PDA

View Full Version : Marauder cousin

Bradley G
12-15-2005, 05:35 AM
I bought a car, to replace the '97 E-150 conversion van, that is about to roll 100K.
It is an 2002 GMQ LSE.
Or Grand Marquis W/ HPP package.
I am having the seat heaters installed cause I have been spoiled with them on the MM.
I would like to change the open differential to locking axle.
I am going to pull the stop pin on the seat track.
Probably should leave it alone(performance wise), but sometimes, I can't help myself.
Tips, would really look nice, too!
This is how the trouble started with the Marauder.
"Just some gears and tuning":rolleyes:
What do these cars run stock? 3.55 gear? right?
Feels pretty close to the stock MM until high rpms.
Hole shots are no problem with one wheel drive.
Seems lame though, to leave only one stripe.

CBT
12-15-2005, 05:45 AM
Seems lame though, to leave only one stripe. Amen, single stripes are for moto-cycles.

Eric91Z
12-15-2005, 05:46 AM
Bradley,

Nice ride there. With it being an LSE does it have a center console like the CV Sport? I think they actually came with a 3.23 gear for the HPP package, but supposedly the SOHC motor has a little more low end torque than the MM DOHC. I have heard that the Marauder airbox/MAF, tuning, pulleys, and possibly gears (if you want) will wake the car up.

I have heard if you go with 3.73 or 4.10 gears that you need to do tranny tailshaft extension and balanced driveshaft. I always thought the 3.55 gears from the Marauder, with a limited slip, would be nice to put in there. But then for the price of gears, mine as well get some new Ford 3.55's to be safe.

Would be an OK daily driver then.

JMan
12-15-2005, 05:48 AM
Very, very nice car. If it an LSE (Center console and 5 pass seating.), more rare than a Marauder! HPP cars have 3.27 open diff. There is a very noticeable drop in power when you hit second gear and the torque convertor locks up. My car has a horrible sag at that point whereas a MM just powers right through (I'm working on that with my car.). But for a daily driver, you couldn't get a better car for the price. Just as long as it doesn't have the old fogie gold trim treatment and the carriage top! Thousands of Marquis in Florida with the "fuglies". The max body on frame luxury on the market without feeling like a yacht, outside of a Marauder of course!!!

Congrats,
J

P.S. Could we see a pic, maybe?

SteveS
12-15-2005, 05:56 AM
An '02 HPP would have 3.27 gears. There is lots of info on specs and mods on CVN...

Bradley G
12-15-2005, 06:10 AM
I couldn't agree more!:D
Amen, single stripes are for moto-cycles.

Rider90
12-15-2005, 06:11 AM
Congrats on the new ride Brad!

Bradley G
12-15-2005, 06:15 AM
Thanks for the kind reply Eric.
Yes it is a five seater.
I love the buckets, and the chrome gear selector/bezel.
The mods I do, will probably be reletively inexpensive for a while.
Thanks for the info.

Bradley,

Nice ride there. With it being an LSE does it have a center console like the CV Sport? I think they actually came with a 3.23 gear for the HPP package, but supposedly the SOHC motor has a little more low end torque than the MM DOHC. I have heard that the Marauder airbox/MAF, tuning, pulleys, and possibly gears (if you want) will wake the car up.

I have heard if you go with 3.73 or 4.10 gears that you need to do tranny tailshaft extension and balanced driveshaft. I always thought the 3.55 gears from the Marauder, with a limited slip, would be nice to put in there. But then for the price of gears, mine as well get some new Ford 3.55's to be safe.

Would be an OK daily driver then.

Bradley G
12-15-2005, 06:16 AM
Thanks pal!
It's your favorite color!
Congrats on the new ride Brad!

Bradley G
12-15-2005, 06:20 AM
LOL JMan~
No carriage roof yet!:P
What are you doing about the lag?
Transmission management is stiffeling just like the MM was.
I have not taken any pics yet.
There was a small crease on both doors on the passenger side, Our body shop is painting it today.( It was prepped in the paint booth when I left yesterday).
For now I turn off the OD button.
Very, very nice car. If it an LSE (Center console and 5 pass seating.), more rare than a Marauder! HPP cars have 3.27 open diff. There is a very noticeable drop in power when you hit second gear and the torque convertor locks up. My car has a horrible sag at that point whereas a MM just powers right through (I'm working on that with my car.). But for a daily driver, you couldn't get a better car for the price. Just as long as it doesn't have the old fogie gold trim treatment and the carriage top! Thousands of Marquis in Florida with the "fuglies". The max body on frame luxury on the market without feeling like a yacht, outside of a Marauder of course!!!

Congrats,
J

P.S. Could we see a pic, maybe?

Bradley G
12-15-2005, 06:26 AM
Thanks Steve!
I was all over the Cvic sites looking around.
Not many LSE's around.
An '02 HPP would have 3.27 gears. There is lots of info on specs and mods on CVN...

JMan
12-15-2005, 06:40 AM
I disconnected the convertor control wire from the tranny end as a test. Wow, what a difference that made on the second gear acceleration. I'm willing to bet that'll cut three tenths on the 1/4. I've only run near sixteen flat with my car stock. Traction is a huge issue on the racetrack. If I tried to do a burnout on the street, it just hooks and pushes you into the seat. At the track, with the one wheel wonder, it pushes the rear of the car to the right - hard. Part of that is my inexperience drag racing, but what the heck? I've read of other HPP cars running 15.5's stock - very respectable for a car that massive. I'll report the results of my torque convertor tests after the next SSM meet at Bradenton. I'm going to put a toggle switch in for the convertor so I can turn it on/off on demand. This is not a recommended proceedure for the average guy because it sets tranny codes and on the second trip turns on the Check Engine light. I have scan tools to get around that problem whereas most don't. Best of luck with your new ride, although it's not a MM, it will save the wear and tear, salt and sand, door dings, etc. on your other car. You'll get lots of compliments on such a beautiful car as well. I'd be willing to bet for what you paid for it you could've had what? . . A Camry? . . . A LeSabre? . . . An Altima? Congrats on picking up a real car!

J

Eric91Z
12-15-2005, 06:49 AM
If we don't decide to keep the wife's Ford Five Hundred when it is paid off for me to use as a daily driver, I am thinking I will try to go the GM LSE, CV HPP, or CV LX Sport route for a daily driver. I would prefer the GM LSE or LX Sport just for the console, bucket seats, console shifter, and cup holders.

For the time being will just have to do some car swapping with the wife and drive the Five Hundred more to help keep miles off the MM.

Bradley G
12-15-2005, 06:54 AM
Thanks for the info.
Doesn't suprise me the ET's being close to that of the MM.
The wheel breaks loose on 1-2 shift and 3-2 downshift.
Both family Panthers are daily drivers!:burnout:
I bought the car for average wholesale, Including the body repair, new tires and bun warmers for the front seats.
I looked at many on line sources, E-bay, cars.com, autotrader, etc.
There are very few handleing/performance packaged panthers around, and nobody differentiated between LS and LSE models.:confused:
I don't like the size of the interiors on imports.
Me too big for that!
I disconnected the convertor control wire from the tranny end as a test. Wow, what a difference that made on the second gear acceleration. I'm willing to bet that'll cut three tenths on the 1/4. I've only run near sixteen flat with my car stock. Traction is a huge issue on the racetrack. If I tried to do a burnout on the street, it just hooks and pushes you into the seat. At the track, with the one wheel wonder, it pushes the rear of the car to the right - hard. Part of that is my inexperience drag racing, but what the heck? I've read of other HPP cars running 15.5's stock - very respectable for a car that massive. I'll report the results of my torque convertor tests after the next SSM meet at Bradenton. I'm going to put a toggle switch in for the convertor so I can turn it on/off on demand. This is not a recommended proceedure for the average guy because it sets tranny codes and on the second trip turns on the Check Engine light. I have scan tools to get around that problem whereas most don't. Best of luck with your new ride, although it's not a MM, it will save the wear and tear, salt and sand, door dings, etc. on your other car. You'll get lots of compliments on such a beautiful car as well. I'd be willing to bet for what you paid for it you could've had what? . . A Camry? . . . A LeSabre? . . . An Altima? Congrats on picking up a real car!

J

JMan
12-15-2005, 06:57 AM
"Identical Cousins . . . You could lose your mind!"
Here's a pic of jimlam56 and my car when we met at Thanksgiving. Sorry for promoting the Patty Duke Show:puke: .

J

Hotrauder
12-15-2005, 07:06 AM
Brad have fun with your new daily driver. I smell mods coming already. these bad guys just won't stop. Dennis:D

RoyLPita
12-15-2005, 07:39 AM
Congrats on your new ride. Rick-n-Miami sold his to get his MM.

SergntMac
12-15-2005, 08:03 AM
Brad, I have an Auburn High Performance differential, limited slip, 28 spline hanging out in my garage, looking for something to do. Interested? Give me a call.

merc6
12-15-2005, 08:26 AM
grandmarquis.net but seems to not me working :( So......how long till you break down and s/c it? With me it starts with the New car scent tree airfreshener and goes downhill from there.

Hack Goby
12-15-2005, 08:46 AM
Bradley,Nice ride and there are aftermarket stuff for your 2V.I got a best of 15.37 out of my LX Sport on a cold day at Milan with only Flowmaster 40`s so there is something to think about.Damn I miss that car. http://home.comcast.net/~hack_goby/avic.jpg

jimlam56
12-15-2005, 03:59 PM
"Identical Cousins . . . You could lose your mind!"
Here's a pic of jimlam56 and my car when we met at Thanksgiving. Sorry for promoting the Patty Duke Show:puke: .

J
J;
Thanks for the free pub, but mine kinda dominates the pic!
How about another with yours front and center?
BTW, I guess you're the smart one and I'm the ditzy one??:lol:
Jim

Eric91Z
12-15-2005, 04:04 PM
Hey you go Brad: :D

http://www.allen-superchargers.com/

Glenn
12-15-2005, 05:20 PM
Maybe someone can help me in Atlanta. I am looking for a GM LSE or a CV LX Sports both with the HPP package. I have too many miles on my MM and want to buy a daily commuter. These models are very rare around here. I cannot find any. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Glenn

Eric91Z
12-15-2005, 05:39 PM
Maybe someone can help me in Atlanta. I am looking for a GM LSE or a CV LX Sports both with the HPP package. I have too many miles on my MM and want to buy a daily commuter. These models are very rare around here. I cannot find any. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Glenn

Same thing around here. When I was looking, I would have had to travel to get one. Just like I had to do with the Marauder.

JMan
12-16-2005, 05:01 AM
J;
Thanks for the free pub, but mine kinda dominates the pic!
How about another with yours front and center?
BTW, I guess you're the smart one and I'm the ditzy one??:lol:
Jim

First of all, my car is lame compared to yours. No one wants to see a pic of a Vic. And secondly, you're not the ditz, you bought a Marauder. That speaks volumes!

J

You left out this smilie in your reply - :stupid:

Rider90
12-16-2005, 06:36 AM
Brad, IMHO, keep it slow and comfy :D

SteveS
12-16-2005, 09:49 AM
If he wants slow and comfy, he should buy a box!

bugsys03
12-16-2005, 02:57 PM
Brad, I have an Auburn High Performance differential, limited slip, 28 spline hanging out in my garage, looking for something to do. Interested? Give me a call.

I have a 3.55 ring and pinion laying around and stock MM shaft. Dont know if the stock gears will work with the Auburn setup or not though.

Mike M
12-16-2005, 03:32 PM
Being "king of the one liners" sucks, get a posi!

Bradley G
12-16-2005, 08:41 PM
Thanks Dennis!
I was hoping, to keep it the wifes' Dailey driver.

Brad have fun with your new daily driver. I smell mods coming already. these bad guys just won't stop. Dennis:D

Bradley G
12-16-2005, 08:47 PM
Thanks Mac!
I'm a bit stuck this second.
I still think we should have a swap meet at the shop this winter.
Maybe I could swindle you out of it for something?:D

Bradley G
12-16-2005, 08:51 PM
That is not in the short range plans.
But,... then again , niether was putting a S/C on the Marauder.:cool4:
grandmarquis.net but seems to not me working :( So......how long till you break down and s/c it? With me it starts with the New car scent tree airfreshener and goes downhill from there.

Bradley G
12-16-2005, 08:56 PM
Knock it off, Hack!
Nice pic!
I was all set to get an '04 C-vic Sport, two years ago today.
That is how all this got started, with me.

Bradley,Nice ride and there are aftermarket stuff for your 2V.I got a best of 15.37 out of my LX Sport on a cold day at Milan with only Flowmaster 40`s so there is something to think about.Damn I miss that car. http://home.comcast.net/~hack_goby/avic.jpg

Bradley G
12-16-2005, 08:58 PM
My wife hates you for this, Eric!:lol:
Hey you go Brad: :D

http://www.allen-superchargers.com/

Bradley G
12-16-2005, 09:03 PM
That is why I made the move on this car.
I have always liked the look, and the(my) kids all learn to drive in Panthers at school.

Thanks,

Glenn

Bradley G
12-16-2005, 09:06 PM
I have gears, sell me on the driveshaft.
Is it better than the stock one?
I have a 3.55 ring and pinion laying around and stock MM shaft. Dont know if the stock gears will work with the Auburn setup or not though.

Bradley G
12-16-2005, 09:08 PM
Point noted, Big Boss!
Being "king of the one liners" sucks, get a posi!