PDA

View Full Version : Heated Washer Fluid

DEFYANT
01-16-2006, 07:00 PM
Am I the only one that finds it obsurd a car company (Buick regarding the Lucern (sp?) can spend millions on advertizing to brag about heated washer fluid?

"Mr Customer, you should buy this car because it has heated washer fluid"

Thats the message I hear in that commercial.

I do agree that it is a great idea, I'd like it on my CVPI, but not for the only brag during a car commercial.

:shake:

What next?

CRUZTAKER
01-16-2006, 07:31 PM
Am I the only one that finds it obsurd a car company can spend millions on heated washer fluid?

Funny you mention this...

I just saw the comercial, laughed, and said to Jessy that I want to go check out the car,...just to see how they did the heating mod. :P
And maybe leave a calling card. :burnout:
I'll go :hide: now.

DEFYANT
01-16-2006, 07:43 PM
I like the mod also. And if I drove any car everyday in the morning hours when the windows are frosty or icy, I'd be very interested.

Hey, this could turn into a new mod ya'know...

But to spend the coin to brag about that seems like a waste of money. Surely there are other bells and whistles this car has to offer.

bigslim
01-16-2006, 08:01 PM
It is much better to have a remote starter. I start the car and by the time I go outside the windows have melted enough of the frost or snow for an easy clean up. I am still not sure about spraying hot fluid on a sub-below windsheild. They had this down at the Autoshow last year. It works by heating up the washer reservoir. They promised me that it would work without any damage to the car. I still would put the money towards a remote starter.

Joe Walsh
01-16-2006, 08:31 PM
It is much better to have a remote starter. I start the car and by the time I go outside the windows have melted enough of the frost or snow for an easy clean up. I am still not sure about spraying hot fluid on a sub-below windsheild. They had this down at the Autoshow last year. It works by heating up the washer reservoir. They promised me that it would work without any damage to the car. I still would put the money towards a remote starter.

That's what I was thinking when I saw the Buick commercial last night...

dwasson
01-16-2006, 09:23 PM
This is from the website for the Hotshot (http://www.webasto-hotshot.com/index_us.php), an aftermarket, washer fluid heater.

How hot does the fluid get?
The company's engineers have years of experience in developing solutions for electrically heating liquids and designing innovative heating products. They determined the optimal temperature of the washer fluid to clear the windshield without causing the glass to crack or shatter.
The fluid is sprayed at about 145 °F (63 °C). HotShot's engineers have determined the precise temperature required to clear away frost, ice, snow, tree sap, insect grime, oil, wax, road dust, and dirt.

I dunno. I can see it being useful. A buddy added it to his car and he loves it.

bigslim
01-16-2006, 09:30 PM
This is from the website for the Hotshot (http://www.webasto-hotshot.com/index_us.php), an aftermarket, washer fluid heater.

How hot does the fluid get?
The company's engineers have years of experience in developing solutions for electrically heating liquids and designing innovative heating products. They determined the optimal temperature of the washer fluid to clear the windshield without causing the glass to crack or shatter.
The fluid is sprayed at about 145 °F (63 °C). HotShot's engineers have determined the precise temperature required to clear away frost, ice, snow, tree sap, insect grime, oil, wax, road dust, and dirt.

I dunno. I can see it being useful. A buddy added it to his car and he loves it.
I did not. Oh, you have another friend??

dwasson
01-16-2006, 09:43 PM
Oh, you have another friend??

My mother said something about "bad touching" and told me that you and I can't be friends anymore.

B.C. Bake
01-16-2006, 10:09 PM
what about the old remidy.... isopropyl rubbing alcohol and disstiled water melts ice and does'nt freeze. somewhere around 60 alc 40 water. Done deal.:cool:

Jolly Roger
01-16-2006, 10:52 PM
My girlfriend's 94 E-320 Benz has heated washer fluid.
All they did was run the power steering or the trans line through the washer bottle to heat the liquid.
Big deal.

dwasson
01-17-2006, 12:13 AM
My girlfriend's 94 E-320 Benz has heated washer fluid.
All they did was run the power steering or the trans line through the washer bottle to heat the liquid.
Big deal.

It was too big a deal for Ford to copy.

grampaws
01-17-2006, 04:27 AM
Just take a long piece of WW hose and run it around the
inlet pipe to the heater core.between the pump and nozzles
Allthe hot ww fluid you want for
$2.00.

Bluerauder
01-17-2006, 07:14 AM
I wouldn't buy a car that didn't have heated washer fluid. :rolleyes: Wait a minute .... I just did. Dayum !!! :rofl:

Reminds me of a rental car story I once heard ... a guy used a warm yellow liquid that he had handy to fill the washer reservoir. Short story .... bad idea ... the practical joke backfired bigtime when the stuff started to freeze on the windshield. :rolleyes: If this post gets deleted, I'll understand. ;)

RoyLPita
01-17-2006, 07:26 AM
What will they think up next???!

Wait!!!! Don't answer!!!!!!!
-Richard Jeni.

ckadiddle
01-17-2006, 07:46 AM
I am still not sure about spraying hot fluid on a sub-below windsheild.
I agree. Had the opposite problem here in FL. A number of years ago, went to wash our company Chevy van, cool water from hose on windshield that had been sitting in sun equals BIG crack. You can get away with it most of the time, but when conditions are just the wrong combination, there goes the windshield.

Dragcity
01-17-2006, 08:40 AM
I Like the idea of wrapping hose around the heater hose. Probably need some sort of barrier between the WW hose and heater hose?? Don't want it too hot (190F). A little asbestos tape, under & over?? I have a huge roll of that dangerous stuff.

bigjohn
01-17-2006, 07:56 PM
I have the Hot Shot unit installed on my Expedition and love it. Especially since the Marauder is keeping the Mustang company in the garage for the winter, the truck sits outside. I have used it on days with the temps in the single digits with no cracks in the windshield. I installed it myself, very easy to do if you are at all handy with basic hand tools. It installs inline with the hose going to the washer nozzles. It has it's own small tank to heat the fluid rather than trying to retrofit a heater to the existing tank. It heats up within about a minute, much faster than waiting for the engine to get warm enough and it recovers fast. Also helps keep the wipers clean when driving in the kind of slop that freezes instantly when it hits the window. The fluid is heated but not so much that you can get burned if you hold your hand in the spray. This is the second winter season I've had it and as I said above I have never had the windshield crack and have seen no problems with the paint from the heated fluid (nozzles on the Expy are on the hood).

merc6
01-17-2006, 08:11 PM
I love remote start!

DEFYANT
01-17-2006, 08:13 PM
Well, I am glad to see that what started out as a rant, has turned into something worthy.

What is this Hot Shot you refer too? I never heard of it.

dwasson
01-17-2006, 08:55 PM
Well, I am glad to see that what started out as a rant, has turned into something worthy.

What is this Hot Shot you refer too? I never heard of it.

My earlier post had a link to the manufacturer.