PDA

View Full Version : S55 Tail Light Treatment

Hotrauder
11-21-2005, 11:04 AM
I know that there are posts and pics on this subject up the wazoo having been researching this for the past 45 minutes however I did not find a definative answer to the the Body shop reply..."because of the components in the paint (DTR but the way) it would eat through the plastic lenses."

Other members have been told this, however; many other members have had the painting done without a problem. I suspect that there is no problem other than in the mind of the paint guy. Because he is uncomfortable with the project I will go to another body shop of course. Has anyone had a problem? Do the body shops that have done this treatment used different paint compounds than they would use on the car body? Any SSM had this mod done in Florida? Any response would be appreciated. Thanks Dennis

DEFYANT
11-21-2005, 11:32 AM
I sent you the body shop info that did my taillights. Check ur PMs.

DEFYANT
11-21-2005, 11:35 AM
My details on my tail lights. (http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=16277&highlight=silver+shades)

Hotrauder
11-21-2005, 11:42 AM
I sent you the body shop info that did my taillights. Check ur PMs.

That is exactly what I had hoped for. Thanks, Charlie. Dennis:beer:

duhtroll
11-21-2005, 12:25 PM
Do it yourself. Hell, I did it and it was the first time I did anything even remotely car-related. Mine turned out perfectly. If you take the time to mask very well and use several thin coats it will turn out just fine.

I did mine with Nite Shades because I wanted it to be translucent, but it could just as easily be done with paint. It cost me a few bucks for the can of NS, and about 8 hours (well, a couple hours to mask and then 5 minutes every 2 hours to spray on another coat) from start to finish. It has been very durable and looks factory.

-A

Mike Poore
11-21-2005, 01:24 PM
That is exactly what I had hoped for. Thanks, Charlie. Dennis:beer:

I'll attest to the way cool paint job, and look on Charlies tail lights. Go for it, Dennis, you won't be dissapointed. :up:

fastblackmerc
11-21-2005, 01:59 PM
Don't know about DTR paint, but the black I used on mine (Duplicolor) worked fine, Even clearcoated them.

Blackened300a
11-21-2005, 03:35 PM
DTR is going to be a harder job to color match. Dont let the body shops lie to you. I used a acrylic primer and paint, Then used a regular clearcoat on my tailights about 6 months ago and it hasnt chipped or peeled off.

fastblackmerc
11-21-2005, 04:15 PM
DTR is going to be a harder job to color match. Dont let the body shops lie to you. I used a acrylic primer and paint, Then used a regular clearcoat on my tailights about 6 months ago and it hasnt chipped or peeled off.
Blackened300a, any reason why you didn't do the reverse lights also? Just wonderin'.....

Blackened300a
11-21-2005, 05:10 PM
Blackened300a, any reason why you didn't do the reverse lights also? Just wonderin'.....

Ran out of paint and just doing the tail lights took me most of the afternoon so I planned to finish the reverse lights at a later date.

Just waiting for that later date to come!

DEFYANT
11-21-2005, 07:24 PM
Blackend300A did a nice job. I saw his car. You can do it yourself. I might have, but Silver Birch was not available to me in a can at the time and I had to have the spoiler done anyway.

Oh, and the cost was very reasonable to have the body shop do it. I removed the pieces from the car and brought them to the shop with a photo choped pic of what I wanted done.

Gre8one7
11-21-2005, 11:30 PM
This is a mod i am planning on doing soon i hope. Thanks for the nice guide defyant! :)

DEFYANT
11-22-2005, 07:22 PM
This is a mod i am planning on doing soon i hope. Thanks for the nice guide defyant! :)

You got it! Any questions, dont hesitate to ask. :)

spub
11-23-2005, 07:46 AM
I know that there are posts and pics on this subject up the wazoo having been researching this for the past 45 minutes however I did not find a definative answer to the the Body shop reply..."because of the components in the paint (DTR but the way) it would eat through the plastic lenses."

Other members have been told this, however; many other members have had the painting done without a problem. I suspect that there is no problem other than in the mind of the paint guy. Because he is uncomfortable with the project I will go to another body shop of course. Has anyone had a problem? Do the body shops that have done this treatment used different paint compounds than they would use on the car body? Any SSM had this mod done in Florida? Any response would be appreciated. Thanks Dennis

This is what mine looks like in DTR. I had it done at the dealer body shop. Was really pleased with the result.

Kirt

DEFYANT
11-23-2005, 07:51 AM
This is what mine looks like in DTR. I had it done at the dealer body shop. Was really pleased with the result.

Kirt

Very nice job (again) :D

fastblackmerc
11-23-2005, 08:13 AM

Kirt
Very nice! :banana2: :banana2:

Hotrauder
12-02-2005, 07:07 PM
The job is done. Looks exactly like yours, Spub. GREAT. Thanks for the pics. Took them to the paint shop for a guide. Charlie, thank for your advice. Got the job done for $100. While they were out I used your how to post to add the additional lights to the lower 2 chambers and replaced the back up lights with halogens. Thanks guys. Charlie, what is next, got another idea for a project? Appreciate it. Dennis:beer: Beers on me, guys.

Marauder2005
12-02-2005, 07:15 PM
WOW I really like who that looks on the DTR MM. Nice

mod :beer:

DEFYANT
12-02-2005, 07:27 PM
The job is done. Looks exactly like yours, Spub. GREAT. Thanks for the pics. Took them to the paint shop for a guide. Charlie, thank for your advice. Got the job done for $100. While they were out I used your how to post to add the additional lights to the lower 2 chambers and replaced the back up lights with halogens. Thanks guys. Charlie, what is next, got another idea for a project? Appreciate it. Dennis:beer: Beers on me, guys.

Dennis, I am glad the job went well for you. Lets see some pics of your car.

The only other "mod" I 've come up with was the "Lower Grill Mod (http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=22198&highlight=lower)" that some Cobra Mustangs have.

Hotrauder
12-02-2005, 07:32 PM
Charlie, Did that one the day after your post on it. thanks. Dennis. Your ideas are great and the pics and directions make the mods easy even for a 10 thumb kind of geezer like me. :beer:

djv5150
12-02-2005, 08:00 PM
Dennis, I am glad the job went well for you. Lets see some pics of your car.

The only other "mod" I 've come up with was the "Lower Grill Mod (http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=22198&highlight=lower)" that some Cobra Mustangs have.
Dennis, You have done alot to that bad boy ,lets see the pics.
I can't wait till the next meet.
David

Hotrauder
12-02-2005, 08:11 PM
David, I have seen several post by Mary on how to upload pics but most of this computer stuff is beyond me. I guess I should do the work to figure it out one of these rainy days. Hope to see you soon. Dennis

Ambitious1
08-28-2019, 07:51 AM
I know this is an older thread. I have the S55 treatment on my tail lights, however only two of the three strips illuminate. I know there is a thread somewhere that I can make it so all three tail light strips illuminate. I believe it involves adding two additional bulbs to the bottom of the tail light. Can anyone direct me to the thread or let me know the procedure? Thank you in advance.

fastblackmerc
08-29-2019, 08:45 AM
See my post in your thread.

the fat bastid
08-29-2019, 09:31 AM
Since we are necro bumping, anyone have these? https://www.amazon.com/Xtune-ALT-JH-FCV98-OE-RSM-Victoria-1999-2011-Style-Red/dp/B017XNE2GO . Was thinking of getting a pair, S55 them, then putting in some LEDS to brighten them back up.

Chi Stallion
08-29-2019, 02:55 PM
I have the full S-55 treatment which I see alota ppl half ass it and just do the taillights. I put v-leds red leds in my taillights total of 4 with the full s55 tail light treatment. Never had a problem. Also the reverse lights have the vleds 5k reverse lights and wow is it bright. Il try to get a picture of day and night.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190829/3dce3e7bcbc45e5f7e5edd4ae1c7df 0e.jpg

fastblackmerc
08-30-2019, 07:55 AM
I did the same thing - full treatment - added 4 more lights, 2 per side and installed 15W HIDs in the reverse lights.

Ambitious1
08-30-2019, 11:11 AM
I know many people use Duplicolor when painting the tail lights and reverse lights. What does everyone use for Clearcoat when doing the S55 Treatment?

gdmjoe
08-30-2019, 12:02 PM
Ambitious1 - I know many people use Duplicolor when painting the tail lights and reverse lights. What does everyone use for Clearcoat when doing the S55 Treatment?
Dupli •Color also has a clear coat (albeit for wheels) *Used it when I did mine (14 years ago).

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/ICIAAOSwlelb2~qy/s-l300.jpg
*HWP103

Ambitious1
08-30-2019, 12:28 PM
Dupli •Color also has a clear coat (albeit for wheels) *Used it when I did mine (14 years ago).

*HWP103

Thank you! I am re-doing the S55 treatment on my rear fascia and tail lights. What product did you use for the paint?

Ambitious1
08-30-2019, 12:29 PM

*HWP103

Thank you! I am re-doing the S55 treatment on my rear fascia and tail lights. What product did you use to match the actual Ford UA black paint color?

gdmjoe
08-30-2019, 01:03 PM
Ambitious1 ... What product did you use to match the actual Ford UA black paint color?
I didn't match the paint. Opted to VHT Nite-Shade the entire taillights.

Since the Crown victoria taillights are not tinted ... 2 coats were applied and allowed to dry, the indented sections were then masked-off, and several coats were applied until the desired darkness was obtained on the remaining areas. The taillights were then wet-sanded and the clear-coat applied.

The effect is that the taillights are a RUBY RED with the indented sections lighter than the rest.

EDIT:*.attachment

Mr. Man
08-31-2019, 11:44 AM
I have the full S-55 treatment which I see alota ppl half ass it and just do the taillights. I put v-leds red leds in my taillights total of 4 with the full s55 tail light treatment. Never had a problem. Also the reverse lights have the vleds 5k reverse lights and wow is it bright. Il try to get a picture of day and night.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190829/3dce3e7bcbc45e5f7e5edd4ae1c7df 0e.jpg
That looks great. :up: Another project I waffle on about. :(