PDA

View Full Version : Disappointed in the STS-V

Donny Carlson
12-04-2005, 03:30 PM
I gotta say, I was less than impressed with the cover article in Autoweek about the STS-V. 469 hp, supercharged 4.4 Northstar. Not bad, but the price of admission is $75K base, and with a production run of 2,000 per year, you can expect to pay MSRP or better. The article says the STS-V performance is par with a base C-6 Corvette, again, not bad.

The new BMW M5 (500 hp) is base priced at $81K.

Way out of my budget anyway.

stevengerard
12-04-2005, 04:23 PM
I'm thrilled that GM has finally created a car that can contend with the european sport sedans. Though I'm with you - who gives a crap at 70k, give us a a few options from 30k - 45k that hall butt. Ford almost got it right with the MM, Chrysler with the 300C and Charger, can't GM get us guys a muscle car. I love autocrossing but I'd settle for a few low 13 second American sedans any day.

Rider90
12-04-2005, 04:48 PM
I gotta say, I was less than impressed with the cover article in Autoweek about the STS-V. 469 hp, supercharged 4.4 Northstar. Not bad, but the price of admission is $75K base, and with a production run of 2,000 per year, you can expect to pay MSRP or better. The article says the STS-V performance is par with a base C-6 Corvette, again, not bad.

Frack the M5, Check out that new M6 :cool:

WTBBLKMAR
12-04-2005, 06:42 PM
2000 per year? damn thats low production. CTS-V is a higher production line right? when i saw the info specs and pics of the STS-V i was thrilled. its a sweet ride for sure. new m5 is savage i hear once u hit that "M" button and unleash 107 more horses haha

bigslim
12-04-2005, 07:03 PM
2000 per year? damn thats low production. CTS-V is a higher production line right? when i saw the info specs and pics of the STS-V i was thrilled. its a sweet ride for sure. new m5 is savage i hear once u hit that "M" button and unleash 107 more horses haha
In this month's Car and Driver they test the M5, Mercedes CL55 AMG, and the new STS-V. The STS-V came in second place. The STS-V has the same horsepower as the CL55 and only 30-40 hp shy of the M5. It does give up some torque numbers to the CL55 though. I am glad to see an American car company with some go-nads to build a car that can compete with the German elite.

TripleTransAm
12-04-2005, 07:07 PM
As I've come to realize, magazine articles won't be worth a dime in the real world. With the current quality reputations of Mercedes and BMW, all the Caddy has to do is go a year without any major failures and it's a winner. I hope GM's got the beans to do it right.

Marauderman
12-04-2005, 07:30 PM

Makes those of us near 500 or more Hp with our MM have even a bigger grin----cause we spent a whole lot less.....Yahoo:banana:

RCSignals
12-04-2005, 11:57 PM
another puny cu in DOHC V8 proves it isn't all about displacement anymore.

SergntMac
12-05-2005, 08:24 AM
All that coin, and no start button...Tsk, tsk...

ADE 1000
12-05-2005, 12:01 PM
I'm thrilled that GM has finally created a car that can contend with the european sport sedans. Though I'm with you - who gives a crap at 70k, give us a a few options from 30k - 45k that hall butt. Ford almost got it right with the MM, Chrysler with the 300C and Charger, can't GM get us guys a muscle car. I love autocrossing but I'd settle for a few low 13 second American sedans any day.

Are you forgetting the CTS-V? It runs circles around any other domestic sedan (and similiarly priced foreign ones) at the track.

I like the STS-V (and the regular STS V-8), but I will agree that the price is a little on the high side.

stevengerard
12-05-2005, 07:58 PM
Are you forgetting the CTS-V? It runs circles around any other domestic sedan (and similiarly priced foreign ones) at the track.

I like the STS-V (and the regular STS V-8), but I will agree that the price is a little on the high side.

Nope, I actually looked at a CTS-V before I bought the MM, even after all I spent on the MM I have a faster car that holds more people and stuff for less. Of course it doesn't handle as well but, the CTS-V was too small and 22k more than I paid for my loaded MM and I got 0% on the loan, not the 4.9 Cadillac was offering. I'm just thrilled to see both V's get good reviews

Rider90
12-05-2005, 08:03 PM
Nope, I actually looked at a CTS-V before I bought the MM, even after all I spent on the MM I have a faster car that holds more people and stuff for less. Of course it doesn't handle as well but, the CTS-V was too small and 22k more than I paid for my loaded MM and I got 0% on the loan, not the 4.9 Cadillac was offering. I'm just thrilled to see both V's get good reviews
Too small? naww...I can't fit in the back seat. I always get the front :banana2: