PDA

View Full Version : Lincoln Zephyr

ctrcbob
01-03-2006, 05:17 PM
Checked out the Lincoln Zephyr at my local L-M dealer today. Although I did not drive one, from what I saw, I liked it very much. Afraid to drive one as I may want to buy. The one thing I don't like about them is if I want to get the GPS (Navigation System), I would be forced to buy the extra cost THX radio, which is something I really would not want.

Someday I'll drive one if just to see how I like the Six Speed Automatic. Will make sure I don't bring my checkbook as I don't want to make any snap decisions.

My wife says she does not care if I trade my MM, but I was thinking more of trading her LC.

jimlam56
01-03-2006, 05:21 PM
Front Wheel Drive???

MM2004
01-03-2006, 05:47 PM
Front Wheel Drive???

http://www.lincoln.com/zephyr/home.asp

<TABLE class=border_table cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width=606><TBODY><TR bgColor=#ffffff><TD class=chartTitle>Coil-on-Plug Electronic Ignition</TD><TD class=chart_icons style="WIDTH: 60px" align=middle>S</TD></TR><TR bgColor=#d8dee4><TD class=chartTitle>Compression Ratio</TD><TD class=chart_icons style="WIDTH: 60px" align=middle>9.86:1</TD></TR><TR bgColor=#ffffff><TD class=chartTitle>Dual Stainless Steel (Major Components) Exhaust with Chromed Exhaust Tips</TD><TD class=chart_icons style="WIDTH: 60px" align=middle>S</TD></TR><TR bgColor=#d8dee4><TD class=chartTitle>Drivetrain — Front-wheel drive</TD><TD class=chart_icons style="WIDTH: 60px" align=middle>S</TD></TR><TR bgColor=#ffffff><TD class=chartTitle>Electronic Throttle Control</TD><TD class=chart_icons style="WIDTH: 60px" align=middle>S</TD></TR><TR bgColor=#d8dee4><TD class=chartTitle>Engine — 3.0L Duratec 30 DOHC 24-valve aluminum V6
(View Demo) (http://javascript<b></b>:lookupSwfFromFeature('3.0l_du ratec_24-valve_v-6');)
</TD><TD class=chart_icons style="WIDTH: 60px" align=middle>S</TD></TR><TR bgColor=#ffffff><TD class=chartTitle>EPA-Estimated Fuel Economy</TD><TD class=chart_icons style="WIDTH: 60px" align=middle>20 city/28 hwy mpg</TD></TR><TR bgColor=#d8dee4><TD class=chartTitle>Front Engine, Front-Wheel Drive</TD><TD class=chart_icons style="WIDTH: 60px" align=middle>S</TD></TR><TR bgColor=#ffffff><TD class=chartTitle>Fuel tank — 17.5 gallons </TD><TD class=chart_icons style="WIDTH: 60px" align=middle>S</TD></TR><TR bgColor=#d8dee4><TD class=chartTitle>Horsepower</TD><TD class=chart_icons style="WIDTH: 60px" align=middle>221 @ 6250 RPM</TD></TR><TR bgColor=#ffffff><TD class=chartTitle>Intake Variable Cam (IVCT) Timing</TD><TD class=chart_icons style="WIDTH: 60px" align=middle>S</TD></TR><TR bgColor=#d8dee4><TD class=chartTitle>Sequential Multi-Port Electronic Fuel Injection</TD><TD class=chart_icons style="WIDTH: 60px" align=middle>S</TD></TR><TR bgColor=#ffffff><TD class=chartTitle>Six-Speed Electronic Automatic Transmission with Overdrive</TD><TD class=chart_icons style="WIDTH: 60px" align=middle>S</TD></TR><TR bgColor=#d8dee4><TD class=chartTitle>Torque</TD><TD class=chart_icons style="WIDTH: 60px" align=middle>205 lb.-ft. @ 4,800 rpm</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

jdando
01-03-2006, 05:52 PM
I actually drove one two weeks ago. It is a nice car. Very nicely appointed, the one I drove had the "light wood accents". I think of it as a slightly bigger Sable, unfortunately it is $10,000 more than a Sable :(

The six speed tranny was slick and smooth. The car a lot quieter than my MM. The ride a lot softer than my MM.

An okay car, but certainly not worth $32,xxx of my dollars.

jeremy

dwasson
01-03-2006, 07:35 PM
An okay car, but certainly not worth $32,xxx of my dollars.

jeremy

Give it 6 -8 months and you'll get a $5K rebate.

bigslim
01-03-2006, 07:47 PM
I would wait for the all-wheel-drive with the 250+hp 3.5 engine version that will be out next year.

Donny Carlson
01-03-2006, 08:31 PM
Give it 6 -8 months and you'll get a $5K rebate.

Agreed. My local LM dealer has had the first Zepher he got in inventory on his lot for over two months, and two others are in now. Three. Meanwhile, he as 30 '06 Gran Marquis, a dozen or more '06 Town Cars. They may be selling somewhere, but not at Madden LM.

I drove by there Sunday afternoon. They still have the black '06 LS I looked at... sigh. That's a great looking car, but just too small for my huge butt.

Eh, they wanted more for it than I paid for the SSR (he says with a far away look...)

Shora
01-03-2006, 08:53 PM
I would not down grade from a Marauder to the LZ. As was stated wrong wheel drive, smaller, weaker (HP) and way too much green (money).

Just my two cents.

Marauderjack
01-04-2006, 04:42 AM
Hard for me to visualize spending that kind of money when a new CV can be had for less than $20K??:confused: I'll bet you can have a CV Sport for around $23K.....Install a blower and have something to be proud of for around $28K!!:beer:

This is why I have had seven CV's and we still have the '98 with over 200K miles without as much as a hickup......It'll probably blow up today!!:rolleyes:

I will always go the extra mile for RWD cars as long as they keep making them.....Just can't take FWD!!:mad:

Marauderjack:burnout:

jerrym3
01-04-2006, 01:42 PM
Save the money and get a mechanically identical Merc Milan or Ford Fusion.

TheDealer
01-04-2006, 02:19 PM
Just for the record!! The base price for a Crown Vic LX Sport is $31,605.00

TheDealer
01-04-2006, 02:21 PM
We have sold 22 Lincoln Zephyrs.

Marauderjack
01-04-2006, 02:28 PM
Hey Ray....

What's the real world selling price for the CV Sport??

I looked at one about 3 years ago and the sticker was $25K+ and I could have bought it (current year model) for $21K and change.

Marauderjack:D

Meteorite
01-04-2006, 02:30 PM
It is a bit smaller than the Sable. The Sable is a D class car, the Fusion/Milan/Zephyr are C/D vehicles.

I think of it as a slightly bigger Sable, unfortunately it is $10,000 more than a Sable :(

TheDealer
01-04-2006, 02:41 PM
Hey Ray....

What's the real world selling price for the CV Sport??

I looked at one about 3 years ago and the sticker was $25K+ and I could have bought it (current year model) for $21K and change.

Marauderjack:D

28k!! :beer:

TripleTransAm
01-04-2006, 02:45 PM
I saw an advertisement (either on TV or in print, can't recall) and from the 'slogan' used, you'd swear they were practically begging you to please please pretty please "give them a chance" and buy one. Not exactly the feeling of reassurance I'd want from a marketing slogan.

ps: I wish they'd put that 3.0l to rest, already!

ctrcbob
01-04-2006, 05:40 PM
Hey guys, I never said I was going to buy one, just thinking about it.

As for the 3.0 and 3.5 engines, I've been hearing about Ford going to the 3.5 for years now. Still has not happened, and I know that both of my sisters cars, a 97 Taurus and an 05 Freestyle, both with the 3.0 24V DOHC Duratec engine have plenty of power. They both go like scat and get great fuel milage.

As for the FWD vs RWD thing, I've loved FWD ever since I drove my first one many years ago. It was an Auto-Union, (now called AUDI). Thats when I learned that the front wheels on a FWD are always pulling in the direction they are pointed. FWD and RWD both have their place but in low traction situations, give me a FWD.

The FWD haters on this forum are missing a lot of good cars. The MM will go 0-60 faster than most FWD (and other RWD) cars, but there are a lot of FWD cars that will go around a corner, or down a curvy road as fast, or faster. Look beyond your dislike.

Meteorite
01-04-2006, 06:55 PM
The 3.5L debuts with the Ford 6-speed automatic (later this year, I think) in the Ford Edge (and Lincoln MKX) crossover vehicle. From everything I've heard, it will be a spectacular combination.

Hey guys, I never said I was going to buy one, just thinking about it.

As for the 3.0 and 3.5 engines, I've been hearing about Ford going to the 3.5 for years now. Still has not happened, and I know that both of my sisters cars, a 97 Taurus and an 05 Freestyle, both with the 3.0 24V DOHC Duratec engine have plenty of power. They both go like scat and get great fuel milage.