PDA

View Full Version : Krazy Glue Help

2003_MM_FYRE49
12-06-2005, 07:56 AM
My lovely bride to be was putting together some Christmas ornaments last night and got Krazy Glue on our brand new oak kitchen table. Does anyone know how to get Krazy Glue off of items such as my table. Thanks in advance for the help.

fastblackmerc
12-06-2005, 08:21 AM
I believe you can use Acetone(sp) to get it off.... but then you'l most likely ruin the finish on the table. Let it dry then try scraping it off. You prolly have to refinish the table top.... next time we use cardboard underneath our projects....

SergntMac
12-06-2005, 08:21 AM
I was going to post..."Find an Ace, or, True Value near you, and look for a solvent. I think the Krazy Glue brand makes it's own."

But, then I talked with a guy at work who refinishes office furniture, and he said "no, don't use it, it's just nail polish remover, and it will eat through the laquer finish.

His advice is to let it harden for a few days, then try to pick it off with a needle, or, pin.

Sorry, Tim.

MERCMAN
12-06-2005, 08:47 AM
Try WD-40. It will crystalize it and will allow you to remove it. Be sure to try it first on a small section where it is not visible to see if the WD-40 will mar the finish. Otherwise you can also use a razor-blade an "shave" it off

RF Overlord
12-06-2005, 08:48 AM
I talked with a guy at work who refinishes office furniture, and he said "no, don't use it, it's just nail polish remover, and it will eat through the laquer finish.That's correct...nail polish remover is primarily acetone...and it will eat through the laquer finish. Don't ask me how I know this.

Mike Poore
12-06-2005, 08:50 AM
His advice is to let it harden for a few days, then try to pick it off with a needle, or, pin.

I'm with Mac, do NOT use solvents.

Try this: First apply some furnature wax/polish to the area, then use the corner of a piece of ice directly in the center of the drip, for a few seconds. While the water's still on the table, use a single edge razor blade and carefully push it under and through the edge of the glue drop. It will either lift, or be cut off. Once you have a flat surface, without digging into the finish, if it's scratched or otherwise damaged, use a small bit of polishing rouge on a felt tip on your Dremmel tool, and very carefully polish the spot.

Haggis
12-06-2005, 09:19 AM
Take the table out side, get some lighter fluid. Squirt lighter fluid onto spot on table, light match. Place match on table. No 'Krazy Glue'.

Rider90
12-06-2005, 09:29 AM
Take the table out side, get some lighter fluid. Squirt lighter fluid onto spot on table, light match. Place match on table. No 'Krazy Glue'.
You forgot marshmallows...:D

dwasson
12-06-2005, 05:45 PM
Water will dissolve CYAs.

Tallboy
12-06-2005, 05:47 PM
Boiling water dripped on the glue will usually liquefy it long enough to get it off the table.

Hope this helps, Tim-see you soon!

Petrograde
12-06-2005, 06:12 PM
a razor blade might work,... if you're very careful.

HwyCruiser
12-06-2005, 06:42 PM
Cover it up with a coaster.

spiders
12-06-2005, 06:54 PM
OK, the nurse at the hospital said that warm water will dissolve super glue.. and it was true on my grandson gluing his hand to his face and his face to the wall... not sure I would try any solvents, but may also try some of the oils for polishing BEFORE putting water on it. Depending on the finish it could cause a "light" spot.

Rider90
12-06-2005, 08:02 PM
This is something I would do...

Petrograde
12-07-2005, 04:03 AM
.. and it was true on my grandson gluing his hand to his face and his face to the wall....

:rofl: that poor kid! but,.. that is a pretty funny image!

Mike Poore
12-07-2005, 04:12 AM
:rofl: that poor kid! but,.. that is a pretty funny image!

Like touching your tongue on a flagpole on the coldest winter day. :eek:

Petrograde
12-07-2005, 04:13 AM
Like touching your tongue on a flagpole on the coldest winter day. :eek:

I triple dog dare you! :P

duhtroll
12-07-2005, 07:10 AM
Take chainsaw and cut that portion out of the table.

Voila.

spiders
12-07-2005, 08:54 AM
I like the chainsaw idea!! heh heh

fastblackmerc
12-07-2005, 09:12 AM
As long as it's an MM coaster!

grampaws
12-07-2005, 09:27 AM
Go to the glue's manufacturer website..they will usually have a
removal/medical help section..goof off works good on marker...
don't know about crazy glue..

SergntMac
12-07-2005, 09:47 AM
OK, the nurse at the hospital said that warm water will dissolve super glue.. and it was true on my grandson gluing his hand to his face and his face to the wall... not sure I would try any solvents, but may also try some of the oils for polishing BEFORE putting water on it. Depending on the finish it could cause a "light" spot. Hey, thanks for solving a little mystery here. I had a leaky "Mr. Coffee" that I tried to repair with Krazy Glue. Kept leaking, so, in the trash it went, but always wondered why I couldn't patch the leak. Now I know, thanks!

Dragcity
12-07-2005, 09:50 AM
Don't forget to let us all know what works on this, and wha the final result is...

Mike Poore
12-07-2005, 11:00 AM
I triple dog dare you! :P

You first!. :neener:

The visual of Ralphie, looking out the school window while the cops and teachers were getting the kid "unstuck" is one of my all time favorites. :laugh:

ap2003
12-07-2005, 07:31 PM
That's correct...nail polish remover is primarily acetone...and it will eat through the laquer finish. Don't ask me how I know this.

I once used acetone to clean my computer keyboard. It took all those pesky letters and numbers right off.

spiders
12-08-2005, 11:08 AM
I once used acetone to clean my computer keyboard. It took all those pesky letters and numbers right off.

that's just too funny...

grampaws
12-08-2005, 01:28 PM
Now that was a kodak moment..:bows: