PDA

View Full Version : A shot in the dark:

BillyGman
01-16-2006, 12:49 AM
I was going to post this in the "Garage" forum, but since this has nothing to do with Marauders, I thought it should go here.....

Does anyone know of a place that might have front Baer brake kits in stock for muscle cars??? I can't find anyone who will be able to get these kits for my 70 Chevelle any sooner than 8 weeks from now!! I even called Baer directly, and they also told me that they're 8 weeks behind on these.:mad2:

My Chevelle is in the middle of a body-off restoration, and it sure would be nice if I can just have the entire brake system installed before the body goes back on the frame! Can anyone help? I'm specifically looking for the Baer "Serious Street" kit since it utilizes the factory stock spindles, and allows the use of 15" wheels on GM A-body cars.

EDIT: ooops!!! Never mind....I just looked on e-bay and found a place.

SergntMac
01-16-2006, 03:45 AM
When you said "off the shelf", I would not have thought of e-bay. Glad you got what you were looking for.

BillyGman
01-16-2006, 03:25 PM
Yeah MAC, I didn't think of going to e-bay either at first. I usually don't like to deal with e-bay because there are a lot of crooks on there, and in fact I had a real bad experience on a car I bid on a few months ago, and I know two other people who've been ripped off through people on e-bay too. So going to e-bay is my last resort, but with this item, I didn't have much choice unless I wanted to wait 8-12 weeks for Baer to get caught-up on their orders. And I really want to get as much on the chassis finished on this car before the body goes back on. It just makes life easier that way.

I've been hooked on Baer brakes ever since I went to the dragstrip in Englishtown, NJ with my Marauder to race John ,(aka "JET") and after we raced against eachother with our Marauders (with John winning all three races by literally hundreths of a second) he let me drive his car on the way to the resteraunt that we went to eat at. I hadn't even known about John upgrading the factory brakes on his MM, but as soon as I layed my foot on the brake pedal for the first time on his car, I said to John.."Wow! These brakes work excellent".. ..and then he told me that they're Baer brakes.

The only reason why I haven't chosen the Baer brakes for my Marauder is because I wouldn't be able to get the 16" steel wheels on the front that I use for the snow tires. Ofcourse John has a bigger set of Baer's on the the front of his car than I'll be using on my Chevelle, but even the ones I've chosen for the Chevelle I'm sure will still be a big improvement over the 1970 factory brakes that are currently on it.

merc6
01-16-2006, 04:06 PM
I usualy go on ebay for small stuff and use paypal so there is 2 elecronic logs of money going "Somewhere". Glad you found it ;)

BillyGman
01-16-2006, 04:20 PM
I usualy go on ebay for small stuff and use paypal so there is 2 elecronic logs of money going "Somewhere". ;)Yep, that's exactly what I did too. Sometimes I just wonder about businesses on there that do a lot of transactions, but don't even have their own website. Hopefully I'll get what I paid for, because I spent about $1K. The biz in question doesn't have any bad feedback against him. It's all positive, and it's a lengthy list too. However, he's only been on e-bay since Nov 2005.

martyo
01-16-2006, 07:01 PM
Billy: No call to me ffor financial/legal advice first? I am offended! :D

BillyGman
01-17-2006, 12:15 PM
Billy: No call to me ffor financial/legal advice first? I am offended! :DLOL.....well ya know, I have to spread the burden around a little bit, so it was someone else's turn this time around....

SergntMac
01-17-2006, 12:28 PM
Yes, the Baer's are excellent, good choice. Hope the project is going well.

Merc-O-matic
01-17-2006, 03:41 PM
[QUOTE=BillyGman]I was going to post this in the "Garage" forum, but since this has nothing to do with Marauders, I thought it should go here.....

Does anyone know of a place that might have front Baer brake kits in stock for muscle cars??? I can't find anyone who will be able to get these kits for my 70 Chevelle any sooner than 8 weeks from now!! I even called Baer directly, and they also told me that they're 8 weeks behind on these.:mad2:

My Chevelle is in the middle of a body-off restoration, and it sure would be nice if I can just have the entire brake system installed before the body goes back on the frame! Can anyone help? I'm specifically looking for the Baer "Serious Street" kit since it utilizes the factory stock spindles, and allows the use of 15" wheels on GM A-body cars.

That's exactly what I need on my '72 Skylark....Baer brakes.
Original stock brakes can't cut it into today's world. After 80 MPH
forget it.....!
Let me know what you find out. Thanks.

BillyGman
01-17-2006, 05:46 PM
That's exactly what I need on my '72 Skylark....Baer brakes.
Original stock brakes can't cut it into today's world. After 80 MPH
forget it.....!
Let me know what you find out. Thanks. All is I can tell you for now, is that at least for GM A-body cars (which I believe includes yours) Baer will make you wait 8-12 weeks for their brakes even if you placed an order directly with them. And the same goes with almost all of their distributing dealers. but if you want them sooner, then you can just go on e-bay, and use the search feature to type in "Baer brakes" and that will take you right to this place that I found, because they're the only ones on there selling them. But if you're ready to buy now, then you better do it soon, because as of last night, there were only three kits left after I bought one, and I haven't found anyone else that has them in stock.

I'm speaking specifically about the Baer front brake kits that use the 11" rotors which do not require you to change the factory stock spindles, and will still enable you to use 15" wheels on your car. Baer also makes the 12" and the 13" rotor kits for our GM A-body cars, but they will require a spindle change as well as the use of 17" & 18" wheels respectively (not my cup of tea for 60's & 70's muscle cars, but to each his own).

BillyGman
01-17-2006, 05:58 PM
Yes, the Baer's are excellent, good choice. Hope the project is going well. Thanks. Yes it is for the most part. there already is some hurdles that I didn't expect, but there's light at the end of the tunnel. I'll give you an example......

I have the rear end all picked out (after much online shopping I might add). I'm almost ready to order it. But I want to go with it the 5/8" diameter wheel stud option that's offered with it (something tells me I'm going to need it). But to my surprise, what I'm finding is even places like Centerline Wheels, and American racing do not generally offer their wheels with holes that can accomodate the 5/8" diameter wheel studs. So I might have to make a compromise in looks, and choose chromed steel circle track wheels, which are all offered with the 5/8" stud option.

Another compromise I might have to make is about my desire to use an O/D transmission with this set-up. The only one I've found that can handle the torque of this engine not only costs up to $4,500, but it actually weighs in at a whopping 100 LBS more than a TH400 transmission does, and adding another 100 LBS that far up front is anything but desireable for weight transfer and traction. I also might very well have to cut a hole in the floor just to fit that O/D trans under there (it's a 4L80) So I might just settle for a TH400 ( a very much beefed-up one at that). but the project is still young yet.... :)

Ross
01-19-2006, 04:17 PM
Billy, when you said Shot In The Dark, I thought you had put a night vision device on your .50 BMG!

BillyGman
01-19-2006, 06:51 PM
Billy, when you said Shot In The Dark, I thought you had put a night vision device on your .50 BMG!LOL....I didn't even see that coming....good one. :baaa: