PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here in to Bicycling?

Eric91Z
01-01-2006, 06:13 PM
I was just curious if anyone on here is in to biking as a form of exercise? One of my New Year's Resolutions this year is to lose 25 pounds by next Christmas. And I would like to drop about 30 total and then maintain that weight. Plus, I need some good cardio on a daily basis so I can live a long, healthy life to watch my girls grow up and enjoy life with the wife once they are out of the house.

Anyway, I have never liked running and now that I am even heavier and out of shape, I have problems with knees and shin splints when I try to do any walking or running for exercise purposes.

Anyway, I like biking and know it can be a good source for cardio workout and keep my legs in shape. Then I will be planning on some lighter weight arm, shoulder and body core workouts at home to keep some muscle, but no longer looking to pack big muscle on. Just want to keep some of what I have.

So, wondering if anyone has any recommendations on magazines, websites or personal experience for picking a bike to use for cardio use. I know "off-road" type tires aren't what I am looking at. I do have a bike that was purchased cheaply at K-Mart and is nice for riding around with the family, but will jump the chain under any kind of load (going up hills, etc) and has nobby tires which aren't all that great for longer rides.

I am looking for something that will hold up under my current weight of 245 pounds, last with proper maintenance, but not break the bank to purchase. Maybe something with a strong, but faily light frame, OK components, but could be upgraded if I get in to it more.

Any and all input would be appreciated. Also, so would input on bike computers/trip computer type setups. Hoping to stop by a bike store or 2 tomorrow to check some out. Also, any kind of in-home setups to use the bike inside in the winter?

RoyLPita
01-01-2006, 07:18 PM
I am into bicycling. I don't dress up like Lance Armstrong nor have that kind of bike.
What you could check out are bike shops in your area that might have last years models on clearance. Plus, these shops can measure you for the correct frame size. BTW, My newest mountian bike is a hard tail with cable actuated disc brakes.

I'm thinking about getting one of those electronic odometers one day.

It is possible that these shops might sell an indoor setup, too.

Keep us posted.

Eric91Z
01-01-2006, 08:05 PM
I am into bicycling. I don't dress up like Lance Armstrong nor have that kind of bike.
What you could check out are bike shops in your area that might have last years models on clearance. Plus, these shops can measure you for the correct frame size. BTW, My newest mountian bike is a hard tail with cable actuated disc brakes.

I'm thinking about getting one of those electronic odometers one day.

It is possible that these shops might sell an indoor setup, too.

Keep us posted.

I know someone has to sell and indoor setup as my mom used to have one. What it did was you would remove the front wheel and attach it to the piece and the rear wheel rode on a roller. Relatively simple setup, but allowed her to bike in the basement in the winter.

Guess I will see what I find out tomorrow. Just starting the shopping process.

Gre8one7
01-01-2006, 09:56 PM
I was into biking, took a nice wreck and started running while fixing my bike. Ended up losing 70 lbs by running and i also trained for a marathon within 3 months of beginning to run(anyone want to race on foot?)

BK_GrandMarquis
01-01-2006, 10:18 PM
Here are a couple of sites that i've bought from in the past.

http://www.coloradocyclist.com/
http://www.nashbar.com/index.cfm

If you intend to bike seriously and often, you should goto a local bike store and get fitted for a bike. A bike that does not fit you will not be comfortable on long rides. Your neck will cramp, you can be stretching your legs too far or not enough. If the bike fits you, you are more efficient and will enjoy riding more. Get a bike with decent shifters too. Something like Shimano. As you have noticed, cheap or unmaintained shifters will jump gears.

Also get a hydration pak like the Camelback. Like any sport, you need to stay hydrated. Camelback type hydration devices are very handy to have around.

I haven't biked in a few years. I need to get back into too. I've gained 30 lbs. since I've stopped.

Good luck and have fun!!!

Leadfoot281
01-01-2006, 10:52 PM
I rode about 1500 miles per year til a few years ago. I'd reccomend getting a bike that your comfortable on. If you're uncomfortable on it, you won't ride it. Simple.

I wouldn't rule out a Mountain bike. Knobby tires aren't mandatory on them. Try a set of semi-slick tires for rode use. Swap out the tires before you buy, if you can. Aluminum frames are about a lb lighter than steel, but they ride terrible, especially the low end ones. Steel frame bikes are getting hard to find these days. I own a steel Bontrager hardtail and a Specialized Dual suspension. Avoid dual suspension for rode trips!

I haven't looked at bikes in a few years. I've had good luck with Raleigh, Trek and Specialized. Disk brakes aren't nessesary. Look for Shimano components!

Upgrading bikes is fiscally dumb. Trade it, don't upgrade it! It's far cheaper to buy the top of the line bike, than to upgrade a low end frame to top of the line specs.

Cat-Eye makes a good computor. You don't need to spend more than $30 on one. Speed, Average Spd, time, clock, distance, and duration is all you need.

I have a Blackburn Wind trainer. Spendy ($180!), but it'll whip your butt in 20 minutes.

Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions. I can probably tell you how to fix you're K-Mart (came-apart) bike too.

cyclone03
01-02-2006, 08:15 AM
Leadfoot got it right...

I have a 1996 model Kline pulse race mountian bike outfitted with slicks has a very good component group on it that I've had ZERO problems with on or off road.
The bike is aluminum framed and rides hard but the Rock Shox fork helps some there.

Last summer I started riding 5 miles each way to work,honestly to save gas,but I was sent to night shift in October so I stopped.

The only mod I've done on my bike besides on of those cargo platforms that hang off the seat post and hold,cargo,is a set of clipless pedals.I love those things!

I'm going to start my mourning rides again tommorow,I do 20-25 miles on the roads around here,I also got a new heartrate monitor to play with.

Your local bike shops will be your best bet,be honest with them about how you want to use the bike and they will set you up with something you'll be happy with.
Before you buy though shop the dealers,you may end up spending a lot of time there if you get hooked.

Good luck and have fun.

Eric91Z
01-02-2006, 09:57 AM
Thanks for the all the replies. I knew I would find some good information on here. Going to check a couple of shops today and I will see what I come up with. And I have heard of people going with the mountain bike setup with "street" tires as an alternative. And comfort will be the biggest issue. That and a good seat.

And I know all about the Camelback. Used to have one somewhere that I used on long motorcycle rides to stay hydrated. Figure one of those will be much better than trying to grab a water bottle and put it back while riding.

Again, thanks for the input. Much appreciated.

Daily 03
01-02-2006, 10:19 AM
Eric,
I echo a lot of the advice that has been posted here. I would recommend that you buy a bike from a shop as they will fit you to a correct size bike. Buy something in the middle price range so that it has good components. I am still riding a couple mile centuries a year and several metric ones. I average about 1700 miles per year, for the last 20 years.
You may want to try out a cross bike since you are basically just starting out. Most regular riders have more then one bike. I have three and usually keep an old one for a beater to ride in bad weather. I have found a bike is good for about 12 to 15 thousand miles before the components start to wear out and it needs to be replaced.
Good luck on your desire to get back into riding and if I can be of any help to you please let me know.
Dale

jawz101
01-02-2006, 11:35 AM
I know someone has to sell and indoor setup as my mom used to have one. What it did was you would remove the front wheel and attach it to the piece and the rear wheel rode on a roller. Relatively simple setup, but allowed her to bike in the basement in the winter.

Guess I will see what I find out tomorrow. Just starting the shopping process.
stationary setup1 (http://cgi.ebay.com/MINOURA-850RDA-BICYCLE-TRAINER-EXERCISE-BIKE-STATIONARY_W0QQitemZ7207294050 QQcategoryZ36141QQrdZ1QQcmdZVi ewItem)
stationary setup2 (http://cgi.ebay.com/MINOURA-500D-BICYCLE-TRAINER-EXERCISE-BIKE-STATIONARY_W0QQitemZ7207293923 QQcategoryZ36141QQrdZ1QQcmdZVi ewItem)
stationary setup3 (http://cgi.ebay.com/RALEIGH-BICYCLE-TRAINER-EXERCISE-BIKE-INSIDE-STATIONARY_W0QQitemZ7207293929 QQcategoryZ36141QQrdZ1QQcmdZVi ewItem)

I used to have a hot gf that used one of these. It seems like a good deal for the money and you wouldn't have to mess with a bad chain if that was a problem. Eventually you can front the money for a new bike but this seems the way to go if you're trying to get back into it. I do like riding outside more though.

Eric91Z
01-02-2006, 03:56 PM
stationary setup1 (http://cgi.ebay.com/MINOURA-850RDA-BICYCLE-TRAINER-EXERCISE-BIKE-STATIONARY_W0QQitemZ7207294050 QQcategoryZ36141QQrdZ1QQcmdZVi ewItem)
stationary setup2 (http://cgi.ebay.com/MINOURA-500D-BICYCLE-TRAINER-EXERCISE-BIKE-STATIONARY_W0QQitemZ7207293923 QQcategoryZ36141QQrdZ1QQcmdZVi ewItem)
stationary setup3 (http://cgi.ebay.com/RALEIGH-BICYCLE-TRAINER-EXERCISE-BIKE-INSIDE-STATIONARY_W0QQitemZ7207293929 QQcategoryZ36141QQrdZ1QQcmdZVi ewItem)

I used to have a hot gf that used one of these. It seems like a good deal for the money and you wouldn't have to mess with a bad chain if that was a problem. Eventually you can front the money for a new bike but this seems the way to go if you're trying to get back into it. I do like riding outside more though.

We saw one in the store today a lot like setup 2. Definitely something I would like to get. And will definitely need to shop ebay because even the Buy It Now price is about $100 less then the setup at the store.

I will say that "entry" level road bikes still aren't that cheap. Oh well, guess you get what you pay for. We still have a couple more places to check out, but I did see 2 TREK road bikes today that I really liked. Also, they had a Giant that wasn't bad, but the salesman said that Giant has different frame sizing and can be difficult to get a good fit on. I have always liked TREK bikes...

stevengerard
01-05-2006, 08:25 PM
lots of good advice above, take your time, spend a little more than you want and you will be happier longer. I have a road bike and a mountain bike. depending on where you live it's like having a stock vs SCed MM. The mountain bike is comfortable and you will get just as good of a work out (if not better because of more resistance) but nothing feels like a good road bike does when cruising at a good speed. Then again, riding off-road on a mountain bike is a ball and can be very challenging.

I have two traininrs, one that mounts to the rear for resistance training and a full set of rollers (Difficult for a novice to use) for balance

Eric91Z
01-06-2006, 05:00 AM
lot
I have two traininrs, one that mounts to the rear for resistance training and a full set of rollers (Difficult for a novice to use) for balance

Thanks for the input. I think I will be going with a road bike and will spend more than we thought we would. The wife was a little shocked at prices for an "entry" level bike.

Yeah, the salesman was talking about the double roller setup. He said the rear wheel roller is probably better for an all around cardio workout, but that the double rollers are great for perfecting form and cadence.

stryker
01-12-2006, 08:24 PM
I was in Bike/BMX later in Bike/Freestyle untill 23 years after that I get jobs and the time to practice was very limited which cause my retirement, !DAMN! those days I cannot forget it,someday i'll post a few pics.

STRYKER.