PDA

View Full Version : V8 RWD cars

Tempest
04-01-2003, 02:18 PM
Chevy's 2004 Impala SS is supercharged with 240 hp. I wonder how that's going to fare against the Marauder (both 0-60 and quarter mile). GM has stated that they will be bring back rear wheel drive vehicles probably in 2007. The RWD Impala SS is one of them. The current Impala is supposed to be more of an interim product from what it seems.

Pontiac and Dodge will also be releasing RWD cars in 2004. Ford will still have its Crown Vic, but without the Marauder, it will be left behind without a performance vehicle. I hope that if they do decide to stop production, they will go ahead and make the Ford Blackhawk as planned, and put the 5.4 liter that they originally talked about. Look at the Ford Lightning. It will get bumped up to 500 hp to compete with the 500 hp Dodge Ram SRT that's coming out next year. Todays Marauders and SS's aren't going to stand a chance next to those beasts.

Interestingly, Buick has a prototype called a Blackhawk as well. I wonder if Ford will have to rename theirs if they do produce it.

It will be interesting to see. I plan on getting a Marauder in 04 but if something better is on the horizon, I might wait.

LincMercLover
04-01-2003, 02:38 PM
From what I understand, the Blackhawk was the first MM. Mercury got the hand-me-down, I guess you can say.

RCSignals
04-01-2003, 02:38 PM
GM has stated that they will be bring back rear wheel drive vehicles probably in 2007. The RWD Impala SS is one of them. The current Impala is supposed to be more of an interim product from what it seems.

What I've tread is that the supercharched V6 Impala is an interim until they can put a V8 in them, but it will still be FWD

Chevrolet has stated it will be at least 10 years before there may be a RWD Chev passenger car again.

Fourth Horseman
04-01-2003, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by Tempest
GM has stated that they will be bring back rear wheel drive vehicles probably in 2007. The RWD Impala SS is one of them.

Is this confirmed? Any links to news on this? If this is true it's excellent news!

Vince Gortner
04-01-2003, 09:28 PM
I read a fairly detailed article in a magazine aimed at police fleet mangers (me) indicating that GM was not going to offer a small V8 in the FWD Impala as was planned at one time. They are considering selling the blown 3800 motor that Pontiac has offered for some time in the GP, but nothing definite yet for Chevy's police offerings.

The red SS concept car that made the show circuit looked pretty nice to me, but even though I was raised as a son of GM and even worked for them for a few years out of college, I am born again blue oval 100%.

prepare to flame....:flamer: flame!

There's not one single GM product I would buy right now including a Z06.

Tempest
04-01-2003, 10:44 PM
I read this at FordvsChevy.com concerning the rwd gm cars. Also, as indicated, I don't think Chevy will be building the cars (maybe partially). They will mostly be coming from GM's Australian arm of Holden.

http://www.fordvschevy.com/

RCSignals
04-02-2003, 12:12 AM
I think it's mostly wishful thinking of Chev guys and magazine writers.
As I've said, I've read quotes from Chev executives that have said they wouldn't hope to have any RWD passenger car ready for about 10 years. I'd say don't any one hold their breath.

What Vince said is what I've read as well. The supercharged V6 is Chevs stop gap in putting a V8 in the FWD car, and that V8 may not happen.

There are also rumours that Ford is going to bring Australian Falcons, etc here. Ford has said they are "researching it"
From what I've seen in pictures and read of specs, they are nice little cars. Certainly not a realistic replacement for Panthers though IMO.
I also don't think we'll see them brought here in the near future. It has taken General Motors longer, and cost them more $ than expected to bring the Holden here as the new GTO.

PurpleSStripes
04-02-2003, 01:00 PM
It will come first from Cadillac instead of Chevrolet, but you will be seeing a V8 in the performance version of the CTS sedan. It gets the same LS6 engine that's currently installed in the Z-06 Corvettes and it will be in production next year.

I had a chance to talk with GM execs at the Chicago auto show last February and they were saying a new V8, RWD Chevy would be launched by 2007, which is only 4 years away - not 10.

Then again, it's safest to believe none of what you read and only half of what you see. Time will tell.

Best Regards,

WolfeBros
04-02-2003, 05:36 PM
Interesting how things go in circles over time.

Anyone noticing that the newer designed SUV's are all beginning to look like station wagons again ??

Give it a few years and RWD will be back big again and everyone will act like it is the newest thing out. :rolleyes:

tetsu
04-02-2003, 06:06 PM
I saw an ad for a new "Muscle" car.. the Infiniti M45.

It seems a bit more muscular than our car in a couple of
ways. However, it was the pricing on the Q45 that kept me
away so the M45 is likely to be even worse pricewise.

Johnny

gja
04-02-2003, 08:26 PM
Nice car, ugly price Tetsu. WAY too steep for me, that's for d@mn sure. 42,300 was best I have seen. But the Q is WORSE. They can run from 52-61K.

1997HPP
04-03-2003, 07:00 AM
Just for the record, my wife has a Regal GS. It is actually very nice, the biggest drawback being the FWD. That said, it has the blown 3800 (240HP, 280 ft-lbs @ 3600). That car is fast. It will take my brother's Mustang every time (although it does seem to wheeze when speeds exceed 90 or so).

0-60 6.6 sec
1/4 mile high 14s (RegalGS.org lists member's stock cars at 14.7 - 15.1)

Just thought you guys might like the numbers.

That's fine for my wife, but I still want the Marauder. I am just hoping they keep making them until I get her Regal paid for. I won't have two payments.

Tempest
04-04-2003, 01:39 PM
I was checking out the Cadillac cars online, and I never realized that the Cadillac CTS was a rear wheel drive car. It's powered by a V6 too. I wonder why Cadillac made that car RWD and its V8 cars are still FWD?

jgc61sr2002
04-04-2003, 03:53 PM
Wolfe _ Thats very true, many companys are producing a vehicle between a wagon and a van. John

Mark McQuaide
04-04-2003, 06:06 PM
Ever sit in the M45? Feels like a cramped compact after the Marauder.

Marauderman
04-04-2003, 06:13 PM
No - But a salesman called me the other day and said---Have got the true muscle car--a Q-45--330 HP and 300TQ--will beat anything in its class..including that "Maruader" you spoke of"" at this point --I got pissed and said-gotta go..will call you back--which I'm not----don't even want to think of it--what is it anyway?

Beadhead
04-04-2003, 07:30 PM
Quote: "It will take my brother's Mustang every time ... 0-60 6.6 sec 1/4 mile high 14s"

What's in that Stang? Any 4.6 or 5.0 Stang can do better than those numbers.

gja
04-04-2003, 08:19 PM
Wait a minute, wait a minute......
The 'Q' is like 20K more than the Merc at lowest trim level.
I damn well expect a lot of ***-hauling speed at that price.
And it better be a quiet as a tomb at 100mph, too.
Hell, if I want to go in the hole that deep in payments there are much better cars in THAT bracket that will use the Infiniti as toilet-paper. Sorry, but 50K and up is a lot of lettuce for an auto.

RCSignals
04-06-2003, 11:24 PM
Funny how so many criticised the MSRP of the Marauder as being too high yet they seem accepting of the price of the Infinity.
(not us here of course ;) )

1997HPP
04-09-2003, 09:00 AM
The Mustang is a 97 GT (4.6), convertible. I assume that the convertible is a bit heavier, and that may have something to do with it. Actually, at one time one brother had an 88 5.0 and the other had his 97GT conv, and the 5.0 was considerably faster. I don't know if this is news to you folks, as I was never a big fan of the Mustang (or Camaro, or any of the pony cars).

I thought the 4.6 GT was "officially" a 6.5 sec 0-60 car. Is this not correct?

I don't doubt that the Mustang would win out in the 1/4 mile, I never tried- there the 4.6s stronger high RPM power would come into play, I think. The 3800SC is a 90 degree pushrod engine built for low-end grunt.

I'm just reporting what we find when we screw around.

-Dave

rurumon
04-09-2003, 09:26 AM
Those older GT's in the late 90's werent exactly that quick factory, especially if it was a vert. I believe even the best drivers dont do much better that mid 14's stock. I see nothing wrong with that regal smashing one if it runs in the 14's regularly. Too often those GT's are in the 15's with inexperienced drivers.

The newer model (99+) is a much faster 4.6. I have seen people run a hair into the 13's with those cars factory.

MAD-3R
04-09-2003, 10:18 AM
but with even easer mods then ours, those GT's could run 13's. Uncork the air way, and they scream.

Long Live #3
04-09-2003, 11:25 AM
Just wait for the V8 RWD Monte Carlo. I think it will be coming out in 2007 or 2008.

mrmark
04-09-2003, 12:13 PM
PEOPLE, people, don't be soo gullible. IMHO, GM has no intention of introducing another non-Cadilac RWD car.
The Monte Carlo SS is good enough for the masses. 200HP, 6 cylinder, auto, transaxle piece of s--t, that it is. Why do you think 90% of the cars produced are FWD? The reason is it cost much more in union labor to produce a RWD vehicle.
The reason is RWD vehicles are produced on two assembly lines (at least that is how it was 'splained to me). That is why only upper level cars (except the mustang) and trucks are RWD. This is not even taking into account what the CAFE standards will be in future years. Also, the "enthusiast" market is not big enough to absorb the R&D cost of such a limited run. I never thought the MM would be made, but if you want to look for innovation, check out Dodge. Their ballzy.

1997HPP
04-09-2003, 12:38 PM
By the by, I just checked the 1997 Mustang Convertible #s against the 99 Regal GS (source is Edmunds). They come in pretty close- the Stang is listed at 6.7sec 0-60, and the Regal is 6.6. The Regal comes in at 3500lbs, and the Mustang at 3422 (note, however, that knowing Edmunds I wouldn't be surprised if they gave the hardtop's weight and performance #s for the convertible). HP and Torque numbers are pretty similar.

The clear advantage to the Mustang is, of course, the rear wheel drive. And RWD is making a comeback- I thing you'll see all of the manufacturers putting out RWD platforms for the "masses" so-to-speak.

The new head of design at GM (can't remember his name) will demand, I think, a viable RWD platform (actually, the platform is already officially going to be seen in many or all of GMs divisions in '06).

rurumon
04-09-2003, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by MAD-3R
but with even easer mods then ours, those GT's could run 13's. Uncork the air way, and they scream.

oh god yes. I believe there is a guy with a blue 00 Gt on stangnet who runs low 12's with gears, slicks, a nice diff, and some other boltons with NO engine mods or forced induction.
Eat that chevy!

He has the slips to prove it too.

RCSignals
04-09-2003, 01:05 PM
mrmark

I agree. There has been wishful talk of a RWD Monte Carlo for a few years. GM has had plenty of time to make one "real"
What we will see is new versions of the RWD Cadillac CTS

Long Live #3
04-09-2003, 01:11 PM
My Dad was at Chevy's HQ and he said he saw the RWD Monte Carlo in the show room.

tomd
04-10-2003, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by gja
Wait a minute, wait a minute......
The 'Q' is like 20K more than the Merc at lowest trim level.
I damn well expect a lot of ***-hauling speed at that price.
And it better be a quiet as a tomb at 100mph, too.
Hell, if I want to go in the hole that deep in payments there are much better cars in THAT bracket that will use the Infiniti as toilet-paper. Sorry, but 50K and up is a lot of lettuce for an auto.

and the price runs

Infiniti Q45 LUXURY
Base Model Price With Destination Charge Invoice 47,570.00 Base price $52,545.00

Infiniti Q45 PREMIUM
Base Model Price With Destination Charge Invoice $56,231.00 Base price $62,145.00

I would hope for that extra $15,000 to $30,000 extra I'd get a faster car!
:lol:

RCSignals
04-10-2003, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by Long Live #3
My Dad was at Chevy's HQ and he said he saw the RWD Monte Carlo in the show room.

If I'm not mistaken, it's the concept. Like most concept, I doubt we'll see it built, and if you go by what GM has been saying, if they do it won't be for quite few years yet