PDA

View Full Version : Canadian Speed Control

dwasson
12-01-2005, 06:41 PM
From: http://money.cnn.com/2005/12/01/Autos/canada_gps_speed/index.htm

Device stops speeders from inside car

Report: Canada testing device that alerts drivers whenever the exceed speed limits.
December 1, 2005: 1:04 PM EST

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) - Canadian auto regulators are testing a system that would enforce speed limits by making it harder to push down the car's gas pedal once the speed limit is passed, according to a newspaper report.

The system being tested by Transport Canada, the Canadian equivalent of the U.S. Department of Transportation, uses a global positioning satellite device installed in the car to monitor the car's speed and position. If the car begins to significantly exceed the speed limit for the road on which it's travelling the system responds by making it harder to depress the gas pedal, according to a story posted on the Toronto Globe and Mail's Website.

The pilot test, using 10 cars driven by volunteers, is believed to be the first in North America, although similar systems have been tested in several European countries, according to the newspaper.

The agency is also testing another system that warns drivers with a voice alarm and a light whenever they start to speed, the newspaper said. Those systems are already on sale, according to the report. The company that makes the alarm device, the Otto Driving Companion, has already sold 400 of the units in Winnipeg alone, the newspaper said.

Rider90
12-01-2005, 06:48 PM
There are going to be some broken gas pedal assemblies...

CBT
12-01-2005, 06:54 PM
I'm all for putting the head of whoever invented this device under my brake pedal.

Haggis
12-02-2005, 09:13 AM
But, they should also make the device work by making sure you drive the speed limit. For those who like to travel too slow it would force them to keep up to speed during rush hour traffic and for those left lane hogs that drive 5 - 10 mph slower then posted.

dwasson
12-02-2005, 12:49 PM
But, they should also make the device work by making sure you drive the speed limit. For those who like to travel too slow it would force them to keep up to speed during rush hour traffic and for those left lane hogs that drive 5 - 10 mph slower then posted.
Can you imagine the terror when Aunt Mabel is suddenly doing 55 MPH against her will?

grampaws
12-02-2005, 01:21 PM
They should just hookit to the OEM speed limiter then no matter
how far the pedal is depressed..it won't go..This would be good
for fleets and the over eager teenager with minimal experience..
for me I would be grabbing the nearest screwdriver and ripping it out!!
The idea of forcing drivers to go faster than they are comfortable
is scarier the the hazzard they already are!! I will stick with a couple
of good cuss word's and patiently try to find a way around them..

Dragcity
12-02-2005, 01:37 PM
All this electronic crap makes me glad I have a '65 T-Bird. "The Man" can't electronically control that one. Unless he reverses polarity or something.

Fly by wire, Huh?

Mike Poore
12-02-2005, 01:43 PM

I can't wait, Gordon, when all those folks crawling along southbound 270 in the morning suddnly have This amazing Orwellian device make them go 65mph. It would be the greatest pile-up in history! :drive:

Haggis
12-02-2005, 07:17 PM
I can't wait, Gordon, when all those folks crawling along southbound 270 in the morning suddnly have This amazing Orwellian device make them go 65mph. It would be the greatest pile-up in history! :drive:
Like it isn't already, luckily I know the back roads...over the river and through the woods, to work I go. And I do mean that literally.

Rob1559
12-02-2005, 07:18 PM
Goes right along with their Socialized Medical Care!

QWK SVT
12-04-2005, 08:50 AM
All this electronic crap makes me glad I have a '65 T-Bird. "The Man" can't electronically control that one. Unless he reverses polarity or something.

Fly by wire, Huh?

I'm with you! Just one more reason to start driving classics, instead of the new crap being released... ;)

Mad4Macs
12-04-2005, 02:06 PM
Please note this one important detail;

It's not that your car will have an onboard device watching your speedo, you've got a friggin GPS unit in the sky, monitoring the car's speed and position!!!
If Canadians aren't up in arms over this, all I can say, is "WHY NOT???".
Oh, I forgot... unless you're doing something wrong, then you've got nothing to hide.
Anyone that's ok with this, ought to form a line and have a GPS tracker installed in their arse.
Sheesh...

Dr Caleb
12-05-2005, 09:06 AM
If Canadians aren't up in arms over this, all I can say, is "WHY NOT???".

Because this is only a test, had it been an actual emergency, you would be directed as how to defeat the solenoid restricting movement of the go-fast pedal. Or which brand of aluminum foil defeats the GPS reciever most effectively.

Because we know it takes years, if ever, for our government to get anything done. And because if we've learned anything over the years, it's that even if such systems are sucessful, they will never be manditory.

We're quite aware that police forces have severely been curtailed over the years. As a result, driving habits have become quite dangerous due to lack of enforcement. We don't mind measures that keep people safer, such as red light cameras. But, nothing pis :censor: us off more than the obvious cash cow.