PDA

View Full Version : Daily drivers

Eric91Z
12-13-2005, 08:33 AM
OK, if you don't drive your MM year round, especially in the winter, I am wondering what you use? I especially want to hear from those of you that have a little bit of a commute each day.

In retrospect, I kind of wish I would have been able to keep the Accord to drive in the winter, but it just didn't work at the time. I will end up driving it through this winter, and of course all next year, but thinking about something else to get for a winter driver. Just because I will be putting 25,000+ miles on it per year otherwise. If I could park it for 3-4 months through the winter, that would help keep the miles off it so there are not too many on it by the time I can put a S/C on it, then I would be happy. Also, this winter has given a lot of snow and ice and in turn lots of sand and ice on the road. Just don't want to eat the paint, etc up with that each winter.

Any input appreciated.

mcb26
12-13-2005, 08:45 AM
I alternate between my Marauder and a 94 F150 every other week. Daily commute 50 miles round trip. Marauder is cheaper to drive,even with hi-test. The F150 is better in bad weather. Put a piece of plywood in front of the radiator of the truck in winter to keep from freezing to death.

Bluerauder
12-13-2005, 08:50 AM
OK, if you don't drive your MM year round, especially in the winter, I am wondering what you use? I especially want to hear from those of you that have a little bit of a commute each day.

Any input appreciated.
I do drive my MM every day year round. My daily commute is about 20 miles each way. :D The main roads get treated here pretty well rather quickly. If it is "too bad", I just stay home and play. :rolleyes:

Dragcity
12-13-2005, 08:51 AM
Try looking for a mid 90's Lincoln Town Car. They are usually pretty cheap and offer a nice ride and the room we are used to.

gohogs
12-13-2005, 10:26 AM
I bought a 2000 CVPI to use since I got rid of my truck. Installed a trailer hitch that I really didn't want to put on the MM. Since you're in Iowa, Kansas City isn't that far. You might want to look at this site:

http://www.kcpolicecars.com/crown.asp

merc6
12-13-2005, 10:57 AM
snow tires on the MM and the 6 is being stripped of aftermarket parts for sale. Would keep the 6 for daily driver but it burns more gas than the MM! To and from work is almost 20 miles round trip. How long it takes for me to get in and out of D.C. differs tho.

Eric91Z
12-13-2005, 12:02 PM
Thanks for the replies, guys. Some of this is what I was already thinking off. I would love an '03+ CVPI if it wasn't completely trashed, then I could just use my current CVPI wheels and winters tires on it.

Don't get me wrong. I get to and from work just fine so far this winter with the snow and ice we have had. But I hate being behind other vehicles when they are kicking up sand and stuff on the roads from what they put down on the snow. And they use that salt-brine pre-snow stuff on the roads, too, that is just a plain mess.

I definitely don't want to go back to something small like the Accord and I used to have a '95 Ford F150 that I cummuted in and that was tiring. I want something comfortable, roomy, and safe. I like the idea of a mid-'90's Town Car. I actually like that body style (wife doesn't) and they can be picked up pretty cheap and you can put A LOT of miles on them with minimal maintenance (except the rear air bags). And the room would be nice and so would the ride.

I do about 100 miles round trip each day. I would be fine getting the MM out at times during the winter and would probably drive it all spring, summer, and fall. It is just too much fun. This is not a matter of finding something for better gas mileage, just something else to drive to keep from putting miles on the MM.

And I do have a whole list of the places that have ex-cop cars. There is that one in KC and another good one in Wisconsin. The Wisconsin place will fix body damage and interior stuff prior to sale. I don't want a complete rat of a car to drive. Still have to look OK... :D

The other thing we have thought about is I drive this for the next couple years until the Five Hundred is paid off and then I drive that and the wife gets the new SUV/Truck that she wants. The original plan was to trade that off anyway when paid off for something she wants - full size truck or SUV (4x4 - Navigator, F150, Mark LT).

Leadfoot281
12-13-2005, 10:36 PM
The local papers here always seem to have at least one 87-91 Crown Vic/Grand Marquis. I always get one for the winter. Sometimes I get a year or two out of them (and I never pay more than $400 for one, even a nice one).

The '89 is the best year in my opinion. No air ride suspension problems(1990 up), and no half electronic carburetor. (My '89 squad car has the variable venturi carb, on a 351w). My other 89 has the 5.0. which is much nicer.

The original owners were almost always old timers that maintained them well. The 5.0 will go for ever. The AOD's sometimes hunt between D and OD, but that just means that the trannys got 25k miles left in it.

Roomy.
Great power.
Highway gears, fuelie 5.0 and 150k miles = 25mpg!
Rear drive for great donuts.
Ford V-8 power.
Even the local "tuners" fear it!

What's not to like? Plus my MM stays low milage and rust free too.

merc6
12-14-2005, 12:28 AM
oh she gets washed at least once a week so salt doesn't build up on her.

Eric91Z
12-16-2005, 08:38 AM
Found the place in Wisconsin that I always thought had pretty good ex-cop cars for sale. They are a little pricier than some of the other places, but they seem to put a little more in their cars than others do before re-selling. Biggest problem is so many of them have the vinyl rear seats. Then again, it would just be a winter beater and probably not something the entire family would ride in much.

http://www.usedcopcars.com/store.htm

gpfarrell
12-16-2005, 09:17 AM
Found the place in Wisconsin that I always thought had pretty good ex-cop cars for sale. They are a little pricier than some of the other places, but they seem to put a little more in their cars than others do before re-selling. Biggest problem is so many of them have the vinyl rear seats. Then again, it would just be a winter beater and probably not something the entire family would ride in much.

http://www.usedcopcars.com/store.htm

Couldn't be hard to swap out the rear seat... they're always perfect in the junkyards... it's the fronts that are generally hard to find in good shape.

Eric91Z
12-16-2005, 09:48 AM
Couldn't be hard to swap out the rear seat... they're always perfect in the junkyards... it's the fronts that are generally hard to find in good shape.

That or just just put a blanket on it or something. Like I said, it would just be a winter beater, not the family car.

I found these on their site, too:

http://www.usedcopcars.netobjectsmatr ix.com/955496.html

Higher mileage cars, but look pretty clean. This would be a great winter beater. Clean, straight, great platform to rack the miles up on and the higher miles drops the price a couple thousand from their normal prices. Too bad they are not 2003+ so I could re-use the current winter wheel/tire setup.

Oh well. Guess I will have to keep my eye on that site again. The Marauder gets around great so far this winter, but I would really prefer to park it to avoid the winter wear and tear on the car.

Jon01
12-16-2005, 04:09 PM
I've had to drive mine the past week since I loaned the g/f my beater after her car took a dump...it's done well enough through the snow and stuff. I hate having to do it, but it gets washed every other day.
Was that you I saw on 235 last night?

Eric91Z
12-16-2005, 04:14 PM
I've had to drive mine the past week since I loaned the g/f my beater after her car took a dump...it's done well enough through the snow and stuff. I hate having to do it, but it gets washed every other day.
Was that you I saw on 235 last night?

Jon,

Are you in Des Moines? Was probably not me. I was at work until 7:30pm last night and then go home North out of town on highway 141.

ex00p71
12-16-2005, 04:20 PM
I got my car from Cheyka motors, and the only problem I had with them then is that their website was not updated very frequently but that might have changed by now. My car was in really nice shape and the only problem with it I didn't notice until a couple months later was that it had a bent front spindle.

Eric91Z
12-16-2005, 10:27 PM
I got my car from Cheyka motors, and the only problem I had with them then is that their website was not updated very frequently but that might have changed by now. My car was in really nice shape and the only problem with it I didn't notice until a couple months later was that it had a bent front spindle.

I did speak to them a couple of times a couple years ago when I thought I was going to get a CVPI. They seemed like one of the best places for used CVPI cars. Yes, the website was a little behind what was actually in stock at the time.

DEFYANT
12-16-2005, 10:53 PM
I am lucky enough to have an unmarked 04 CVPI with the executive package as a company car. The MM only comes out once in a while these days.

Leadfoot281
12-16-2005, 11:25 PM
I've owned several CVPI's and I won't buy another. The last one nearlly killed me. I was traveling about 35mph when the right upper ball joint broke. The car landed on the bumper. The left rear tire was actually two inches off the ground. Thirty minutes earlier, I was doing 75 mph through a twisty rural "track".

The front tires had nice even wear on them. Just a bit of play in the steering wheel. I even had a local shop (Ford dealer) look at the front end right after I bought it. They didn't see anything wrong with it.

The spot light, "calibrated" 140 mph speedo, fat sway bars, and gauge package are neat things, but so is arriving alive.

That car had just 119k on it. And God only knows how many hours it spent idelling. Just my 2cents.

DEFYANT
12-17-2005, 12:19 AM
I have seen just about everything that can go wrong with the CVPIs and never heard the balljoint problem you mentioned. That must have scared the crap outta you.

As far as idling, they idle alot. But the maintenance is first rate.

You really have to shop around. 100K miles on an inner city CVPI is not comparable to 100K miles on a County highway car or a command staff "commuter" car.

Jon01
12-17-2005, 11:54 AM
Jon,

Are you in Des Moines? Was probably not me. I was at work until 7:30pm last night and then go home North out of town on highway 141.

Yep, I live in DM. Was wondering if it was you, it was Silver Birch with steelies around 8:00...I haven't seen another one around, guess there are at least 2. Never saw many Marauders until I got one, now I see them quite a bit. Haven't run across a DTR yet tho.

Eric91Z
12-17-2005, 01:03 PM
Yep, I live in DM. Was wondering if it was you, it was Silver Birch with steelies around 8:00...I haven't seen another one around, guess there are at least 2. Never saw many Marauders until I got one, now I see them quite a bit. Haven't run across a DTR yet tho.

Nope, wouldn't have been me. I know there is (or was - if he got rid of it) a Black '03 from the Ankeny area that runs steelies in the winter.

I spend very little time on 235 any more. Either 35 to Ames, 35/80 on the North side of town, or 141. Will be out on 80 East as start a new job at work that will have me out that way instead of Urbandale.

Jon01
12-17-2005, 01:20 PM
Nope, wouldn't have been me. I know there is (or was - if he got rid of it) a Black '03 from the Ankeny area that runs steelies in the winter.

I spend very little time on 235 any more. Either 35 to Ames, 35/80 on the North side of town, or 141. Will be out on 80 East as start a new job at work that will have me out that way instead of Urbandale.

Actually, that was probably the guy that had mine prior, he lived up there and ran steelies.
I've seen a couple black ones around, one in Johnston and another that was filthy :( a month or so ago over on the East side.
I too avoid 235 whenever possible, so much easier to go out around town than hassle cutting through the middle.

Eric91Z
12-17-2005, 04:02 PM
Actually, that was probably the guy that had mine prior, he lived up there and ran steelies.
I've seen a couple black ones around, one in Johnston and another that was filthy :( a month or so ago over on the East side.
I too avoid 235 whenever possible, so much easier to go out around town than hassle cutting through the middle.

So he sold it? Does yours have around 80,000 or so miles on it? I think that is what he said it had. Last time I talked to him a couple months ago he said he was going to sell and get something else. Mostly highly miles as he drove it all over for his job? I think his name was Jason or something like that?

Leadfoot281
12-17-2005, 04:26 PM
I have seen just about everything that can go wrong with the CVPIs and never heard the balljoint problem you mentioned. That must have scared the crap outta you.

As far as idling, they idle alot. But the maintenance is first rate.

You really have to shop around. 100K miles on an inner city CVPI is not comparable to 100K miles on a County highway car or a command staff "commuter" car.

Agreed! I was glad the car had the plastic mat in it instead of carpet. The car literally teeter-tottered on two wheels after it ground to halt on the front bumper. Made me real "gun shy" about old squad cars. You never know if the one you're looking at was just featured on Worlds Wildest Police Video's.

An old Fire Cheifs/Command staff car would be a better choice IMHO. P71 without the severe service of the typical squad car. Buyer beware.....

jgc61sr2002
12-17-2005, 05:19 PM
When looking at used PD vehicles look for the ones used by Detectives or as stated above not used for routine patrol.

Eric91Z
12-19-2005, 11:14 AM
I bought a 2000 CVPI to use since I got rid of my truck. Installed a trailer hitch that I really didn't want to put on the MM. Since you're in Iowa, Kansas City isn't that far. You might want to look at this site:

http://www.kcpolicecars.com/crown.asp

Wow, just checking out this website as I had not been on there for quite some time and they seem to have a bigger, better selection of cars at better pricing than the place in Wisconsin. Will need to watch this site for a new daily driver for next winter.