PDA

View Full Version : The Passing of a Generation

Bluerauder
01-01-2006, 05:45 AM
Yesterday was a sad day for the family. :( My father's sister passed away just before noon. She was the last of my parent's generation that included five aunts and uncles each on my mother and father's sides of the family. Now they are all gone. :bigcry:

My Aunt "Mam" had been in poor health for the past couple months and had recently lost her appetite. She was taken to a hospital in Baltimore and we made a hurried trip there. Unfortunately, we were about an hour late. :depress: Despite our absence, she was surrounded by family and friends and she passed peacefully in her sleep.

She was a car person and I always looked forward to her "new" car every year. I still remember the 1957 Chevy that she had. It was black with the white/silver fins. She was also a lifelong Orioles fan.

Her pain has ended and I am sure that she is now in heaven and enjoying the company of all of the others who have gone before her. :D

The part that I cannot yet fathom is that now --- I am one of the family elders. :rolleyes:

JMan
01-01-2006, 07:04 AM
I'm sorry for your loss. It's now time to step up and be the patriarch you've always been destined to be. As bad as it sounds, this is the 'natural' progression. Those who are most unlucky lose a child, grandchild or neice/nephew before passing. That would be the worst case scenario if you ask me. God bless your remaining family with health and happiness in the forthcoming year. And may God help you embrace your new role. Just remember to reserve some quality time with your car :burnout: .

J

MM2004
01-01-2006, 07:10 AM
May God bless you and your family. Prayers are with you.

Mike.

rayjay
01-01-2006, 10:23 AM
Deepest sympathy on your loss. We are rapidly loosing the greatest generation. Its a shame their admired values/virtues have not fully been assimulated and passed on.

jgc61sr2002
01-01-2006, 12:56 PM
Sorry for your loss. May she rest in peace.

O's Fan Rich
01-02-2006, 07:08 AM
These things are never easy.
My condolences to all who are suffering from this loss.

MarauderMark
01-02-2006, 09:04 AM
Our condolences to you and your famliy on your loss my friend.

Mike Poore
01-02-2006, 09:57 AM
I'm sorry for your loss. It's now time to step up and be the patriarch you've always been destined to be. As bad as it sounds, this is the 'natural' progression. Those who are most unlucky lose a child, grandchild or neice/nephew before passing. That would be the worst case scenario if you ask me. God bless your remaining family with health and happiness in the forthcoming year. And may God help you embrace your new role. Just remember to reserve some quality time with your car :burnout: .

J

Well said, especially the part about realizing we could outlive a child.

Charlie, Barb and my thaughts are with you.

DEFYANT
01-02-2006, 10:01 AM
Hang in there Charlie. Thoughts and prayers with you sir.

Mike Poore
01-02-2006, 10:03 AM
It is a shame that our present corporate-lobbiest-corrupted government takes their
faith and patriotism for granted as it buries those values we were told were very dear
in corporate greed, broken promises, and lies.

I wish we could have another Eisenhower or Truman again
to restore a democracy we could believe in to the USA.

David, could you PLEASE, PLEASE, just this once, keep your political views to yourself. This in NOT about you, and I resent your turning Charlie's family tragety into another one of your political rants.

Really, you need to step back and take a breath.:nono:

Sorry Charlie.

DefyantExWife
01-02-2006, 04:55 PM
Sorry to hear about your Aunt, Charlie.

and I'm apalled at the ignorance going on above me. :nono:

hitchhiker
01-03-2006, 06:51 AM
I appologize to Charlie and all others who I have offended with my posts on this thread. I am sorry to say that I sometimes post more about some things than I should. I am human and I make mistakes too. Best Wishes, David

RCSignals
01-04-2006, 01:34 AM
My condolences on the loss of your Aunt. At least she passed peacefully surrounded by family.

jerrym3
01-04-2006, 01:52 PM
Loosing family always hurts, especially if you remember these folks as middle aged people as you were growing up. (I've lost my mother and her seven brothers/sisters and my father and his brothers/sisters.)

But, it was a lot worse losing my 46 year old cousin (we were close friends in our 20's; even went partners on a used Harley) and his 52 year old brother, both to cancer.

I also found myself to be the senior person at this year's holiday gatherings.

Makes you stop and think.

It may sound corny, but in one of the Eagles songs (Take it Easy) was a line to live by: "You may lose, you may win, but you'll never be here again".