PDA

View Full Version : Vaction question for all the flordia people?

mclemore102
01-05-2006, 10:31 AM
Hey guys i am planning on going to Flordia the second week of March.I know it's supposed to be spring break most of that month and i don't really want involved in all of that. Where's a good family beach to go to with alot of things to do? Do you have any recomendations on hotels or condos?

Rick-n-Miami
01-05-2006, 10:36 AM
There are some nice beaches up around Jupiter towards the middle of the state. I think the one I'm thinking of is Jensen Beach? Anyways, those beaches are not as crowded as the larger cities.

Cobra25
01-05-2006, 10:55 AM
What price range are you looking at & what do you like to do?

shakes_26
01-05-2006, 11:07 AM
Check out Sarasota, there are some nice beaches around that area, as well as places to visit, not to mention the NMRA at Bradenton the 10/11/12th!

Hotrauder
01-05-2006, 11:11 AM
Hi 302, We were at a nice beach this past weekend in Vero Veach. There is still considerable hurricane damamge to some of the hotel and resorts so prices may be up this spring with fewer accomodations. The town is smaller so quieter but has some nice restaurants and resorts. I really like the East coast for the wide open Ocean and tremendous beaches. Spring Break is a good time to stay away from the traditional college break hangouts. Zoo parade meets animal house. Good luck, you will love Fl. We do. Dennis:)

ghost03
01-05-2006, 01:11 PM
Marco Island or Naples is a good place to go..Not sure how it is during sprong break buts its a nice place to go

fastblackmerc
01-05-2006, 01:37 PM
Marco Island or Naples is a good place to go..Not sure how it is during sprong break buts its a nice place to go
I vote for the Fla west coast beaches also. Sanible/Captiva, Ft Myers, Naples, Marco Island, Tampa/St Petersburg, Clearwater, etc. Basically any beach on the wset coast. When I lived in Boca Raton in the '80's we spent more "beach" time on the west coast than the east coast.

juno
01-05-2006, 02:02 PM
The best white sand beaches are on the gulf coast, beautiful, but little waves and you have to do the "Stingray Shuffle" at times. St Pete and Clearwater have great beaches and a lot going on.
The east coast beaches are more cape coddish. The east coast is a little faster lifestyle. Depends on what you want. Anything West Palm and South are nice but $$$ and CROWDED. Jupiter to Jax is nice and some parts are still undeveloped.
Don't know much about anything south of Tampa, haven't been to Sanibel since 1977. I hear it has changed. :)

EDIT: If you want peace and quiet hit anything west coast north of Hudson to about Tally. :)

Just reread your post, my recommendation would be St Pete/Clearwater area.

jimlam56
01-05-2006, 02:41 PM
I vote for the Fla west coast beaches also. Sanible/Captiva, Ft Myers, Naples, Marco Island, Tampa/St Petersburg, Clearwater, etc. Basically any beach on the wset coast. When I lived in Boca Raton in the '80's we spent more "beach" time on the west coast than the east coast.
I agree with this, having lived at all four "corners" of Florida at one time or another.
From where you live just south of Knoxville (Marysville is a pretty town by the way) the most convenient would be the Panhandle...Destin, Panama Beach, otherwise known as the Redneck Riviera. I've talked to some folks who have been there recentlly, the hurricane damage isn't too bad there.
If you like to fish there's always Cedar Key...

shakes_26
01-05-2006, 02:55 PM
Don't know much about anything south of Tampa, haven't been to Sanibel since 1977. I hear it has changed. :)

Yeah I'd say, they now have a bridge out to the island....:rolleyes:

mclemore102
01-05-2006, 05:47 PM
Well it would be my mother and father inlaw going plus me and my wife and 2yr old son. So we like eating out at different resturants and my wife likes the shopping outlets. I don't want a beach where there's nobody around but i also don't want alot of drunks and partying going either.

JMan
01-05-2006, 09:41 PM
Search Manasota Key/ Englewood Beaches. Very quiet and remote as well as inexpensive but within 40 miles from Sarasota or Ft. Myers if you wish to deal with crowds. Lots of little bungaloes (Sp.?) right on the beach. Nice sands and beautiful water. Great fishing on Charlotte Harbor and the surrounding inland waterways. No stingray masses until ~June. The water will be cold in early March - low 70's - but may be okay for northerners. Manasota Key extends north into Sarasota County and gets very expensive. The south end near Englewood is off the beaten path and very quaint. Some attractions nearby - Edison and Ford winter homes, Eden Winery, Sanibel and Captiva Islands (Ft. Myers); Selby Gardens, Mote Marine Laboratory, Ringling Museum (Sarasota); MLB Spring training in Ft. Myers, Sarasota, Bradenton, St. Petersburg, Clearwater, Dunedin, Tampa, Plant City etc. ; Fifth Avenue, Shopping, traffic, more Shopping, Millionaire Acres, Historic district, and yes, more SHOPPING! (Naples 75mins south) Some of the most awesome beaches in the Hemisphere. The nicest beaches are Clearwater, St. Petersburg, Siesta Key and Venice IMHO! If you need to call me, send a PM.

J

Badger
01-06-2006, 08:53 AM
We'll be heading down to the Keys and finally Key West in April. Bahia Honda is a nice beach!

CRUZTAKER
01-06-2006, 10:08 AM
I see the locals are suggesting the Bradenton/Sarasota area. :up:

I have always preferred and enjoyed the beaches in this area from St. Pete down to Venice. Then again, that's where we live.:P Part time of course. I am a snowbird at heart.

Sanibel/Captiva is definately unique and quite nice. I personally haven't been there since the late 60's early 70's as a child, but it was quite nice before the massive build up of hotels and such.