PDA

View Full Version : Attention MARTYO! I found a hood maker for you!

Donny Carlson
11-23-2005, 08:15 PM
This place specializes in one-offs and custom parts, including hoods. They also do carbon fiber stuff.

(They are making chin spoilers for the SSR, a new item for them)

http://www.3gservicesinc.com/services.html

Your cowl induction hood is getting closer, my friend!!

martyo
11-23-2005, 08:28 PM
Once again, the man comes through!

I will be getting with them shortly.

Donny Carlson
11-24-2005, 12:43 PM
Once again, the man comes through!

I will be getting with them shortly.

They look to be good people. Their design for the SSR chin spoiler looks good, and functionally scoops up air into the engine compartment, something needed on SSR's that need all the cool air they can get for the LS2.

Here are shots of their first production Carbon Fiber chin spoiler on an owner's red SSR:

http://www.ssrfanatic.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=73 05
http://www.ssrfanatic.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=73 09

http://www.ssrfanatic.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=73 08

merc6
11-24-2005, 12:47 PM
has anyone made a bigger airdam for us?

glassman99
11-24-2005, 01:04 PM
Marty, what are you thinking of with the hood? Hot air extraction vents? Or just something lighter?

Donny Carlson
11-24-2005, 01:06 PM
has anyone made a bigger airdam for us?

3G Services could do it as well. Marty, have you thought about a chin spoiler on Legal Knevil to scoop up air to blow over the oil pans and tranny pan?

ALSO, those of you with the floppy rear facias -- these guys could make a custom cover for the entire underside of the rear section that would make it a seamless exit out to the reat with no chance of air getting trapped. Think about that.

Donny Carlson
11-24-2005, 01:14 PM
The made the carbon fiber panels for the ASC Diamondback SSR that was featured on rides earilier this year

http://www.motorcities.com/media/image/640/05C24121030449C/2004-Chevrolet-SSR-ASC-Diamondback-C.jpeg (http://www.motorcities.com/photo/view.php/05C24121030449C.jpeg/1/)

http://www.motorcities.com/media/image/640/05C24121030449D/2004-Chevrolet-SSR-ASC-Diamondback-D.jpeg (http://www.motorcities.com/photo/view.php/05C24121030449D.jpeg/1/)

Everything you see here that's dark grey is carbon fiber.

They made the carbon fiber panels for the ASC GTO Stinger -

http://www.motordesktop.com/wallpaper/sportscars/Pontiac%20GTO%20ASC%20Stinger% 20-%201024x768.jpg

martyo
11-24-2005, 01:28 PM
Marty, have you thought about a chin spoiler on Legal Knevil to scoop up air to blow over the oil pans and tranny pan?

LK is so low that we would wipe a chin spoiler off of it loading and unloading it on the trailer and driving it as well. Hell, we have beat the bumper and spoiler that is on it now to death which has me set for a repaint this winter.

martyo
11-24-2005, 01:38 PM
Marty, what are you thinking of with the hood? Hot air extraction vents? Or just something lighter?

I will be doing a cowl hood. Probably around two inches or so. Weight savings could be part of the plan too.

This is something along the lines of what I want (perhaps a little less rise) (photo credit Bowman9):

http://www.legalknevil.com/albums/Miscellaneous-Car-Stuff/aef.jpg

blackf0rk
11-24-2005, 01:57 PM
OMG. Awesomenesss!

Donny Carlson
11-24-2005, 02:05 PM
I will be doing a cowl hood. Probably around two inches or so. Weight savings could be part of the plan too.

This is something along the lines of what I want (perhaps a little less rise) (photo credit Bowman9):

Stick with the normal bulg in the hood, just make it taller.You may not need to go a tall as the photoshopped hood -- the extra width should help extract air.

martyo
11-24-2005, 02:19 PM
Stick with the normal bulg in the hood, just make it taller.You may not need to go a tall as the photoshopped hood -- the extra width should help extract air.

That was what I was trying to say Donny. That is like a 4" cowl and I will probably go with like a 2 to 2 and one half inch cowl.

Our member Bowman9 did a great job of juicing me up the hood ideas. He cam up with some other nice looks too.

My only concern is what I will do with my custom under hood liner.

BK_GrandMarquis
11-25-2005, 05:48 AM
That was what I was trying to say Donny. That is like a 4" cowl and I will probably go with like a 2 to 2 and one half inch cowl.

Our member Bowman9 did a great job of juicing me up the hood ideas. He cam up with some other nice looks too.

My only concern is what I will do with my custom under hood liner.

Cut it up and put in on sideways? :D Just sell it to someone who wants it. it's got to have some added value now. It came off of the fastest Marauder to date. :D

I don't see any room with that huge cowl opening. If you used a Cobra heat extractor hood, you'd have a little more room to work with. It would still probably mount pretty low though.

merc6
11-25-2005, 06:02 AM
how heavy is a CV,GM,MM hood anyways? Anyone recomending hood pins cause the stocker looks as if air is getting trapped in there. If I got a hood made it would be 03 cobra style.

Brutus
11-25-2005, 06:20 AM
3G Services could do it as well. Marty, have you thought about a chin spoiler on Legal Knevil to scoop up air to blow over the oil pans and tranny pan?

ALSO, those of you with the floppy rear facias -- these guys could make a custom cover for the entire underside of the rear section that would make it a seamless exit out to the reat with no chance of air getting trapped. Think about that.

Can they reproduce the Trilogy facias??

BK_GrandMarquis
11-25-2005, 08:21 AM
how heavy is a CV,GM,MM hood anyways? Anyone recomending hood pins cause the stocker looks as if air is getting trapped in there. If I got a hood made it would be 03 cobra style.
I think there are some race rules that you require hood pins if you have a lightweight hood. Not sure where I saw that. Not positive but the OEM hood is probably around 50 lbs. I help put one back on after re-installing an engine. We didn't bother weighing it at the time.

Can they reproduce the Trilogy facias??
They probably can but it would be expensive because of the complex design. Also the Trilogy part was OEM type urethane if I remember correctly. Anything rigid on the front of the car can be easily damaged. You also would have to get permission from Trilogy to duplicate it. A hood is relatively flat. A front air splitter is also pretty simple. I asked an aftermarket import company about making an air splitter and it was only $300. This was a simple flat carbon fiber piece with mounting hardware.

DEFYANT
11-25-2005, 08:51 AM
This is baaad news!

I really liked that photo shoped hood with the cobra style vents and the Cervini's look-a-like.

I could not find them in the gallery. Can someone re-post them so I can save them?

Anyone have an idea on the cost to make a custome hood?

BK_GrandMarquis
11-25-2005, 08:57 AM
This is baaad news!

I really liked that photo shoped hood with the cobra style vents and the Cervini's look-a-like.

I could not find them in the gallery. Can someone re-post them so I can save them?

Anyone have an idea on the cost to make a custome hood?

Here are the four versions that were posted.

SergntMac
11-25-2005, 10:42 AM
It came off of the fastest Marauder to date. :D You mean the real fastest Mercury Marauder in the world, right?

I really liked that photo shoped hood with the cobra style vents and the Cervini's look-a-like. Anyone have an idea on the cost to make a custome hood?If it's #4 ^ there, let's find out?

DEFYANT
11-25-2005, 04:46 PM
If it's #4 ^ there, let's find out?

Yep, #4 is the one. :D

DEFYANT
11-25-2005, 04:48 PM
http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=80 58&d=1132934226

This is just baddass. And it is on a silver Marauder :D

Shankin
11-25-2005, 05:02 PM
A nice carbon 3 inch would be plenty yet tasteful! That double hood thing looks like a$$!

Gre8one7
11-25-2005, 07:22 PM
If anyone finds out how much this would cost post it please! Id be willing to get one :)

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=80 58&d=1132934226

TooManyFords
11-25-2005, 07:29 PM
I think I said this before, but I'm in too.

Can the add-on scoops be purchased separately? I'd go ask my local bodyshop (since I work at Wheelers auto body supply) I bet I could get a batch of these made up. No promises but I have an 'in' in the industry now.

John

DEFYANT
11-25-2005, 07:35 PM
That pic also makes the badgless look better, IMO.

Whos car is that anyway? The orginal unphotochopped car I mean..

grampaws
11-25-2005, 07:46 PM
#4 I'm in if it happens!!?:banana2:

huot5
11-25-2005, 07:55 PM
I'll go for the heat extractor version then.

MarauderMark
11-25-2005, 08:13 PM

Would look even better on black..:up:

Donny Carlson
11-25-2005, 08:49 PM
Look, this company will do anything you want -- if you can afford their fees. Take another look at the Diamondback. You seriously think that a fascia is any problem? Answer: no. It probably will cost more than most of you are willing to pay, and that's the reality people.

I can't speak for Jerry Barnes, but I can speculate that the cost of producing the Trilogy fascias was just waaay too high when considering how many there would be sold, and since the original molds were one-offs most likely from a foam or clay model they were not suitable for mass production.

Sure, 3G would make new ones, and I'm not sure the design is trademarked, so a real close copy could be done (my guess is Jerry would give his blessing if asked), but who'se gonna pony up the upfront cost?

Now, hoods. Marty has been searching for a >cowl induction< hood for Legal Knevil. I've been looking too, and nobody up until 3G even showed interest.
There is ZERO interest in most of the aftermarket for a Marauder hood of any type. 3G will do a one-off, and I would think they could make a limited run for other interested parties. But, keep in mind, even the mass produced hoods are upwards of $900 unpainted, some more.

You guys want commission a functional air-scoop Marauder hood, fine, go to it. Open up your check book, write em a big check, and they'll do it for you. Keep in mind, if you're car is a daily driver, it has to be able to handle rain water without it dumping right into your intake. If you just drive in fair wearher or on the track, you shouldn't be too worried.

That's the beauty of cowl induction -- it doesn direct an air stream, it just opens the engine bay up for better cooling and breathing.

I say let Marty check these people out and if there's the ability for more than one hood to be made, I'm sure he'll be on here posting about it and let you know the details.

FordNut
11-25-2005, 09:11 PM
I just bought a reproduction hood. I'm thinking about having some mods such as cowl induction done on it and setting my OEM hood aside.

martyo
11-25-2005, 09:36 PM
I say let Marty check these people out and if there's the ability for more than one hood to be made, I'm sure he'll be on here posting about it and let you know the details.

Well, I will be checking out the folks Donny recommended as well as the lead i am in touch with (given to me by Shankin). I will keep you all posted, but bear in mind, I would most likely look into the cowl hood.

I need to pull some weight off my car--this morning someone called me and told me that if I get weight off my car, we will have a faster car. We will see. Right now, let's just say that next year I hope that there is a SSHS event.

DEFYANT
11-25-2005, 10:28 PM
Does anyone have close up pics of the PHP Marauder with the louvered hood? That would be a cheeper alternative to a total redesign and could acomplish this goal of venting the engine compartment.

Bowman9
11-25-2005, 11:08 PM
I just bought a reproduction hood. I'm thinking about having some mods such as cowl induction done on it and setting my OEM hood aside.

FordNut, out of curiousity how much did the reproduction hood cost you?

BK_GrandMarquis
11-25-2005, 11:17 PM
Does anyone have close up pics of the PHP Marauder with the louvered hood? That would be a cheeper alternative to a total redesign and could acomplish this goal of venting the engine compartment.

I've only seen this shot of it.

http://www.supermotors.org/getfile/268100/original/1037DSC00415.jpg

martyo
11-25-2005, 11:27 PM
I've only seen this shot of it.

http://www.supermotors.org/getfile/268100/original/1037DSC00415.jpg

This does not look aggresive enough for me! Plus, I don't think it will evaucate as much heat and get as much fresh air under the hood as I want.

Donny Carlson
11-25-2005, 11:55 PM
This does not look aggresive enough for me! Plus, I don't think it will evaucate as much heat and get as much fresh air under the hood as I want.

My recollection of this hood from seeing it at MVII was that it was mostly cosmetic. I recall there was a hood liner, so there would be virtually no benefit to the louvres.

But then, I only saw it once, so it's possible they did something different with it before or after.

Donny Carlson
11-26-2005, 12:05 AM
a "wide body" cowl induction hood, perhaps a bit taller than this one.(the red truck)

http://www.reflexxion.com/images/rf503.jpg

DEFYANT
11-26-2005, 12:07 AM
That (PHP)was not what I thought. Thanks for the pictures.

merc6
11-26-2005, 05:09 AM
I'm still partial to the #1! That would be my choice but I have nowhere to put the big arse stocker(living in apt sux) :(

Shankin
11-26-2005, 06:27 AM

There is probably something in your kitchen cabinets you can use for a scoop!;)

SergntMac
11-26-2005, 09:18 AM
You guys want commission a functional air-scoop Marauder hood, fine, go to it. Open up your check book, write em a big check, and they'll do it for you. Keep in mind, if you're car is a daily driver, it has to be able to handle rain water without it dumping right into your intake. If you just drive in fair wearher or on the track, you shouldn't be too worried.

That's the beauty of cowl induction -- it doesn direct an air stream, it just opens the engine bay up for better cooling and breathing.

I say let Marty check these people out and if there's the ability for more than one hood to be made, I'm sure he'll be on here posting about it and let you know the details. Ease up Donny, you're getting this wrong.

Cowl induction is a tried and true method of ducting cold air into the combustion process, but it won't work on fuel injected engines without a lot of hardware. Moreover, the angle of the Marauder windshield seems a bit shallow for an effective system to begin with, IMHO.

When windshields were more upright, like the muscle cars of the late '60s, there was great benefit from collecting cold air at the base of the windshield and redirect it into the collector, but that's when it was a true cowl induction system. Today's sloping windshields tend to amplify the effect and the air "coils", like waves crashing on the beach. This air swirls around and lifts the cowl, and increases drag.

Marty...I realize that you want to vent the engine bay, but IMHO, it's going to slow you down in the traps. BTW, your advisor is right, dump some weight. 400 pounds is .4 on the slip of a 4800 pound car with 400 RWHP. Probably .5 for you.

martyo
11-26-2005, 09:34 AM
\Marty...I realize that you want to vent the engine bay, but IMHO, it's going to slow you down in the traps. BTW, your advisor is right, dump some weight. 400 pounds is .4 on the slip of a 4800 pound car with 400 RWHP. Probably .5 for you.

Mac: This is true. We have some weight savings planned and underway. Some here will call it losing site of the Marauder, but we will see how it all works out in the end (I know, I know, there is no "end"!).

As for the cowl, depending on how it is executed will help us see if we save some weight. In any event, I think we will benefit from getting heat out from under the hood and replacing it with cool(er) air.

Plus, it should look bad ass! :D.

TooManyFords
11-26-2005, 11:24 AM
I'd go for the "looks" factor regardless of loss of ET.
Keep us posted on the new marauder "diet" you're planning. Or is this a MODIET plan?!?

Cheers!

John

BigMerc
11-28-2005, 05:31 PM
Well I called 3G to ask them some of the questions posted here and their phone number is disconnected.............kinda of takes the steam out of it.

Don't know why or what but kind of puts a damper on it when the phones out.

Donny Carlson
11-28-2005, 08:09 PM
Well I called 3G to ask them some of the questions posted here and their phone number is disconnected.............kinda of takes the steam out of it.

Don't know why or what but kind of puts a damper on it when the phones out.

Both the voice line and fax line get a "temporarily disconnected" recording. I checked with the owner who just had the prototype chin spoiler installed by them, and she said they had a bad storm today that knocked out phone service and power, which may explain the outage. I'll find out what the story is, but they are in business.

Donny Carlson
11-29-2005, 07:33 PM
As explained to me, their phones were knocked out and should be back up now. Call Doug Groh (president of 3G Services) on his cell @ 734-262-4280 as an alternate to the company phone number if you still can't get through.

MENINBLK
11-29-2005, 08:45 PM

This is the hood I am looking for !!!

SergntMac
11-30-2005, 07:54 AM
This is the hood I am looking for !!! Yep, me too. First design I've seen that looks bad azzed on a Marauder. This hood, I would buy.

Lowering engine bay temps is good, so, if you want to vent hot air from the engine bay, make these scoops operational, perhaps remote controled by cable from the cabin. Incoming cold air will push the hot air out at the base of the windshield, and you could close them in foul weather...Just a thought.

With respect to capturing cold air and routing that to the induction path, well, that's a lot of hardware and plumbing, and the air wouldn't be very cold anymore by the time it got where you need it. If you want ram air/cold air, you have to start back at the OEM air box and look foward from there.

STLR FN
11-30-2005, 11:14 AM
Could someone shop this in DTR with the ram air inserts "chrome" and put a GM grill in with the outside of the grill body color?

SergntMac
11-30-2005, 08:01 PM
Could someone shop this in DTR with the ram air inserts "chrome" and put a GM grill in with the outside of the grill body color? LOL...Now we have lost it. Carry on, Donny...

TAF
11-30-2005, 08:40 PM
YO...can I get a call from "The Man", "Diamond Nutz", "Sir Dr. Carlson III" sometime tomorrow??!!

Since I can't PM you anymore :mad2:

Donny Carlson
11-30-2005, 08:41 PM
Lowering engine bay temps is good, so, if you want to vent hot air from the engine bay, make these scoops operational, perhaps remote controled by cable from the cabin. Incoming cold air will push the hot air out at the base of the windshield, and you could close them in foul weather...Just a thought.

That's actually a pretty good idea.:)

Back in the stone age, I sold fleet, municipal and medium duty trucks for three different Chevrolet dealers in the Houston area (ironically, only one is still in business with the same dealer, but I digress). The '80 Camaro Z28 had a hood with cold air induction, the acutal flaps for the induction were behind the hood bulge, facing the windshield. When you stomped on the throttle, those flaps would come open allowing cold air to be sucked into the intake, then they'd slap shut (spring loaded).

http://www.claringtonclassics.ca/Images/member%20cars/1980%20Camaro%20Z28%20-%20Paul%20and%20Anne.JPG

Then the new Camaro design came out for the 82 model year, and the Z-28 also had cold air intake, only the flaps were front mounted on the hood bulge.
http://www.phoenixgraphix.com/gm/8284z1.jpg

They worked the same way, WOT they'd flap open to draw in colder air right into the top of the intake. It wasn't long after the model was out that GM sent out a notice to have this system disconnected by pulling out the connector, and sealing the flaps shut. Seems that driving along in a rain storm, hitting the throttle so the flaps opened, dumped a large amounts of cold rain water into the air cleaner and all over the top of the engine. Not to mention, sitting outside in the middle of a driving rain storm, they'd leak.

So, getting out hot air, good idea. Being able to seal off the scoop, even better idea.

Donny Carlson
11-30-2005, 08:53 PM
YO...can I get a call from "The Man", "Diamond Nutz", "Sir Dr. Carlson III" sometime tomorrow??!!

Since I can't PM you anymore :mad2:

I re-activated my PM's.

But, I'll call you anyway:o

Bowman9
11-30-2005, 10:51 PM
Can the add-on scoops be purchased separately? I'd go ask my local bodyshop (since I work at Wheelers auto body supply) I bet I could get a batch of these made up. No promises but I have an 'in' in the industry now.

As we all know nobody makes hoods for our cars, but we could make our own, using a junkyard crown vic hood and some fiberglass.

Champion Fiberglass makes a knock-off of Cervinis Mustang Stalker hood for $270.00 and a lift-off (race) version for $190.00 (which would better for our needs).
They charge between $95.00 and $120.00 for shipping depending on your zip code, the shipping sounds steep to me.

They call it a "99-04 3" Super Mach 1 Hood"
http://www.championfiberglassproducts .com/mustang2.html

I do not know anything about this company, but it is rumored that they are "Cincinnati Composites*" under a new name.
I have not been able to confirm this, maybe someone here can find out for certain.

*Cincinnati Composites did not have the best reputation.

STLR FN
12-01-2005, 01:20 AM
Thanks for your commentary there Mac. It was really appreciated. :rolleyes: Remember the old saying, "If ya ain't got nothing nice to say, keep quiet."
LOL...Now we have lost it. Carry on, Donny...

STLR FN
12-01-2005, 01:27 AM
Oh Mac... I'm talkin bout this type of grill just with the badge and the scoop inserts to match. Sorry you could grasp that.
http://www.mercurymarauder.net/gallery/data/500/medium/Marauder_027.jpg

Carry on.....

Warpath
12-01-2005, 09:30 AM
As we all know nobody makes hoods for our cars, but we could make our own, using a junkyard crown vic hood and some fiberglass.

Champion Fiberglass makes a knock-off of Cervinis Mustang Stalker hood for $270.00 and a lift-off (race) version for $190.00 (which would better for our needs).
They charge between $95.00 and $120.00 for shipping depending on your zip code, the shipping sounds steep to me.

They call it a "99-04 3" Super Mach 1 Hood"
http://www.championfiberglassproducts .com/mustang2.html

I do not know anything about this company, but it is rumored that they are "Cincinnati Composites*" under a new name.
I have not been able to confirm this, maybe someone here can find out for certain.

*Cincinnati Composites did not have the best reputation.

Some of those knock off parts require so much work to get them to fit that some body shops won't touch them and, if they do, you would be spending more on labor than the hood itself. Stick with the reputable companies.

I've only heard extremely angry responses regarding Cincinnati Composites.

merc406
12-01-2005, 12:38 PM
Just saw this, and just thought that ya know that it's either Jegs or Summit that sells a bolt on cowl for just over a hundred or so, I went with the teardrop style after many months of pondering.

stevengerard
12-01-2005, 10:20 PM
http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=80 58&d=1132934226[/QUOTE]

I like this too