PDA

View Full Version : UK Speed Camera Tickets Non-Speeding Protester

dwasson
01-13-2006, 04:41 PM
Annoyed by defiant gesture, speed camera issues ticket to non-speeding driver.

A UK court on Monday severely penalized a motorist for the crime of showing disrespect to a mobile speed camera van. The device had photographed Sean Toehill, 21, driving at 22 MPH in a 40 MPH zone on July 29, 2005 but police became enraged when they noticed he had given the camera a "V-sign."
http://www.thenewspaper.com/rlc/pix/vsign-sm.jpg
At the time, the road was otherwise empty and police admitted there was no sign that Toehill's silver VW Polo was out of control or had ever drifted off-course. Officers nonetheless were dispatched to his home two days later to charge him with "dangerous driving."

The Cupar Sheriff Court in Fife, Scotland upheld the charge claiming even a momentary removal of hands from the wheel to make a gesture was dangerous (see full image). Sheriff George Evans suspended Toehill's right to drive for a year and imposed a £90 (US $160) fine. Toehill plans to appeal the ruling.

"I can't believe that speed cameras can be used in this way," Toehill, a North Sea oil worker, told the London Telegraph. "I thought they were to catch speeding drivers."

MarauderMark
01-13-2006, 04:47 PM
Good thing he wasn't picking his nose , may have gotten life.:rolleyes:

Marauder2005
01-13-2006, 04:51 PM
Good thing he wasn't picking his nose , may have gotten life.:rolleyes:

:lol: And people complain about US. Law Enforcment

CRUZTAKER
01-13-2006, 04:53 PM
It's all about the details...

Had the driver had his passenger doing the finger waving he might beat this one. As dumb as it sounds, the defendent is gonna loose.

Even Marty couldn't save this case.:baaa:

dwasson
01-13-2006, 04:56 PM
It's all about the details...

Yeah but it's really about the cops motivation.

merc6
01-13-2006, 05:02 PM
Drivig too slow=impeading the flow of traffic right? If they just openly said there was no traffic for him to impeade what was the reasoning for the citation is what gets me.

MarauderMark
01-13-2006, 05:06 PM
Drivig too slow=impeading the flow of traffic right? If they just openly said there was no traffic for him to impeade what was the reasoning for the citation is what gets me.

The device had photographed Sean Toehill, 21, driving at 22 MPH in a 40 MPH zone on July 29, 2005 but police became enraged when they noticed he had given the camera a "V-sign.":shake: