PDA

View Full Version : Nitto SLICKS anyone???

juno
12-06-2005, 12:43 PM
http://www.nittotire.com/news_detail.asp?id=94

MI2QWK4U
12-06-2005, 01:40 PM
What size would we use on the widened rims?

SergntMac
12-06-2005, 01:53 PM
What size would we use on the widened rims? Ummm....None of them? I see sizes only for 15" wheels right now.

MI2QWK4U
12-06-2005, 06:31 PM
I should have phrased it better, my bad! What sized Drag slick would be comparible to the 305/45/18 nitto? I really dont know anything about slick sizing.

Mike Poore
12-06-2005, 06:49 PM
So, for example: 30.0x10.5-15

That's a 30.0 inch tall tire that's 10.5 inches wide across the tread that fits a 15 inch rim?

or does it fit a 10.5 inch wide 15 inch rim?

It's my guess these tires are for 15 inch rims by design, and engineered to have a certain sidewall distance between the bead and the tread, since they're not cheater slicks, but the real thing.

I guess, if you're running slicks, it's the outside diameter, in this case a 30 inch tire, and the rim width you're interested in, since you're calculating final ratio by tire hight, and not rim hight. :twocents:

CRUZTAKER
12-06-2005, 09:26 PM
30.0x10.5-15

30 = overall diameter
10.5 = sidewall width
15 = wheel size

You'll need to inquire for a particular tire's rim meas. recommendation.

The first thing I thought from just seeing the pic...AND NOT RESEARCHING IT ANY FURTHER...was that I bet it isn't a radial.

That is a big selling point for those who daily drive on them.

SergntMac
12-06-2005, 09:56 PM
Yo, guys...Before we spend anymore time on these tires, look again at the sizes.

These are tires aimed at Top Fuel rails, Altered Gassers, Pro Stock classes and other full-time race stuff, K?

But, you're welcome to debate...Carry on.

DEFYANT
12-06-2005, 11:10 PM
Yo, guys...Before we spend anymore time on these tires, look again at the sizes.

These are tires aimed at Top Fuel rails, Altered Gassers, Pro Stock classes and other full-time race stuff, K?

But, you're welcome to debate...Carry on.

Ummmm, Neato :)

Mike Poore
12-07-2005, 04:41 AM
[quote=CRUZTAKER]30.0x10.5-15
10.5 = sidewall width
quote]

You're saying, the distance between the bead, or rim width, right? In this example, a 15 x 10.5 rim?

No debate here, just trying to understand the concept.

It's seems that these are not intended to be used as street tires, but would go, in Barry's case, on his rear hitch carrier, and get installed at the strip, then taken off for the return trip.

As said before, careful selection of tire hight would be the prime consideration, and not rim size, since rear carrier unit changes at the strip would be difficult.

Except for a few instances, Marty comes to mind, it seems these slicks would be of little interest to most of us, and use of cheater slicks on modified rims would work, in most cases.

However, there's the cascade of events that Dennis has addressed in the past; that being, whether the drive shaft, axles & hub/lugs would stand the stress.

Perhaps, getting hooked up that well, might be more fun that we'd want to have.:burn: