PDA

View Full Version : This Marauder is just too cool

BillyGman
01-14-2006, 09:48 PM
It just never seizes to amaze me how these S/Ced Marauders move!! :D We've had a warm snap here in CT lately, and because I drive my Marauder year round, this is the time of year when I have the four snow tires on it. I'm traveling to the parts store to get some motor oil and filter for an upcoming oil change, and some kid in a foreign 6 banger equipped car is about four cars behind me. And when he heard me get into the gas a little bit, he then was trying to shuffle through the moderate traffic to catch-up to me. I heard his fart pipe bellowing loud and clear. I think it was some kind of Audi, but I'm not even sure.

He get's to within 2 car lengths of me, on a two lane road while I'm cruising at about 45 MPH. I was in the left lane, and he was in the right, and I'm about to make it through a yellow light, and knowing that he wouldn't make it through since he was a little bit behind me, I layed hard on the brakes to stop for the red, so that he stops right on side of me with both of us in the front of the line.

We both roll down our windows, and he has a passenger sitting along side of him, and both of these lads are grinning and with a look on their faces like they're about to give me the surprise of my life. I can't fully explain their look, but it was the most confident and playful look that I've ever seen on anyone's face before. So knowing that he was deliberately trying to catch-up with me as soon as he heard the Kooks headers and magnaflow exhaust kick in, I said to him, "Okay, this is it" and his passenger and he just nodded with their big grins as he began reving his engine. They looked so confident, that I actually became a little bit intimidated, and began to think to myself.."Uh ho, maybe this will be the first time that the Marauder will lose".... I began wondering if this guy had some type of massive Nitrous oxide delivery system.

So the light turns green, and off we go...... and sure enough, I saw that there was a definate reason for their big grins.....

This guy's car was the first ever on the street that genuinely beat mine out of the hole w/out any legitimate excuses. ofcourse I did have the snows on, and the drag radials would've done better, but this guy's car had me for the first 100 feet by a car and a half lead!!! But the Mighty Marauder was not to be outdone....

Shortly after the Marauder transmision hit second gear, and I was then able to give it full throttle w/out having to worry about traction losses, I began gaining on him, and I passed him doing about 60 MPH as I heard him shifting to third gear with his manual transmission. I stayed on it just a little longer to show him that there's no way he's keeping up with me, and then both of us let off the hammer. About 500 feet down the road we coast to a stop for another red light, and I notice that the confident look that both him and his passenger had was changed to a look of utter surprise and curiosity. So I say to him, "Well, you're pretty good off the line" and he says to me....."That car really moves!! Is that thing Supercharged?"...

I reply, "Yep, it is"..... "I thought so" he says. "What are you putin' to the wheels?" he asks... I said "400" ...."Oh" He replies.. "I'm putin' 350 to the wheels".

"That's with FWD, right?" I asked.....He said, "No, AWD" and then we said bye and drove off. I must admit, those AWD cars can really leap out of the hole on the street. I've never seen a car on the street take off like his did. But I guess that 6 banger power plant he had just didn't have the torque to carry the weight of the car as well above 50 MPH. Once again, I was reminded of how cool these cars are. I only wish that I could've had some kind of dash mounted camera, to snap a shot of the look on their two faces before the challenge, and then again after the challenge to show you guys the difference in their expressions. They were both utterly amazed. I guess nobody expects this from a cop-car looking Mercury. This car is so cool...

I then proceeded to hit the parts store, get the oil and filter, and then to reward the Mighty MM with an oil change. She definately earned her oil change that day.:burnout:

shakes_26
01-14-2006, 10:28 PM
Shooting fish in a barrel again, I see?

BillyGman
01-14-2006, 10:37 PM
Shooting fish in a barrel again, I see?LOL....I dunno, he was pretty quick off the line. I must admit, he had me rather humbled until I hit second gear. And I'm not used to having to play catch-up. :D

MikesMerc
01-14-2006, 11:47 PM
I've had a tangle or two with a hopped up Evo on Woodward. That's one baddazz awd car. Same scenario, munched out of the hole, but running it down pretty quick.

Nice story Billy. :up:

the_pack_rat
01-15-2006, 01:04 AM
Funny you should post this .... was it one of these lil' cockroaches ?.

http://images2.auction123.com/sizequalitypredef/2c6250e2-ba81-4125-9365-2e13231e6ecf/TRUWF28N251008371/02.jpg?webimage001m

I think I tangled with one of those things last night(or some other dime a dozen look-a-like claustrophobia inducing deathtrap).

Unlike the guys you encountered(seems they were alright) ... the driver of this was a cocky lil SOB weaving back & forth lane to lane using no signal, damn near cutting all kinds of people off. Well naturally the lil shyte did it to me soon enough. Fine, I think ... but I like to do onto others as they do onto me sometimes. So about a mile later - I get my chance ... & he just hangs back & stays there. Fast forward another mile ... & I stop for a light. There's another car to my left, so he couldn't get next to me. Nevertheless ... he's now back to his last minute abrupt no-signal lane change & jumps behind that car to my left, instead of staying behind me. The light changes & I accelerated fairly normal ... tho faster than the car next to me was. I'm looking in the rear view mirror & thinking ... I know the lil shyte is gonna pull his same abupt lane change manuever as soon as he can & sure enough he does. Over to the right he sways & then back over the left getting in front of that other car & to pass me(he was defintely on it). I'm doing about 50 mph at this point & I nail it. Not the most advantagious speed to do so, as your not that far past the point of being able to drop down into 1st ... dropping down into 2nd after 60mph in most cars tends to give much better results. Well sure enough he was able to pass me ... but he didnt stay ahead for long. Right @ hiting the 3 digit mark ..... I was able to pass him. The last time I looked down at the speedo I saw triple 1's ... & I held it another few seconds before letting up. Shortly thereafter, I saw him drop back & I let off ... my work was done.

BTW ...

I was in the TOWN CAR.

+1 - "Big Daddy Warbucks" luxo-cruiser

0 - arogant cocky piloted - overpriced yuppie rollerskate

Joe Walsh
01-15-2006, 08:34 AM
Nice Kill Billy!!!

I hope that you took the opportunity to wave 'BYE BYE' to them as you pulled past...

BillyGman
01-15-2006, 04:12 PM
Thanks Mike & Joe......

Pack Rat, I'm not sure if that was the same one. It may have been. Coincidentally, it was that same color though. All those cars look alike to me. :puke: But when he told me that it was puting 350 HP to the wheels, I found that believeable, because his car was no slouch. He did give me a decent run for it. So it's likely that he put some work into it as do most of us into our Marauders. I don't think that he would've even had me out of the hole had it taken place on the dragstrip since the drag radials enable my car to hook up on the dragstrip just as good as his car did on the street. I'd say his car was likely a low 13 second ride on the dragstrip. His exhaust definately wasn't factory stock. That's for certain. But ofcourse it wasn't pleasant sounding like our Marauders are after we do exhaust work. It was that typical giant beehive type sound that we're all perplexed with from time to time by the neighborhood ricers.

Marauder2005
01-15-2006, 06:01 PM
It just never seizes to amaze me how these S/Ced Marauders move!! :D We've had a warm snap here in CT lately, and because I drive my Marauder year round, this is the time of year when I have the four snow tires on it. I'm traveling to the parts store to get some motor oil and filter for an upcoming oil change, and some kid in a foreign 6 banger equipped car is about four cars behind me. And when he heard me get into the gas a little bit, he then was trying to shuffle through the moderate traffic to catch-up to me. I heard his fart pipe bellowing loud and clear. I think it was some kind of Audi, but I'm not even sure.

He get's to within 2 car lengths of me, on a two lane road while I'm cruising at about 45 MPH. I was in the left lane, and he was in the right, and I'm about to make it through a yellow light, and knowing that he wouldn't make it through since he was a little bit behind me, I layed hard on the brakes to stop for the red, so that he stops right on side of me with both of us in the front of the line.

We both roll down our windows, and he has a passenger sitting along side of him, and both of these lads are grinning and with a look on their faces like they're about to give me the surprise of my life. I can't fully explain their look, but it was the most confident and playful look that I've ever seen on anyone's face before. So knowing that he was deliberately trying to catch-up with me as soon as he heard the Kooks headers and magnaflow exhaust kick in, I said to him, "Okay, this is it" and his passenger and he just nodded with their big grins as he began reving his engine. They looked so confident, that I actually became a little bit intimidated, and began to think to myself.."Uh ho, maybe this will be the first time that the Marauder will lose".... I began wondering if this guy had some type of massive Nitrous oxide delivery system.

So the light turns green, and off we go...... and sure enough, I saw that there was a definate reason for their big grins.....

This guy's car was the first ever on the street that genuinely beat mine out of the hole w/out any legitimate excuses. ofcourse I did have the snows on, and the drag radials would've done better, but this guy's car had me for the first 100 feet by a car and a half lead!!! But the Mighty Marauder was not to be outdone....

Shortly after the Marauder transmision hit second gear, and I was then able to give it full throttle w/out having to worry about traction losses, I began gaining on him, and I passed him doing about 60 MPH as I heard him shifting to third gear with his manual transmission. I stayed on it just a little longer to show him that there's no way he's keeping up with me, and then both of us let off the hammer. About 500 feet down the road we coast to a stop for another red light, and I notice that the confident look that both him and his passenger had was changed to a look of utter surprise and curiosity. So I say to him, "Well, you're pretty good off the line" and he says to me....."That car really moves!! Is that thing Supercharged?"...

I reply, "Yep, it is"..... "I thought so" he says. "What are you putin' to the wheels?" he asks... I said "400" ...."Oh" He replies.. "I'm putin' 350 to the wheels".

"That's with FWD, right?" I asked.....He said, "No, AWD" and then we said bye and drove off. I must admit, those AWD cars can really leap out of the hole on the street. I've never seen a car on the street take off like his did. But I guess that 6 banger power plant he had just didn't have the torque to carry the weight of the car as well above 50 MPH. Once again, I was reminded of how cool these cars are. I only wish that I could've had some kind of dash mounted camera, to snap a shot of the look on their two faces before the challenge, and then again after the challenge to show you guys the difference in their expressions. They were both utterly amazed. I guess nobody expects this from a cop-car looking Mercury. This car is so cool...

I then proceeded to hit the parts store, get the oil and filter, and then to reward the Mighty MM with an oil change. She definately earned her oil change that day.:burnout:

Few, you scared me, thought you were going to say you lost!

RoyLPita
01-16-2006, 05:37 PM
WTG Billy!!!! Keep up the good work. :up:

CRUZTAKER
01-16-2006, 06:25 PM
Audi you say...perhaps an S4 modded. The TT pictured is NOT going to give Billy any trouble.

AWD is the shat for hooking up. I have drove S4's, and am stupified that even with the 6sp manual, and literally whipping it, the tires don't break loose.

WTG Billy.

Size does matter.;)

Merc-O-matic
01-16-2006, 07:41 PM
the "Gman" continues to stay on top of his game! Congrats!

Gotta Love It!:rasta:

BillyGman
01-17-2006, 12:20 PM
First foreign kill of the year?
the "Gman" continues to stay on top of his game! I never thought of it like that.....it's definately MY first foreign "kill" of the year. ;)

Barry, I dunno what type of Audi it was, but I didn't get the impression that it was factory stock anyway. BTW, since he said that his car is puting 350 HP to the wheels (all 4 of them I guess :baaa: ) I'm wondering if there are any Audi's that come from the factory with that much HP.

CRUZTAKER
01-17-2006, 04:04 PM
.... I'm wondering if there are any Audi's that come from the factory with that much HP.

OH HELL YEAH!

Grandpa's S4 is rated at 340hp, AWD, and the size of a golf cart!!!!

The RS4, not sure if it's out yet, claims 420hp in the same size/style as the S4.

The former S8 (4 dr full size car) had like 450-500 hp at all 4 with an engine from Lamborghini.

These guys have a mass of bolt on's available to them, and are really serious about performance.

I personally enjoyed driving the car. The interior build, style, and materials are simply tip top quality.

BillyGman
01-17-2006, 05:18 PM
hmmm, okay Barry...thanks for the info...i guess I'll have to get the Chevelle out this spring for the next time I might tangle with one of the more exotic Audi's :D