PDA

View Full Version : Trunk gun safe?

Matt Johnson
12-05-2005, 06:27 PM
Anyone here have an organizer with lock box, or similar for carrying a firearm (handgun) in trunk?

merc6
12-05-2005, 06:39 PM
nope but beleve galls has one that mounted on the roof of the trunk between the amp and spare tire. Can't find it in my current galls one.There was also the one for under the seat. Anyone seen what happened to all the shotgun mounts. The roofline mount that was independant from the shield was nice.

pate
12-07-2005, 11:05 AM
check out Esmet

Link (http://www.esmet.com/tuflocws.htm)

They sell a Tuffbox made for the Vic.

twolow
12-07-2005, 11:33 AM
I have two trunk lid rifle mounts out of a retired Sheriff's car that I hope to one day use whenever I break down and get a assault rifle.

I would rather lock a handgun in the glove box over the trunk myself.

spiders
12-07-2005, 11:58 AM
Isn't the trunk too far away?? heh heh

merc6
12-07-2005, 12:08 PM
depends if his intentions were to keep the gun away from kids when he's home and or not.

Eric91Z
12-07-2005, 12:58 PM
check out Esmet

Link (http://www.esmet.com/tuflocws.htm)

They sell a Tuffbox made for the Vic.

Thanks for that link. I have been trying to find something for my sister to use in her truck once she gets out of the Academy. She wanted something to safely store her weapon in when not being carried for work. The Mini Tuffbox looks like a good option for her.

merc6
12-07-2005, 01:32 PM
DUDE what police dept has 249's
http://www.esmet.com/tufloc-site/graphics/singles.gif

Marauder2005
12-07-2005, 04:31 PM
You would be surprised....

looking97233
12-07-2005, 09:51 PM
serious bad guys call for serious arminment. Just make sure those that will be using them know how and when.

merc6
12-07-2005, 09:53 PM
I know the rounds aren't designed for urban anything. 3600 meters is a long way away if you miss ;)

Marauder2005
12-08-2005, 09:21 AM
I know the rounds aren't designed for urban anything. 3600 meters is a long way away if you miss ;)

Not if your shooting down, like from a helicopter.

Lou
12-08-2005, 09:54 AM
Try these places.

http://www.car-safe.com/gallery.htm

http://www.securityandsafetysupply.co m/product-firearms/vline-1.htm

I've also seen ones that fit in a glove box or center console but can't find the web site right now.

Remember, it's always better to have one and not need it than to need one and not have it.

Dragcity
12-08-2005, 09:59 AM
I carry mine in a shoulder holster. One in the chimmney with the hammer down.

Eric91Z
12-16-2005, 08:13 AM
Called Esmet today to order a Mini Tufbox for my sister and they said they don't sell to the public - only to agencies. They referred me to these guys who are a distributor:

http://www.uscav.com/

Just in case anyone is looking to pick one up.

Berts444
12-16-2005, 04:27 PM
Guys,
Do an ebay search for Gunsafe, Gunvault, pistol safe, DAC safe, etc. I bought one for below retail including the shipping a while back from there....you wouldn't beleive what all of your options are.

Most people use them to keep a pistola under the bed at night (or full time) safely and securely. Mine runs on 8 AA batteries and has a "jump start" prong on the side for a 9V battery in case the AA's die on you....you can also use a key. It has buttons on top for your 4 fingers, has a tamper alarm, and you program in your own 5 digit code. I have it in my trunk held down with big tamper proof carraige bolts (put the bolts in up from the bottom, and the nuts on the inside, just make sure they are covered w/ foam padding!) to store my SW 99 .40 safely when I am somewhere where I cannot carry (work, post office, etc.). Have to be careful when moving it from holster to trunk or reverse though, brandishing laws are pretty tough here in MA.
L8R
C~:beer:

Wagonmaster
12-16-2005, 10:37 PM
Many states brandishing laws are misunderstood. An inadvertent display of a weapon while transferring from a trunk to your holster, ect. is an event that would likely be considered accidental.
Assertively displaying a weapon that manifests an intent to intimidate others on the other hand would be cause for a talkin' to from the local Five oh'.

Guys,
Have to be careful when moving it from holster to trunk or reverse though, brandishing laws are pretty tough here in MA.
L8R
C~:beer:

Wagonmaster
12-16-2005, 10:43 PM
I prefer to keep mine on my hip. If one becomes a victim of a strong arm robbery/carjacking it will be somewhat difficult to protect oneself from the said dirtbag if their weapon is in the trunk. I think extra ammo in the trunk is a good idea however......

Anyone here have an organizer with lock box, or similar for carrying a firearm (handgun) in trunk?

jgc61sr2002
12-17-2005, 06:02 PM
I prefer to keep mine on my hip. If one becomes a victim of a strong arm robbery/carjacking it will be somewhat difficult to protect oneself from the said dirtbag if their weapon is in the trunk. I think extra ammo in the trunk is a good idea however......

That's the only place to keep it.:D

Eric91Z
12-17-2005, 07:05 PM
That is where I would prefer to keep it too, but since my job change, I no longer have a "viable" reason to carry according to our local Sheriff. Unfortunately, here in Iowa, each county Sheriff has the power to approve or deny CCW permit requests. I had my for 4 years while living in 2 different counties, including this one for 2 years, and he would not renew. Said I no longer had a reason that meets his requirements. I wish Iowa was a Shall Issue state set by State law instead of leaving it up to individual Sheriffs.

Berts444
12-19-2005, 06:38 PM
I agree, I try to not get myself into situations where I would need to put it in the trunk, I do have some freinds that a a little leary of guns in general (they were never raised around them, therefore they don't understand the respect you have to have for a firearm), and they have little kids, so they are double leary, So when I'm visiting it's in the gunvault. Otherwise, it stays nice and snug in the Don Hume. :cool4:

merc6
12-19-2005, 06:50 PM
I don't think the hip is the best place in the car ;) I usualy rotate my belt so the gun is between my legs cause seatbelt interfears with drawing it ;)

Berts444
12-19-2005, 06:57 PM
Agreed......The holster I usually wear this time of year is a 2 slot belt slide, so I usually move it as far foward as it will go, which for me is perfect. The holster is also in an FBI Cant position, so that helps too. A crossdraw isn't a bad way to go either for driving situations...."Behind" the hip is certainly not going to help you git her out quick, fast, & in a hurry if you need to while in the car.
C~