PDA

View Full Version : 90mm MAF check engine light

djv5150
12-01-2005, 06:40 PM
I just purchased a used 90mm MAF, My son and I installed it with no trouble,on the JLT.Started the car and went for a long test drive the car ran strong, returned home, I let the car sit for 30 min started and got the check engine light.Put the Xcal2 on and got,P0113 Intake Air Temperature Circuit High Input. The car runs well,but is the fix easy with the Xcal2, or is the MAF bad?

FordNut
12-01-2005, 06:52 PM
I just purchased a used 90mm MAF, My son and I installed it with no trouble, started the car and went for a long test drive the car ran strong, returned home, I let the car sit for 30 min started and got the check engine light.Put the Xcal2 on and got,P0113 Intake Air Temperature Circuit High Input. The car runs well,but is the fix easy with the Xcal2, or is the MAF bad?
Some MAFs have a separate IAT sensor.

djv5150
12-01-2005, 07:00 PM
I was told to remove the battery terminal and it seems to have reset it will take another ride and see. It was on a marauder befor mine.

djv5150
12-01-2005, 07:14 PM
I was told to remove the battery terminal and it seems to have reset it will take another ride and see. It was on a marauder befor mine.
Light is back on.

carfixer
12-01-2005, 07:42 PM
Your stock MAF has the IAT built in. Your 90MM MAF does not have an IAT sensor.

fastblackmerc
12-01-2005, 07:47 PM
I thought you needed to "fix" the tune in the computer if you install a larger MAF.

djv5150
12-01-2005, 07:49 PM
Your stock MAF has the IAT built in. Your 90MM MAF does not have an IAT sensor.
Claude, what would be the fix

carfixer
12-01-2005, 08:03 PM
Get an IAT sensor and plug, take the 2 wires out of the MAF connector for the IAT and locate the IAT somewhere in the intake tube and wire it in.
You will need a tune though. Your car is tuned for the stock sized MAF. The only reason your car is running decent now is that it is running in failure mode (FMEM). It is substituting the missing IAT value with a value it thinks it should be by reading the other sensors and making a calculated guess. I recommend putting your old MAF in until you can wire in an IAT and get a tune for your 90MM MAF.

David Morton
12-01-2005, 08:17 PM
Claude, you are a steely-eyed Marauder man!

Thank you for your service to the fellowship.

JMan
12-02-2005, 03:52 AM
PM on the way!
J

Bradley G
12-02-2005, 05:01 AM
How about the SCT 2400? Does this also require relocating the IAT sensor?

djv5150
12-02-2005, 06:50 AM
Thanks guys I will be purchasing IAT and adding it,I will install the stock sensor until new parts are on hand.

SergntMac
12-02-2005, 09:17 AM
How about the SCT 2400? Does this also require relocating the IAT sensor?No, BA 2400 and 2800 are Marauder compatabile, stock harness is fine. Lightning 90mm is not, for the problems stated here.

marauderboi
12-02-2005, 02:40 PM
tanks for all the replies so my present can be used

HookedOnCV
12-02-2005, 11:08 PM
Just don't forget that the IAT sensor is one thing. Carfixer mentioned the other...you need a tune (or your tune modified if you have a chip or flasher) to program the MAF transfer function for the 90mm Lightning MAF. The Marauder MAF has a range of something like 0 to 52 lbs of air per minute corresponding to the 0-5 volts DC output. The EEC has 30 points in a table which equate to the 0-52#/min. This table is not linear. There are more points at the lower end of the table which allow the engine to more accurately measure the airflow at normal driving levels.

The Lightning MAF has a different MAF transfer function (range of 0-63#/min or so). What this basically means is that without a modified tune, using the Lightning MAF is going to feed your computer with a false/different calibration of air coming into the engine. This can throw off your A/F - although your O2 sensors will correct at closed loop. The A/F would be off at WOT when the O2 sensors are ignored. This could be a dangerous (lean) situation.

You can't just switch MAF's (either to the Lighting or an SCT) without a tune to modify the MAF transfer function.

Todd

djv5150
12-03-2005, 07:48 AM
Just don't forget that the IAT sensor is one thing. Carfixer mentioned the other...you need a tune (or your tune modified if you have a chip or flasher) to program the MAF transfer function for the 90mm Lightning MAF. The Marauder MAF has a range of something like 0 to 52 lbs of air per minute corresponding to the 0-5 volts DC output. The EEC has 30 points in a table which equate to the 0-52#/min. This table is not linear. There are more points at the lower end of the table which allow the engine to more accurately measure the airflow at normal driving levels.

The Lightning MAF has a different MAF transfer function (range of 0-63#/min or so). What this basically means is that without a modified tune, using the Lightning MAF is going to feed your computer with a false/different calibration of air coming into the engine. This can throw off your A/F - although your O2 sensors will correct at closed loop. The A/F would be off at WOT when the O2 sensors are ignored. This could be a dangerous (lean) situation.

You can't just switch MAF's (either to the Lighting or an SCT) without a tune to modify the MAF transfer function.

Todd

Thanks guys, I put the stock MAF back in. I will get all the parts together and have the car tuned the same day I install all the parts. The last thing I want to do is damage the car.
Thanks for all the great info that I had no clue about
David

fastblackmerc
12-15-2005, 04:15 AM
Does anyone know if Ford P/N M-12579-L54 (Mustang 90MM MAF) has the IAT?

SergntMac
12-15-2005, 10:27 AM
Does anyone know if Ford P/N M-12579-L54 (Mustang 90MM MAF) has the IAT?No, it does not, because M-12579-L54 is a Lightning 90mm MAF.

Dennis Reinhart
12-15-2005, 10:55 AM
I just purchased a used 90mm MAF, My son and I installed it with no trouble,on the JLT.Started the car and went for a long test drive the car ran strong, returned home, I let the car sit for 30 min started and got the check engine light.Put the Xcal2 on and got,P0113 Intake Air Temperature Circuit High Input. The car runs well,but is the fix easy with the Xcal2, or is the MAF bad?

First of all the 90MMLM is not calibrated for the car, the whole Mass air flow transfer function is totaly different, secondly the 90MMLM does not have a built in IAT as the Marauder Maf does so now the car has no IAT signal, and to be perfectly honest I am not sure what gains you will get out of this if you corected the transfer function and added a external IAT, I will help any way I can just give me a call