pretty cheap price. Best part is, my sisters boyfriend is a ford tech at our local dealership so as soon as i get in touch with him we'll see what's goin on. I've already worked out a name, if it works, and everything is good, then i'll even get the custom badges made up: THUNDERAUDER

Could work. You guys have not seen the last of me, the Dark Knight shall be back, in one incarnation or another.

FordNut
11-17-2005, 09:16 PM
Another option is a Mark VIII. They came with the 4.6 DOHC 32v engine so if you could find one with a bad engine there ya go, an perfect home for a late model engine.

Rider90
11-17-2005, 09:37 PM
Another option is a Mark VIII. They came with the 4.6 DOHC 32v engine so if you could find one with a bad engine there ya go, an perfect home for a late model engine.
Very Comfortable Car ^^^^^

Bigdogjim
11-17-2005, 10:37 PM
Martin: Before you sign off on the Marauder call me. Please!

I smell a easy re-build:)

I have friends that love stuff like this to re-build!

Dark_Knight7096
11-17-2005, 11:17 PM
Don't worry Jim, I most definately will give you a call before I let the car buy the farm.

Mike Poore
11-18-2005, 05:32 AM

Hey! If it fits in a Mark, then it'll fit in a T-Bird.
THUNDERAUDER ...what a concept! :woohoo:

MarauderMark
11-18-2005, 05:59 AM
Perfect idea!!!There was one ebay the just sold for a little under $500.00

RoyLPita
11-18-2005, 08:03 AM
I have a thought, get your check and buy back your damaged MM. Then, go find a high mileage one cheap (I saw a few available in the Auto Trader) and use whatever parts you need off of #1 to keep #2 running.

jerrym3
11-18-2005, 08:15 AM
I agree with an earlier post. My 94 4.6 LX is a great car with a junk trans and bad rotors. Just about everyone I knew with a mid 90's 4.6 had trans problems, and that includes the airport car services (Towncars) that I used a lot when traveling. The 3-4 gear shudder was the big issue.

My Bird now has 126,000 miles, looks great inside and out (black/tan interior-rebuilt trans), has one of the nicest dashes that Ford ever designed, and rides just fine.

Since I'm planning to sell the car in March 2007 (my retirement date, and I've got too many cars (58 bird, 64 Galaxie, 2003 Bird, and a 2004 Lincoln LS), I have a set of 16" TSW Imola wheels that are in my garage gathering dust. (I do not plan to buy another set of 16" tires for the 94 Bird. I'm running Firestone 15" all weather, raised white letter, and they look and ride great.)

If anyone with a TBird or Cougar is interested, post here and I will send you a picture of the car with the wheels on (last summer).

PS: while I like the Mark, I favor the style of the Bird, 1994 and up.

fast Ed
11-18-2005, 12:44 PM
If you start with a 94 - 97 4.6L SOHC T-Bird, the swap can be done fairly easily. Many people have done a DOHC 4.6 swap into those cars. The Lincoln Mark VIII with the 4.6 is a similar platform to the T-Bird.

Check out the forums at www.tccoa.com (http://www.tccoa.com) for more info. If you sift through the multitude of posts, you should be able to find some valid info.

cheers
Ed N.

theredlineboss
11-18-2005, 05:17 PM
TCCOA.com is an awesome board! There are several people on there who've transplanted 32V's into their cougar/thunderbirds. I'd suggest sticking with a 96-97 'bird, as they are OBD-II (the 95's may be, but I'm not sure...)
Oh, if you decide to part out the car in the near future, I want the floor shifter! :rolleyes:

Rob

Big House
11-19-2005, 01:07 PM
Some 94's were OBD-II as mines was. May she rest in Peace after being left in pieces. I agree, TOCCA.com is the best site for that info. A number of guys have done it, but it is not the easiest swap to do. Electronics is the most dofficult, but the blocks are the same.

WTBBLKMAR
11-21-2005, 11:47 PM
mines for sale, and the faster i sell it hte faster i get into a marauder :D