PDA

View Full Version : The Sports Cliche

dwasson
11-26-2005, 04:15 PM
For you casual fans and ladies out there, you might find sports hard to understand. One of the hardest things for a beginner to decipher is the Sports Cliche, a series of nonsensical lingo that says one thing but means something else completely. That's why we're here to help.

"I'm not as much of a vocal leader, per se. I prefer to lead by example."
Translation: I am not much of a leader.

"We're taking it one game at a time."
Translation: I would take it seven games at a time, but damnit lady, that's not humanly possible.

"You gotta give a 110% on every play."
Translation: Actually, no one gives it all on every play. Sometimes I give 100%. Other times I only give 70%. I'm a human being, I'm going to get tired, and I need to conserve my energy. But if I tell you the truth, everyone is going to hate me. That's why I am lying to your face.

"We get no respect."
Translation: This is a motivational tool I am using on myself. If I trick myself into believing no one respects me, I will no doubt work harder in hopes of earning that respect.

"We're going to shock the world!"
Translation: We have a good chance of suprising a few people in the continental United States.

"Defense wins championships."
Translation: We're not winning the championship on account of our rotton offense.

"You play to win the game!"
Translation: We are a bad team and probably going to lose a lot of games.

"BOOM!"
Translation: I am a football commentator with a limited vocabulary.