PDA

View Full Version : PC racing games

Eric91Z
01-01-2006, 06:58 PM
OK, looking for some input on some good racing games to run on the PC (not XBox, etc). The wife got me a Logitech Momo Racing Force feedback steering wheel/pedal setup for Christmas, but I have no games.

I have never run any racing video games on the computer as I don't like keyboard/mouse use for those. Well, not I don't have to use those any more.

I definitely want to pick up a NASCAR game, but not sure which one. And then some others with good racing action. Gran Turismo? Any rally racing games?

Any and all input appreciated.

Thanks,

Rider90
01-01-2006, 07:46 PM
I looked for PC racing games last month and was disapointed. The market for PC games is not as large as it was 5-10 years ago. I used to be a fanatic about driving games - had my own force-feedback steering wheel and pedals on my computer and would play for hours.

Gre8one7
01-01-2006, 08:40 PM
Ok, if you can find it cheap Nascar Racing Season 2003 is the best...but because EA bought the rights to nascar titles and papyrus had to stop producing n2k3 the game now cost $120+. There are tons of great mods and tracks for this game and it is saddly worth the money (thank god i bought it for $30 when it came out). This is a true realistic sim.

Rfactor is another really good sim that was recently released. Its a pay and d/l type game but is worth it and is often patched and made better :) . Newly released but is growing fastly, mods and tracks in development. Best road course sim right now. http://www.rfactor.net/

Richard Burns Rally is the way to go for rally game...no good f1 games, best is f1 season 99-02

gpfarrell
01-02-2006, 06:49 AM
If you don't mind Porsches, I found "Need for Speed - Porsche Unleashed" quite addictive.

Several years old now... probably $4.99 if you can find it, but great fun... very realistic driving... you can induce oversteer in the 911s by lifting!... and the cars can be modded.

gdmjoe
01-02-2006, 07:29 AM
Gave Ford Racing 3 to my grandson this past xmas; has a large selection of classic, modern, and concept vehicles (cars and trucks) as well as several track selections. Graphics, effects, etc. were great as well as realistic handling. *A nice feature is the Replay ... rather than the driver, you're a spectator of your last race. *Yep, it's licensed by FoMoCo.

:2thumbs:

Eric91Z
01-02-2006, 09:51 AM
If you don't mind Porsches, I found "Need for Speed - Porsche Unleashed" quite addictive.

Several years old now... probably $4.99 if you can find it, but great fun... very realistic driving... you can induce oversteer in the 911s by lifting!... and the cars can be modded.

"Mind" Porsches? I absolutely love them. I will have to check this one out.

DEFYANT
01-02-2006, 09:56 AM

HEY!

I have this!! And yes, it was very addictive, as most of these games can be.

I was very deep into DESCENT and DESCENT 2 for awhile.

Gre8one7
01-02-2006, 11:33 AM
rfactor also has a porsche mod out right now that has become a huge hit. It is insanly realistic.

gpfarrell
01-03-2006, 10:34 AM
"Mind" Porsches? I absolutely love them. I will have to check this one out.

Me too! But then again I love most everything with wheels... even so, I can't imagine buying a "just" Corvettes game... different strokes....

duhtroll
01-03-2006, 01:05 PM
I also like the NFS (Need for Speed) series.

I can actually ram police cruisers and get away with it. ;)

DEFYANT
01-03-2006, 03:19 PM
I also like the NFS (Need for Speed) series.

I can actually ram police cruisers and get away with it. ;)

I KNOW what you mean!:banned:

01 Interceptor
01-03-2006, 03:40 PM
Chalk another up for the NFS series. I like ramming the racers off the road in my Crown Vic. ;) With these games...as with many others, there are a host of sites to customize the cars to add the ones you want to drive that are otherwise not in the game. For example: http://www.nfscars.net/ and http://www.nd4spdworld.com/

metroplex
01-04-2006, 06:12 AM
Chalk another up for the NFS series. I like ramming the racers off the road in my Crown Vic. ;) With these games...as with many others, there are a host of sites to customize the cars to add the ones you want to drive that are otherwise not in the game. For example: http://www.nfscars.net/ and http://www.nd4spdworld.com/

In all of the NFS games, the Crown Vic is the slowest car in the game. I remember NFS 4, one of the games I played for about 2 years. I would copy the McLaren and paste it into the Crown Vic files so all of the cop cars were McLaren F1s. This gave me a bit of a challenge, until i drove the modified fast heavy trucks and reverse PIT'd the McLaren F1s.

I feel that the simulations on the PC don't give you the exact feel for driving or flying. The controls are too jittery (not quite the same "feel" on a real car or plane) and there's no sense of gravity (sucking you into the seat or otherwise). I understand its just a game, but a lot of times they overhype it saying "its the most realistic thing since... sliced bread".

BK_GrandMarquis
01-04-2006, 01:35 PM
Any rally racing games?

There is a Colin McCrae Rally game out there somewhere.

There is also an old game called Driver. They might be up to the 3rd game now. It was pretty cool. You were the driver of a getaway car or something. You had to evade the police driving around the city.

Marauder2005
01-04-2006, 06:27 PM
In all of the NFS games, the Crown Vic is the slowest car in the game.

Thats because there trying to make the game realistic, very common
issue in real life :lol:

Breadfan
01-04-2006, 06:52 PM
Need for Speed high pursuit 2 can be found in the "cheap" bin for 9 bucks at WalMart or Best Buy, in my opinion the game play is much better than Porsche Unleashed.

It aslo has multiplayer capabilities over networks, so, I can take you on. :)

Eric91Z
01-04-2006, 07:48 PM
Need for Speed high pursuit 2 can be found in the "cheap" bin for 9 bucks at WalMart or Best Buy, in my opinion the game play is much better than Porsche Unleashed.

It aslo has multiplayer capabilities over networks, so, I can take you on. :)

Couldn't find any good PC driving games at Wal-Mart. Went to Best Buy today and got the EA NFS bundle of Underground, Hot Pursuit 2, High Stakes, and Porsche Unleashed. Intalled all and just started playing around with the Porsche one. It does say that High Stakes is for Win98 only, so I have not installed that yet.

Now doing a little fine tunning and setup of the steering wheel/pedals so that it will work with the games.

Eric91Z
01-04-2006, 09:54 PM
OK, spent a little time playing NFS Porsche Unleashed and like the game. My question is, there are some cars in the list that say you need to download the cars before you can use them, but I can't find anywhere either in the game, in the EA folder, or from the EA website to get these cars from. I really want the 928 GTS. Any ideas?

duhtroll
01-05-2006, 07:04 AM
There used to be several download sites out there - do a google.

I remember lots of different custom cars - some so fast you cannot possibly control them - and races with 8 school buses going all of 61 MPH and doing jumps.

I was undefeated in the Ford cargo van. :)

-A

Dark_Knight7096
01-05-2006, 02:18 PM
I remember High Stakes. I used to play that all the time. That was a good game. Of course i beat my girlfriends tricked out Camaro with my tricked out M5 in a High Stakes race (slips) and ever since that she won't play a 2 player game against me anymore. My favorite was the Hot Persuit mode in High Stakes. I liked trying to catch all the speeders. Kinda strange though, you play the Canada level and you are in a Caprice 9C1, you play the England level and you are in an M5, little strange, but oh well.