PDA

View Full Version : Help me pick my next project

Warpath
12-29-2005, 11:59 AM
Well, the Cobra is nearing "completion" and I think I'm going to start looking for my next project. I'm keeping the Cobra. I'm looking for an older vehicle - 70s or older - that I can customize. My mind is pretty open to any vehicle. I'm considering everything from '32 pick up to 70-71 GTX to ~61 Lincoln to '49 Merc sled. I don't like rat rods. I do like low trucks though. I'm not a huge fan of the 60s muscle cars except when they are "pro-touring." I need something that is typically in good shape and, if not, has plenty of replacement parts. For example, tri-5 Chevy's have plenty of replacement body parts available. I will be learning bodywork on this car. I've never tried it. I'm looking to spend about $5k give or take to buy a car.

Any suggestions? Pictures would help. Thanks.

TripleTransAm
12-29-2005, 12:03 PM
http://streetrodderweb.com/hotnews/0410sr_ggfirebird02_z.jpg

Eric91Z
12-29-2005, 12:42 PM
I would love to do a '64 or '65 Lincoln Continental project car some day. Something like the one they did on the TLC show RIDES. Gotta love those suicide doors and tons of room and size to roll down the road in.

hitchhiker
12-29-2005, 01:27 PM
Why don't you rescue one of these and restore it?

Regards,

Dave

http://usera.imagecave.com/hitchhiker/69MMHitchhiker.jpg

Rider90
12-29-2005, 03:50 PM
Chevelle :bows:

Warpath
12-30-2005, 01:33 PM
I would love to do a '64 or '65 Lincoln Continental project car some day. Something like the one they did on the TLC show RIDES. Gotta love those suicide doors and tons of room and size to roll down the road in.

That's what I had in mind. But, it seems as though all the ballers (rappers, athletes, etc.) are starting to snatch them up. I would think they are currently overpriced because of it. I haven't looked though.

I'm interested in something that looks killer. I don't like the X100 shown above. That's my personal taste and not a flame. I'm also looking to customize it and not just restore it. So, it may be chopped, channelled, lowered, .... depending on the vehicle.

Anyway, keep the ideas coming guys.

Eric91Z
12-30-2005, 02:29 PM
That's what I had in mind. But, it seems as though all the ballers (rappers, athletes, etc.) are starting to snatch them up. I would think they are currently overpriced because of it. I haven't looked though.

I'm interested in something that looks killer. I don't like the X100 shown above. That's my personal taste and not a flame. I'm also looking to customize it and not just restore it. So, it may be chopped, channelled, lowered, .... depending on the vehicle.

Anyway, keep the ideas coming guys.

Check ebay. They had a couple on there when I looked after I made that post. Reserve not met, but bids around $3000-$4000 for what looked like straight body and interior.

Not sure what I would do for a motor/tranny combo. I would like something like that, but with driveability and ammeneties of a new car - driveability, overdrive tranny, A/C, etc. Something big and cool to cruise in.

MarauderMark
12-30-2005, 03:03 PM
Check ebay. They had a couple on there when I looked after I made that post. Reserve not met, but bids around $3000-$4000 for what looked like straight body and interior.

Not sure what I would do for a motor/tranny combo. I would like something like that, but with driveability and ammeneties of a new car - driveability, overdrive tranny, A/C, etc. Something big and cool to cruise in.

Heres a great one to do..
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=4600382297&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT

Eric91Z
12-30-2005, 03:13 PM
Heres a great one to do..
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=4600382297&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT

That's a nice Olds. I like those older 442's.

jgc61sr2002
12-30-2005, 05:23 PM
That 442 needs some major restoration work.

Warpath
12-31-2005, 12:34 PM

I'm a leary of ebay since I may not be able to see the car in person. I guess I could look locally on ebay. I'm hoping for some advice of what to avoid or what make good project cars. Anyway, I currently thinking about a cruiser and not something really sporty. So, if I did get a Lincoln, I'd probably just put in something like a 5.4 with autotranny out of a truck/SUV at first and carry over the ammeneties like A/C, etc.

SergntMac
12-31-2005, 03:39 PM
I'm interested in something that looks killer...I'm also looking to customize it and not just restore it. So, it may be chopped, channelled, lowered, .... depending on the vehicle. Anyway, keep the ideas coming guys. Hell, Joe, the tear down is done for ya. Chop, channel, tuck, roll, and and french away?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mercury-MARAUDER-MARAUDER-Theft-Recovery-No-Damage-Wrecked-Rebuildable_W0QQitemZ459998272 0QQcategoryZ6882QQrdZ1QQcmdZVi ewItem

Can't tell ya how many times I almost got involved with this auction. Perfect beginning for a true Marauder "Pro Street", but I ended up taking another route. My next project is right here...

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/showcase/showimage.php?i=701&c=3&userid=392

Project "bone stock".

Warpath
01-02-2006, 12:15 PM
It took 12 posts before someone recommended a modern MM. I thought it would come sooner. :) I think I'm going to focus on the Lincoln and the 32 pick up. I can't seem to get either of those out of my mind recently. Also, my grandpa helped design the window mechanisms in the Lincoln doors (that prevent the windows from hitting when the doors are open). I think he would get a kick out of me owning one and he could help repair the widows if necessary. I'm also going to keep my eye open for a kick-ass stationwagon too.

beemer
01-02-2006, 04:24 PM
Can't tell ya how many times I almost got involved with this auction. Perfect beginning for a true Marauder "Pro Street", but I ended up taking another route. My next project is right here...

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/showcase/showimage.php?i=701&c=3&userid=392

Project "bone stock".

LOL "bone stock". Mac, I will have had my Marauder 3 years on Jan 16th.
6800 "bone stock" miles. She still has the original washer fluid as she just doesn't go out in rain, snow or any kind of inclement weather.

In 6800 miles, I have been to St. Thomas Ontario to the Ford plant twice, as well as Dearborn Michigan to Ford's 100th celebration......as well as numerous local car shows.

I'm looking forward to celebrating her 3rd birthday. It's taken LOTS of self-restraint to do this, however my goal is to pay her off (2 more years) and have less than 10K on the clock.

Best,

Paul :D

SteveS
01-02-2006, 11:54 PM
My last project (along with Tallen):

http://www.crownvic.net/sas3/chp8849a.jpg

It was another misrepresented ebay car, but we got it this far, and just have a few things left to do. It has been shown once, and won once. We are trying to decide what to do for our next car.

:party:

Warpath
01-03-2006, 09:44 AM
What was misrepresented?

SteveS
01-03-2006, 12:01 PM
The condition was badly misrepresented. Reading the listing, the car was in great shape. The car was basically a painted shell, compared to how it is now. When we got it, the car needed a lot of mechanical work. A good example was the seller stating: "Brakes stop fine." True, but the brakes were also metal on metal, and obviously had been for a long time. The pictures of the exhaust system stopped just short of the big holes in each muffler. Pictures of the dashboard were taken at just the right angle so you couldn't see all of the holes in the pad. He had nice pictures of the instrument panel and odometer, and listed the mileage, failing to mention that the odometer and temperature gauge were inoperabe. When we got it to Tracy's house, the odometer still read the same as it did in the picture! The wipers were inoperable. The estimate just to get it to pass inspection was about $1,200. The paint was reasonably good, though.

It's tough buying a car that's 3,000 miles away, sight unseen. The shipping cost was just shy of $1,000. We were able to track the car on the shipping company's website. The car had quite a tour of the country on the way out. I think it took about three weeks.

Dave Compson
01-03-2006, 01:10 PM
I have always wanted to have an old chp mustang. That would be a fun project. Getting all the lights, radios, and stuff period correct.

Or, maybe a 1979? CHP camaro? With the shorty shotgun? That would be really different.

SteveS
01-03-2006, 01:26 PM
I'm sure there will be a Mustang in the collection before long. You'd be surprised at how much misinformation is out there for equipment. It is very difficult to find interior shots of "real" cars, and then you have to be able to identify what you are looking at. We were lucky to have a local company to do the graphics for us. We finished putting them on at about 1:00am the morning of the show.

I bought a Remington 870 Express 18.5" to go with this car. It is basically a factory "sawed-off shotgun."

Dave Compson
01-03-2006, 02:47 PM
I hate to hijack this thread, but steves, do you have any more photos of that chp vic?

SteveS
01-03-2006, 03:03 PM
Tallen has a bunch on his Supermotors page...
*click* (http://www.supermotors.org/vehicles/registry/detail.php?id=9708&s=28386#content)

You will see a few pictures of a white car there... that is my Burbank, CA cruiser that we haven't touched yet.

My apologies for contributing to the hijacking...

Sully008
01-03-2006, 03:23 PM
Joe, if you're looking for a wagon to do:

http://www.bluesarthouse.com/fordimages/1977mercury.gif

I grew up in one of these. Ours was a dark metallic blue with the 460 in it. In fact, I learned how to drive in this beast. Needless to say, I can parallel park just about anything. My friend still has the car @ his farm. One of these days I might just have to go back and get it and fully restore it.

Dave Compson
01-03-2006, 03:30 PM
Thank you steves, appreciate it. Wow, lots of great photos.

Warpath
01-03-2006, 05:43 PM
The condition was badly misrepresented. Reading the listing, the car was in great shape. The car was basically a painted shell, compared to how it is now. When we got it, the car needed a lot of mechanical work. A good example was the seller stating: "Brakes stop fine." True, but the brakes were also metal on metal, and obviously had been for a long time. The pictures of the exhaust system stopped just short of the big holes in each muffler. Pictures of the dashboard were taken at just the right angle so you couldn't see all of the holes in the pad. He had nice pictures of the instrument panel and odometer, and listed the mileage, failing to mention that the odometer and temperature gauge were inoperabe. When we got it to Tracy's house, the odometer still read the same as it did in the picture! The wipers were inoperable. The estimate just to get it to pass inspection was about $1,200. The paint was reasonably good, though.

It's tough buying a car that's 3,000 miles away, sight unseen. The shipping cost was just shy of $1,000. We were able to track the car on the shipping company's website. The car had quite a tour of the country on the way out. I think it took about three weeks.

That's why I think I'm going to shop locally. I found a 67 Continental about 2 hours from me on ebay. The pictures look a little too well framed. But, the guy did point out its flaws. He left out pics of the trunk and wheel wells and the engine bay pics were really tight. He said it was clean although I saw rust in the wheel wells. I didn't know these things came with 460s BTW! Anyway, there are no bids yet which is telling me something too.

Sully - I was thinking more like 50s or 60s wagon or older sedan deliveries.

SteveS
01-03-2006, 06:21 PM
I have always been fond of Ford Couriers. You don't see them very often - they aren't overdone like a lot of 50s cars. Luckily, they share a lot of parts with "normal" wagons and sedans. There is one around here that I see at shows occasionally.

Here is a picture of another one that I thieved off the web (It's hard to find them!):

http://www.crownvic.net/sas3/courier.jpg

MarauderMark
01-03-2006, 06:27 PM
How about one of these..:D
http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=83 37&d=1136338052

SteveS
01-03-2006, 06:33 PM
I didn't know these things came with 460s BTW!

Wait a minute... Shouldn't that be a 462? Completely different engine...

Warpath
01-04-2006, 10:25 AM
Yep. The air filter cover shows 4V 462. I assumed it was a 460. I know very little about these cars (and engines for that matter). I just admired them from afar. I'm going to start researching them though.