PDA

View Full Version : Cat/Back Exhaust

Ralph Sr.
12-27-2005, 04:17 PM
I recently purchased a 2001 Mercury Grand Marquis with the optional handling package (low miles). It has the dual exhaust, but they're too quiet. Here's some of my ideas...what do you guys think?
1. Will the Marauder exhaust system bolt right on? I love the sound on the Marauder.
2. Cut the exhaust tail pipes, eliminate resinators, and install chrome/stainless steel tips.
Either way will come out right, I believe, because the back facade has cutouts for the exhaust. Thanks for any help or suggestions!
Ralph

:)

Marauder2005
12-27-2005, 05:15 PM
Im not sure it would sound the same due to the GM has the SOHC

16v V8. Im sure It would have a nice sound, just not as mean as

the stock MM. Just my 2c :)

the_pack_rat
12-27-2005, 05:24 PM
I recently purchased a 2001 Mercury Grand Marquis with the optional handling package (low miles). It has the dual exhaust, but they're too quiet. Here's some of my ideas...what do you guys think?
1. Will the Marauder exhaust system bolt right on? I love the sound on the Marauder.
2. Cut the exhaust tail pipes, eliminate resinators, and install chrome/stainless steel tips.
Either way will come out right, I believe, because the back facade has cutouts for the exhaust. Thanks for any help or suggestions!
Ralph

Regarding #2 .....

This will be mostly for SHOW ... don't expect a major increase in sound from tossing the resonators. I did the very same thing on my 97 Town Car(Cartier - duals were standard on them that year) looking for a bit more sound ... & while it did give it some more sound under throttle & load ... it's minimal at most.

Regarding # 1 ......

I wouldn't mind knowing this myself.

While there are times I wish my MM was just a PINCH louder(I have stock exhaust but did away with the resonated tips) ......

I think this sound would be damn near PERFECT for the Town Car ... w/o making it sound too out of character.

Anyone got any stock MM mufflers they took off ... they wanna give up really CHEAP ?.

:P

BTW in terms of increased torque or HP .....

I believe the 2V Panthers are NO different than the MM ..... if you only change stuff out from the cats BACK. The gains will generally only be ones that will be more pleasing to the ear.

Like the MM ... you would need to work your way ALL the way up to the front, to see any real performance gains(high flow cats - headers/ported manifolds etc etc).

SergntMac
12-27-2005, 06:19 PM
2V and 4V engines make completely different sounds, best for you to slide over to CrownVic.net and ask them 2V folks for the same advice. BTW, Megs tips won't clear the rear cover without some triming.

RoyLPita
12-27-2005, 07:36 PM
You could have a muffler shop weld in a set of delete tips in place of the resonators. The echo will amplify the sound even with stock mufflers.

Blackened300a
12-27-2005, 07:47 PM
Anyone got any stock MM mufflers they took off ... they wanna give up really CHEAP ?

PM me. I have them in my garage neatly cut off when I did the muffler swap in my car.

I also have the resonated Marauder tips if you are interested in them too

Rider90
12-27-2005, 07:55 PM
And don't waste your money on the Borla cat-back if they still make it. Don't ask :alone:

AzMarauder
12-27-2005, 08:49 PM
2V and 4V engines make completely different sounds, best for you to slide over to CrownVic.net and ask them 2V folks for the same advice. BTW, Megs tips won't clear the rear cover without some triming.

Is the width of the 4v motor the same as the 2v? I am thinking that the manifolds might be further apart (not that manifolds won't fit but the pipes coming off the manifolds down to the H might be a different width?)

Dennis Reinhart
12-27-2005, 09:44 PM
Ralph

we sell a system for your car give us a call if we can help.