PDA

View Full Version : Clamp on Meter help needed

CRUZTAKER
12-05-2005, 06:02 PM
I am sure someone here has used this model....I hope so anyway.

I found this Older model Craftsman clamp on meter in our tool bin. The manual is missing. I need to test it, but for the life of me, cannot get it to read anything in regards to amps. I have tried several combinations of button selections...but I am missing something somewhere. Perhaps it is defective.....?

Can someone give me the button sequence to give me an amp reading in A/C mode?

martyo
12-05-2005, 06:23 PM
I lot of places make their manuals available on line.

Have you tried that?

CRUZTAKER
12-05-2005, 06:30 PM
Sears/Craftsman is not so giving...:down:

Donny Carlson
12-05-2005, 07:10 PM
Sears/Craftsman is not so giving...:down:

They aren't available online, but you can order a replacement copy from sears.com under the "parts" section. Do a search for the model number meter.

Edit: Is it an 82014?

bigjohn
12-05-2005, 07:12 PM
How are you using it to read amps? I'm not familiar with that exact model but clamp meters need to be clamped around a single conductor. If you're trying to read amps in say an extension cord or power cord to something the field generated by the current flowing in the hot and neutral conductors in the cord will cancel each other out and the meter won't read anything. Hope this helps!

Smokie
12-05-2005, 07:22 PM
Take a clear picture of the front of it and I'll help you with settings. A/C amps may have symbol thats looks like a sine wave ~ Like bigjohn said you have to go (clamp) around a single wire not 2 or 3.

Example: 1200 watt hair dryer, plugged into 120 vac outlet= 10 amps.

CRUZTAKER
12-06-2005, 09:24 AM
If you're trying to read amps in say an extension cord or power cord to something the field generated by the current flowing in the hot and neutral conductors in the cord will cancel each other out ...

This must be where I went wrong. I was trying to check some extention cords to see what the load of all my xmas lights were.

Any suggestions?

Take a clear picture of the front of it and I'll help you with settings. A/C amps may have symbol thats looks like a sine wave ~ Like bigjohn said you have to go (clamp) around a single wire not 2 or 3.

Example: 1200 watt hair dryer, plugged into 120 vac outlet= 10 amps.

I think I have the settings correct...it's the correct usage I am failing apparently. As far as the math, I am good with PIE.;)

Agent M79
12-06-2005, 10:17 AM
I was trying to check some extention cords to see what the load of all my xmas lights were.

Geez Barry... Is that all? Smoke = Unplug the last strand you just plugged in. If the extension cord jacket is hot and gooey, that's ok.

bigjohn
12-06-2005, 12:48 PM
This must be where I went wrong. I was trying to check some extention cords to see what the load of all my xmas lights were.

Any suggestions?

I think I have the settings correct...it's the correct usage I am failing apparently. As far as the math, I am good with PIE.;)

If the extension cords are of the light-duty type, ie; zip cord or lamp cord then you could take a sharp knife and slice between them to seperate the two wires, unplugged of course! (hate to see your Xmas lights turn you into a fourth of July show :D ).

Check the seperated wires for any copper showing, if so, use a little electrical tape to cover it up. You can then use the clamp meter around one of the wires and plug it in and should get a reading.

If the cords are heavier and round jacketed then another method of seperating the wires needs to be found. Some clamp meters used to include an adapter just for this purpose, it plugged into the wall and had a socket where you plugged in the load in question. The adapter had the hot wire broken out in a nice molded loop where you placed the clamp meter's jaws around.

Brutus
12-06-2005, 01:03 PM
Sometimes the red lead on the meter has to be plugged into a different port on the meter itself. I cant tell by the photo if there is another port for amps. Maybe this will help!

CRUZTAKER
12-06-2005, 01:22 PM
... slice between them to seperate the two wires and clamp over one.

This is what I did. I made a short length extention cord with separate pieces of #12. Works fine now.:rolleyes:

I can't believe I forgot how to use one of these. :fishslap:

Results and pics to follow. ;)