PDA

View Full Version : Fusion, Milan, Zephyr what's the deal?

Bowman9
12-17-2005, 04:48 PM
Okay are these three cars (Fusion, Milan, Zephyr) all the same, only rebadged as Ford, Mercury, Lincoln?
From the commercials I have seen they all look to have same body with different front and rear fasia, is this the case?
If they are all basically the same car what is the ensentive to buy the Lincoln over the Ford or Mercury versions?
I looked on their websites and they all have the same powertrain options.

Wouldn't this be the same as putting different printed labels on the the same Coca-Cola product calling it new and charging more money for it???

I just wish automakers would quit rebadging the same car over and over again unless they had something new to add to it, like a bigger more powerful engine.

Just my $.02 rant.

bigslim
12-17-2005, 06:20 PM
The Fusion is the most basic. It can be optioned out but it still would not have the same level of trim as the Milan. The Milan has a more upscale interior and comes with more standard features. It starts at a higher base price than the Fusion. The Zepher gives Lincoln a lower line entry into the starter luxury market. It has the most features offered and has more standard features. It also has a longer warranty. It is the same thinking that Ford has done with the CV-GM, Five Hundred-Montego, Explorer-Mountaineer. Ford believes Mercury buyers will not buy a Ford. Also, Mercury has always been marketed towards more women than Ford.

merc6
12-17-2005, 09:24 PM
yep a ford version of mazda 6.

Vortex
12-17-2005, 10:35 PM
Earlier in the week I was getting my oil changed at the dealer and they had the Milan and the Zephyr on the showroom floor and I sat in them and checked them out. The Lincoln has a real nice interior but I like the Milan better, it was 23k and looked pretty nice. Great interior and I am a real big guy and had plenty of room in it. It is based on the Mazda 6 but has been made wider and longer and seems a much larger car. Looked real nice all in all.

Two Hawks
12-18-2005, 12:01 AM
The Fusion is the most basic. It can be optioned out but it still would not have the same level of trim as the Milan. The Milan has a more upscale interior and comes with more standard features. It starts at a higher base price than the Fusion. The Zepher gives Lincoln a lower line entry into the starter luxury market. It has the most features offered and has more standard features. It also has a longer warranty. It is the same thinking that Ford has done with the CV-GM, Five Hundred-Montego, Explorer-Mountaineer. Ford believes Mercury buyers will not buy a Ford. Also, Mercury has always been marketed towards more women than Ford.
Good post, bigslim.

Your statement, "Ford believes Mercury buyers will not buy a
Ford.", is quite true for me.

Not only would I not buy a Ford, but I would also, not buy the
"Powered By Ford" coil covers, to put on my Mercury. :D

:sorry: No offense ment, to those that would, or did.

MENINBLK
12-18-2005, 12:27 AM
Okay are these three cars (Fusion, Milan, Zephyr) all the same, only rebadged as Ford, Mercury, Lincoln?
From the commercials I have seen they all look to have same body with different front and rear fasia, is this the case?
If they are all basically the same car what is the ensentive to buy the Lincoln over the Ford or Mercury versions?

Wouldn't this be the same as putting different printed labels on the the same Coca-Cola product calling it new and charging more money for it???

I just wish automakers would quit rebadging the same car over and over again unless they had something new to add to it, like a bigger more powerful engine.

Just my $.02 rant.

I believe the same has been done over the course of many years by...

Cadillac
Buick
Oldsmobile
Pontiac
Chevrolet
Saturn
Toyota

Honda
Acura

Toyota
Lexus

Nissan
Infinity

Volkswagen
Porsche

They share many different platforms and engines/drivetrains,
some across all lines/models, and some across only a few.

The practice is normal....

Breadfan
12-18-2005, 01:47 AM
Platform sharing is normal, I think the concern is that Ford is pulling a GM and not differentiating between models enough.

Case in point was GM in the 80's and early 90's. The Cavalier/Sunbird/and Oh My Gosh Cimmaron - only difference was taillights, headlights, hubcaps and velour cloth.

Part of the reason GM is in such a hole now is that they've always struggled differentiating platforms across brands. They did a relatively good job iwth the Grand Prix/Regal/Impala paltform, but have missed the ball many other times.

All companies do it, just some better than others.

Personally, I like the look of the few Milans that have passed by me on the roads. Looks like a great commuter car, especially a slighty used one once the depreciation hits.

Actually, question - on the Milan commercial it shows the chick driving it and she appears to be shifting gears - what gives, does it have a manual tranny? Even on upscale V6 models?

TripleTransAm
12-18-2005, 01:56 AM
The Cavalier/Sunbird/and Oh My Gosh Cimmaron -

Funny, I thought that was considered a dirty word nowadays. Guess not, if the filter on this board didn't pick it up... so...

guess it's okay to tell someone they are full of Cimarron.

:censor:

merc6
12-18-2005, 02:39 AM
Earlier in the week I was getting my oil changed at the dealer and they had the Milan and the Zephyr on the showroom floor and I sat in them and checked them out. The Lincoln has a real nice interior but I like the Milan better, it was 23k and looked pretty nice. Great interior and I am a real big guy and had plenty of room in it. It is based on the Mazda 6 but has been made wider and longer and seems a much larger car. Looked real nice all in all.Funny you should say that...07 is a redesigned mazda 6 ;) Larger than altima. Ford 3.5L is going in it.

Marauderjack
12-18-2005, 03:59 AM
For $23K you can have a NICE FULL SIZE Crown Vic...Go Figure!!??:argue: :confused:

I don't get the appeal for a smaller more dangerous car with WRONG WHEEL DRIVE??:cool:

Marauderjack:burnout: .........Dang spare cover!!:rolleyes:

Bradley G
12-18-2005, 05:43 AM
Actually, question - on the Milan commercial it shows the chick driving it and she appears to be shifting gears - what gives, does it have a manual tranny? Even on upscale V6 models?{quote}
Hand shaker and an extra pedal on four cylinder only.:P <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

bigslim
12-18-2005, 10:07 AM
I believe that only the four cylinders are available with a stick.

TheDealer
12-18-2005, 10:39 AM
I believe the Zephyr has about 20 more horsepower too.

marauder307
12-18-2005, 01:38 PM
I believe the Zephyr has about 20 more horsepower too.

Not yet, but it will. The plans are to stick a 3.5L in it 6 mos-1 yr down the road.

Have test-driven both a Fusion and a Milan. They're OK, I guess, but only OK. Looks for all the world like a 7/8th scale Lexus IS 300 from the side and rear. All the reviews I've read have been lukewarm positive about the Fusion; they (Motor Trend, Autoweek, etc.) think it's a pretty good car, certainly better than the Taurus it replaces, but they don't think it's going to be enough to stop the hemorraging at FMC.

Personally, I don't think the Taurus was such a bad car....

EDIT: Oh yeah,...and BigSlim's right; the 4-cyl models ARE available with the do-it-yourself gearbox...

TheDealer
12-18-2005, 01:53 PM
The Milan is selling well and so is the Zephyr. I think the price is right. The Milan starts at $18995.00 The Zephyr around $26,000.00 The Milan is smaller than the Taurus. I think the 500 and Montego are more in line with the Taurus. The Montego starts around 25k and goes upto 29k. I've been driving a Montego for a demo for the last 8 months. I've had two of them. I really like the car. Good gas milage, great rear seat leg room and an all around good car. Friends that own Taurus's can't believe the rear seat leg room. I highly recomend this car. Ray

Silver_04
12-18-2005, 03:38 PM

Just my $.02 rant.

I just think Billy Ford has some strange need to make people yawn.

Deep thoughts by Silver_04. Boom...I own page 2.

bigslim
12-18-2005, 05:11 PM
Not yet, but it will. The plans are to stick a 3.5L in it 6 mos-1 yr down the road.

Have test-driven both a Fusion and a Milan. They're OK, I guess, but only OK. Looks for all the world like a 7/8th scale Lexus IS 300 from the side and rear. All the reviews I've read have been lukewarm positive about the Fusion; they (Motor Trend, Autoweek, etc.) think it's a pretty good car, certainly better than the Taurus it replaces, but they don't think it's going to be enough to stop the hemorraging at FMC.

Personally, I don't think the Taurus was such a bad car....

EDIT: Oh yeah,...and BigSlim's right; the 4-cyl models ARE available with the do-it-yourself gearbox...
If I'm not mistakened the Fusion will be offered with the 250hp 3.5 and all wheel drive at a later time. This should make for a decent car. Much better than the heavier Five Hundred that too will be offered with the 3.5 liter engine.

SouLRioT
12-18-2005, 05:27 PM
My roommate has a fusion, nice car. He bought the SEL fully loaded but with the I-4 manual. Ofcourse you should always know how to drive a stick befor you buy one, unlike he did.

Smokie
12-18-2005, 06:24 PM
...Not only would I not buy a Ford, but I would also, not buy the
"Powered By Ford" coil covers, to put on my Mercury. :D

:sorry: No offense meant, to those that would, or did.

None taken....:D
http://www.mercurymarauder.net/showcase/files/2/4/8/TeamFordDynoTune060Small.jpg

fast Ed
12-18-2005, 06:38 PM
In Canada, free scheduled maintenance is included with the price of a new Lincoln for 4 years / 80,000 km (roughly 50,000 miles). I believe the same applies in the U.S. That makes up for at least part of the diffrerence in purchase price between the Lincoln, and the Ford / Mercury models on which it's based.

The sales manager at our dealership has a Zephyr for a demo. Very nice driving car. Tons of rear seat legroom for a car that size too.

cheers
Ed N.

Jerry Barnes
12-18-2005, 06:49 PM
The cars are very nice for the money. Gas mileage is very good, also. The 3.5L 4V will be launched in October 06. We are asking Ford for one of each(Milan/Zephyr and 500/Montego). We are requesting All Wheel Drive versions with the new 3.5L 4V engine. We think we can get an honest 350-400 HP from these engines for these cars. Ford's very interested. I will keep everyone posted on our progress. I personnally feel the Montego can be cool to develop. Slammed, 18"-20" wheels, Intercooled Supercharger, stiffer suspension, redesigned front and rear fascia. Take a look at the Trilogy Motorsports Web Page and wait for the Black Custom Ford 500 picture to display. I think a Montego version could be very cool.

See Ya!

Jerry

Marauder2005
12-18-2005, 08:07 PM

Just my $.02 rant.

Well, why buy the Marauder over the Marquis or the Marquis over the Crown

Vic or the Towncar over the Marquis. There all the same car, but they all

trigger peoples interests depending on what they want.

Redster
12-18-2005, 09:27 PM
I read somewhere that all three are due to be hy-brids when Ford gets enough parts.

Redster
12-18-2005, 09:29 PM
just out of curiosity, why are are you building supercharged cars rather than turbo cars? Cost? Performance?

Bowman9
12-18-2005, 11:49 PM
Well, why buy the Marauder over the Marquis or the Marquis over the Crown
Vic or the Towncar over the Marquis. There all the same car, but they all
trigger peoples interests depending on what they want.

This is true the Crown Vic and the Marquis are the same car, but the Marauder came with an additional 60 horsepower over the other two models and that is why I chose the Marauder over the Vic Sport.

But as it stands their are no power differences between the Fusion, Milan, and Zephyr, so my bank account would tell me to buy a Fusion and save up for some nice aftermarket rims.

But then again I am a cheapskate.:D

merc6
12-19-2005, 04:11 AM
just out of curiosity, why are are you building supercharged cars rather than turbo cars? Cost? Performance? Space in engine bay and maybe the way the FWD belts are placed might dictate that.

rookie1
12-19-2005, 06:54 AM
Earlier in the week I was getting my oil changed at the dealer and they had the Milan and the Zephyr on the showroom floor and I sat in them and checked them out. The Lincoln has a real nice interior but I like the Milan better, it was 23k and looked pretty nice. Great interior and I am a real big guy and had plenty of room in it. It is based on the Mazda 6 but has been made wider and longer and seems a much larger car. Looked real nice all in all.

ditto! My first thought on these cars was that if FLM can get Honda Accord and Toyota Camry buyers into FLM showrooms these cars will sell really well. The Milan and Zephyr were well appointed and both had nice interiors.
How they are going to get import buyers into the showrooms for testdrives is another story, but , if they do these cars should be profitable.

Eric91Z
12-19-2005, 08:30 AM
I guess I don't put a whole lot of stock in some of the magazine reviews. They have all been pretty luke warm on the 500, too. But being an owner of the 500, it is a great family car/daily driver. MUCH MORE rear seat, rear door opening, and trunk space than the Marauder. And that is very important when you have a family of 4 that includes a 6 month old in a rear facing, center mounted car seat and stroller that is always in the trunk. Again, my only complaint with the car is off the line power. Other than that, it is a great car.

I really like the styling of the Lincoln Zephyr. I think one of those, with the 3.5L and a Trilogy SC would be a great daily driver and winter car and stop putting the miles on the Marauder. I have yet to drive one or see the interior, but they seem pretty nice.

I believe that the Fusion fits a smaller car than what the Taurus was and the 500 is a little bigger than the Taurus was. Also, I think that the Fusion is rated at like 10-20 more HP than the same motor in the 500. Not sure why that is. Not sure how much if any potential there is in the 3.0L Duratec, but for now it is just a daily driver for the wife, anyway, and is a pretty good car. Even our base SE has a lot to offer for not a lot of money.

bigslim
12-19-2005, 10:38 AM
Here is something funny. Before these cars were introduced Ford took them to California to have people drive them without any badging. The people loved them before they found they were made by Ford. Before they found out most said they would buy them. After they found out the cars were made by Ford they then said they would not buy them.

Bluerauder
12-19-2005, 12:10 PM
I really like the styling of the Lincoln Zephyr.
I have only seen one Lincloln Zephyr and that was on a trip to Los Angeles. Very distinctive look. :D Was at my L-M dealer Saturday and was surprised that they didn't have one on the showroom floor. Couldn't find one in the lot either. They are either selling very well or they have them hidden from view. :rolleyes:

Jerry Barnes
12-19-2005, 08:19 PM
just out of curiosity, why are are you building supercharged cars rather than turbo cars? Cost? Performance?

We looked at Turbo's and Supercharger applications. We had a few criteria we wanted for our cars/trucks :
1. Immediate torque from a dead stop.
2. Avoidance of some Plumbing and Heat issues.
3. Power at low RPM's.
4. Minimize changing other elments of the powertrain(torque converters, etc.) to achieve drivability characteristics we defined.
5. Many of our customers would want daily drivers with auto trans. We felt Intercooled Superchargers were the way to go from our expectations.

Turbos are good and have their place, we just looked at the data and our needs were different then a Turbo could provide.

Jerry