PDA

View Full Version : 2005 Gto

bagpiper
01-14-2006, 01:34 PM
Thinking on buying a 05 GTO,not crazy about the style but 400hp and 395tq with 6 speed.Dealer told me $29700 with 18inch upgraded wheels and spoiler. Best he would do was $14500 trade for my 03 Marauder with 24000 miles.ANY opinions??I have done the stage 1 kit,thinking if I keep the Marauder doing headers and exhaust this spring, keep it garaged all winter.A stock GTO would still beat it.Just can,t afford a supercharger.

CBT
01-14-2006, 01:44 PM
I did the Blue Book thing online, said my Marauder was worth 13,800. I wouldn't take 25 thousand for it and that's alot more than I owe. If GTO's are your thing, go for it. I couldn't do it though.

Krytin
01-14-2006, 02:26 PM
I wouldn't buy the GTO - but that's me.
I wouldn't trade your MM for that price - you should get more from a private sale (and it's just not right to leave her in a used car lot at the Pontiac dealer).

younga1
01-14-2006, 02:35 PM
I'm a big fan of the GTO drivetrain, just not the Grand AM/Grand Prix look. I may be missing something but it appears that you could supercharge the Marauder and then some for less than the difference between the cost of the GTO and what they are offering for trade on the MM.

Plus, (I can only imagine at this point but someday perhaps) the fun you could have killing many smaller cars with a supercharged 400+ hp Marauder must be a true rush just to see there face.

Only 11000 +/- Marauders on the road. How many GTO's will be made?

Tis only my worthless opinion.

BruteForce
01-14-2006, 02:37 PM
Let's do the math...

Trilogy w/install lets call it 8K
Trade-in for MM toward GTO 14.5K
GTO loan $29.7K
Balance left after trade-in 29.7K-14.5K = 14.2K
Savings by going with Trilogy: 14.2-8K = 6.2K

AND you end up with a faster car. :D

Even if you had to take a personal loan (higher rate than car loan) to get the SC, it would still cost you less (especially if you paid it down aggressively).

Class dismissed. :grad:

Smokie
01-14-2006, 02:55 PM
.A stock GTO would still beat it.Just can,t afford a supercharger.

This is what $7k does to a GTO.LINK (http://www.mercurymarauder.net/showcase/misc.php?do=downloadfile&i=166)

RoyLPita
01-14-2006, 03:11 PM
Did you see the trunk space in the GTO? That is one reason why it would be my 2nd car and not my first.

chicago_cop
01-14-2006, 03:15 PM
Thinking on buying a 05 GTO,not crazy about the style but 400hp and 395tq with 6 speed.Dealer told me $29700 with 18inch upgraded wheels and spoiler. Best he would do was $14500 trade for my 03 Marauder with 24000 miles.ANY opinions??I have done the stage 1 kit,thinking if I keep the Marauder doing headers and exhaust this spring, keep it garaged all winter.A stock GTO would still beat it.Just can,t afford a supercharger.

If I would consider a small car, and more go, it would be a Mustang GT. MUCH better style, and with a little tweaking is a flat 13sec car. A friend of mine has a GTO. He has tried everything to make the car look like something. It still falls short.Maybe sometime in the future they may make it look like something. I think you will be glad you waited for the SC. I drove Carfixers SC ed, and I would'nt have anything other. But what ever makes you happy.

RoyLPita
01-14-2006, 03:18 PM
BTW, have a look at this thread, too

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=23906&highlight=gto

MarauderMark
01-14-2006, 03:53 PM
They really do look sharp and yes they got balls to wall but for a fat man:D They just are not comfortable in fact an hour behind the wheel and i had pains in my back.

gpfarrell
01-14-2006, 04:05 PM
Let's do the math...

GTO loan $29.7K

Even if you had to take a personal loan (higher rate than car loan) to get the SC, it would still cost you less (especially if you paid it down aggressively).

Can I have an AMEN!

Mad4Macs
01-14-2006, 04:20 PM
If I would consider a small car, and more go, it would be a Mustang GT. MUCH better style, and with a little tweaking is a flat 13sec car. A friend of mine has a GTO. He has tried everything to make the car look like something. It still falls short.Maybe sometime in the future they may make it look like something. I think you will be glad you waited for the SC. I drove Carfixers SC ed, and I would'nt have anything other. But what ever makes you happy.

That's what I did... I'm single, not "Super Sized" ( :D ) and didn't need a large car. Traded the Marauder (which I had MUCH fun with) in on a shiny new GT and I'm lovin' it.
Give the 'Stang a look over. For the money, it's a hell of a car... and you'll never be mistaken for a Cavalier with a body kit!
:lol:

FastMerc
01-14-2006, 04:38 PM
The GTO has the power but NO identity,there is only one car I would consider trading my Marauder for,and when it hits the streets the GTO is a memory!That car is the new Shelby GT 500.The Z06 corvette,GTO and Viper are losers against it.You wait and see!:D :D

00 Aggie
01-14-2006, 04:45 PM
That car is the new Shelby GT 500.The Z06 corvette,GTO and Viper are losers against it.You wait and see!:D :D

It weighs almost as much as my MM. It will be only marginally faster than an 03/04. But it would eat GTOs for breakfast!

MikesMerc
01-14-2006, 05:00 PM
Let's do the math...

GTO loan $29.7K

What ^ he said.

blackf0rk
01-14-2006, 07:13 PM
Thinking on buying a 05 GTO...Dealer told me $29700...he would do $14500 trade...Just can't afford a supercharger.

Are you serious!?:tantrum: Snap out of it - you'd drive that new GTO 3 days and it'd be old. Slip into your new Supercharged Marauder, and it's fun for life. This is a no brainer man!

I can't believe you'd make a deal like that, and then say you can't afford a supercharger. If you can't afford a supercharger, how can you afford a GTO?

bigslim
01-14-2006, 07:29 PM
Are you serious!?:tantrum: Snap out of it - you'd drive that new GTO 3 days and it'd be old. Slip into your new Supercharged Marauder, and it's fun for life. This is a no brainer man!

I can't believe you'd make a deal like that, and then say you can't afford a supercharger. If you can't afford a supercharger, how can you afford a GTO?
Some folks look at the bottom line, "How much do I have to pay each month?" He is probably going to have about the same payment each month. If he kept his car and supercharged it it would put him back $6000. This way he gets a new car for the same money each month but with more power. Sure he will extend his payments for a couple of more years. Me myself, I wouldn't do it. I like having a car that only a little more than 11,000 were made that can still beat most other cars out there. If this is what he wants I say go for it. Do whatever you to do. Don't let anyone influence you.

69marquis conv
01-14-2006, 08:09 PM
I go along with bigslim: do whatever you you have to do. But I don't care what anyone else says, the GTO might have a heck of a drivetrain, but it has NO style, no lines, just the same old jellybean shape of most the other Pontiacs, Aztec excluded-and that's another thread altogether.

Hotrauder
01-14-2006, 08:28 PM
I agree that you should do what makes you happy...but, I can't tell you whether I have even ever seen the new GTO, I'm sure I have but what's to notice? Get my drift? Put the S/C in your Marauder and you will want to keep it for life. the NA and S/C Marauders are 2 DIFFERENT animals. I don't care which S/C, it is true for all...but you know my favorite. Dennis:D

Vortex
01-14-2006, 09:39 PM
I owned an 04 GTO M6 but sold it and bought my 04 MM. Performance-wise, it was a great car (and that was before they went to the LS2) and I had no major complaints. I was told it was 165 mph capable and believe it, you could get to 100 in 4th gear. That said, it didnt have much of a look, which isnt that bad but its not noticable like the MM. Mine was black with red leather but the leather didnt feel anything like the MM, it felt pretty rough to the touch. Had a damn nice Blaupunkt though. The MM, well, its not as quick but is still a pretty quick car stock, handles just fine for a big car and is tons more practical with an accessable back seat and a huge trunk. It would have been nice to keep both, but all in all, Ill stick with the MM.

txmarauder
01-14-2006, 10:44 PM
I have a Trilogy car, was it worth the money to S/C it. NO. If i had to do over i would have left it stock. As far as the GTO not having style, WE ARE DRIVING A GRAND MARQUIS. Dont get me wrong I like my MM, The main reason i bought it was to have enough room to drive my family around when they come down from Michigan. But now they live here so i dont need the extra room. As far as doing the math, a MM with a trilogy is about 425-450 hp. A 05 GTO with a tune will be about the same. Now take your S/C MM to the dealer for warranty work and as soon as they pop the hood dig deep into your pockets. The S/C voided my warranty which still has over 20k and 1 year left. I took my MM into the dealer for my free oil change and they popped the hood, 1 minute later there was every supervisor in the place taking pics of the motor, serial #s, and vin. When my car was done they gave me my keys, smiled and said "very nice car I hope you dont break anything". I want an 05 GTO as well but i am too far in the hole with the MM or i would do it. Cars are the worst investment, unless it is a classic you will loose. NADA said my 03 with less than 20k on it was 19k trade in. Go to carmax and see what they will give. Not sure what a stage 1 is but if you still have your stock parts put those back on then go to another dealer or carfax and see what they will give. A dealer will give you less for a modded car. Sell the stage 1 stuff and get some more money that way. If you wait a couple more months the 05 GTO will go down in value so you can get it cheaper since the dealer will be pushing to get rid of them. When i bought my MM 3 months later the price dropped another 3k for the other ones at the same dealer. Do what makes you happy, but remember that next year and the year after that and so on there will be a new, faster vehicle that you will want to buy.

Smokie
01-15-2006, 06:28 AM
I have a Trilogy car, was it worth the money to S/C it. NO. If i had to do over i would have left it stock. As far as the GTO not having style, WE ARE DRIVING A GRAND MARQUIS. Dont get me wrong I like my MM, The main reason i bought it was to have enough room to drive my family around when they come down from Michigan. But now they live here so i dont need the extra room. As far as doing the math, a MM with a trilogy is about 425-450 hp. A 05 GTO with a tune will be about the same. Now take your S/C MM to the dealer for warranty work and as soon as they pop the hood dig deep into your pockets. The S/C voided my warranty which still has over 20k and 1 year left. I took my MM into the dealer for my free oil change and they popped the hood, 1 minute later there was every supervisor in the place taking pics of the motor, serial #s, and vin. When my car was done they gave me my keys, smiled and said "very nice car I hope you dont break anything". I want an 05 GTO as well but i am too far in the hole with the MM or i would do it. Cars are the worst investment, unless it is a classic you will loose. NADA said my 03 with less than 20k on it was 19k trade in. Go to carmax and see what they will give. Not sure what a stage 1 is but if you still have your stock parts put those back on then go to another dealer or carfax and see what they will give. A dealer will give you less for a modded car. Sell the stage 1 stuff and get some more money that way. If you wait a couple more months the 05 GTO will go down in value so you can get it cheaper since the dealer will be pushing to get rid of them. When i bought my MM 3 months later the price dropped another 3k for the other ones at the same dealer. Do what makes you happy, but remember that next year and the year after that and so on there will be a new, faster vehicle that you will want to buy.

There are two groups of people that visit here; one group is made up of people that simply bought a car had it for a while, got rid of it and moved on. That is the reason why we have a figure of about 3000 members, this figure reflects a passing curiosity. There is nothing at all wrong with this group, it reflects the normal majority of car owners.

There is also a tiny minority of owners (less than 200) that purchased this car because it evoked in them a visceral reaction, they actually love the car, (yes I know, you have to be crazy to love something that can't love you back) the purchase of the car and subsequent realization that there are other like-minded people they could get together with and share this experience with, has made a profound positive impact in the quality of their lives.

The people in this tiny minority are not looking for a return on an investment, they are not over analizing the cars obvious flaws (it has it's fair share) They simply enjoy the unique opportunity that owning this car has afforded them and truly enjoy getting behind the wheel each and every time, enjoy the friendships forged thru this club, getting together with other members.

There is no right group or wrong group here, simply a large majority of car owners and a tiny minority of car lovers....the former will never understand what the fuss is all about.

Joe Walsh
01-15-2006, 08:18 AM
Did you see the trunk space in the GTO? That is one reason why it would be my 2nd car and not my first.

My thoughts exactly...The GTO, especially the new 400HP model, is a fast car BUT:

1: It looks like a rental car with hood scoops

2: It has NO rear seat room

3: You can only fit ONE dead body in the trunk...:D

MikesMerc
01-15-2006, 08:31 AM
There are two groups of people that visit here; one group is made up of people that simply bought a car had it for a while, got rid of it and moved on. That is the reason why we have a figure of about 3000 members, this figure reflects a passing curiosity. There is nothing at all wrong with this group, it reflects the normal majority of car owners.

There is also a tiny minority of owners (less than 200) that purchased this car because it evoked in them a visceral reaction, they actually love the car, (yes I know, you have to be crazy to love something that can't love you back) the purchase of the car and subsequent realization that there are other like-minded people they could get together with and share this experience with, has made a profound positive impact in the quality of their lives.

The people in this tiny minority are not looking for a return on an investment, they are not over analizing the cars obvious flaws (it has it's fair share) They simply enjoy the unique opportunity that owning this car has afforded them and truly enjoy getting behind the wheel each and every time, enjoy the friendships forged thru this club, getting together with other members.

There is no right group or wrong group here, simply a large majority of car owners and a tiny minority of car lovers....the former will never understand what the fuss is all about.

Well said.

Bradley G
01-15-2006, 08:38 AM
WE ARE DRIVING A GRAND MARQUIS. {QUOTE}
I have an '02 GMQ LSE
Not even close to a Marauder
Why don't you like your Trilogy, tx?

FastMerc
01-15-2006, 08:38 AM
Yes but only a small body LOL:D

rayjay
01-15-2006, 09:42 AM
Comparing a MM to a GTO is apples to oranges, waste of time IMHO. As stated above a better comparo is the Mustang to the GTO, and this should be a no brainer for anyone looking at both. Unless they are a die hard general mess fan.

txmarauder
01-15-2006, 10:09 AM
WE ARE DRIVING A GRAND MARQUIS. {QUOTE}
I have an '02 GMQ LSE
Not even close to a Marauder
Why don't you like your Trilogy, tx?

I was replying to the style comment. When you look at the car compared to a G/M they are the same lines. I know the performance and handling are very different, but take a G/M, put nice rims and dual stainless tips on it and the everyday Joe will think it is a MM. The Trilogy is a nice product, factory looking as you can get that is why i chose it. But for 8k to run from a high 14 low 15 sec quarter to a high 12 low 13 sec quarter and void the warranty. I would have bought a factory car that could do the faster times and still have a warranty. Reading some of the posts on this forum of people's blessings on what they do for a living and what they can afford i can see why they dont mind spending the extra money to make their MM what they want it to be. But for the average me it was a mistake. As far as the car being rare at around 11k made i think has to do with them not selling too good. When i bought mine i had a choice between 3 new 03s in the year 04. The rep told me i could have any one for 26.9k, then a couple months after i bought mine they were 23-24k. It is a great car for what it is i would have still bought it, i just would have not modded it. I LOVE cars, so much that i have 6 in my stable right now. But as every year comes with a new, faster better looking car like the challenger and the possible camaro, the new mustang, and the gto 4 of my 6 will get cycled out. That is the way my life is. I highly douby anybody in here loves their MM enough to not just say they will never get rid of it but to actually never get rid of it. I consider BillyGMan the poster boy for the MM as he sounds to just have a passion for this car. But he is working on a new project car which is the first step into moving away from the MM in MY opinion. Let me state that my opinion has nothing to do with the Trilogy itself but the modding of the car period.

jgc61sr2002
01-15-2006, 01:22 PM

Javier - I couldn't agree more.:D :up:

Marauder2005
01-15-2006, 06:06 PM
I was replying to the style comment. When you look at the car compared to a G/M they are the same lines. I know the performance and handling are very different, but take a G/M, put nice rims and dual stainless tips on it and the everyday Joe will think it is a MM. The Trilogy is a nice product, factory looking as you can get that is why i chose it. But for 8k to run from a high 14 low 15 sec quarter to a high 12 low 13 sec quarter and void the warranty. I would have bought a factory car that could do the faster times and still have a warranty. Reading some of the posts on this forum of people's blessings on what they do for a living and what they can afford i can see why they dont mind spending the extra money to make their MM what they want it to be. But for the average me it was a mistake. As far as the car being rare at around 11k made i think has to do with them not selling too good. When i bought mine i had a choice between 3 new 03s in the year 04. The rep told me i could have any one for 26.9k, then a couple months after i bought mine they were 23-24k. It is a great car for what it is i would have still bought it, i just would have not modded it. I LOVE cars, so much that i have 6 in my stable right now. But as every year comes with a new, faster better looking car like the challenger and the possible camaro, the new mustang, and the gto 4 of my 6 will get cycled out. That is the way my life is. I highly douby anybody in here loves their MM enough to not just say they will never get rid of it but to actually never get rid of it. I consider BillyGMan the poster boy for the MM as he sounds to just have a passion for this car. But he is working on a new project car which is the first step into moving away from the MM in MY opinion. Let me state that my opinion has nothing to do with the Trilogy itself but the modding of the car period.
Remember, if your a true car nut, you know this is how they built

muscle cars back in the 60s/70s. Just like the Malibu was to the Chevelle

to the Impala to the Caprice, and of course the MM to GM. The list

goes on and on. Its how Car Co. kept COSTS down.

I respect your opinion, and I do see where you are coming from.

I feel the same way in some aspects. I would LOVE a new SRT8 300c.

As for the GTO, I like them but I like big cars as well, so its up to

your taste.

Silver_04
01-15-2006, 07:10 PM
There's just something about the LS2. But I'd wait until the new GTO or Camaro (fingers crossed) comes out.

Bradley G
01-15-2006, 08:59 PM
Thanks tx,
I can relate to everything you stated, except the "average me".
Come clean man, six cars in the stable?
You know you bring the average up!:P

Donny Carlson
01-15-2006, 10:33 PM
There's just something about the LS2. But I'd wait until the new GTO or Camaro (fingers crossed) comes out.

That's what I was thinking. I'm not a big fan of the Holden design GTO, though the '05 I saw at SSHS-5 with the LS2 had an impressive engine bay.

A couple of things about your deal are worrisome. First, you're dealing on a left over '05? Then your dealer has end of year cash and should be able to offer the GTO for much lower than quoted. That kind of price on a new '06 would be more in order. The trade value, assuming ACV, seems a little low for your mileage. You don't say if you owe on the MM and how much.

The only thing I see incentive wise is low interest rates from GMAC on '06 GTO's. If you really, really wanted a 6-speed LS2 and didn't want to step up to a Corvette, this would be it. BTW, you can buy a 6-speed SSR with the LS2 (an '05) for about $31-33K depending on options. I know where there's a black '05 with a 6-speed that was the dealer's personal demo they want $33 K for.

I gather this, like the Marauder, is a second car, since you store it in the winter. If it's for fun - and you want a manual - well, only you can make that decision.

DJCV
03-22-2008, 02:24 PM
Javier - I couldn't agree more.:D :up:

Visceral reaction is what it's all about.

DeepSea117
03-28-2008, 01:13 AM
Yipes!!!!!

Damien2003
03-28-2008, 04:32 AM
Look at it like this u loose space, but u gain more power. I love the 04-06 gto, u don't c alot of them which makes it a prize to get like the mm. i love the pipes, dam they sound good, and far as speed, for a little car its real fast. I pulled up to 1 around where i live ask the guy if he opened it up yet (he had paper tags). the light turn green, gone is all i can say.

88LTDCV351
03-28-2008, 08:45 AM
Do whatever makes you happy. If you want a GTO, get one at www.fastlanecars.com (http://www.fastlanecars.com) They finance. Oh, you mean a modern GTO, he he. I think they should have gone with a retro look like the new Challenger. If you like those modern GTOs, get one. Me? I'm not so much into smaller cars or modern cars except a few exceptions, I'm not even into the Mustang (I don't know if other MM owners are like me in this regard since a lot here like the Mustang). I like room, comfort, passengers, storage space, etc. I do like the new Challenger though because of its muscle car retro look. Otherwise, if I had the money and the room, I'd add a lot of cars to my fleet. Lets see. A new Charger SRT. An old Dukes of Hazzard Charger. A 1970 Chevelle 454. Impala SS with the 409. A 94-96 Impala SS. A 60s GTO. Just about any muscle car from the 60s/early 70s. Not into pony cars though even back then. I'd also love to have some of the late 60s/early 70s big block police package four door sedans, like the 69 Dodge Polara with the 440 or the Ford Galaxies/Dodge Monacos/Plymouth Furys. And then I'd have to have a Toyota Prius for the daily commute. Guess I'd have to be rich like Jay Leno in order to have this collection, he he. Well, thanks for letting me share. Buy your GTO, you know you want it. Be happy. God bless.

Aren Jay
03-28-2008, 07:04 PM
It is a 2006 thread boys.

davidholland
03-29-2008, 05:46 AM
29K for a 3 year old GTO! What am I missing? How much were those Grand Ams (I mean GTOs new?)

Wait for the Challenger to come out. Dodge will not be able to keep them on the lot. They have stlyin!