PDA

View Full Version : Parrots - May need a home - advice needed

CRUZTAKER
12-09-2005, 09:41 AM
I trust the folks here in our forum. That's why I am presenting this dilemna to you.

My Grandfather has cared for two South American Conures for nearly 25 years. The birds were bought for me, but I never had a suitable enviroment for them. Therefore, they have always lived at grandpas house.

Grandpa is struggling with cancer. His health is not good. It saddens me to say that his future does not look good. Treatments are not working as expected.

I am at the point that I need to plan for the future of these birds. I would gladly move them to my place, but poor bastard I am, I do not heat our old farm house as to what would be needed to keep these birds healthy over the winter months. They would not fare well at my place.

I called the bird curator at the Cleveland public zoo, and although they do not take birds in, they provided me a contact with a Cleveland organization that adopts birds. I left a message with them.

I have a real bad feeling passing these birds off to someone I do not know.

I AM NOT READY TO MAKE A MOVE YET. IF / WHEN GRANDPA FINDS OUT i CANNOT KEEP THEM, HE WILL BE REALLY BUMMED. I AM JUST LOOKING AT MY OPTIONS AT THIS TIME.

I know we have bird people on this site. I am wondering if someone would be interested in adopting? The key to this adoption is that these two 25 year old birds have been together since day one. They are siblings. I believe in my heart that they would not fare well if separated.

We have two large cages. We just purchased one of those new powder coated HUGE cages that ran grandpa nearly $1000. The old cage is fine, just...old. The new cage is still new. I would hate to just GIVE away such an expensive item, but how does one handle such an issue? He hasn't even moved them into it full time yet. The birds are tagged, healthy, but not so people friendly.

Any suggestions...ideas...interest s...?

BTW: I always said I would take these birds to Key West and set them free when Grandpa passed...but after some thought about the fact that these birds have NEVER foraged for food on their own...I think I would be doing them a bad way and basically signing their death certificate.:depress:

spiders
12-09-2005, 09:51 AM
See PM - I have hawks, they do not mix, sorry
Called Emily, she said to shoot her an email, she'd be more than happy to assist, and will help make sure it is a good home. She has a pair too, and is very involved in the community of parrot people.

MarauderMarc
12-09-2005, 10:06 AM
You have a PM...

Haggis
12-09-2005, 10:10 AM
See PM - I have hawks, they do not mix, sorry
Called Emily, she said to shoot her an email, she'd be more than happy to assist, and will help make sure it is a good home. She has a pair too, and is very involved in the community of parrot people.
What kind of hawks do you have? Pics?

Sorry for the Hijack Barry and sorry I can not help you. I had a Cockatoo one time, it was handraised and weaned with my help. I found out at the time I was not able to provide and devote the time it takes to raise a bird like that and felt very bad in returning it to the people that I had gotten it from.

spiders
12-09-2005, 10:24 AM
What kind of hawks do you have? Pics?

Sorry for the Hijack Barry and sorry I can not help you. I had a Cockatoo one time, it was handraised and weaned with my help. I found out at the time I was not able to provide and devote the time it takes to raise a bird like that and felt very bad in returning it to the people that I had gotten it from.

I blew off a hunt this sunday to go to Baltimore to meet CAM... should have heard the hawking crew, they couldn't believe it!
Anyway, pics will be forth coming shortly, have to get some newer ones.. here's last spring's final hunt pic for VA
http://vafalconry.swva.net/images/WinchGroup.gif

teamrope
12-09-2005, 10:35 AM
That is a bummer Barry. My blue front would not take to adding more birds to the household. She is kinda jealouse and very demanding.:(

teamrope
12-09-2005, 10:39 AM
I blew off a hunt this sunday to go to Baltimore to meet CAM... should have heard the hawking crew, they couldn't believe it!
Anyway, pics will be forth coming shortly, have to get some newer ones.. here's last spring's final hunt pic for VA
http://vafalconry.swva.net/images/WinchGroup.gif
Where's Waldo?:confused: :)

Looks like you had fun.

spiders
12-09-2005, 10:42 AM
"waldo" is hiding in the back, third from right. Sorry, we aprentices are in the background this round...

Is that flames on a MM??? Does it blend well, can only see an angle there...

teamrope
12-09-2005, 11:19 AM
"waldo" is hiding in the back, third from right. Sorry, we aprentices are in the background this round...

That is the only angle they really "pop out", and it has to be in full sun. Otherwise they are really hard to see.

spiders
12-09-2005, 11:30 AM
Interesting. Gold pearl paint?

Haggis
12-09-2005, 12:12 PM
:Offtopic:

***WARNING***

Remember this thread was about birds.

Dr Caleb
12-09-2005, 12:24 PM
Any suggestions...ideas...interest s...?

You could look for breeders in your area. They would be given a good home, but not nessecerally a loving home. They'd be cared for, but perhaps not loved.

If you're stuck, I can take them. I've got two Nenday Conures now, about 15 years old. Their life expectancy is about 35 years, so yours would need a home for 10 years or so. My two have a fairly large cage, 2' X 4' X 4', and I play with them daily, so two more wouldn't be that big a deal.

The logistics would be tough though. Importing them into Canada and all . . .but do-able.

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=17 84&d=1070939267

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=6612

mpearce
12-09-2005, 12:32 PM
Barry,

Please call me. My family adpoted a Yello Naped Amazon 10 years ago. His name is Paco...and he's quite the personality. He's done fantastically since. Plus...being local has it's advantages. You have my number.

-Mat