PDA

View Full Version : Charger SRT8 runs 11.5 in the 1/4...

Sully008
01-08-2006, 06:19 AM
I was at the airport waiting for my brother to leave and I was flipping through Road and Track's "Speed" mag. There was an article about the Charger SRT8 vs. a Lancer Evo MR and while I was impressed by the Evo's 12.7 time, I was shocked to see an apparently bone stock Charger run 11.5.:eek: They had no mph listed though. I knew those cars were fast, but that fast?? I thought it was a typo, but in the main article it also says an 11.5 1/4 mile time.

If this is true, even if I get a S/C, they'll still be quicker.:alone:

CBT
01-08-2006, 07:18 AM
Yeah but the Marauder will still look better.

merc6
01-08-2006, 07:24 AM
And has space for days :) I'm more for the new challenger R/T which has the 6.1L SRT Motor. Does that mean a SRT version will have a difrent motor or won't have one?

SergntMac
01-08-2006, 08:19 AM
You mean 11.5x in factory stock trim? Ya think it could beat a Sable?

fast Ed
01-08-2006, 12:50 PM
That number doesn't seem right, unless DC has hugely underrated the power of the 6.1. The SRT-8 is a two ton car with 425 hp. I seriously doubt in stock form that it could run the same kind of e.t. as a new 505 hp Z06 Corvette, that weighs almost 1000 lbs. less.

But hey, I've been wrong before!! :D

cheers
Ed N.

merc6
01-08-2006, 01:08 PM
I had a 1.8L ATX nissan sentra pull on my 2.3L ATX 6i and 2.3 6i ATX pull on a base model monte carlo ATX. anything can happen.

MarauderMark
01-08-2006, 01:33 PM
If this is true then this upsetting as all the money spent is starting to seem futile .:( .

Deebar
01-08-2006, 01:39 PM
Something's fuugged up here, R&T also has the Charger SRT8 running a 13.30@ 108 against a GTO. Waddaya think, driver error or misprint? I'm callin the 11.5 some B.S.

merc6
01-08-2006, 01:43 PM
Remember R&T times is'nt always what you and I will get ;) Just cause a car redlines at Xrpm means thats where you shift.

marauder307
01-08-2006, 02:46 PM
Umm, merc6...the Charger SRT8 DOES have the 6.1 Hemi in it. They also step up the rearend gearing to a 3.06 ratio, but I haven't heard anything about posi, like ours.

Chargers actually weigh in about 100-200 pounds less than we do, and depending on which Hemi you get, you're going to have 340, 350, or 425 horses to work with---a minimum of 38 more horsepower than us. So....slightly less weight, anywhere from 38 to 123 more horsepower, and all of a sudden it's NOT so inconceivable that an SRT8 could be cutting 11.x quarters.

Verrrry impressive. But we still have the advantage of old-school, million-mile-tested construction; body-on-frame is STILL the best way to build a car, and a lot of crunched CVPIs---and their surviving LEOs---bear witness to that fact. There's a lot of horsepower that can be unlocked out of the 4.6, and many of you have proved that with additions of superchargers, better heads, better exhausts, and MUCH better tuning (I gotta get in touch with Lidio sometime...:eek: )

We truly are the very last American musclecar. The Viper and Corvette? WAY too ridiculously expensive for mere mortals like me to acquire and maintain. The Camaro and Firebird are gone, and there are only rumors and a few scattered spy photos about replacements, nothing more. The Charger/300/Magnum series are one-half German; in fact there's a joke floating around the chargerforums.com board about a reporter who asked the Daimler CEO how he felt about the acquisition of Chrysler. His response? "Oh, we're not concerned. The "Chrysler" is silent in German!"

Long digression there, but I thought y'all could use the encouragement...:coolman:

Side note: Just thought about the hp listings above, and realized that some of you might get confused. There's actually only 2 Hemi engines out there: the 5.7 and the 6.1. The 5.7 is the one you hear about the most. The Charger Daytona R/Ts have the 5.7, but it's rated for 350 in those cars because---and this is according to Dodge, not me---the company adds a factory cat-back system on to them, in addition to high-impact paint color, stripe kit, and slightly blacked-out rims (the pockets are painted black). NOW....as if that's not confusing enough....you can still get the 350hp-rated 5.7 in ordinary R/Ts, if you order the Road & Track package. That particular arrangement grants you the cat-back system, blacked-out rims, the same Nivomat suspension tweaks as the Daytona, a rear wing, and a neat little thing under the rear bumper called an air diffuser. Works in a parallel manner to the Patco (?) pans that DR sells for us, only rather than deflect the air away from the rear bumper lip, it channels it out through a gridwork.

Know your enemy....:up:

Sully008
01-08-2006, 03:36 PM
I don't know if it's BS or a typo. I had to read it twice and have my brother look at it to confirm that what I saw was 11.5. And if it is a typo, then they made the mistake in two different places in the same article. I didn't buy the issue, but it's the Jan/Feb Road and Track "Speed" mag. I looked at their website and they've got a really old issue there, so I can't link to anything on the 'net. It is the SRT8 w/the 6.1L 425hp motor.

merc6
01-08-2006, 04:22 PM
Is the times 2 difrent persons, 2 diferent articles, or in the same article. I was refering to # not being the exact same for 2 drivers of same car.

juno
01-08-2006, 06:23 PM
425 crank horses and 2-300 lbs lighter with stock tires does sound odd. MM's on here with 80 -100 hp more than that and drag radials aren't getting 11.5's.
Any other tests out there on the SRT8 before we get too disheartened. :(

snowbird
01-08-2006, 06:50 PM
I also have hard time to believe a 11.5 ET for a bone stock car.

In the January issue of CarandDriver, there is a comparo BMWM5, Cadillac STS-V and Mercedez CLS55 AMG. The fastest, the M5 with 500hp and seven speeds box get a 12.5 ET @ 118 mph.

In that same article, page 50, there's a side note about the 425hp Charger for "40 grand less". They stipulate it as a good runner for the basic crunch numbers with a "13.2" seconds 1/4 mile ET @ 109 mph, on par with the Cadillac. The 13.2 number appear more like a reasonable fact, IMO. But like another poster, i have been wrong before !!

Deebar
01-08-2006, 07:51 PM
Guys, please stop.... Just stop. Allow me to be the voice of REALITY. There is no way in theee hell that a stock Charger SRT 8 is running 11 anything, let alone 11.50! I dont care if C&D, Motor Trend, or any other rag claims it. The car weighs 4200 Lbs and has 425 horses. The Dodge Viper weighs about 3400 pounds and has over 500 (fly wheel) horses and doesn't run 11.50s stock. Didn't happen, no way, no how.

MikesMerc
01-08-2006, 07:54 PM
Guys, please stop.... Just stop. Allow me to be the voice of REALITY. There is no way in theee hell that a stock Charger SRT 8 is running 11 anything, let alone 11.50! I dont care if C&D, Motor Trend, or any other rag claims it. The car weighs 4200 Lbs and has 425 horses. The Dodge Viper weighs about 3400 pounds and has over 500 (fly wheel) horses and doesn't run 11.50s stock. Didn't happen, no way, no how.

Ahhh...the voice of reason. Well said sir. Look for low 13s high 12s in reality. Still damn fast. But 11.5s....fogettaboutit!!

mr.continental
01-08-2006, 08:04 PM
being that road and track's road test of 300c srt8 states that the car does 0-100 in 11.5 seconds with a standing 1/4 mile time 13.3 @ 108.2 mph, i would have to say it is an error on their part.

JMan
01-08-2006, 08:41 PM
The Charger/300/Magnum series are one-half German; in fact there's a joke floating around the chargerforums.com board about a reporter who asked the Daimler CEO how he felt about the acquisition of Chrysler. His response? "Oh, we're not concerned. The "Chrysler" is silent in German!"

:up:

I have to chime in here. Back in '01, a new GM factory rep., recently relocated from DCX, said exactly the same thing to me. I asked if they were allowed to utter the "C" word after the merger. His response - "Aw, no problem, the Chrysler is silent in German!". How very funny!
:D

J

bigslim
01-08-2006, 08:46 PM
I visit the Charger forum and 300 forum almost daily. The best I have seen post with a video was a 12.6 run with a 300C SRT-8. This they claim was in stock form. They have a company making a Paxton supercharger for the 5.7 and the 6.1. That is the only way a SRT-8 vehicle will run in the 11s.

Sully008
01-08-2006, 11:11 PM
Okay, I kinda figured that an 11.5 sec 1/4 mile had to be pretty unrealistic. The article was about an SRT8 vs. an Evo MR, with two different drivers, one driving the SRT8, the other the Evo. They put it through the performance paces, etc... Thanks for pointing out some "real world" times for me guys. I feel a little better now.

So now the question is, will R&T make some sort of statement of error in their next issue? 'Cause there's gonna be a lot of magazine racing going on now.

RCSignals
01-08-2006, 11:26 PM
You mean 11.5x in factory stock trim? Ya think it could beat a Sable?

Well it has to be apples for apples. 'Magazine' times or 'real' times ?

Of course, we all know that nothing can beat the mighty Sable!

Charger owners should be banding together and starting a complaint letter writing campaign to DCX HQ any day now.......

Vortech347
01-08-2006, 11:35 PM
ummm I have 430rwhp and close to 600ft-lbs with my stang. With SLICKS on the back the best I can muster is mid-low 11's. My stang has ALOT of weight reduction too. (other than the beefcake behind the wheel) Thats TOTAL bull@%$#.

Even with slicks and going down hill I call HUGE BS to 11.5. CD slipped a couple G's to the R&T editor.

Zack
01-09-2006, 06:45 AM
Sure it wasnt an 1/8th mile track?

MarauderMark
01-09-2006, 08:34 AM
Sure it wasnt an 1/8th mile track?
More than likely , well hopefully.
we have someone in the famliy who just bought an 300C SRT-8 black and he just got an exhaust(assuming cat back?) put on it and apparently his kids think thats all he needs to compete with me .So i think sometime soon we will find out.:burn:

Big House
01-09-2006, 12:24 PM
Gents,
Lets look at it like this. It may be faster...heck their engines are bigger and the bodies are smaller...power to weight ratio...we lose, but they don't and hopefully never will have the undercover vic effect. Bringing speeders to a slow crawl with just your presence is worth more than more speed...that ups the appeal and bad-azz factor of this car we drive. Dodge has appealed to the most primal urge in all of us...bigger Faster, and stronger, but it doesn't have the final dimension the discerning auto-phile wants....a car that looks good, or in our case a car that looks absolutely bad-azz from any angle. Looking at the Charger...it looks angry...not to mention the lines don't flow over the car's length. The SRT8 300 and newly unwrapped Jeep, are winners for speed and power but that is just about it. I will have to say the Jeep does looks great in black. My .02.ffice:office" /><?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com<o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>

MarauderMarc
01-09-2006, 09:55 PM
You mean to tell me it will beat a Ford GT in stock form.....I dont think so!

merc6
01-10-2006, 05:26 AM
Bighouse I actualy saw the new SRT jeep in arlington with mich manufact tags and it's badass!

metroplex
01-10-2006, 07:32 AM
The SRT-8 engine makes monster torque: at the minimum, 300+ ft-lb off idle.
It's slightly lighter than your 03-up Panthers, but on-par with the 98-02 Panthers. It's unibody, RWD (R/Ts can have AWD), and fairly quick for a vehicle of its stature.

It will however not run mid 11s stock. I'd say at best, mid to high 13s (conservative estimate) for the SRT-8. About mid 14s for the R/T (5.7L Hemi V8 w/ the MDS). The MDS slows things down a bit but you get better gas mileage.

Imagine what you can do putting a mild blower on the 6.1L SRT-8 engine :D

bmartin9122
01-12-2006, 03:45 PM
Umm, merc6...the Charger SRT8 DOES have the 6.1 Hemi in it. They also step up the rearend gearing to a 3.06 ratio, but I haven't heard anything about posi, like ours.

Chargers actually weigh in about 100-200 pounds less than we do, and depending on which Hemi you get, you're going to have 340, 350, or 425 horses to work with---a minimum of 38 more horsepower than us. So....slightly less weight, anywhere from 38 to 123 more horsepower, and all of a sudden it's NOT so inconceivable that an SRT8 could be cutting 11.x quarters.

Side note: Just thought about the hp listings above, and realized that some of you might get confused. There's actually only 2 Hemi engines out there: the 5.7 and the 6.1. The 5.7 is the one you hear about the most. The Charger Daytona R/Ts have the 5.7, but it's rated for 350 in those cars because---and this is according to Dodge, not me---the company adds a factory cat-back system on to them, in addition to high-impact paint color, stripe kit, and slightly blacked-out rims (the pockets are painted black). NOW....as if that's not confusing enough....you can still get the 350hp-rated 5.7 in ordinary R/Ts, if you order the Road & Track package. That particular arrangement grants you the cat-back system, blacked-out rims, the same Nivomat suspension tweaks as the Daytona, a rear wing, and a neat little thing under the rear bumper called an air diffuser. Works in a parallel manner to the Patco (?) pans that DR sells for us, only rather than deflect the air away from the rear bumper lip, it channels it out through a gridwork.

Know your enemy....:up:

Also, don't forget about the new 6.4L "stroker" HEMI w/ 510hp naturally aspirated. It is going to be strickly a crate motor at first, but with a little luck, it may find its way into some SRT products. (Challenger perhaps?)

edit: I was mistaken on the rated output - it is actually supposed to be 510, not 505.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v730/bmartin9122/Miscellaneous/hemi_392.jpg

Marauder2005
01-12-2006, 05:36 PM
Also, don't forget about the new 6.4L "stroker" HEMI w/ 505hp naturally aspirated. It is going to be strickly a crate motor at first, but with a little luck, it may find its way into some SRT products. (Challenger perhaps?)

I hate to say this, but Dodge/Chrysler is getting very pleasing as of late :cool:

Joe Walsh
01-12-2006, 06:02 PM
Also, don't forget about the new 6.4L "stroker" HEMI w/ 510hp naturally aspirated. It is going to be strickly a crate motor at first, but with a little luck, it may find its way into some SRT products. (Challenger perhaps?)

edit: I was mistaken on the rated output - it is actually supposed to be 510, not 505.

YEOWW! That is one BAD 'motor'....complete with Ford 427 style header manifolds!