PDA

View Full Version : INFO: Porter Cable polisher

CRUZTAKER
01-03-2006, 09:35 AM
Jessica saw a thread here last year and bought a Porter Cable orbital polisher for me, for christmas. It is model number 7424.

I have used old school orbitals for years, but put them aside when the Marauder came along as they didn't work so well on this particular car. Also, they were nearly 15 years old and the pads would no longer stay on the buffers. I got fed up, and quit using them. They all utilized 'BONNETS'.

This Porter unit is quite the machine. And from some of you're posts, it works quite well on a black Marauder.

I have a few questions to those of you whom USE THIS MODEL. Please, just the Porter Cable users.

Mine came with one, soft, white, porous pad. Apparently this is the applicator pad. Does this mean I will never use bonnets again?

If so, how many times will I be able to reuse and re-apply wax with this one applicator?
Where do I aquire replacements? And what is a reasonable price?

Now the big question:
The manual says this unit is for application only. What are you folks using to remove the wax?
We used to use the same orbital, but with a different clean pad.

Any additional tips and tricks would be appreciated.

BTW: I detailed cars in the 80's, and have become 'somewhat' handy with orbitals, and high speed buffers using a variety of compounds to strip, rubout, and sand finishes. It's just been awhile...:P

shakes_26
01-03-2006, 09:48 AM
Barry,

go here link (http://www.premiumautocare.com/dual-action-polishers.html)

I've used their products on my car, and all I can say is wow. I think a number of other users here as well.

And in short, you wont be using bonnets anymore....

Brutus
01-03-2006, 11:32 AM
Barry, I never used the "white pad". I almost always use Meguiars products so I used there pads. You can get a backing plate for the polisher and your pads stick to it like velcro so you can change them out easily and not cross contaminate. I use the polishing and buffing pads. I would recommend the polishing pad with the #9 Hi Tech Swirl remover followed with the buffing pad and a good wax.

Mike Poore
01-03-2006, 11:34 AM
Barry it's the very same unit Meguiar's sells. They have a nice supply of buffs and polishers, as well as their professional polishes/waxes. It goes on and comes off as advertised, with nary a scratch. Good for Jessica, she got you the best one. We use it on all our vehicles, including Sunshine.
:sunshine:
You'll be amazed with the results. :D

Some folks will express doubts, but they are the ones who have never used the system.;)

Mike M
01-03-2006, 11:53 AM
My wife bought me the same unit so I will be reading this thread carefully!
Chicks are cool!

CRUZTAKER
01-03-2006, 12:14 PM
My wife bought me the same unit so I will be reading this thread carefully!
Chicks are cool!

She reads the threads as well!

Thanks to all for your replies.

SHAKES: Great link, thank you.

BRUTUS: I may give you a call later in the year for specifics on the Meguires pads.

03marauder99vic
01-03-2006, 08:29 PM
I've been told the white pad it comes with is for use with microfiber bonnets, so I would suggest not to use it by itself. Check out this site.

http://autopia.org/forum/index.php and this article http://www.guidetodetailing.com/articles.php?articleId=47

I just recently aquired a porter cable and can't wait to use it. :D

jdando
01-03-2006, 09:15 PM
I got the 7424 last year since I was unable to "wax on, wax off" due to a shoulder blowout.

I got mine from Classic Motoring Accesories

http://www.properautocare.com/porcabpolac.html

I got the whole range of bonnets, pads, etc. to go on with the velcro pad

I elected to go with Zaino and microfiber towels. I apply the Zaino by hand or machine and remove with machine using a microfiber bonnet over the wool pad.

I practiced on a couple of lower end cars before tackling our Sable and then my MM. Never had any problems, works great, less work!

It is a fabulous tool no matter what wax or towels you use.

jeremy

PS Don't forget to clay

RCSignals
01-04-2006, 12:42 AM
Barry, check out Maguires. They sell this Porter Cable, labelled as theirs and recommend it. They sell various pads for it, and their pads are great.